Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That's true, but ZBooks are workstation laptops. There's an expectation of being higher-end than your average craptop.

OTOH, HP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

Statutory Ape posted:

based on what he said it sounds like windows 10 wont even boot with the spinning disk though?

I think it was hyperbole. I know, it's terrible to be sarcastic in a help thread, but like... nobody should use a platter drive anymore even if it's technically possible. I use two monitors for art and I'm looking for a third, but I'd rather go 768p than go without my SSDs.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

I guess the max pixels i can push is effectively 2x 4k screens. I have a 1440 and a 4k and ill be damned if i dont want to get one that i can mount vertically at x768 or whatever to keep chats on lol

E: why do i do this to myself

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's true, but ZBooks are workstation laptops. There's an expectation of being higher-end than your average craptop.

OTOH, HP.

I loved my Elitebook when I bought it, but HP has gone down a dark road.

Dell Precision will continue to get my money until a better mobile workstation comes along.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Statutory Ape posted:

based on what he said it sounds like windows 10 wont even boot with the spinning disk though?

Sure it'll boot but you're going to hate life as soon as an update starts.

Windows 10 will boot on a system with one of those crap Atom-like Pentiums and 2GB of RAM too but it doesn't mean you get what I'd call a usable system.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

dissss posted:

Sure it'll boot but you're going to hate life as soon as an update starts.

Windows 10 will boot on a system with one of those crap Atom-like Pentiums and 2GB of RAM too but it doesn't mean you get what I'd call a usable system.

It'll be slow, but that tablet I posted earlier comes with Windows 10 Home and is fully usable.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CommieGIR posted:

It'll be slow, but that tablet I posted earlier comes with Windows 10 Home and is fully usable.

What happens when it decides to install one of those in-place version upgrades?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Heatsink is probably just clogged.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Don Lapre posted:

touchscreen and pen support work great. I use a lenovo active pen 2

Thanks! Although now I've fallen down the rabbit hole of active pen convertibles.

Is a refurbished Surface Book 1 with a 6th gen i5 going to last me a few years? ~$800 is tempting.

politicorific
Sep 15, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Those chinese macbook air clones keep getting better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVOo9weCkOo

If I were looking for a beater laptop I'd be pretty happy about this, and I'd definitely consider one over a chromebook in the $250 price range. I can't wait to see what these look like with the new Gemini Lake Celeron Atom Pentium Silver chips.

I know I already replied to this, but thanks again for posting this. I'm back in the United States visiting family - a trip I make every couple years. Each time I come back, I usually try to spend about $100-$150 in a retail store on a cheap computer but Amazon has destroyed that. My work laptop is a Thinkpad x240, but my personal laptop is from 2014 and it's 2 GB of ram is always maxed out. The heaviest thing I need to run is PyCharm for coding; although a part of me wants to get one of these just to see if living in Bash is possible using lynx and alpine. It looks like a Cherry Trail or Apollo Lake from Jumper or Teclast notebook would take care of me. Unfortunately I don't have enough time to wait for international shipping.

Question: Am I crazy or does it seem like all these Cherry Trail Macbook knock offs are made in the same factory and stamped with a different logo, example:

$109 + 27 shipping (as of posting) T-bao-Tbook-X7, 14 inch 2 GB:
https://www.geekbuying.com/item/T-bao-Tbook-X7-2GB---32GB-Silver-380770.html

$129 Direkt-Tek DTLAPC14-1-SL 14 inch, 4 GB - 1920 x 1080
https://www.walmart.com/ip/14-Ultra...roduct_interest

$109 Direkt-Tek DTLAPC125-1-PK 12.5 inch, 4 GB - 1366 x 768
https://www.walmart.com/ip/12-5-Ult...0-hour/56123842

Bonus:
This RCA Cambio also looks interesting, but it only has 2 GB of RAM. Installing Linux might be difficult according to what I read online.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Cambio-10-1-2-in-1-32GB-Tablet-with-Windows-10-Intel-Atom-Z8350-2GB-RAM-Includes-Keyboard/56134994

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

politicorific posted:

I know I already replied to this, but thanks again for posting this. I'm back in the United States visiting family - a trip I make every couple years. Each time I come back, I usually try to spend about $100-$150 in a retail store on a cheap computer but Amazon has destroyed that. My work laptop is a Thinkpad x240, but my personal laptop is from 2014 and it's 2 GB of ram is always maxed out. The heaviest thing I need to run is PyCharm for coding; although a part of me wants to get one of these just to see if living in Bash is possible using lynx and alpine. It looks like a Cherry Trail or Apollo Lake from Jumper or Teclast notebook would take care of me. Unfortunately I don't have enough time to wait for international shipping.

Question: Am I crazy or does it seem like all these Cherry Trail Macbook knock offs are made in the same factory and stamped with a different logo, example:

You're not crazy, that's pretty much it. These things exist because literally everything is made in shenzhen, everyone knows each other and china doesn't give a gently caress about intellectual property.

That said, really really don't buy a cherry trail machine. Apollo lake is reasonably close to sort of being almost like a real CPU if you squint real hard. Cherry trail is like trying to run a desktop os on a midrange smartphone phone from 2015. Or rather, it's not like that, it's exactly that.

Don't buy a $100 computer new, even directly from China. If you really must spend that little, you can likely scrounge up an old x220 or something if you dig for it. But the difference between a $100 laptop and a $300 laptop is a shitload bigger than the difference between a $600 laptop and a $2000 laptop.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

CommieGIR posted:

I loved my Elitebook when I bought it, but HP has gone down a dark road.

Dell Precision will continue to get my money until a better mobile workstation comes along.

It was mentioned a little while ago, but whatever the 2020 or so equivalent of a refurb Precision 5520 is getting my money. They look perfect.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I got a little $100 cherry trail box to run a znc server, irc bot, and probably some torrents on ubuntu

So far its ok for that minimal purpose. I just wanted something that was absolutely silent and low power with like no footprint. I wonder if it could do a plex

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mobby_6kl posted:

Maybe put a pair of glasses on your face? :v:

Unless they significantly downgraded the panel from the T460 on which I'm typing it right now, it's a perfectly fine screen for general usage IMO so I doubt you'd be able to upgrade it with anything significantly better.

It's pretty loving terrible if you've ever owned anything with a decent screen. I have heard that the T470 got a downgraded screen compared to earlier ones.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 22, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

You're not crazy, that's pretty much it. These things exist because literally everything is made in shenzhen, everyone knows each other and china doesn't give a gently caress about intellectual property.

That said, really really don't buy a cherry trail machine. Apollo lake is reasonably close to sort of being almost like a real CPU if you squint real hard. Cherry trail is like trying to run a desktop os on a midrange smartphone phone from 2015. Or rather, it's not like that, it's exactly that.

Don't buy a $100 computer new, even directly from China. If you really must spend that little, you can likely scrounge up an old x220 or something if you dig for it. But the difference between a $100 laptop and a $300 laptop is a shitload bigger than the difference between a $600 laptop and a $2000 laptop.

What about a $70 dollar computer? :)

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
So my existing laptop (Asus) is acting like its on its last legs. (Windows getting slower and slower.) Although I suspect that has to do more with windows bloatware more than anything else.

I am looking to switch to Linux. (I thought about switching directly to Open BSD, but... too much effort. I don't have the time or space to install a new OS, get new all drivers, etc etc etc...)

What laptop can I order online that I can pull out of the box and will work with Linux? Looking in the 400-800 dollar range.
(The linux compatible drivers for hard ware is what I am worried about.)

I don't really need it for gaming, but do need it for email, writing, online banking, etc... (Normal poo poo.)

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 22, 2018

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Install linux on your existing laptop

Also test the hard drive, you probably just have a failing hard drive or an OS problem.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Don Lapre posted:

Install linux on your existing laptop

Also test the hard drive, you probably just have a failing hard drive or an OS problem.
Won't I still need to download the drivers seperately? Which will require a seperate computer?
(I thought laptops were special unique snowflakes compared to their Desktop counter parts.)

I am working 50-60 hours a week. Spending a weekend or two to get Linux working is not good use of my time.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i almost died, didnt leave the hospital for months, couldnt eat for half a year, had a tube in my neck so i could breath, couldnt walk and got bored and installed ubuntu in like 17 minutes within a week of getting home

p sure you can do it working ~50 hours a week my man

google "YOUR LAPTOP [SOME LINUX DISTRO]" and im sure somebody has laid out the path to success

movax
Aug 30, 2008

XPS 13 coupon code is back until the 23rd, 20% off. Back to free-lancing, so needed a laptop (deductible expense), kind of tired of using ThinkPads over the past 5-6 years, and my most recent corporate T460s was a piece of poo poo.

Got a XPS 13 9360 w/ 16GB RAM, 1800p screen, Win 10 pro for $1200 shipped (10% WA tax). Didn't want touchscreen, but not a lot of 16GB SKUs available. Have a 512GB Samsung NVMe drive here that I'll be popping into it. Engineering, so I don't want to have carry around USB-C to USB-A dongles, and would rather have the native A ports.

Craigslist a decent place to offload Thinkpad AC adapters? I probably have 8 at this point, complete with tip adapters so they can be used with both round and rectangular plugs. Wouldn't mind just straight up trading a few of them for Dell adapters so I can leave them lying around where I need 'em.

e: oh I guess it goes without saying, that was on Dell Outlet refurb. Can save a bunch more if you stick with 8GB / non QHD screen but...I like leaving tabs open, and that QHD screen is pretty!

movax fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 22, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If you do shift to linux though, don't bother trying to dual boot with windows because there's a good chance some poo poo will go down and you'll lose everything

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Looking for a laptop with some very specific application-driven requirements:

* 17" 4K monitor
    * Can support 2 external 4K monitor at the same time as its primary display
    * Size/Weight as small as possible. Battery life not nearly as large of a concern

Basically the primary purpose of this laptop is to operate a RDP session for an application that absolutely needs all that screen real-estate.

* Not very price sensitive. I've seen the pricetags of some of the laptops that meet these requirements, paying over $1500 or even over $2000 isn't that big of a deal here. I mean, I'd rather not drop $2K+, but if that's what it takes then the budget is there.
    * When not being used for its primary purposes, it'd be nice to be able to game on it. In other words, absolutely willing to pay extra for a nice GPU.

When doing some research for laptops that would meet these requirements, two things kept coming up that I was having a lot of trouble finding answers to myself. Anyone know...

1. How can you tell how many external displays a laptop actually supports? I know in the old days sometimes you couldn't use all video ports at the same time, and with everything moving to USB-C I'm even less sure how to tell.
2. I noticed in some reviews of 17" class laptops it would ding gaming desktop replacement for having a 1080 class GPU but not support GSync. Is GSync actually a thing on laptops now? Is it really necessary on gaming laptops like the MSI that have a 120Hz screen?

Chuu fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 22, 2018

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Senor P. posted:

Won't I still need to download the drivers seperately? Which will require a seperate computer?
(I thought laptops were special unique snowflakes compared to their Desktop counter parts.)

I am working 50-60 hours a week. Spending a weekend or two to get Linux working is not good use of my time.

Linux is a huge waste of time. Don't install it on your personal computers. If you don't have a tonne of free time to janitor your personal computer and deal with its many bugs, or if you don't find joy in doing random Google searches to deal with [random Linux bug/issue X] instead of your computer just working, then just buy a computer which comes with Mac or Windows.

ChromeOS is another alternative. If everything you do can be done in a web browser, then it is great. If you have to rely upon any function outside of a web browser, though, expect it to either not be possible in ChromeOS or to be offered but loaded with bugs.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Feb 22, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Linux is better for servers. Find out the root of the problem for your slow down, or your Linux install may suffer from the same issues.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

silence_kit posted:

Linux is a huge waste of time. Don't install it on your personal computers. If you don't have a tonne of free time to janitor your personal computer and deal with its many bugs, or if you don't find joy in doing random Google searches to deal with [random Linux bug/issue X] instead of your computer just working, then just buy a computer which comes with Mac or Windows.

I went on Slashdot for the first time in about 15 years the other day, and there were a handful of neckbeards still there, claiming unironically in the comments section of every article that this year would definitely be the year of Linux on the desktop.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

webmeister posted:

I went on Slashdot for the first time in about 15 years the other day, and there were a handful of neckbeards still there, claiming unironically in the comments section of every article that this year would definitely be the year of Linux on the desktop.

Yeah. There's an Ubuntu distribution in Windows 10.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have Ubuntu 16.04 running on a Dell 7000 series and it works pretty good. The touchpad leaves a little to be desired but I think that's more to do with the hardware.

Sleep works, the battery lasts 6 hours, wifi works, keys for brightness/keyboard backlight work... I think I could use it as my main machine if I didn't have a Mac :smug:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah. There's an Ubuntu distribution in Windows 10.

Yup, and it's pretty awesome. Eliminated my need to have Cygwin and a VM of Scientific Linux on the standby.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

You can use a Linux distro in a VM and it will almost be indistinguishable from running it right on the hardware.

It will take an hour to install.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

webmeister posted:

My friend and I have a running joke that "(current year) is the year of Linux on the 10 year old laptop". I have a sweet T420, it runs Linux beautifully... But gently caress putting it on my XPS13, allegedly the "best Linux laptop". Even with the lowest res screen option it's 1080p on a 13 inch screen and scaling in Linux is half-assed so random things are unreadable. I've been looking for a Linux notebook that isn't such a brick to haul around but I'm not sure if I should be looking at older Carbon X1s (can't replace the battery though?) Or the x240 (drat small screen, my 13 inch already drives me nuts) or just say gently caress it and keep hauling my poo poo brick around.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This is on sale on woot today for $350:

Lenovo Thinkpad S1 Yoga Multi-Mode Business Ultrabook, 12.5" Full-HD Touchscreen, Intel Core i5-4300U, 256GB Solid State Drive, 8GB DDR3, 802.11n, Bluetooth, Win10Pro

https://www.woot.com/offers/lenovo-yoga-12-5-fhd-i5-touch-ultrabook?ref=w_cnt_gw_dly_cr#read-more

I can't see any reason not to get it as a side-project dev machine. What's not good about this laptop?

e: other than tablet mode looks real dumb and i wouldn't use it

Careful Drums fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 22, 2018

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Careful Drums posted:

I can't see any reason not to get it as a side-project dev machine. What's not good about this laptop?

the trackpad is made of rear end and balls, and lacks physical buttons for the pointing nipple.

other than that, that's a pretty good deal!

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
At least you don't have to add RAM and SSD to it so yeah a pretty decent deal there.

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I wonder how much Lenovo realizes I buy their products for the hot nub action?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

anothergod posted:

I wonder how much Lenovo realizes I buy their products for the hot nub action?

Dell and HP have nubs too.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
My new HP Spectre x360 13.3" arrived today. It's really fantastic, though I hosed it up (my fault) trying to adjust the touchpad drivers and had to spend the better part of an hour fixing it.

It's really a great machine, and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a 2-in-1. Super light, thin, good battery, and the keyboard is quite pleasant.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Apollodorus posted:

My new HP Spectre x360 13.3" arrived today. It's really fantastic, though I hosed it up (my fault) trying to adjust the touchpad drivers and had to spend the better part of an hour fixing it.

It's really a great machine, and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a 2-in-1. Super light, thin, good battery, and the keyboard is quite pleasant.

I've had my eye on the non-2-in-1 cousin, the Envy 13 with the MX150. But from the few reports I can find online, it seems it throttles pretty heavily :(

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Careful Drums posted:

This is on sale on woot today for $350:

Lenovo Thinkpad S1 Yoga Multi-Mode Business Ultrabook, 12.5" Full-HD Touchscreen, Intel Core i5-4300U, 256GB Solid State Drive, 8GB DDR3, 802.11n, Bluetooth, Win10Pro

https://www.woot.com/offers/lenovo-yoga-12-5-fhd-i5-touch-ultrabook?ref=w_cnt_gw_dly_cr#read-more

e: other than tablet mode looks real dumb and i wouldn't use it

Comments say this a 2013, possibly used machine and reconditioned to new, whatever that means.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Comments say this a 2013, possibly used machine and reconditioned to new, whatever that means.

well yeah you're not gonna find a brand new 2-in-1 with an active digitizer, an i5, a 256gb ssd and 8gb of ram for tree fiddy. it's still a good deal, it's far better than anything you can buy new for that price, including chinese imports.

edit: in fact that's a better deal on that machine than anything on ebay right now, if you need a beater ultrabook you should jump on it. i wouldn't put much stock in the "warranty" though.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I've had my eye on the non-2-in-1 cousin, the Envy 13 with the MX150. But from the few reports I can find online, it seems it throttles pretty heavily :(

I bet it does. I went back and forth for like 2 months on whether I wanted to get something with a dGPU or not, and eventually decided that this Spectre looked like the best combination of thin+light, 2-in-1, and powerful hardware for productivity and media. There will be a new desktop in my near future (using the SSD off my old laptop) for gaming and any audio/video editing, but this Spectre is already putting my old Asus to shame in the "actual work I need to do for my job" department.