Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well MS said they'll stop even the free assistive upgrades, but at least as of yesterday I upgraded my win8.1 pro to 10 pro with the media creation tool downloaded from microsoft.com

So they say one thing and do another, not very surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've still been using old rear end Windows 7 keys from poo poo netbooks to activate Windows 10. Did it last week again.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I would be really surprised if they ever close the Windows 7/81 key upgrade path.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

mystes posted:

Also if enterprise users disable the store functionality then there will probably be no paint application in their installations by default which would not be a great situation.

Even if you disable the Store the pre-installed apps stay.

Or at least usually stay, sometimes for some users on some PCs none of the modern apps show up at all. Which means no Calculator.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
http://standa-note.blogspot.com/2018/02/amsi-bypass-with-null-character.html

:cripes: Goddamnit, Microsoft...

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Anyone could make that mistake. :q:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Stanley Pain posted:

Anyone could make that mistake. :q:

It's okay, you can trust user input, after all, what sort of user would insert null characters in their files?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
I've had Win10 installed as my Bootcamp partition on a 2011 MBP since about Dec 2016 and the strangest thing happened today. (I'm on 1709 now)

I fired up my laptop as usual and it immediately told me that my password for my personal local account needed to be changed.

The only 2 active accounts I keep on this machine are my personal local account and Local Administrator. I have not, nor have I ever used Microsoft-Linked accounts in any way on this machine.

I changed my password to something else, and then changed it right back. But I looked in Computer Management to check and my account had the checkmark to Never Expire.

So now I'm immensely confused as to what could have triggered that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Am I going crazy or are pinned Windows Store apps getting unstuck from the taskbar whenever they update?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Am I going crazy or are pinned Windows Store apps getting unstuck from the taskbar whenever they update?

That would not surprise me in the least. I know the Store App itself doesn't unpin when updated though.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
My dad just bought a new laptop (Lenovo E series) and is worried about crapware.

Is the Win10 restore PC feature good enough to blast everything off it, or should I download a Win10 ISO to reformat the whole thing?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Use microsoft's iso loader to make an install usb, yeah.

e: "media creation tool"

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I wanna put Windows 10 on a laptop I bought that didn’t come with a Windows license. What’s the cheapest way to get a legit Windows 10 license? I don’t have an existing Windows 7/8 key to upgrade from.

A really quick search pointed me to some subreddits where people are selling all sorts of keys for ultra cheap but it sounds too good to be true.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Hit up ebay, pro licences for less than $5 are a thing now.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Hey, here's another "gently caress Windows update" story.

Had a client meeting today. So three hours before I had to take off, I started my notebook to check if everything is in working order. Windows update had a couple of updates queued for installation, so I proceeded to install them - three hours is plenty, right?

Update finished quickly. Hooray.

20 minutes before I had to leave, the Windows Update Assistant deemed it the perfect time to install the Fall Creators Update. Not in the weeks before, nooooo, it had to be loving now.

"To ensure everything goes smoothly, do not shut down or close the computer".
gently caress YOU.

So I kept it open the whole drive, where it fairly quickly got to 72% progress, but then took 5 minutes for every other percent. Cool. Why would a progress indicator be linear, right?

Arrived at the client's site, minimized the Update Assistant, now at 86%, to start my presentation.

10 minutes later, the "Hey, Windows will now reboot, nothing you can do about it, sucker! [Close]" dialog pops up. No way to delay it. And sure enough, it loving shuts down moments later. Well, do I look like an idiot now. Takes another excruciating 8 minutes to reboot and finish its poo poo. I hate smalltalk. I hate Windows. I hate my life.

"Windows 10 - wanna babysit your loving computer at every turn?
Boy do we have the right stuff for you."

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah the entire thing is a pile of poo poo.

Queue the apologist crew

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Windows is actively user hostile

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's been user hostile since at least win95, tell me something new :shrug:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

It's been user hostile since at least win95, tell me something new :shrug:

Not to the point it will gently caress your work up just to install a update. In mcbexx's case, it installed AN ENTIRE NEW OS without asking.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Truga posted:

Hit up ebay, pro licences for less than $5 are a thing now.

Like I said it sounds a bit too good to be true?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Generally it technically is, these are usually OEM keys harvested from discarded machines and are officially not allowed to be uses on any other hardware.

As far as home use goes no one gives a poo poo though. Microsoft is never going to crack down on personal-level users who bought legit keys, even if they're using them in a way that goes against the license. Just don't give the seller your card info direct, use something like Paypal, Amazon Pay, etc., and you have pretty much zero risk.

Don't ever use questionable keys for a business though, if you find yourself at the wrong end of a BSA audit they'll smell blood the second they see random OEM keys on non-OEM or non-matching-OEM hardware.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

wolrah posted:

Generally it technically is, these are usually OEM keys harvested from discarded machines and are officially not allowed to be uses on any other hardware.

As far as home use goes no one gives a poo poo though. Microsoft is never going to crack down on personal-level users who bought legit keys, even if they're using them in a way that goes against the license. Just don't give the seller your card info direct, use something like Paypal, Amazon Pay, etc., and you have pretty much zero risk.

Don't ever use questionable keys for a business though, if you find yourself at the wrong end of a BSA audit they'll smell blood the second they see random OEM keys on non-OEM or non-matching-OEM hardware.

Oh yeah I'm not really worried about Microsoft kicking down my door and/or fining me or anything, but it would really suck if Microsoft flipped a switch and disabled all those license keys you know? What even happens when/if that happens? (I'm assuming Microsoft has the power to do this).

And it's for a personal laptop that runs Linux. The Windows installation would exist entirely in a VM (host=Linux), I'm not sure if that complicates things...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Oh yeah I'm not really worried about Microsoft kicking down my door and/or fining me or anything, but it would really suck if Microsoft flipped a switch and disabled all those license keys you know? What even happens when/if that happens? (I'm assuming Microsoft has the power to do this).
They definitely have the power to do this, they've done it in the past for widely distributed keys commonly used with activation hacks, but both historical actions and explicit statements from management make it pretty clear that Microsoft really doesn't care all that much about anything at the personal level. IIRC it was Gates who once flat out said he'd rather have users pirating his software rather than using someone else's.

It would take them almost zero effort to prevent inappropriate OEM keys from activating on other makes of computers, but they haven't done even that.

The business market is where they make their money, and their near monopoly status on consumer PCs is what allows them to maintain such a strong grip on the business market. There's not really any value to them in pissing off end users who believe they've purchased a legitimate key.

quote:

And it's for a personal laptop that runs Linux. The Windows installation would exist entirely in a VM (host=Linux), I'm not sure if that complicates things...
It shouldn't complicate anything.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

wolrah posted:

It would take them almost zero effort to prevent inappropriate OEM keys from activating on other makes of computers, but they haven't done even that.

They can't because the EU doesn't buy into their scam of OEM keys being tied to specific hardware.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Boris Galerkin posted:

You spend another $5 and you've still saved 90% of the cost of a retail license?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

redeyes posted:

Yeah the entire thing is a pile of poo poo.

Queue the apologist crew
Stop posting in this thread.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

mcbexx posted:

Had a client meeting today. So three hours before I had to take off, I started my notebook to check if everything is in working order. Windows update had a couple of updates queued for installation, so I proceeded to install them - three hours is plenty, right?

This is where I would have stopped and noped out of updating on the off chance the update fucks up anywhere. Three hours is nowhere near enough time for risking mission critical operation, just do it when you get home after. :shrug:

Boris Galerkin posted:

If you're in the EU, those $5 keys are salvage keys and completely legal (upheld by court ruling). If you're not in the EU, who the gently caress knows, though Microsoft isn't in the habit of chasing home users as others have mentioned.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Truga posted:

Use microsoft's iso loader to make an install usb, yeah.

e: "media creation tool"

Cheers; is there a way to extract the key from the OEM install so I can use it on the fresh install?

Fake edit: Google says "Windows 10 Installation Media will automatically find this key and input it during installation (installing the correct Edition of Windows 10)." So it will be all good?

VVV Good on ya; thanks.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 22, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yes.

Sometimes it doesn't find it during installation and asks you for a key, but you can skip that and it will find it on booting into Windows. In the rare event that it doesn't do that either (I've had it fail probably half a dozen times across over a hundred machines) then you can pull the key after the fact using OemKey - http://neosmart.net/OemKey/

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

mcbexx posted:

Hey, here's another "gently caress Windows update" story.

Since this is for work, you no doubt have a pro or enterprise licence. If it’s enterprise, your IT group should set update policy properly. If it’s pro, use group policy to set updates to alert when ready for download but not download it until confirmation. That way you can control when each update wave comes.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Delays updating for months, Windows is finally sick of it and forces it.

gently caress this poo poo! I only had MONTHS to update it!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ratbert90 posted:

Delays updating for months, Windows is finally sick of it and forces it.

gently caress this poo poo! I only had MONTHS to update it!

Yeah I just don't see how the guy never saw prompts to update to the FCU when it was released over 4 months ago.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Nam Taf posted:

Since this is for work, you no doubt have a pro or enterprise licence. If it’s enterprise, your IT group should set update policy properly. If it’s pro, use group policy to set updates to alert when ready for download but not download it until confirmation. That way you can control when each update wave comes.

You can't do that with Pro, only Enterprise. Thus the issue.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

redeyes posted:

Microsoft has an operating system for people who never want updates. It's called Windows 3.11

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

fishmech posted:

Microsoft has an operating system for people who never want updates. It's called Windows 3.11

Hey now, XP doesn’t get updates anymore either!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ratbert90 posted:

Hey now, XP doesn’t get updates anymore either!

2018-02 Security Update for Windows XP Embedded SP3 for x86-based Systems (KB4074603) Windows XP Embedded Security Updates 2/12/2018 n/a 1.4 MB
2018-02 Security Update for Windows XP Embedded SP3 for x86-based Systems (KB4074836) Windows XP Embedded Security Updates 2/12/2018 n/a 512 KB
2018-02 Security Update for Windows XP Embedded SP3 for x86-based Systems (KB4057893) Windows XP Embedded Security Updates 2/12/2018 n/a 569 KB
2018-02 Security Update for Windows XP Embedded SP3 for x86-based Systems (KB4074852) Windows XP Embedded Security Updates 2/12/2018 n/a 2.3 MB
2018-01 Security Update for Windows XP Embedded SP3 for x86-based Systems (KB4056615) Windows XP Embedded Security Updates 1/5/2018 n/a 2.4 MB
2018-01 Security Update for Windows XP Embedded SP3 for x86-based Systems (KB4056941) Windows XP Embedded Security Updates 1/5/2018 n/a 647 KB

:colbert:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Does anyone have a good app that can give you reminders for events for Windows 10, other than the Calendar?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

fishmech posted:

2018-02 Security Update for Windows XP Embedded SP3 for x86-based Systems (KB4074603) Windows XP Embedded Security Updates 2/12/2018 n/a 1.4 MB
2018-02 Security Update for Windows XP Embedded SP3 for x86-based Systems (KB4074836) Windows XP Embedded Security Updates 2/12/2018 n/a 512 KB
2018-02 Security Update for Windows XP Embedded SP3 for x86-based Systems (KB4057893) Windows XP Embedded Security Updates 2/12/2018 n/a 569 KB
2018-02 Security Update for Windows XP Embedded SP3 for x86-based Systems (KB4074852) Windows XP Embedded Security Updates 2/12/2018 n/a 2.3 MB
2018-01 Security Update for Windows XP Embedded SP3 for x86-based Systems (KB4056615) Windows XP Embedded Security Updates 1/5/2018 n/a 2.4 MB
2018-01 Security Update for Windows XP Embedded SP3 for x86-based Systems (KB4056941) Windows XP Embedded Security Updates 1/5/2018 n/a 647 KB

:colbert:

Desktop then. :colbert:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

redeyes posted:

I'm not sure which part of that you believe is unachievable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ratbert90 posted:

Desktop then. :colbert:

"XP Embedded SP3" is just regular SP3 with an extra registry key or two, you'd have seen a lot of people a while ago referring to it as POSReady 2009 because that's the version of it that accepts normal XP Pro keys for install. It'll be updated til at least April 9, 2019