Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug
Marlon always made the best thickshakes at the dairy in Lyttelton, miss them dearly :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Earl of Lavender posted:

Marlon always made the best thickshakes at the dairy in Lyttelton, miss them dearly :smith:

Is... is that a metaphor

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

My Marlon Williams story is that I saw him opening for a band while I was still at Uni but I can't remember what band it was. He made way more of an impression on me than they did, whoever it was.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

Is... is that a metaphor

While it is beautiful poetry, it is also literally true.

He was two years ahead of me at Lyttelton Main, which is how I knew him, and he worked at the new dairy on London St while I was in high school.

Earl of Lavender fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 21, 2018

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Labour-NZF get to decide whether to sink $1bn into expanding Waikeria prison to take an additional 3000 inmates, because our current prisons are all full.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11999192

Seems like a no-brainer to just invest even a fraction of that in prevention and restorative justice programs, and instead direct police to be more lenient on non-violent crime and thin the prison population by pardoning/releasing a bunch of people. That probably wouldn't be a popular move, particularly the latter, but it's not like keeping people locked up longer has any correlation with reduced recidivism - just the opposite I'm pretty sure. Maybe also invest another small fraction of the $1bn in reintegration programs.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Read the article. Corrections is already trying to get people out of prisons, but they can't turn them away and they really need the space. You're right since you need to match it with other programs outside of the prisons. New prison or no new prison they are sort of hosed.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Corrections is helping people to seek bail yeah but that's different, I'm talking about actually letting out convicts.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not saying we shouldn't let a lot of people out but you would have to be one hell of an operator to sell that and deal with the 100% certainty that it will blowback when one of them does a crime™ or watches a pirate stream of Rugby.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/351034/national-mp-says-party-informed-of-animal-cruelty-charges

imshockedwellnotthatshocked.jpg

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Just make weed legal then let all the stoners out - probably come out ahead with a nice tax on it too

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

Just make weed legal then let all the stoners out - probably come out ahead with a nice tax on it too

This is the way forward to reduce in mate population - decriminalization of drug consumption in total - and more restorative justice and rehabilitation/treatment for non-violent and, hell, violent crime. Maybe we could just copy the Finnish or Norweigan model? The one thing that's not working is what we're doing - taking already alienated people that commit crimes in the first place and then shutting them away from society while making it harder, not easier, to reintegrate once they get out.

It just seems like it would be an upsettingly hard sell to the NZ public. It's weird for me living in the US with fully legalized recreational marijuana (California) and to have NZ be so far behind when it's so much more progressive in a bunch of other ways.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Obama might be visiting NZ soon and

David Seymour posted:

ACT Party leader David Seymour said he hoped to take advantage of Mr Obama's visit to save charter schools from being closed by the government.

He's written to the former president to visit one while here, saying he could help change Labour's mind.

"He's somebody who is from the political left, who's a Democrat. But he was able to look pragmatically at what worked and became somebody who called charter schools "incubators of innovations". Somebody who had a presidential week of celebrations of charter (schools)."

Mr Seymour has not heard back about his invitation.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

How many people are in prison because of weed? I thought it was still considered a pretty minor offence.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I don't think anyone is imprisoned just for smoking/possessing a bit of weed

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

How many people are in prison because of weed? I thought it was still considered a pretty minor offence.

Pretty sure they only seek jail time for serious dealers. Usually alongside other offences such as firearms related or harder drugs.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

I'm p sure dealing it will get you sent down. I'm also guessing methamphetamine possession sends a bunch of people away

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It came up in the deputy leaders debate during the election, Paula Bennet used it as a bit of a "gotcha" against Marama Davidson. Apparently there are only like 5 people in prison for possession of weed.

Possession with intent to supply is treated much more seriously though, a friend of mine was charged with that and was lucky not to get jail time (also probably helped to be middle class, white and university educated).

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I know at least two dudes who got caught for repeat DUIs and then fled the cops and still only got curfews and license suspensions explicitly because there's no room in the prisons.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I know at least two dudes who got caught for repeat DUIs and then fled the cops and still only got curfews and license suspensions explicitly because there's no room in the prisons.

I knew a guy like this too.

Also know a guy with a decent size :420: operation who got busted and wheedled his way into PD, crowded prisons were a contributing factor.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bike tory posted:

It came up in the deputy leaders debate during the election, Paula Bennet used it as a bit of a "gotcha" against Marama Davidson. Apparently there are only like 5 people in prison for possession of weed.
The important part of that fact is that the numbers of people imprisoned for possession as their only crime is that low. There are hundreds that are imprisoned with additional offences attached such as possession for supply, cultivation, possession of a utensil, or with unrelated lesser crimes that did not carry prison sentences.

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

bike tory posted:

I'm surprised she didn't just turn this around and say "well, if we're not prosecuting it, it can't be a serious crime, so decriminalization is a natural step"

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

SuperiorColliculus posted:

I'm surprised she didn't just turn this around and say "well, if we're not prosecuting it, it can't be a serious crime, so decriminalization is a natural step"

l'esprit d'escalier, I'm sure

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Remember that Bennett also claimed that her million-dollar testing program was a success because it made beneficiaries stop taking drugs.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jesus my reaction to this was one of the more visceral cringes of my life, poor Jacinda:
https://youtu.be/IK9nBH2vBiQ

Unrelatedly, New Shub reckons Bridges and Adams are neck and neck in the national leadership race, 23-22. They have a preferential voting system too so it's really either one's game with like 10 votes spread among the others. Collins in dead last at two :lol:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Adams is an idiot.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jacinda confirms victory bone.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Adams is an idiot.

No she's not, unfortunately

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bike tory posted:

No she's not, unfortunately

Based on an admittedly limited sample of dealing with her around information sharing law reform, she actually is.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ghostlight posted:

Jacinda confirms victory bone.

Good for her.

Reaaaallly didn't need the confirmation and you don't need to be Sherlock. Did he run out of real questions?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

sebmojo posted:

Based on an admittedly limited sample of dealing with her around information sharing law reform, she actually is.

lbr there are very few ministers in parliament who would deal with this in an intelligent way

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

bike tory posted:

Unrelatedly, New Shub reckons Bridges and Adams are neck and neck in the national leadership race, 23-22. They have a preferential voting system too so it's really either one's game with like 10 votes spread among the others. Collins in dead last at two :lol:

So the eventual winner doesn't currently have a majority? No mandate :colbert:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bike tory posted:

Jesus my reaction to this was one of the more visceral cringes of my life, poor Jacinda:
https://youtu.be/IK9nBH2vBiQ

Noooo crusher turn left :(

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

I feel like that heater is a prop from Red Dwarf. Honestly I can't tell anymore.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

The elements were made of wire and clay

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pararoid posted:

The elements were made of wire and clay

come on and plug me in, plug me in, plug me in

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Everything about this image is perfectly David Seymour.

Christ what a rimmer.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Jesus how do people bring themselves to put a tick next to this man's name he is such a goober

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

There's a reason that "something failing to pretend to be human" is such an effective horror trope.

David "Uncanny Valley Motherfucker" Seymour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
He looks stoned off his rear end, committed-adultery-in-Saudi-Arabia blasted.

• Locked thread