Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Fabulousity posted:

It's just a bunch of atoms! They're tiny! We're big manly men! Some other early nuclear tests that featured similar craziness: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_core

A botched attempt at Jenga killed one guy:

And another two were killed when a screwdriver slipped:

They eventually used that "demon core" in a weapon test, and concluded afterwards that the multiple criticality accidents it had experienced had slightly increased its yield in the detonation. :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I'm not dumb enough to think that this would work, but I'm also not smart enough to explain why it wouldn't.
Grounding works by distributing a charge over a large area, such as the ground. The soil isn't the important factor, the area is.

EDIT: Beaten by a lot, I was just excited that I knew the answer because I literally just learned the details this week.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nice piece of fish posted:

Lawyers have to deal with some hosed up depressing poo poo sometimes, trust me. Don't go to law school. Also don't go to medical school because jesus christ what in the goddamned hell.

property/casualty insurance adjusters, too. Lots of fatal accidents, with & without vehicles.

Three weeks ago My investigation of frozen plumbing lines took me into a morgue.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PainterofCrap posted:

property/casualty insurance adjusters, too. Lots of fatal accidents, with & without vehicles.

Three weeks ago My investigation of frozen plumbing lines took me into a morgue.

Ghosts causing cold spots hosed up the plumbing again, eh?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

They forgot to turn the heater on.

Yes, morgues have heaters; at least, this one does, since it has an uninsulated outside wall with windows in it.

They’re supposed to maintain 40-degrees. It got down to something like 17 & a supply line on one of the toilets (don’t ask) froze & ruptured.

This one was loaded. The assistant they sent in with me had to shift gurneys all over so I could get where I needed to to inspect everything.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 21, 2018

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

`Nemesis posted:

You want to ground equipment so if there's a short/failure, the electricity has a safe pathway out of the equipment, rather than say shocking an operator or energizing the cabinet.

I've posted about this ad nauseum in the diy forum, but this is a common misconception caused by poor terminology. The ground wire (ECG) that runs along with circuits in a building is a low impedance path back to the source (which is the point where it bonds with the neutral conductor, at the first means of disconnect). It exists to make the fault protection operate as quickly as possible and is never supposed to have current on it unless there is a fault. It does not mean that any person is completely safe in any situation, in the event of a fault.

If everything is sized correctly, the fault current and voltage rise on the ground conductor will be limited as much as possible, but electricity takes all paths.

The ground rod that is bonded to the ECG near the service entrance is for lightning protection.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

and thats without touching on the grounded conductor vs grounding conductor confusion

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFAvOcuJyHY

This is the room with the electricity...

mala
Jun 21, 2010
Yeah you should connect your earth and neutral together for a bunch of reasons. It's nice to put an earth electrode in the ground too, with a link between the two for reasons. From the supply transformer out in the street or wherever current will flow between your active & neutral or whatever you lot call it under normal conditions and they are the best path for electrons to flow back home after doing stuff, rather than your earth electrode.

If your incoming supply neutral is broken the earth electrode sometimes likes to be that path for electrons as the neutral is broken, so electrons will flow through the earth electrode to ground and try to go back to the earth on the supply transformer. Earth is good because there's a lot of it.

Sometimes someone else's earth electrode is between you and the supply transformer, maybe even an earthed copper pipe, maybe it provides a nice copper path back to the supply transformer across their neutral-earth link and down a nice cable so the electrons go down there. Occassionally people earth things to metal pipes or the earthing system and this is the path electrons take and your pipes are electric and you die.

mala
Jun 21, 2010
Think of the eart as lots and lots of resistors (dirt) in series (dirt between here and where electrons want to go) and in parallel (the earth is quite wide sorta) so any one bit of dirt doesn't have much current (electrons(bits of electricity) flowing through it. I can draw this.

0=====0

The lines are dirt (conductors).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Now that's an interesting suicide method, death by gas-propelled cactus

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That looks like a Peugeot 206, so it's a gamble whether the airbag will actually go off. The garden is behind the airbag anyway, I'd be more worried about poo poo flying about in a collision.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Considering pretty much every vehicle in the last 20 years had the same defective takata airbags, that's probably safer, the dirt will absorb the metal shrapnel.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So I just found out that the emergency management plan at my work is from 1998, the phone tree has nobody on it that still works here, and all the riser rooms are mislabeled. Also it didn’t have an entry for the problem at hand, which was that the water main had rusted over and couldn’t be shut off to deal with a massive leak that we don’t know the location of.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

The believable part of that dead baby story was the mother taking photos and posting them on FB.

I've seen people end family relationships over dead baby pictures all over their feed.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, uh, gently caress no I would not ride in that passenger seat. I have, on separate occasions:

1. Been in a car accident, and

2. Had cactus spines in my hide.

Didn't really enjoy either situation on its own, but gently caress combining the two.

Plus, unless you've gotten small cactus spines in your skin, you might not know that they're actually sometimes worse - unless you can get at them with tweezers (or do the glue trick) they'll embed in your skin for a couple weeks and cause painful blisters.

Farmdizzle fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 21, 2018

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwxZWGA294M

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PainterofCrap posted:

Yes, morgues have heaters; at least, this one does, since it has an uninsulated outside wall with windows in it.

Uhhh, why are there outside windows in your morgue?

EDIT - nevermind, I just assumed the morgue was either underground or at ground level. Of course, that doesn't need to be the case.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Feb 21, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Powershift posted:

Considering pretty much every vehicle in the last 20 years had the same defective takata airbags, that's probably safer, the dirt will absorb the metal shrapnel.

I was thinking Peugeot electrics but yeah takata airbags double gamble!

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

TaurusTorus posted:

So I just found out that the emergency management plan at my work is from 1998, the phone tree has nobody on it that still works here, and all the riser rooms are mislabeled. Also it didn’t have an entry for the problem at hand, which was that the water main had rusted over and couldn’t be shut off to deal with a massive leak that we don’t know the location of.

Depending on the diameter of the main, the utility I used to work for (co-incidentally doing emergency management) would use LN2 whenever it needed to replace a valve and closing something further upstream would be a problem from a KPI perspective.

We also had a constant problem of people using petrol-powered tools in pits, only they'd leave their gas detectors above the pit so it wouldn't 'nuisance' trip. In the end we went to hydraulic tools with a remote power pack.

Good times.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Fabulousity posted:

And another two were killed when a screwdriver slipped:
Only Slotin died in the second accident; Alvin Graves was badly injured but lived.

I can give you two wild details about that accident (from this very math-y paper):
1. No one was wearing their dosimeters at the time of the accident.
2. In an attempt to fix that, after the accident one guy went back and put them all on the critical assembly. Shortly thereafter, he went back in the room again to get everyone’s jackets.

Sagebrush posted:

They eventually used that "demon core" in a weapon test, and concluded afterwards that the multiple criticality accidents it had experienced had slightly increased its yield in the detonation. :science:
AFAIK it was melted down.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

shelley posted:

Only Slotin died in the second accident; Alvin Graves was badly injured but lived.

I can give you two wild details about that accident (from this very math-y paper):
1. No one was wearing their dosimeters at the time of the accident.
2. In an attempt to fix that, after the accident one guy went back and put them all on the critical assembly. Shortly thereafter, he went back in the room again to get everyone’s jackets.

AFAIK it was melted down.

quote:

The press release was where I saw the phrase “three-dimensional sunburn” for the first time.

quote:

The photographs were, well, terrible. They included the ones from the Annals of Internal Medicine article, but also many more. Some showed Slotin naked, posing with his injuries. The look on his face was tolerant. There were a few more of his hand injuries, and then the time skips: internal organs, removed for autopsy. Heart, lungs, intestines, each arranged cleanly and clinically. But it’s jarring to see photographs of him on the bed, unwell but alive, and then in the next frame, his heart, neatly prepared. The photo above, of just his hands, is one of the tamest of the bunch, though in some sense, one of the saddest (there is a helplessness, almost like begging, in the position). I didn’t make copies of the really awful ones. History is often very voyeuristic — I joke with students that I read dead people’s mail for a living — but, as I commiserated with Mullin over Twitter, at some point you start to almost feel complicit, as silly as that notion is.

:stonklol: Everything about this fills me with a certain dread that I can't quite put words to.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I had to help clean up a methanol spill this afternoon and as a precaution am being lit as gently caress for the next 6 hours AMA

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Going back to Moose stories from a few pages back, I grew up in Montana and my mom ran a couple of the local landfills and transfer sites.

Most of her employees were trucker/construction types. One of them (Rod) normally drove a pickup, but his wife needed it for something that day, so he took her Corolla. Being 6'4 or so, he had to move the seat all the way back, and lean it back to just to fit.

Coming down the pass, big rear end moose ran out in front of the Corolla. It's belly was taller than the car. Hit the legs, moose buckled, the roof of car sheared off the bottom of the moose, covering the car in blood and guts. Moose kinda gets stuck on top of the car. Cops get there, they run up and don't see any movement at first, assume like most moose related incidents it's just a call to the tow truck, the coroner and the roadkill guy.

Then Rod coughs. They clean the moose bits off, and he's conscious. Had to get the jaws of life to open the door. But, because he was leaned back, the bar above the door scraped the side of his head, and his forehead got a little dented, but he was generally fine. Except for the part where he almost drowned in moose blood. Apparently he was coughing up bits that could have been him or moose for the next 3 days.

If he'd been in his pickup, instantly dead, no question. Instead, he didn't even spend the night in the hospital. But, Rod says he likes his steak more done than rare now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

shame on an IGA posted:

I had to help clean up a methanol spill this afternoon and as a precaution am being lit as gently caress for the next 6 hours AMA

How many jello shooters can you eat in a minute?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It would be a very unique feeling to see a quick flash of light but really feel nothing, for an instant, but know for certain that your days are now numbered in the single digits.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Imagined posted:

It would be a very unique feeling to see a quick flash of light but really feel nothing, for an instant, but know for certain that your days are now numbered in the single digits.

According to the cleaners at Chernobyl, a lethal dose of radiation feels like it’s raining on your face even when it’s not raining.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

beep-beep car is go posted:

According to the cleaners at Chernobyl, a lethal dose of radiation feels like it’s raining on your face even when it’s not raining.

The bio-robots. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfDa8tR25dk

I'm sure this has been posted before but it's a fantastic insight into the Chernobyl cleanup.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

beep-beep car is go posted:

I've had a really bad burn that felt like this. :stonk:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Imagined posted:

"The walking ghost phase."

Relentless posted:

Going back to Moose stories from a few pages back, I grew up in Montana and my mom ran a couple of the local landfills and transfer sites.

Most of her employees were trucker/construction types. One of them (Rod) normally drove a pickup, but his wife needed it for something that day, so he took her Corolla. Being 6'4 or so, he had to move the seat all the way back, and lean it back to just to fit.

Coming down the pass, big rear end moose ran out in front of the Corolla. It's belly was taller than the car. Hit the legs, moose buckled, the roof of car sheared off the bottom of the moose, covering the car in blood and guts. Moose kinda gets stuck on top of the car. Cops get there, they run up and don't see any movement at first, assume like most moose related incidents it's just a call to the tow truck, the coroner and the roadkill guy.

Then Rod coughs. They clean the moose bits off, and he's conscious. Had to get the jaws of life to open the door. But, because he was leaned back, the bar above the door scraped the side of his head, and his forehead got a little dented, but he was generally fine. Except for the part where he almost drowned in moose blood. Apparently he was coughing up bits that could have been him or moose for the next 3 days.

If he'd been in his pickup, instantly dead, no question. Instead, he didn't even spend the night in the hospital. But, Rod says he likes his steak more done than rare now.

#ourChildhood :hfive:

This is the same area where a group of high school students were out joyriding one night and hit an elk. The elk peeled the roof off the car like a sardine can. They hurried back to town, only to realize one of the kids in the back seat was already dead from massive head injuries.

I'd try and be more specific, but that sort of accident happens once every 5-10 years. It's why there are all the white crosses stuck on the sides of highways in MT.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
This is a sign on one of the busiest roads in south-central Alaska:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dannywilson posted:

This is a sign on one of the busiest roads in south-central Alaska:

201? That's a start I guess.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
What's the other team's score?

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
0-201

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

This post is Pretty Good.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

OSHA 0 days since last moose accident

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

OSHA: A moose bit my supervisor once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

osha as gently caress. apparently they have a moose running around inside the closed captioning room, on top of that the narrator has family members present which is dangerous at best and illegal at worst, and on top of all of that bullshit, the entity controlling the moose doesn't even speak the same language as the people who are working around him/her

this is an entirely separate issue from the fact that the data stream itself has likely been compromised by meese or moose-related-entities