Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer
I have a newbie friend that I have been playing MH with and he just hit high rank for the first time and it is the most adorable thing. He's been slowly improving (playing SS and SA), but it makes me giggle to get the damage dealer card at the end of every hunt we do together because anything that isn't tempered is a huge snooze for me now except when it's with him because I feel like I'm stretching myself to really get into killing things with him. 8 minute Rathalos HR in 2x multi felt so good. Basically a super cute newbie made me love the game all over again. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Shoenin posted:

Pretty sure his regular hits are Dragon and his Wind is Ice
Might be wrong on that tho

Does dragon always cause dragonblight eventually or are there normal and dragon hits from dragons... Dragons!?

Sorry should clarify can a hit be dragon and not cause dragonblight as well?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Ciaphas posted:

in previous games this was sort of countered by only having so much room for flashes and crafting components

I never had an issue with flashing in previous games, including bringing craftables. The upside (not spending 3+ minutes running in circles for no reason) vastly outweighed the all-but-meaningless downside of not being able to gather much. Sure, it's even easier now, but that's just because they reduced the cruft that made it inconvenient. It gives you another mechanic to utilize, another item to maintain balance on in farming, and another skill to learn in proper aiming of the flash. Granted it's not a terribly difficult skill, but it adds a small amount of gameplay to the game.

Your Computer posted:

Say, is there a consensus yet on what items are good candidates for cultivating, melding and trading with the Argosy? I'm always super bad at using these sorts of mechanics :shobon:

Cultivating: Rotate whatever you're running low on. Honey, Flashbugs, Nitroshrooms, Bitterbugs... whatever. Just keep an eye on your stock and never run out.

Melding: I've literally never done this for normal items, because...

Argosy: ...this guy is on 24/7 consumable duty. I've genocided Diablos and still have hundreds of screamer pods. I don't even know how many drugs/dung pods/powders/etc I have but it's a lot and I've only ever crafted a few of them. You'll get plenty of trash monster parts doing quests and the bandit mantle will provide you with infinite money, so always consumables.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

JBP posted:

Does dragon always cause dragonblight eventually or are there normal and dragon hits from dragons... Dragons!?

Sorry should clarify can a hit be dragon and not cause dragonblight as well?

I think Xeno is the only monster that can actually inflict Dragonblight.

That is, until Deviljho is added in. :getin:

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Yay Samoa Jho

Obviously I want more monsters. Bring back Zino and Tigrexes
Not Black Zino he's a dick, gently caress his balls

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Oh my god I am awful at fighting bagel ghost. But he did give me an earplugs 3 deco at least.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

If i take bezel coil B and put an earplugs 3 deco into it that gets me earplugs 5 right?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Nope, all decorations are one level only. The number tells you how big a socket is required.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Nope, all decorations are one level only. The number tells you how big a socket is required.

Aah. ok.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Endemic life researcher continues being the best

everything is a wyvern

also whoever it was feeling bad for kicking the cute horseshoe crabs (I feel bad too); don't worry it's actually okay:

:pram:

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008

NecroMonster posted:

Oh my god I am awful at fighting bagel ghost. But he did give me an earplugs 3 deco at least.

by and large the fun monster nicknames have left me dry, but for reasons i don't understand 'bagel ghost' totally got me.

To me they're all just your terrible cats. "Why is your cat so angry???" "Dude, your flying cat is pissing me off" "Your cat's loving miasma is getting all over my jacket, gently caress" "Your electric galloping cat is an rear end in a top hat, dude." etc etc. You all need Cesar Millan in your lives or something, get better cats.

edit poo poo, i clearly meant jackson galaxy

A Bad Place fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 22, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't know, I feel like most of the monsters in MHW are dogs. Big dogs, small dogs, fast dogs, fleshy dogs, slimy dogs. Very good dogs, all. :shittydog:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

he fuckin' haunts ya is the deal!

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Cicadas! posted:

I have absolutely no idea what that is. My previous hypothesis of wedge beetle is way off.

beepBOOPbeep

I know it sounds stupid, but try changing your cat's armor.

Triarii posted:

Yep, that's the Radobaan armor on your cat. It makes space noises.

This was the culprit, thanks.

Radobaan cat armor: into the trash. I hope other sets don't come with these annoying SFX. I want my cat to have the best fashion but that was seriously making me not want to play this game at all.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
I think Odie and Zino are the only doggos in all Monster Hunter unless im missing someone. I cant think of any other canine monsters.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

huh, i'm trying to think of a wolf-like creature in MH and coming up completely empty, barring Clifford and Zinogre, and 'wolf' isn't really right

wonder why there're so few

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Shoenin posted:

I think Odie and Zino are the only doggos in all Monster Hunter unless im missing someone. I cant think of any other canine monsters.
Tobi-kadachi

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

MechaX posted:

The problem isn't going to be an issue with aiming at the head, it's going to be dealing with everything else with Teostra (which was very unfun for the most part). I mean for Christ's sake, some advice like "if he attacks with his tail, you'll have enough time to hit him with anything like a Dragon Piercer" would be nice. Maybe "oh, the boss can actually stunlock the gently caress out of you and will not hesitate to do so; wear earplugs, if not, prepare for roar + tackle or swipe" would have been helpful. Or even "its attacks tend to stun a lot harder than other enemies even if you don't get hit for multiple seconds; be careful with bow slides so you don't end up caught in his fire breath sweep; he usually goes from right to left, dodge to the right" would have been grand.

With Kushala, even with tornadoes, you could tell a bow user "well, the tornadoes kind of suck, but he tends to fly in place a lot so you can aim for the nose pretty easily, and his actual air tackle has a pretty big windup."

But "learn to aim 60 hours in?" poo poo, it wasn't even a funny kind of snark statement.

Except you said literally nothing about what you had trouble with other than basically "this sucks as a Bow user" and the first thing that comes to mind is the auras they get that stop arrows if you aren't hitting weak points.

If you wanted advice on other aspects, perhaps you should've mentioned what you were having trouble with, instead of expecting the psychic hotline.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Your Computer posted:

Say, is there a consensus yet on what items are good candidates for cultivating, melding and trading with the Argosy? I'm always super bad at using these sorts of mechanics :shobon:

Like previous games, you can't go wrong with honey. But flash pods for cultivation and dung pods for melding are also solid choices.

Due to the random nature of the safaris and argosy they never gave me anything useful and eventually stopped doing them because I was just spending resources for more junk I had a ton of already.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

The argosy consumables are the only thing to spend research points on though.

It's a really good source of nourishing extract, which is needed for megadrugs :catdrugs:

Edit: picking monsters that drop nourishing extract on the safari (odogaron, dodogama) nets you plenty of those too.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 22, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Just because he has a weird face and no hair doesn't mean that Great Girros isn't a dog :colbert:

Unrelated: are dung pods even more hit-or-miss in this game than previously? They haven't worked a single time for me so far. The monsters change zones but they stick together :eng99: (No, not just the rath couple)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Dung pods work a lot more consistently when fired at monster faces in my anecdotal experience, usually takes one or two to make them roar then flee.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I have never used a dung pod, why wouldn't you want to fight as many monsters as possible at the same time?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Monomythian posted:

I have never used a dung pod, why wouldn't you want to fight as many monsters as possible at the same time?

I mean you jest but honestly I've had better returns on just heading for the nearest bush or zone border, taking a sharpen break, and letting them resolve matters, nipping when I can Girros style, rather than dunging one off

Usually one side is quick to leave anyway, especially if it devolves into a Turf War with a clear loser

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Diablos was my first triple cart, though much of the second and third cart was finally learning how to use CB guard points. The second try being a no-cart kill where I felt in control 15 mins in has been the high point of the game so far, mainly because it was so fun figuring out what to do before the next try.

It wasn't the incoming damage - I had Divine Blessing 3 active, being a new opponent - it was the stuns. Switching to Stun Resistance 3, Divine Blessing 3 solved the cart problem. Switching to a paralysis weapon (Girros) with good raw damage and impact phials meant Diablos got paralyzed 3 times in addition to the 4-5 KOs from impact damage, great openings for dishing out large damage with the CB. Also learned that Charge Blades apply status very well and I like status+impact more than elemental for the KOs, since I'm not good at countering and keeping up the damage.

Another high point from MP: flash podding a Rathalos that flew up to escape the dam burst flood and watching it get washed away after crash landing on its face.

MH first timer, having a great time learning the stuff you can do in this game.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Just crushed Kushala Daora on my first try, didn't even get carted. Great fight.

Question Is "Land of Convergence" a point-of-no-return quest or is there something along those lines coming up that I need to be aware of in the end game? TIA

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Just crushed Kushala Daora on my first try, didn't even get carted. Great fight.

Question Is "Land of Convergence" a point-of-no-return quest or is there something along those lines coming up that I need to be aware of in the end game? TIA
There is no point of no return

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

homeless snail posted:

There is no point of no return

Rock on, thanks for the quick reply!

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Tobi-kadachi

I thought Tobi was a squirrel?

E:Flying Squirrel to be exact. Even does that glide with flap arms thing they do.

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 22, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Tobi-kadachi

Clearly a ferret :colbert:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

More of a fanged weasel thing, really

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

the point is MH needs more canids and less dragons, get on it capcom

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
Can never have enough Dragons.
We could use more Dino's though. Dinosaurs rule.
More Cats too. We got Narg and Barioth, and technically Tigrex but he's more Dino than Kitty.

Less snakes though. MH does not do snakes well.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Wow, Xeno sure was a lot of pomp and circumstance. Looked cool as Hell but his only real gimmick seems to be "way too much health". Maybe he would have been more challenging if I wasn't using an armor set that lets me block lasers and explosions with a bit of sheet metal and monster skin.

Seriously, how many phases did he really need? Waking up, got a good stretch, all the lasers, flying now...4? That seems excessive, final boss or not.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 22, 2018

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
You can knock him out of the flying, but only if any pods actually spawn.
The biggest issue with Xeno wasnt so much his gratuitous HP, it was his movement. This stupid fucker moved in an extremely wonky manner. Like his foot would move weirdly and his head is a freggin nightmare to hit if you arent a Bow/gunner. He was slow, so his movement felt really jank and unnatural.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

the point is MH needs more canids and less dragons, get on it capcom
uh they're not dragons they're wyverns, furthermore I assume you are talking about "fanged wyverns" and not canids because in the monster hunter universe... :goonsay:

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

And Tyler Too! posted:

Okay I made a video of that weird sound I keep hearing. Listen while I'm sliding down that tiny hill. That's the sound. It goes off all the time and I want it to stop forever.

Edit: gently caress dailymotion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8I46uykMuM

I didn't see anyone reply to this but it's your cat's armor making the noises. If you pick a different set it will stop.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I always watch people streaming or listen to podcasts, I could never play this game with just the ingame audio.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
there are too many armor sets I want :negative: what's the best/easiest way of getting a million armor spheres?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

(and beating the dragon)
I was reading stuff on kiranico, and Brightmoss blinds flying wyverns?

That sounds awesome