Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

Wasn’t there some progressive website that usually endorsed good progressive candidates? I can’t remember what it was called. Something like Illinois Progressives, or maybe it was the Progressive Democrats of Illinois. Someone, maybe Willa, used to talk about it.

Independent Voters of Illinois?

eta: Here are Our Revolution's endorsements for Illinois.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yes! Thanks.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Jesus, not again.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
That's a pretty wacky poll. I am not sure how Biss's name on the ballot would depress Republican turnout. Their support is even from voters.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
The 42nd ward (Gold coast, Streeterville, River North) voted for Rauner over Quinn, I'm sure they'd rather have him than Biss. Don't know about downstate though.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Hey thanks for the info effort post. I like Dr. Gill and I've voted for him a few times now, but it's probably time to let someone else take a stab at it.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/CatharineKrebs/status/963239679536513024
When you go to California and crack jokes about how all your constituents hate you because you murder them and cover it up.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/capitolfax/status/964571602565214208

:discourse:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Is this Legionnaires' problem going to gently caress Rauner so much he loses the primary?

No, but a man can hope

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

dwarf74 posted:

That's a pretty wacky poll. I am not sure how Biss's name on the ballot would depress Republican turnout. Their support is even from voters.

It might be recognition. Biss may not have made a big enough splash among respondents to activate snap reaction to vote against known Democrats. But I'm probably reading to much into it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 14, 2021

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

vyelkin posted:

The TV ads on the Olympics are getting unbearable, I can't go a single commercial break without getting "BISS IS A PHONY PROGRESSIVE JB PRITZKER IS THE MAN FOR DOWNSTATE I'M DICK DURBIN AND I SUPPORT JB" or (somehow even worse) "IVES IS A MADIGAN CRONY" using a clearly out-of-context clip where Ives criticizes Rauner for blaming everything on Madigan instead of getting anything done.

Only 9 more months to go! :suicide:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The real insult is they're buying youtube ads now. Six months ago I wouldn't have thought I'd miss wix ads, but in hindsight they're preferable.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

And Pritzker's even shelling out extra money so you can't skip his drat ads. C'mon dude my kid just wants to watch loving funny youtube videos at bedtime, stop interrupting my family time.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Does anyone know what the deal is with Dorothy Brown and the federal ruling? Why does she keep fighting it? I mean it doesn't seem like the judge is asking the county to do something much different from what the rest of the country is doing.

I guess I don't understand why she's fighting it. Does the current system give her more power? Or is she just too incompetent to implement a modern system?

I could see some podunk county fighting change but Cook County is a pretty big deal.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Big Black Dick posted:

Only 9 more months to go! :suicide:

I'm not sure if it's going to be better or worse in a month. On one hand, it'll just be two candidates, but then that means you'll just see the same ad even more often instead of mixing it up between Biss, Kennedy, JB, Rauner, and Ives ads.

I still laugh at Ives ads where she openly mocks Chicago. Good luck winning a statewide election mocking the largest city.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

More Dem governor's nom race news.

You can watch the last Dem governor candidate's debate on youtube. 1:22 (from end of Jan)

Pritzker refused to be on March 5th's downstate-located debate because he's already agreed to six which has led to WCIA 3 (E. Central Illinois tv station) to cancel it.

A Feb. 21st debate at UIS will be broadcast live on the radio but not on television. Pritzker will attend that one.

This means no televised live debates outside of Chicago area for the first time in... a while. Not a great look for Pritzker.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

vyelkin posted:

The TV ads on the Olympics are getting unbearable, I can't go a single commercial break without getting "BISS IS A PHONY PROGRESSIVE JB PRITZKER IS THE MAN FOR DOWNSTATE I'M DICK DURBIN AND I SUPPORT JB" or (somehow even worse) "IVES IS A MADIGAN CRONY" using a clearly out-of-context clip where Ives criticizes Rauner for blaming everything on Madigan instead of getting anything done.

“Ives is a Madigan crony” is such a delightfully insane take. Well, to me, but I don’t have to watch it regurgitated every 30 minutes.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Decided recently to start paying attention to local politics. I am in the 16th and the Dems didn't even put up a candidate against Kinzinger in 2016. Am I in a fully boned district?

fishing with the fam fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 20, 2018

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

fishing with the fam posted:

Decided recently to start paying attention to local politics. I am in the 16th and the Dems didn't even put up a candidate against Kinzinger in 2016. Am I in a fully boned district?

As a fellow 16th district dweller, yeah, we're pretty well boned. He ran uncontested last election, too.

I've tried contacting Kinzinger a few times about his policies and only ever gotten stock emails in response.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Crossing my fingers that we can get Bost out of IL-12 this year. The seat is usually held by a democrat, and he was one of the motherfuckers that refused to hold townhalls last year.

"The amount of time that I have at home is minimal, I need to make sure that it's productive," Bost told the editorial board. "You know the cleansing that the Orientals used to do where you'd put one person out in front and 900 people yell at them? That's not what we need. We need to have meetings with people that are productive."

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 21, 2018

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Hey, I'm in IL-12 too. I followed Bequette for a while, but the latest I've seen is that we'll be getting one of the much more centrists to run against Bost. Which is a shame because Bost is an rear end in a top hat, but he's a got stupid big money behind him from being such a good crony.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Anyone have a good breakdown on the AG race?

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

brugroffil posted:

Anyone have a good breakdown on the AG race?

Been wondering this as well now that the ad blitz has started for the candidates.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

quote:

County and city election officials said Tuesday they were sending the ballots to print with Raila’s name on them, even though the election officials last week voted to kick her off and asset manager Fritz Kaegi asked the court to keep her off.

That’s because she appealed that decision in court earlier Tuesday, leaving her status as a candidate uncertain for now.

god DAMNIT

this just splits the anti berrios vote

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Berrios is big money for so many politicians in this state that they're going to do anything to make sure he keeps that position.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The Trib endorsed Kennedy for the Dem primary, lol.

eta jesus christ the money gap between pritzker and the other guys:

quote:

Billionaire businessman Pritzker, an heir to the Hyatt Hotel fortune, has put $49.2 million of his personal wealth into his bid and has run TV ads virtually nonstop since announcing his candidacy in April of last year.

Evanston state Sen. Daniel Biss announced his run for governor in March 2017 with $2.3 million in his campaign fund. Since then, he has raised $2.7 million and began 2018 with $3.1 million, state records show.

Kennedy entered the race a year ago, and has raised nearly $5 million, including $1 million from himself. But he started the year with $737,310 left, records show. Since then, he has run scant TV advertising, while Biss began his TV ads last month.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 22, 2018

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Bird in a Blender posted:

I'm not sure if it's going to be better or worse in a month. On one hand, it'll just be two candidates, but then that means you'll just see the same ad even more often instead of mixing it up between Biss, Kennedy, JB, Rauner, and Ives ads.

I still laugh at Ives ads where she openly mocks Chicago. Good luck winning a statewide election mocking the largest city.

You see, despite containing most of the population of the US, cities actually don't count because

Rawr Dinosaur
Feb 10, 2012
Debate tonight can be streamed here

http://www.wmay.com/forum/

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If you think commercials are bad, donate to a candidate one time 10 years ago and you'll never stop getting fundraising calls.

I think I've gotten calls from the Democratic Party in Illinois, the DNC, Democratic Governors organization, Congressional election fund, Senate election fund, and even some PACs. This was all for giving like $50 to Obama's campaign 10 years ago. I get 3-4 calls a day and have a block list on my phone at like 100.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/blagojevism/status/966384833705529349

https://twitter.com/blagojevism/status/966391837593427968

Somebody get ya mans

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Oh dear sweet lord, thank you for the political comedy gifts you bestow upon us, and may the piss tape eventually be broadcast. Amen.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
This Harold/breen/minor stuff is unreal, wow

some local dude (Minor) trying to take Ives' state rep seats called Harold the nword to her face and asked if she thought it was offensive, then asked if she was 'a lesbo'. And when he got called out he responded saying people tried to bribe him not to run for staterep

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Here's a super Chicago story for you:

quote:

This is a story about how hot dogs and money are made, Chicago-style.

Nine months after Ald. Edward M. Burke led the Chicago City Council in approving a nearly $5 million tax deal for Vienna Beef to buy a vacant factory in Bridgeport in 2013, Burke’s law firm got a new client — Vienna Beef.

It hired the alderman’s law firm to push for property tax cuts on the factory site.

And Burke’s firm got results. It got Vienna’s property taxes slashed by an average of 70 percent over the next two years, arguing to Cook County Assessor Joseph Berrios and the Cook County Board of Review that cuts were merited because the factory wasn’t operating while renovations were underway. That saved Chicago’s biggest hot dog maker a total of $308,460, a Chicago Sun-Times analysis has found.

On top of that, records show Burke’s firm won a refund of $135,602 of property taxes Vienna had paid when it bought the factory at 1000 W. Pershing Rd., where Sara Lee Corp. used to make Best’s kosher hot dogs.

Klafter & Burke — a small law firm that specializes in property-tax work — was paid an undisclosed percentage of the money it saved Vienna on taxes, according to Vienna president John “Jack” Bodman, whose father is the company’s biggest shareholder.

“They did a nice job for us,” Bodman says. “When the assessor came in with a really high number, he got it down for us. He got us an appropriate tax bill.”

https://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-politics/burke-benefits-chicago-style-from-vienna-hot-dog-deals/

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Switching to Google Music includes YouTube Red. A must near elections to avoid ads and one of the best things I ever did.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I've used Google Music since the start.

And Oh god there are election ads on YT for state races?

Holy poo poo that sounds insufferable.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dexo posted:

I've used Google Music since the start.

And Oh god there are election ads on YT for state races?

Holy poo poo that sounds insufferable.

Oh yeah. OOH yeah. Pritzker has enough money to make them unskippable too. Hell I've gotten ads on my GODDAMN PHONE playing games for politicians.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://twitter.com/msainat1/status/970413351477170176
https://twitter.com/EALindquist/status/970027666731683841

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wow, and I thought it was a little weird that all the Democratic gubernatorial candidates seemed to be running against Madigan more than they are against Rauner, already.

e: Those are incredibly gross mailers. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Good to see Democrats doing a good job of sabotaging themselves. Although this just goes on the pile of evidence for why Madigan is a piece of poo poo.