Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

That's a hell of a downside, though. I mean, you're effectively pumping up the point density of your deck to 23-24 (assuming a full set) but only for the runner to steal. Does it actually see much play (for those of you that actually play this game instead of just looking at the pretty cards all day)? I saw someone theorycrafting that if you're really smart with deck construction and really lucky you can force the runner to try to win with 9 points instead of 7 or 8, but that seems like a really specific circumstance AND the runner doesn't give two shits about how many points they "have" to score, it's not like it costs them more resources to steal a 3 than a 1. If they're sitting on 5 or 6 they're really not going to care that they "had to" score 9....right? I know I'm writing a shitload of words about a card that I don't think I'll ever use but I feel like there's some fundamental "thing" there that I'm not really getting. If it sees play regardless of the downside I'm just really undervaluing FA, I guess.

Speaking of playing more, I really want to start playing more over my lunch break (usually ~12-1 CST), if anyone sees me online let's throw down. Username on jinteki is Nekh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

That's a hell of a downside, though. I mean, you're effectively pumping up the point density of your deck to 23-24 (assuming a full set) but only for the runner to steal. Does it actually see much play (for those of you that actually play this game instead of just looking at the pretty cards all day)? I saw someone theorycrafting that if you're really smart with deck construction and really lucky you can force the runner to try to win with 9 points instead of 7 or 8, but that seems like a really specific circumstance AND the runner doesn't give two shits about how many points they "have" to score, it's not like it costs them more resources to steal a 3 than a 1. If they're sitting on 5 or 6 they're really not going to care that they "had to" score 9....right? I know I'm writing a shitload of words about a card that I don't think I'll ever use but I feel like there's some fundamental "thing" there that I'm not really getting. If it sees play regardless of the downside I'm just really undervaluing FA, I guess.

Speaking of playing more, I really want to start playing more over my lunch break (usually ~12-1 CST), if anyone sees me online let's throw down. Username on jinteki is Nekh.

3/2’s are so absurdly powerful because they mean that if you have 5 points, and drop a card into a remote and end your turn, the runner NEEDS to run it or risk losing. With a 4/2 or 5/3, you won’t be able to score it out within a single turn. A 3/2, you CAN. Obviously this applies if you’re at 6 points and 3/1s, but it’s surprisingly difficult to reach 6 points compared to 5. With 3/2s at 5 points, you can place a card in a remote and threaten a win. Without 3/2s, you can’t do that - you'll need to use a 4/2 or 5/3, and at that point it's REALLY predictable that you're trying to score out.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Thanks a ton for that, I figured there was something I was really coming up short on. I've been thinking a lot about card game design lately - I found out I had enough leftover Nintendo credit to grab the GBC Pokemon TCG game on a whim, and the limited card pool there makes it really easy to recognize when there's something that's anomalously over- or under-powered. Some cards in Netrunner have kind of the same thing going on, but even though the card pool is limited it's still big enough that it's hard getting some "big picture" game meta ideas. Merger was one of those where I felt I must be missing part of the picture that makes it worth playing.

...not that a large card pool really excuses missing the obvious mechanical benefit of "you can force a run-or-lose by putting this in a remote on your last click"...

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

All this talk about how Merger is still good just because it's a 3/2 even though it has a negative effect should serve as a reminder that we should all be thankful that Core 1.0 is gone. Why? Because Astroscript Pilot Program is absolutely bananas in context. It was a 3/2 agenda (which already made it good) that gave you the ability to add another advancement token to an agenda after you scored it.

That was also the age of San-San too, if I'm not mistaken.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

All this talk about how Merger is still good just because it's a 3/2 even though it has a negative effect should serve as a reminder that we should all be thankful that Core 1.0 is gone. Why? Because Astroscript Pilot Program is absolutely bananas in context. It was a 3/2 agenda (which already made it good) that gave you the ability to add another advancement token to an agenda after you scored it.

That was also the age of San-San too, if I'm not mistaken.

Yes, they were both right there in NBN core 1.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

There were literal years that if you weren’t playing yellow you were loving up.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Oh Fastro Biotics, you were so dumb.Run on me and I'll tag and bag you, don't and I'll score an astro from hand then win the game.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Q!=E

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

that yellow bullshit is 95% of why i quit the game

the other 5% was lukas taking his ambien, hopping on twitter, and handing out rulings the player base would poo poo itself over only to have them countered in the next faq

the last 10% (gently caress you i'll do what i want we give 110% to hating things here at DeviantCo) was their inability to write a decent loving card for any runners except blue

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Deviant posted:

the last 10% (gently caress you i'll do what i want we give 110% to hating things here at DeviantCo) was their inability to write a decent loving card for any runners except blue

You must have fallen out of a timeline where Criminal got good cards. Can I go there instead?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

The Deleter posted:

You must have fallen out of a timeline where Criminal got good cards. Can I go there instead?

i'm sorry (EDIT) did we live in a world where gabe, account siphon, desperado, and sneakdoor (EDIT) didn't exist?

e3 feedback implants
forged activation orders?

Deviant fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 17, 2018

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Blue got all the good cards until red did but red’s bullshit was ultimately even worse.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Deviant posted:

i'm sorry (EDIT) did we live in a world where gabe, account siphon, desperado, and sneakdoor (EDIT) didn't exist?

e3 feedback implants

Did you drop out during the Genesis Cycle or something?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Probably Spin, around when I did. He missed SIFR, Museum of History, red card dominance/Criminal being total poo poo, a lot of yellow bullshit, and so much else.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Deviant posted:

e3 feedback implants

Holy poo poo you're from a time warp. You missed SIFR, Faust, Omar, Rumor Mill, the Conspiracy breakers and Vandis Armory, buddy. Crims got two cards worth anything and both are banned. NBN got every single advantage ever whilst Weyland got pitiful traces and ICE flimsier than my mental health. Check out some of the articles on Stimhack around the time if you wanna get up to speed.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

What the actual gently caress, jinteki.net seems to have completely eaten my account. Awesome.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

What the actual gently caress, jinteki.net seems to have completely eaten my account. Awesome.
I know they do that if you've been away for more than a few months. Otherwise, a weird bug?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

I know they do that if you've been away for more than a few months. Otherwise, a weird bug?

I played my games in the tournament last week there. And it's totally gone - it let me register with my same username, and my decks are gone. gently caress.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

loving NBN, man.
https://netrunnerdb.com/en/card/20119

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I want to buy some new packs for my wife and I. She likes to play Kate is there a modern version of Kate?

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 18, 2018

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Ropes4u posted:

I want to buy some new packs for my wife and I. She likes to play Kate is there a modern version of Kate?

Haley is vaguely Kate-ish in terms of click efficiency. Smoke has a recurring credit to use every turn (and all the synergies of being in Stealth.) But there's not really anyone else that just gives Kate's across-the-board discount. The thing about Kate was that she didn't really lend herself to a specific style of deck building. She just did everything well and made incremental advantage better, which lead to things like Pre-Paid Kate.

Of course, if you're playing for fun, Boggs is hardly going to break down your door with the rotation police.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Of course, if you're playing for fun, Boggs is hardly going to break down your door with the rotation police.

He'll just siphon your bank account repetedly

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Thank you, I will give Haley a spin...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, new MWL. I kinda like it, honestly.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Get hosed CI.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
:siren:Rumor Mill is no longer banned, now just restricted:siren:

Tapwrm is also restricted, because Crims don’t get to have fun (or money) I guess.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

:siren:Rumor Mill is no longer banned, now just restricted:siren:

Same for Mumbad City Hall. I need to go raid my Card Jail now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

Tapwrm is also restricted, because Crims don’t get to have fun (or money) I guess.
What other methods do Crims have of getting dosh?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

What other methods do Crims have of getting dosh?

GPI tapnet and Zamba. Crims are basically getting hosed because of shaper bullshit, as is usual.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Not sure what's going on with FFG, Rumor Mill is still bonkers, while I literally had to look up Brain Rewiring, which I have never seen played.

FFG is concerned about the wrong things again.

Tappy-taps and VLC are both correct though

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Rumour Mill is bonkers, but is it really more busted than Employee Strike or Film Critic? I feel the three cards have rather comparable power level. Though I'll admit I'd prefer them just restricting/banning Stinson.

Brain Rewiring was never played except as one of the Cerebral Imaging flavors, where it provided a very comfy instakill combo.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

What's the instakill there?

Ran into an interesting situation with my wife last night - we play super casually and she'll often ask for advice on what I'd do in a given situation. Well...she ran on HQ and could access two cards, which was my whole hand. She saw that both were Punitive Counterstrikes. I had a hell of a nice econ going, so I could definitely afford them. She asked what to do and I told her honestly I didn't know - just fill her hand, minimize card access, and run on R&D hoping to nail a 1 or 2? It was a lousy situation from her side of things (and then she immediately faceplanted a 3-pointer, and it was over). I don't really do Weyland except when I'm messing around with her so that's the first time I've had multiple PCs in HQ with enough econ on my side to play them and ensure the traces go off.

e: I guess what I mean to ask is what are some good ways for a runner to neutralize untrashable threats?

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 21, 2018

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

berenzen posted:

GPI tapnet and Zamba. Crims are basically getting hosed because of shaper bullshit, as is usual.

Good thing crim has so many inefficient breakers since they're designed to be "swimming in money" :thumbsup:

Ran into an interesting situation with my wife last night - we play super casually and she'll often ask for advice on what I'd do in a given situation. Well...she ran on HQ and could access two cards, which was my whole hand. She saw that both were Punitive Counterstrikes. I had a hell of a nice econ going, so I could definitely afford them. She asked what to do and I told her honestly I didn't know - just fill her hand, minimize card access, and run on R&D hoping to nail a 1 or 2? It was a lousy situation from her side of things (and then she immediately faceplanted a 3-pointer, and it was over). I don't really do Weyland except when I'm messing around with her so that's the first time I've had multiple PCs in HQ with enough econ on my side to play them and ensure the traces go off.

e: I guess what I mean to ask is what are some good ways for a runner to neutralize untrashable threats?

That’s definitely an unfavorable position for the runner, but the correct option is probably to try to force the corp to rez ice to drain their economy. This probably should have been done more aggressively earlier on, but Weyland often has tons of dosh anyways so it may not be enough. Aside from draining cash, that sorta situation is why it’s important as a runner to have some way to mitigate meat damage.

Joke answer: run Laramy Fisk cards to flood the corp's hand, forcing them to discard the punitives for more important cards.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 21, 2018

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
FFG better not touch my beautiful money-making son Stinson. I won't have it.

Destrado
Feb 9, 2001

I thought, What a nice little city, it suits me fine. It suited me fine so I started to change it.

Elizabeth Mills posted:

Not sure what's going on with FFG, Rumor Mill is still bonkers, while I literally had to look up Brain Rewiring, which I have never seen played.

Did you not see Worlds?

And I mean yeah Crim is hurting for some power cards right now, but thinking Tapwrm Gang Sign was the thing they needed to keep them in the game isn't a place you want to be in.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i havent followed the card pool in a while so i got a good laugh out of hasty relocation, that looked loving ridiculous for AD combos

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I just played rear end Laminator Apex.

It's good, y'all.

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

What's the instakill there?

Use CI and HB cards to fast advance Brain Rewiring, force the runner down to 1 card in hand. Score a Show of Force, or play 2 Neural EMPs if they had ran instead. Considering CI's massive amount of money and card draw it was fairly easy to accomplish. They also used Mother Goddess, Loki and Excalibur to keep things difficult to get into, which is also why MoGo is restricted as well.

Boggs really took a hammer to CI, and it is a good thing.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Gang Sign & Tapwrm both being restricted destroys my Criminal deck xD Back to the drawing board!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

On the one hand, they should’ve just banned CI and restricted MCAAP. On the other hand, the fact that they’re willing to aggressively update the b&r list is pretty good imo.

Also, tapwrm was best in shaper decks and they’re reprinting siphon, so there’s hope yet for criminal.

StashAugustine posted:

i havent followed the card pool in a while so i got a good laugh out of hasty relocation, that looked loving ridiculous for AD combos

There was a CI deck for a while that could reliably goldfish a kill by turn 4-5 that relied on hasty+AD+Estelle Moon. Here’s an early iteration that top 8ed euros last year, but it got better closer to rotation iirc.

fomo sacer fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Feb 22, 2018