Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Because... soccer!

Someone got paid for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I can't decide if the new rebranding is better than Furry Fonz.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

wicka posted:

Our local USL team announced a rebrand last night:

The old crest, for reference:

lmao

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The paw print will probably haunt me until I die.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
What is a river hound?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's like a stream dog or a brook mutt

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Here is Atlanta's away kit
https://mobile.twitter.com/ATLUTD/status/964651105530466304

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

What is a river hound?

No idea

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

What is a river hound?

Their stadium is so close to the river someone has to go fish balls out of it because they cost like $150

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

You don't have to go fish the balls out of the river, but you can if you want.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

wicka posted:

Our local USL team announced a rebrand last night:

The old crest, for reference:

The old one was 100 times better

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

King Peach sounds like a character who should be part of the cast of a Mario game, but isn't.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

The paw print will probably haunt me until I die.

It looks like something you'd see in a leather bar

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
that hound has trump hair

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I like the Pittsburgh logo. It's a good look, the bridge element is a nice touch, though they probably could have done better on the paw print.

Also old logo was poo poo, come on.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vegetable posted:

I like the Pittsburgh logo. It's a good look, the bridge element is a nice touch, though they probably could have done better on the paw print.

lol, source?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Vegetable posted:

with all the stupid rear end Sporting Milwaukee Inter FC poo poo going on I actually like the cheesy-rear end american-style logos that still remain in US soccer, which is why I hope the New England Revolution never change their crest

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Feels Villeneuve posted:

with all the stupid rear end Sporting Milwaukee Inter FC poo poo going on I actually like the cheesy-rear end american-style logos that still remain in US soccer, which is why I hope the New England Revolution never change their crest

They wont because it would cost upwards of 10 dollars, which Robert Kraft will not be spending. It is so bad it's good though.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

None of these owners are competent enough to come up with good team names and logos so they just pick the most generic poo poo possible. I'm glad they at least kept the Riverhounds name because it makes no sense and is thus perfect for lower tier American soccer.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

None of these owners are competent enough to come up with good team names and logos so they just pick the most generic poo poo possible. I'm glad they at least kept the Riverhounds name because it makes no sense and is thus perfect for lower tier American soccer.

RIP Carolina Railhawks

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Feels Villeneuve posted:

RIP Carolina Railhawks

my personal opinion is that the railhawks are just a really dumb portmanteau of two different birds

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
My town is one of many that are getting a United Premier Soccer League startup team this spring, and while I'm pretty turned off by the whole thing, at least they did OK here:

https://twitter.com/bugeatersfc/status/956696274677452800

(Bugeaters is an homage to a nickname the University of Nebraska used in the late 1800s)

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Is it pronounced Bug Eaters or Bugeaters (sort of like brigadier)?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Like it looks. We eat bugs out here on the great plains, you know.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I love it. So much better than trying to appropriate European/South American names with decades of history behind it.

The worst I've come across recently (not sure if it was on here or elsewhere) is San Diego 1904, because S and D are the 19th and 4th letters of the alphabet. It's made worse by it being a potential Anchorman reference.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mickolution posted:

The worst I've come across recently (not sure if it was on here or elsewhere) is San Diego 1904, because S and D are the 19th and 4th letters of the alphabet. It's made worse by it being a potential Anchorman reference.

Urgh

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
True story when they were making an MLS team for Toronto they considered the following names: "Toronto Northmen", "Inter Toronto FC", "Toronto Reds", and "Toronto FC" and all the fans were like "use Toronto FC you loving morons what is wrong with you" and they were like "okay but only because we want a nickname to emerge organically".

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

vyelkin posted:

"Inter Toronto FC"

Ahahahahahaha

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

It really rolls off the tongue

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Real Name Grover posted:

My town is one of many that are getting a United Premier Soccer League startup team this spring, and while I'm pretty turned off by the whole thing, at least they did OK here:

https://twitter.com/bugeatersfc/status/956696274677452800

(Bugeaters is an homage to a nickname the University of Nebraska used in the late 1800s)

Is that a Lincoln brewery?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
One of like eight or nine now, yeah

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Huh. I usually make it down to Lincoln for a day or so when I’m home for Christmas and no one’s ever mentioned going to it.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Bobby Digital posted:

Huh. I usually make it down to Lincoln for a day or so when I’m home for Christmas and no one’s ever mentioned going to it.

Their taproom opened a little more than a year ago, if memory serves. They're good guys but definitely in the lower tier of LNK breweries. They're in the space Blue Blood (which sucks more, gently caress 'em) occupied on West South Street before they opened their new spot.

/derail

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

vyelkin posted:

True story when they were making an MLS team for Toronto they considered the following names: "Toronto Northmen", "Inter Toronto FC", "Toronto Reds", and "Toronto FC" and all the fans were like "use Toronto FC you loving morons what is wrong with you" and they were like "okay but only because we want a nickname to emerge organically".
Toronto Northmen is better imo

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

vyelkin posted:

Tbf even using FC is kinda lame for a league that calls the sport soccer and doesn’t have clubs. Imo just go with the normal [City] [Nickname] and get it over with.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The "FC" poo poo is the worst because the name of the team is not actually Toronto Football Club. It's literally just FC.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Yeah but if you want North American sports to not have transparently artificial marketing poo poo based on applying a thin veneer of sport on top of naked corporatism then I've got some bad news for you

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

vyelkin posted:

Yeah but if you want North American sports to not have transparently artificial marketing poo poo based on applying a thin veneer of sport on top of naked corporatism then I've got some bad news for you

Toronto Soccer Franchise, a Bermuda Corporation with its Principal Place of Business in Toronto; “the Franchisees”

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Toronto Soccer Franchise, a Bermuda Corporation with its Principal Place of Business in Toronto; “the Franchisees”

True story for the first 5 years of their existence Toronto FC were technically owned by the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan because it owned almost 80% of their parent company, Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I think you'll find the FC in Toronto FC stands for First Champions because they're the first champions of the MLS Cup in Canada.