Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
When will people learn there is no "primary borrower" when you co-sign. That poo poo is your responsibility and you get turbofucked when the idiot who couldn't get a loan on their own (gee, I wonder why?) stops paying on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

We should brand the words, "jointly and severally liable" into every cosigner's skin.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Also no one has ever refinanced a loan they couldn't afford to get a co-signer off. I mean, I'm sure they have but for purposes of this lesson IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED. The lender has absolutely no interest in removing the one good borrower from the risk pool.

I know because I've been there.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Also no one has ever refinanced a loan they couldn't afford to get a co-signer off. I mean, I'm sure they have but for purposes of this lesson IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED. The lender has absolutely no interest in removing the one good borrower from the risk pool.

I know because I've been there.

Bingo. I can't blame them for it, but it's still a shame that people think refinancing means something other than "new loan on the same old poo poo". When it comes to student loans, for instance, if you want to release a cosigner, you need to pay off the loan. I used to be really BWM, now I'm OKWM.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Reminder of my sister-in-law’s mother-in-law who is the sole signer on my the sister-in-law and girlfriend’s car, which costs $400 a month. I know I told that story already, but it’s relevant.

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Reminder of my sister-in-law’s mother-in-law who is the sole signer on my the sister-in-law and girlfriend’s car, which costs $400 a month. I know I told that story already, but it’s relevant.

Your sister in law is your girlfriend? I'm really confused here.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

canyoneer posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7yjglo/wife_cosigned_for_a_friends_car_under_the/

Wife co-signed for a friends car under the pretense she’d be taken off the lease in a year and the car would be insured. Friend didn’t take her off, stopped insurance, and totaled car. Anything we can do?

(self.legaladvice)
submitted 2 days ago * by davidoftheyear

Never cosign for anything. Never cosign for anything. Never cosign for anything.

Especially not your dumb friend

After reading this thread enough, I'm starting to think that co-signed loans should be made illegal. People just have no understanding what a co-signed loan entails. If person A can't get the loan without co-signer B, then B needs to just take out the loan themselves. Only exception is for marriages, but I'm not sure if banks consider a loan to a married couple to be the same as a co-signed for loan.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Lysandus posted:

Your sister in law is your girlfriend? I'm really confused here.

Sister in law’s girlfriend’s mother took out a loan for a new Accord at $400 a month while already owning (probably financing) two new-ish S-classes and having just put less than 5% down on a new 4 bedroom house. As a single mother. Accord is being paid by sister-in-law and sister-in-law’s girlfriend, but they aren’t on the loan.

The girlfriend in question runs a dispensary that I suspect may not be reporting all of its income, and the sister in law makes $17.5 an hour as a temp about 90 minutes outside of LA.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I wonder if Mike Pence has tinder for horses on his phone?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Nocheez posted:

When will people learn there is no "primary borrower" when you co-sign. That poo poo is your responsibility and you get turbofucked when the idiot who couldn't get a loan on their own (gee, I wonder why?) stops paying on it.

It boggles my mind that anyone would ever think this.

Like what do they think co-signing is for, if not agreeing to pay off the loan? Do they think it's just like a reference that says "yeah my friend is good for the money, trust me I know him" oh my god that is what they think isn't it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

VitalSigns posted:

It boggles my mind that anyone would ever think this.

Like what do they think co-signing is for, if not agreeing to pay off the loan? Do they think it's just like a reference that says "yeah my friend is good for the money, trust me I know him" oh my god that is what they think isn't it.

Yes, that's exactly what the thought process is. They're used to references for jobs, and they assume this is just like that.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
A horse girl on my FB feed posted details on what looks like asking for a half lease on a horse. A rental horse? Am I looking at a Time Share Horse?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I stopped reading the thread in early December, and as this point I've declared BWM Thread Bankruptcy. Have I missed out on any especially juicy posts on the last 2 months?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My parents stole a $380k condo from me and my fiancee is too poor to sign a prenup

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Volmarias posted:

I stopped reading the thread in early December, and as this point I've declared BWM Thread Bankruptcy. Have I missed out on any especially juicy posts on the last 2 months?

Yes

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Thanks!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My parents stole a $380k condo from me and my fiancee is too poor to sign a prenup

Put a bike lock on your condo next time and don't leave it in a bad neighborhood.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Panfilo posted:

Put a bike lock on your condo next time and don't leave it in a bad neighborhood.

There's a joke about concrete foundations weighing more than 400 pounds in here somewhere, but I just can't do it. The threadstreams are crossed enough as it is.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

After reading this thread enough, I'm starting to think that co-signed loans should be made illegal. People just have no understanding what a co-signed loan entails. If person A can't get the loan without co-signer B, then B needs to just take out the loan themselves. Only exception is for marriages, but I'm not sure if banks consider a loan to a married couple to be the same as a co-signed for loan.

I think it can be used for a parent to help their kids build up a credit score right? Assuming they have a good relationship.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

potatoducks posted:

I think it can be used for a parent to help their kids build up a credit score right? Assuming they have a good relationship.

The screwing can go both ways, though. Still a bad idea!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

We see it in commercial real estate where Rich Person A is paid a few percent of a project’s loan amount as cash or equity in Developer B’s project when they get a loan from Lender C.

A collects cash or a preferential stake in a project, without having immediate cash outflows, B is able to finance their project at a more reasonable rate, and C sees an improvement in their collateral.

If B is a scoundrel, they can run off afer collecting developer fees, but will probably also be stuck with a guarantee to C, so A feels safe, plus the guarantee will come with a preferential stake in any below cost disposition if they were paid in equity. Additionally, B typically wants to finance another project, so they won’t burn A unless they don’t need any guarantees anymore.

That is how co-signing works where everyone is an adult and knows what they are doing. Not knowing what you are doing when you co-sign lands you in this thread.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Parents good with money?

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/7z7v1l/husband_27m_has_been_resentful_of_me_25f_because/

quote:

We had a budget set for a wedding with me, my parents, him, and his parents all contributing a certain amount. With a month left to go, a lot of the vendors started calling to make sure we could all pay up. Unfortunately, we had a lot of bad luck strike us. His dad needed emergency surgery, which caused them to bow out of their contributions. My parents for some reason were shocked by how much they owed and stated they couldn't afford to pay for all of it. And this was despite the fact he had a spreadsheet detailing how much they would owe with them going "Yeah, no problem".

It's not like he had this money sitting in his bank account. He had to sell off all his investments, while also pulling from his emergency fund (he likes to hangout in Personal Finance). His original goal was to let these investments keep growing so that we could one day get a house. As a result, we were barely able to scrape by the wedding with only a couple hundred bucks to our name.

It's been one month now and he's still really bitter about it all. Our honeymoon was been indefinitely delayed. He doesn't like to think about the wedding. He doesn't like my parents at all. And he even ends up placing blame on me for wanting this "super expensive wedding" and not being able to see that my parents would pull this card on us. All he says is "focus on saving your money".

We're in a better position than we were after the wedding. We both have jobs, we don't have post wedding debt. It's just a matter of us building our savings back up, but I think what burns him the most is that he got blindsided. He now feels like he has to start all over into what he had initially put 5 years of investing into.

I'm not sure what I can do at this point. Should I just continue to give him space, or is there a certain point where he has to get over it? I just feel lost about what I can do.

tl;dr: Husband had to sell all his investments and use up all his savings to pay up for wedding, because of bad luck. He's been bitter since.

Gee like why doesn't he just get over it?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Harry posted:

Gee like why doesn't he just get over it?

Yeah it was just "bad luck". I can see that marriage lasting a long time with her destroying his investments with an excessive wedding and the parents being deadbeats who he hates.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Maybe it will help him feel better if he mentally frames it differently.
He didn't spend 5 years of investment savings on a wedding, he instead spent it on his dad's surgery, his inlaws' new kitchen, his wife's sibling's trip to France, etc!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I love the thought process. Instead of scaling back the wedding due to insufficient funds, dig into emergency funds and long-term investments to pay for it.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Perfectly reasonable, why post it here?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

please knock Mom! posted:

I love the thought process. Instead of scaling back the wedding due to insufficient funds, dig into emergency funds and long-term investments to pay for it.

Parents probably got the bill a week before the wedding and were like "lol gently caress that" Shame they didn't have the decency to fake a major illness they need surgery for.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Weddings get a bad rap around BFC, but uh... it's literally the single most important thing in the entire world to many people and they'd wipe out their savings with a smile on their face if it meant their dream wedding was a reality.

I fault them both for not knowing what's important to their partner.

Obviously the parents suck too but you're an idiot if you count on receiving Gift Money until it's in your hand.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

It sounds to me like the parents agreed, then backed out after the wedding was over when the bill came

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

TheQuietWilds posted:

It sounds to me like the parents agreed, then backed out after the wedding was over when the bill came

"With a month left to go, a lot of the vendors started calling to make sure we could all pay up."

Sounds like they could've just bailed along with the parents and scaled everything down a tad. But then again maybe they got a really good wedding out of months of planning + 5 years of investments

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
He had no idea she wanted this wedding so bad, and she had no idea he wanted to buy a house

Like she was actually calling it a success that they're coming out of this without any "Post wedding debt", lol

They're not on the same financial page at ALL

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah but his page is an actual page from a book and her page is a piece of yellow stained toilet paper with crayon markings all over it

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Yeah but his page is an actual page from a book and her page is a piece of yellow stained toilet paper with crayon markings all over it

I agree with you personally, but I understand not everyone does.

I've seen fortunes pissed away on Bar Mitzvahs and Quincinieras, but... whatever makes people happy I guess.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

He had no idea she wanted this wedding so bad, and she had no idea he wanted to buy a house

Like she was actually calling it a success that they're coming out of this without any "Post wedding debt", lol

They're not on the same financial page at ALL

It was for her. She got her wedding at the expense of his premarital assets and now they can rebuild "together".

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7z5z73/20000000_verdict_against_hoa_owners_now_liable/

quote:

Teenager was injured by playground equipment, HOA was sued and lost because they knew the equipment was defective, didn't follow the manufacturer's maintenance plan, and didn't do their own maintenance. The HOA is currently appealing the verdict. Insurance only covers $2,000,000, leaving $18,000,000. There are 205 homes total. This is in Las Vegas, NV.

My girlfriend owns a home in this community, and we're trying to assess her options. Is it a foregone conclusion that the HOA will have to come up with this money and hit the homeowners with an assessment? With the HOA found liable, can the HOA hold the property management company responsible? Is there anything she and the other homeowners can do about this mess?

Adequate maintenance? Insurance? Why that costs money!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Our 401k provider gave us a cool stat recently.

About 75% of husbands say that they fully and completely handle the family finances without input from the wives.

About 75% of wives say they're involved in handling the family finances.

No wonder errybody gets divorced

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

Hoodwinker posted:

We should brand the words, "jointly and severally liable" into every cosigner's skin.

If people learned the liability involved Judge Judy would cease to exist.

meat police fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 21, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is it legal for a HOA to make its subjects pay for the consequences of its illegal behavior, or can the homeowners just laugh and tell the HOA to get hosed?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is it legal for a HOA to make its subjects pay for the consequences of its illegal behavior, or can the homeowners just laugh and tell the HOA to get hosed?

HOAs can lien the real property within the association and its liens are senior to mortgages. Which is to say that homeowners can say get hosed as they hand over the keys. Also, the board probably has bylaws that the association will pay their legal fees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Hoooooooooooooly poo poo. I just messaged my wife to tell her how much I love her. Jesus loving christ this situation is bad.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 22, 2018