Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lazyfire's LP of Wolfenstein: The New Order also got attention from some MachineGames developers. I think one of them had an account and posted info and concept art, and they sent him some Wolfenstein swag as a thank-you for covering the game so well. A number of viewers (myself included) purchased the game based on his LP so good LPs can actually boost sales somewhat depending on the player's viewer base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

Lazyfire's LP of Wolfenstein: The New Order also got attention from some MachineGames developers. I think one of them had an account and posted info and concept art, and they sent him some Wolfenstein swag as a thank-you for covering the game so well. A number of viewers (myself included) purchased the game based on his LP so good LPs can actually boost sales somewhat depending on the player's viewer base.

Has anyone done a New Colossus LP where they highlight exactly how that game is worse than its predecessor in virtually every way possible?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

A Spider Covets posted:

:yikes:

I always wondered what the big deal with SMG was, because I only read the horror thread in CineD, and all he does in there on the rare occasion he shows up is post really out-there interpretations of films/scenes. I don't remember the stuff he said in there being offensive, just weird poo poo.

Was he the one behind that thread about The Brave Little Toaster being a tremendously sad hosed up movie, or was that someone else?

That's not exactly a hard reading. It's basically the predecessor to Toy Story for playing the existential horror of animate products for all they can in a cartoon.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

A Spider Covets posted:

I always wondered what the big deal with SMG was, because I only read the horror thread in CineD, and all he does in there on the rare occasion he shows up is post really out-there interpretations of films/scenes. I don't remember the stuff he said in there being offensive, just weird poo poo.

Was he the one behind that thread about The Brave Little Toaster being a tremendously sad hosed up movie, or was that someone else?

I'm pretty sure Pick did the brave little toaster thread but I could be wrong.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm pretty sure Pick did the brave little toaster thread but I could be wrong.

Pick did the bee movie thread, I think the brave little toaster was older than that, but I could be wrong too

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

is it really that unfair to say that the existence of the joose saga (for example) is an incredibly goddamn strong deterrent to ever trying phenazepam

like, that's the sort of thing i'm referring to; forums like TCC basically mean that when people do decide to do really dumb poo poo with drugs or try esoteric drugs with lovely effects, the consequences get broadcast to the world instead of only one idiot learning from it. i wouldn't call it the absolute most important angle of the subject, but it's not like it's totally useless.
The first post I read in TCC after joining was posted by some kid who found a pill on the floor in his grandmother's house and asked for an ID, then got impatient and snorted it. An hour or two later, someone IDed it as blood pressure medication.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Don't forget Helldump being quite the trendsetter too.
It seemed like a great idea when people were outing pedophiles, but lots of people, myself included, didn't realize that the whole thing was an angry mob led by the kind of nutcases who doxx people on 4chan, KiwiFarms, PrettyUgluLiar, etc. Great example of how easy it is to get caught up in a witch hunt.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

purple death ray posted:

Pick did the bee movie thread, I think the brave little toaster was older than that, but I could be wrong too
Both of them were her. This one stops halfway through though. She got her life together (sic) and doesn't write massive movie reviews any more.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572938

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Rough Lobster posted:

How are people still being shocked that SMG is awful? I mean, the man almost singlehandedly poisoned a movie discussion forum and it mutated into the tortured, braying beast that Cinema Discusso is today. His posts are like polonium.

well, because he's pretty much the only awful poster doing that thing. he "poisoned" CineD by making it mostly eggheads talking about film theory, and other than him it's mostly people who actually know what they're talking about nowadays and don't think block-quoting Zizek is a substitute for reasoning. SMG is actually a weird outlier in today's CineD because he tries to keep up with everyone else and ends up just sounding like an insane markov chain.

also, eggheading too much about movies isn't generally predictive of lacking basic empathy.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

duncan posted:

The sound of metal chains whipping against bare flesh hang heavy in the air, like a bird flying into a headwind. The room is damp and sparsely lit. SUPERMECHAGODZILLA’s scarred jowls are illuminated by a desk lamp laying sideways on the floor

SUPERMECHAGODZILA
Which reading is true? Which reading is true? WHICH READING IS TRUE!?

KOOS
[Spits mouthful of blood] The words are used specifically for their literal intention, the events are straightforward so as to be easily understood by an audience of children.

The beating begins again, with a furious vigour, until SUPERMECHAGODZILLA can barely stand. He rests one hand against a dirty wall, sweat marring his 1993 Nebraska Film Festival hypercolor t-shirt.

SUPERMECHAGODZILA
The opposite reading is true… The opposite reading is true. I’ve been to college.

KOOS straightens his posture, his pride and dignity unscathed by the days long assault of a fat, stupid man.

KOOS
Any perceived allusions to facism in A Goofy Movie are a wholesale invention of a misguided viewer.

SUPERMECHAGODZILLA adopts the look of a man who has been defeated. Wearily, he grabs a shotgun that had been resting in the corner, and cocks it loudly.

KOOS
Goofy simply wishes to bond with his son through fishing, a traditional pastime, as he had done with his own father. It is neither parable nor allegory. Neither dog was molested, the material does not support this.

SuperMechaGodzilla posted:

The appeal here is understandable: the basic narrative is of an college-educated man inflicting violence against an innocent. The narrative is an exaggerated version of the familiar chain e-mail, where a precocious young child (or United States Marine) stands up before a sputtering liberal college professor to tell him that abortion (or terrorism) is actually wrong, causing the whole class to applaud.

However, there is a more familiar narrative here. The conflation of writing with torture bears an unmistakable resemblance to the phenomenon of 'triggering', popularized by Tumblr, where certain words are alleged to 'trigger' latent traumas from abuse, rape, etc. SJWs effectively claim to be 'raped by words', and consequently hold uncareful speech to be an absolutely unacceptable harassment. In this sense, the story is accurate; I am not tolerant or respectful of others' opinions 'by default'. Standing for truth is by nature violent, intolerant.

'"Harassment" is another of those words which, although it seems to refer to a clearly defined fact, functions in a deeply ambiguous way and perpetrates an ideological mystification. At its most elementary, the term designates brutal facts of rape, beating, and other modes of social violence which, of course, should be ruthlessly condemned. However, in the predominant use of the term "harassment," this elementary meaning imperceptibly slips into the condemnation of any excessive proximity of another real human being, with his or her desires, fears and pleasures. Two topics determine today's liberal tolerant attitude towards others: the respect of otherness, openness towards it, and the obsessive fear of harassment. The other is OK insofar as his presence is not intrusive, insofar as the other is not really other. Tolerance coincides with its opposite: my duty to be tolerant towards the other effectively means that I should not get too close to him, not to intrude into his/her space - in short, that I should respect his/her intolerance towards my over-proximity. This is what is more and more emerging as the central 'human right' in late-capitalist society: the right not to be harassed, i.e., to be kept at a safe distance from the others.'
-Slavoj Zizek, "God is Dead, but He Doesn't Know It"

Despite the Koos character's claims to stand for 'aw shucks' traditionalism , family values and whatnot, the ideological universe of the story is wholly liberal-capitalist.

The choice of the Goofy Movie as the subject for the fictional debate is quite revealing. Any viewer of A Goofy Movie knows that although Goofy feels threatened by the pop artist Powerline (a black 'afrofuturist' artist with a hitop fade and astronaut costume, hailing from LA), the harmony in his family is actually disrupted by the intrusion of a girl. A Goofy Movie is essentially a gender-swapped Forbidden Planet, where Max's encounter with the woman as Object disturbs he and his father's incestuous peace. Find explanation here for why a literal Bigfoot monster appears. Max and Goofy are each trying to make sense of an impossible antagonism, so that Max blames the loss of harmony on the rednecks, and Goofy blames 'rap music'. The moral is, of course, that these are both false targets. The harmony they seek is an impossible fantasy.

This is relevant because the story depicts the SuperMechagodzilla character as a 'terrorist' threat trying to 'destroy our way of life' (despite my consistently voicing support for 'conservative values' in actuality) - an abject creature to be eliminated so that a harmonious, capitalist society can be guaranteed. As in Tumblr, the language of authentic emancipatory movements is appropriated for personal empowerment, divorced from actual class struggle. Imagery of martyrdom is abused.

Syd Midnight has a new favorite as of 05:29 on Feb 22, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Both of them were her. This one stops halfway through though. She got her life together (sic) and doesn't write massive movie reviews any more.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572938

The Brave Little Toaster was (and is) one of my hands down favorite Disney movies. Dying car song, best song. The one where the guy takes apart all the appliances is also pretty good.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

exploded mummy posted:

My favorite type of LP is for the game that is often overlooked or never really got world wide release where the author spends some time stripping and deconstructing how it works and was developed.

It's like watching engineering stripdowns of cars or stuff...just with video games.

Same. LPs with developer commentary or detailed technical breakdowns of games are great. Or ones that just destroy the game completely and then explain how they did it, like Ocarina of Time Super Wrong or Let's Break Pokemon Blue.

I also have a soft spot for Nakar's Ultima LPs.

Solice Kirsk posted:

The Brave Little Toaster was (and is) one of my hands down favorite Disney movies. Dying car song, best song. The one where the guy takes apart all the appliances is also pretty good.

Those are the best songs in the movie, IMO. (It's not a Disney movie, though, and rewatching it as an adult with my kid, wow, it is weird as gently caress, although Brave Little Toaster Goes to Mars is definitely weirder.)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

Those are the best songs in the movie, IMO. (It's not a Disney movie, though, and rewatching it as an adult with my kid, wow, it is weird as gently caress, although Brave Little Toaster Goes to Mars is definitely weirder.)

What the gently caress?! I've been thinking it was Disney since.....well since forever. This changes everything.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I get it.

It ain't makin' me laugh, but I get it.

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Has anyone done a New Colossus LP where they highlight exactly how that game is worse than its predecessor in virtually every way possible?

New Colossus was great and I enjoyed it just as much as The New Order except that the ending was really abrupt. Everything else was fine.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

jesus, I know SMG was garbage, but when did Armond White go from "dumb Hot Takes that bad movies are good and good movies are bad" to "murder children, also black people are garbage"?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

A Spider Covets posted:

I was there when SMG first started posting. He always did the “out there” movie interpretations that were annoying to read and figure out. It annoyed CD greatly at first and whenever he posted it always resulted in a derail where everyone criticized him and his views. Then I don’t know what the hell happened but he got his own group of followers and goons who “ironically” believed him and would derail when he posted and have a discussion only they understood. I left because it was getting annoying having SMG show up and nothing tangible could be said because SMG’s loving cabal would have their sessions.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

jesus, I know SMG was garbage, but when did Armond White go from "dumb Hot Takes that bad movies are good and good movies are bad" to "murder children, also black people are garbage"?

I always thought Armond White was black, for some reason.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

He is

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

He’s black like Barry white not white like frank black is

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

But what of Frank Ocean?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

oldpainless posted:

God drat this is good. More like oldbloodless

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

chitoryu12 posted:

the person youre thinking of might be PAnick, i remember ages ago he had a log where he would post some wolfenstein 3d models (also he was jacked as poo poo especially for someone with as many injury related issues as he had goddamn)

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

SMG was always aggravating to scroll past but when he tried to claim Pacific Rim was fascist that was all I needed to know about him. If he’s being openly racist that’s completely unsurprising.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The gimmick was cute at first, but then a bunch of other posters started writing ten page creeds about which character was Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit regardless of film and it just got tedious.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Wrong thread

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, the old "he's not a heinous excuse for a human being, he's just trolling" defense. Look how well that worked out for /pol.

WEAK: Comparing films to other works of fiction and schools of critical thought

FLEEK: Comparing film criticism to ethnic cleansing and writing genital torture fanfiction about it

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

SMG was always aggravating to scroll past but when he tried to claim Pacific Rim was fascist that was all I needed to know about him. If he’s being openly racist that’s completely unsurprising.

He's not, unless you're positing that Armond White and SMG are actually the same person.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ooh ooh
cmon party people

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

American racial politics are nearly inescapable and yet still manage to be confusing. Is Armond White an Uncle Ruckus then?

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Untrustable posted:

But what of Frank Ocean?

He has a blue house with a blue window.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Racist guy: *racism*
Supermechagodzilla: he's right
Goons: wow can't believe supermechagodzilla is racist
Guy Mann: uhhhhhm ACTUALLY

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

poptart_fairy posted:

The gimmick was cute at first, but then a bunch of other posters started writing ten page creeds about which character was Jesus, God and the Holy Spirit regardless of film and it just got tedious.

The most annoying people are his thrall. Or his imitators thralls

The animation thread is usually either just chill or has industry talk, but all hell broke loose once a free regulars disagreed with one of k wastes hot takes on zootopia. Like the thrall was talking about disagreeing with k waste is unfair persecution of him and k waste has the only worthwhile posts in the thread.

I've seen other poo poo like that where not agreeing directly with smg means you have nothing to say and have Turned Your Brain Off

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Inescapable Duck posted:

American racial politics are nearly inescapable and yet still manage to be confusing. Is Armond White an Uncle Ruckus then?

White is saying stupid hateful things that are anti-Semitic, but not racist against black people. Goons are calling him racist because they hate nuance.

Korremar
Mar 1, 2010

You are so big!
So absolutely HUGE!

Solice Kirsk posted:

What the gently caress?! I've been thinking it was Disney since.....well since forever. This changes everything.

neither is Feivel Goes West
neither is Fern Gully
neither is Anastasia
neither is Secret of Nimh
neither is All Dogs Go To Heaven

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Old Disney channel showed a lot of non-Disney movies

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Korremar posted:

neither is Feivel Goes West
neither is Fern Gully
neither is Anastasia
neither is Secret of Nimh
neither is All Dogs Go To Heaven

I believe all of these are Don Bluth films (with the Land Before Time also included), which are arguably better in all respects than a lot of Disney films :colbert:

Fuckin' Secret of Nimh is the goddamned best.

Bluth didn't shy away from stuff like murder and death. Characters actually die in Nimh, some are even murdered. You need the rough with the smooth.

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYh02GlbRQE

Top comment for this video posted:

GlaciusTS
1 year ago
Feels weird watching this now having known about the fate of Judith Barsi before the movie came out. If you close your eyes it's like Burt Reynolds is saying goodbye to Judith, and she doesn't know she's dead.

:smith:

EDIT 2: From Don Bluth's IMDB page, he once said "You don't show the darkness, you can't appreciate the light. If it weren't for December, no one would appreciate May. It's just important that you see both sides of that."

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 19:54 on Feb 22, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That sounds like a line of bullshit Don Bluth probably made up to keep terrifying millions of children, and I'm glad of it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

exquisite tea posted:

That sounds like a line of bullshit Don Bluth probably made up to keep terrifying millions of children, and I'm glad of it.

i mean, he's not really wrong. there's a reason why Don Bluth's stuff was so massively influential; compare the stuff Disney was making around the 60s and 70s to what he was doing and what they're doing now, and you'll find a lot more resemblance between modern Disney and Bluth's stuff than between modern Disney and that era of Disney. he made really loving good movies for the most part, and the fact that he wasn't afraid to make a movie that didn't really talk down to its audience was half of why.

e: Bluth was especially influential on Pixar; Toy Story 3 is basically a love letter to his style of filmmaking, and The Good Dinosaur might as well be their attempt at making a good Land Before Time sequel.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I just wish I was half the animator Bluth is.

Some of his stuff was bad, though, like A Troll in Central Park.

E: that doesn't take away from the good he's done. The Feivel movies are still some of my favorites.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: Bluth was especially influential on Pixar; Toy Story 3 is basically a love letter to his style of filmmaking, and The Good Dinosaur might as well be their attempt at making a good Land Before Time sequel.

Holy poo poo, I never knew this, especially about The Good Dinosaur, but I can definitely see that. My 3 year old has been checking that out in bits and pieces (you can't keep him paying attention to a movie for that long, at least not yet), and yeah, I definitely got Land Before Time vibes, and not just because it also features dinosaurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Good post right here.