Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
S

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm glad they added a hammer and sickle empire icon so i can make my first 2.0 empire based off of the tenets of fully automated luxury gay space communism

Rogue Servitors it is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The galaxy has a hundred billion stars in it, it's just unworkable

If you want a very good representation of why it is unworkable, feel free to go download Space Engine and give it a whirl. It has a huge number of real stars (maybe nearly all of them?) in its virtual milky way and it's totally incomprehensible even before they start throwing in the billions of procedurally generated stars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ve0Bpmx8Fk0

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I can’t decide what to do with my pacifists for 2.0, they were previously Fanatic Pacifist/Spiritualist Agrarian Idyll Philosopher Kings monarchy with Psi Ascension. Bunch of chill space hydras. I kind of want to revamp them a little bit for 2.0, maybe go Life Seeded/Agrarian Idyll to ramp unity like all hell and spring for the Terraforming perk early? Question then becomes what to do with the third civic.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ExtraNoise posted:

This event chain always makes me super sad.

There's a simulation hypothesis event chain? I don't think I've ever seen it (or I've seen it so much I've started clicking through it without reading). What happens in it?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

VostokProgram posted:

That's not how geometry works. It would be a surface of some kind, maybe a flat plane or a sphere depending on what you're trying to blockade

The shape on a flat plane that would cover an area most efficiently with a limited number of ships would be...a circle.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm glad they added a hammer and sickle empire icon so i can make my first 2.0 empire based off of the tenets of fully automated luxury gay space communism

I don't try to plug my own poo poo too often but this seems like a good time. I actually made a bunch of emblems for the game, including the symbol for this:

You can find it on the workshop here:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=923962024

(I'll be updating it to 2.0 and adding some new ones, don't worry. Maybe come back to this in a couple days.)

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Remember the time Data got command of a ship when the Federation instituted a blockade so that the Romulans couldn't covertly support Lursa and Be'tor (sp?) in the Klingon civil war. With the blockade fleet consisting of something like 26 ships? How does that make any kind of sense in the three dimensions of space?
Space ships have sensors and can move around.

Glad I could help.

Edit: and guns. Those are probably quite important.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 22, 2018

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ExtraNoise posted:

I don't try to plug my own poo poo too often but this seems like a good time. I actually made a bunch of emblems for the game, including the symbol for this:

(I'll be updating it to 2.0 and adding some new ones, don't worry. Maybe come back to this in a couple days.)

whoa awesome, thank you for the link

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ulmont posted:

The shape on a flat plane that would cover an area most efficiently with a limited number of ships would be...a circle.

Wouldnt it be to have each ship placed at the centre of an imaginary hexagonal tiled pattern, with the size of the hexagons from centre to corner being equal to the radius of the ship's sensors? I'm not sure why arranging the ships in a circle would be more efficient than this.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Torrannor posted:

Remember the time Data got command of a ship when the Federation instituted a blockade so that the Romulans couldn't covertly support Lursa and Be'tor (sp?) in the Klingon civil war. With the blockade fleet consisting of something like 26 ships? How does that make any kind of sense in the three dimensions of space?

Step 1: Surround target location
Step 2: Shoot anyone that approaches

You know, like an actual goddamn blockade.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it might present a difficulty given that star trek combat literally takes place at a range of a few hundred meters, and we know this is true because Data boards the enemy spaceship by jumping out of a hull breach in star trek nemesis.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
Random, vaguely related post but Amazon just picked up Ian Banks Culture novels to do a series on. I haven't been this excited in a tv show in awhile.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

OwlFancier posted:

I mean it might present a difficulty given that star trek combat literally takes place at a range of a few hundred meters, and we know this is true because Data boards the enemy spaceship by jumping out of a hull breach in star trek nemesis.

Man, Star Trek was kinda loving dumb.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Reveilled posted:

Wouldnt it be to have each ship placed at the centre of an imaginary hexagonal tiled pattern, with the size of the hexagons from centre to corner being equal to the radius of the ship's sensors? I'm not sure why arranging the ships in a circle would be more efficient than this.

A hexagonal tiled pattern in a plane, or surface which could be concave or convex depending on if it is keeping something in on one side or out kn the other.

You would want sensor range to project in the z axis of the hexagon pattern, otherwise if sensor range r is at the corner, you would only briefly be aware of a ship passing through the blockade and it could slip through if the pattern was disrupted. With that said, sensor range would have to be far enough that a ship would be able to intercept any point in its hexagon and receive reinforcements to overwhelm the blockade runner before it could reach its destination.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

GunnerJ posted:

It varied so very much, episode by episode, season by season, movie by movie. At times the smartest, at others... god and whales.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Reveilled posted:

It's probably not a geometrically optimal dispersion but I don't blame some guy for eyeballing it 30-odd years ago when you'd only see it for a few seconds and nobody'd be posting screenshots on the internet to meticulously dissect this stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

But fun regardless!

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
So how is 2.0 + the expansion?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Those who wanted the posters: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/an-apocalyptic-gift-from-us-to-you.1070691/

alcaras posted:

So how is 2.0 + the expansion?

I feel robbed by paradox.

Let me start by saying I am longtime supporter of most of Paradox's games. I own most of their recent productions, as well as most of the dlc accompanying them. However this new stellaris update feels like I bought a product from a snake oil salesmen. I bought one product, and shortly it will become something vastly different then the product I bought.

I bought Stellaris for many reasons, however, some of the most important reasons are being eliminated from the game. Not changed, but eliminated. For example, FTL types, I adored the idea of a space game that had nations starting with different types of stellar travel, seeing how the nations with different FTL types colonized or prioritize expansion differently. (Also as a side note, I NEVER liked only having hyperlanes as the way of space travel, like MOST all other space based empire building games) However, that feature is not being changed. It is being REMOVED. There are no different starting FTL types. Moving them down the tech tree, or making "galactic terrain" is not a "change" to FTL. Its a rebuild (not a re-work) of that entire part of the game. Another example, is (was) the border system. When the game was initial released, I LOVED the idea of "organic" borders that expanded slowly, that grew naturally as your empire did. The idea that you strategically had to plan your borders to grow them in the directions you wanted. However, with the update, the base premise of how the game works in this regard is being changed. Essentially the new system makes each star system a self contained province, rather then being an organic expansion, the game is being redesigned to be akin to EU, or Hearts of Iron, in which star systems have become little more then a province to move through to the next one, rather then a star in a galaxy that, technically, someone could never even explore.

Stellaris is NOT in early access, there is no reason the game should DRASTICALLY change its core ideals and mechanics. I did not buy a game where borders were little more then window dressing, I did not buy a game that only had a single type of FTL empires could start with. If the game was like this at the start I would not have bought it. The reason I am "angry" (disappointed as well) is that I have bought a product, and now the product is being changed from the base up in a few regards. They are not changing the color of the house, they are ripping out the walls and furniture and creating something new.

(P.S. I am not complaining simply because "I don't like the changes" as I said I own many Paradox games, and they often have changes I don't really like. The biggest example would be the change to Forts in EU4, and the zone of control system. However, that was not a re-work of the core of the game, I might not have liked it, but I did not feel as if I was being robbed, as if I was being given a product I did not buy)

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Feb 22, 2018

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I’m super excited for apocalypse

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Haha tell me that's really that guy's played-time.

When you think about it, making it possible for people to share their opinions was the worst thing the internet did

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Reveilled posted:

There's a simulation hypothesis event chain? I don't think I've ever seen it (or I've seen it so much I've started clicking through it without reading). What happens in it?

The Vultaum precursor event conclusion.

Spoilers, from the event popup:

Their new philosophy posited that the entire universe was an artificial reality which all sentient beings had been unwittingly plugged into for the amusement of some higher power.

Heh. They aren't wrong!

The Vultaum undertook increasingly radical attempts to forcefully "disconnect" themselves from this simulation, most of which involved mass suicide. They finally concluded that only the simultaneous disconnection of billions of individuals would destabilize the system enough to grant them freedom. At an agreed upon hour, Vultaum everywhere killed themselves by any means available.

Oh poo poo.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

McSpanky posted:

It's probably not a geometrically optimal dispersion but I don't blame some guy for eyeballing it 30-odd years ago when you'd only see it for a few seconds and nobody'd be posting screenshots on the internet to meticulously dissect this stuff.

A successful blockade in space:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

OwlFancier posted:

GunnerJ posted:

In the original series, combat almost always took place at warp speeds. :eng101:

Of course, the capability and simplicity of the visual effects probably contributed to this.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

McSpanky posted:

People are forgetting that the sensor radii were completely unimportant in that episode, because they were searching for cloaked ships. Those lines were beams being sent from ship to ship in the Federation formation, and they could only see the Romulan ships if they crossed a beam.

Naturally, the Romulans didn't think to fly around that stupid net.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Psychotic Weasel posted:

A successful blockade in space:

The destination is behind the network, the target ships are in front, the direct route goes right through the middle. The goal is to either catch them in transit to prove Russian Romulan interference in the Klingon civil war or make the trip prohibitively long to circumvent it. It's like a sonar net in the ocean to catch submarines.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BurntCornMuffin posted:

People are forgetting that the sensor radii were completely unimportant in that episode, because they were searching for cloaked ships. Those lines were beams being sent from ship to ship in the Federation formation, and they could only see the Romulan ships if they crossed a beam.

Naturally, the Romulans didn't think to fly around that stupid net.

That episode was really dumb.

But it was one of the few ones where we got to see lots of other ships!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Squiggle posted:

Haha tell me that's really that guy's played-time.

When you think about it, making it possible for people to share their opinions was the worst thing the internet did

The best thing it did, however, is that on steam you can click on anyone's name and look up their profile which gives you all sorts of information about what they play and how long :v:

So yes, it's a direct screenshot from their page, they played it 80 hours this week, 760 hours total, and were robbed. Click the period at the end of the first sentence if you want.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 22, 2018

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

ConfusedUs posted:

I got to meet John Rhys-Davies a couple months ago, and I asked him the most pressing question about Sliders: Was it real Arturo or alt-Arturo who was traveling with the group for the last half of his last season?

His answer: The smart one. It was unsatisfying, as answers go.

Late reply, but it absolutely warms my heart that John Rhys-Davies was game to answer a question about a show he quit 20 years ago.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Destroy them all from orbit. It's the only way to make sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZlFsB88j2o

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Are there any good Steam mods that add in famous races/cultures from sci-fi?

And are they still ironman/achievement compatible?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh hm, anyone anticipate a sale contemporaneous with release tomorrow? I never did pick up Synthetic Dawn, and I'm gonna fix it, buuuut if I save some money on it I can put it toward something important - like drugs.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 22, 2018

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Giggle Goose posted:

Random, vaguely related post but Amazon just picked up Ian Banks Culture novels to do a series on. I haven't been this excited in a tv show in awhile.

:pwn:

Lord knows how they're going to adapt Use of Weapons without confusing everybody who hasn't read the books.

e: I've never had to rewind in an audiobook as much as I have with that one.

Bloody Pom fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 22, 2018

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Bloody Pom posted:

:pwn:

Lord knows how they're going to adapt Use of Weapons without confusing everybody who hasn't read the books.

e: I've never had to rewind in an audiobook as much as I have with that one.

Right? Talk about high-concept TV.

Do want to see who they could get to play Diziet Sma.

(Obvious I have been contracted to play Mister Adequate, guess I gotta detransition first but eh)

ExtraNoise posted:

More like Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Chaos :chaosundivided:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

(Obvious I have been contracted to play Mister Adequate, guess I gotta detransition first but eh)

Now I'm trying to stick a false beard on a bodiless near omnipotent alien intelligence and I'm having trouble.

Big ol' floating space beard. Actually that sounds like something the culture would build as a joke.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 22, 2018

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

PARADOX OFFICIAL FORUMS

Stellaris 2.0: The Assassination Of Warp Drive By The Coward Martin Anward

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Aethernet posted:

holy gently caress this.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Reveilled posted:

Now draw a curve through all points of the hexagon. What do you see?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Aethernet posted:

Has to be this surely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

So the old 'pocalypse coming out today? :clint:

• Locked thread