Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
My Yetee shirt just shipped if anyone was waiting on those AGDQ ones to go out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well I'm gonna hop on the big orange couch and take a look

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

DoctorWhat posted:

you're a soulless, joyless husk who probably hates Crush 40, too

Everyone should hate Crush 40, but appreciate the guitar work that's there.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LHHLzmIKHk

No major glitches lol

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

So many things about that TAS are just :discourse:

Mocking Mach Ball? Xray Spark, Riddles and Phantoon fights.

Shabadu fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Feb 21, 2018

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

What the hell is the definition of "no out-of-bounds" now?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pneub posted:

What the hell is the definition of "no out-of-bounds" now?
I'm guessing it's not actually leaving the rooms to enter areas off the standard map, just taking, uh, let's say "non-standard" routes through normal rooms.

Some of the techniques in this are used in a different recent TAS to do exactly that, letting them complete the game in about seven minutes, collecting no items.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zCQ_AtXZNw

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Well :rip: the Darker Side skip in Odyssey. The latest update took that out (as well as the Talkatoo Jump Rope glitch.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dr. Fetus posted:

Well :rip: the Darker Side skip in Odyssey. The latest update took that out (as well as the Talkatoo Jump Rope glitch.)
They fixed Talkatoo storage?! I loved that glitch.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm not watching a 6+ hour video, sorry

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

grats

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

PB by 10 seconds in a marathon run.

I am satisfied with this result (and can still improve upon that).

Edit: And thanks to the magic of open block, and six hours of San Andreas getting cut because Joshimuz didn't feel well, I have finally, after years of trying, gotten Ragnarok Battle Offline into a marathon. Hell yeah.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 22, 2018

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

iospace posted:

I'm not watching a 6+ hour video, sorry

Phew, I'm glad that national crisis was averted.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Phew, I'm glad that national crisis was averted.

The joke.

Your head.

I'm saying that the highlight video is the entire block

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

KennyMan666 posted:

PB by 10 seconds in a marathon run.

I am satisfied with this result (and can still improve upon that).

Edit: And thanks to the magic of open block, and six hours of San Andreas getting cut because Joshimuz didn't feel well, I have finally, after years of trying, gotten Ragnarok Battle Offline into a marathon. Hell yeah.

Joshimuz... :(

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
TAS of Celeste's second chapter, Old Site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJzlUoJz-Po

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I honestly didn't watch most of ESA Winter but I've been watching some runs this final day. Pokemon Crystal was kinda cool, but they were planning some new RNG manipulation strat where they consisently can get Entei, and when it didn't work after a couple tries they switched to another cart with a save that already had Entei in it. Weird poo poo, I've never seen that in a Marathon before.

Now Mario Odyssey is up as the last run of the marathon, that might be fun.

I do wonder why the European marathon still list its donations in US dollars, though.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The whole ESA just sailed right by me. Maybe I'm a bit full of speedrun marathons right now.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Good for him.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Carbon dioxide posted:

I honestly didn't watch most of ESA Winter but I've been watching some runs this final day. Pokemon Crystal was kinda cool, but they were planning some new RNG manipulation strat where they consisently can get Entei, and when it didn't work after a couple tries they switched to another cart with a save that already had Entei in it. Weird poo poo, I've never seen that in a Marathon before.
I know runs have had backup saves prepared before at GDQs, I don't know if I've ever seen one that was actually used though.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I know runs have had backup saves prepared before at GDQs, I don't know if I've ever seen one that was actually used though.
I believe Pokemon Emerald at SGDQ 17? went to a backup save because RNG manipulation was messed up. Then the runner messed up something else later on.

Straeveras ran Super Metroid - Reverse Boss Order a few marathons ago. It's a very not-marathon-safe run so he had multiple carts full of backup saves at the different points he thought he could die at

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

One of the Dark Souls 1 runs used a backup save with the black knight halberd iirc.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the mgs5 run at esa was a good watch

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The best run of AGDQ18, Arabian Nights, needed to use one after a merchant refused to sell the runner a needed progression item.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SatansBestBuddy posted:

The best run of AGDQ18, Arabian Nights, needed to use one after a merchant refused to sell the runner a needed progression item.
I only watched the first half of Arabian Nights, I should go back and finish that.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Getting to be the one who closed off ESA Winter, read the final donations, announce the raid target and say the final goodbye to the viewers was no joke one of the biggest honours I've ever had. I hadn't even planned on being around for the final runs, even - originally I intended to not be in the room for Odyssey, just swing by for the finale, but then the donation computer ws empty partway through Crystal, I took up the headset, and then I just stuck with it until the end, through the bonus game, even though I had been quite hungry and needed to go pee since partway through Odyssey. Had to take a bit of a walk to find an actual night-open pizza place afterwards, the one right next to the hotel closed already at 21:00.

No regrets whatsoever. ESA this summer is going to be off the loving chain and I'm pretty seriously considering skipping the convention that overlaps with it and which I left last ESA early for, because this marathon was an absolute blast. Easily up there in the at least top three best speedrunning marathons I have ever attended, if not the best. And the summer one is already shaping up to be even better, and I got plans for submissions already.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

iPodschun posted:

I believe Pokemon Emerald at SGDQ 17? went to a backup save because RNG manipulation was messed up. Then the runner messed up something else later on.

Pokemon HeartGold, actually, and yeah - they couldn't get the manip for getting the trainer ID right, and then took too long with their backup CART to have a later trick work right, and they didn't have any more backups. Run got mercy killed after the allotted time was up.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

KennyMan666 posted:

Had to take a bit of a walk to find an actual night-open pizza place afterwards, the one right next to the hotel closed already at 21:00.
lol europe

...really though ESA was good, props to you and all involved :shobon:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

Getting to be the one who closed off ESA Winter, read the final donations, announce the raid target and say the final goodbye to the viewers was no joke one of the biggest honours I've ever had. I hadn't even planned on being around for the final runs, even - originally I intended to not be in the room for Odyssey, just swing by for the finale, but then the donation computer ws empty partway through Crystal, I took up the headset, and then I just stuck with it until the end, through the bonus game, even though I had been quite hungry and needed to go pee since partway through Odyssey. Had to take a bit of a walk to find an actual night-open pizza place afterwards, the one right next to the hotel closed already at 21:00.

No regrets whatsoever. ESA this summer is going to be off the loving chain and I'm pretty seriously considering skipping the convention that overlaps with it and which I left last ESA early for, because this marathon was an absolute blast. Easily up there in the at least top three best speedrunning marathons I have ever attended, if not the best. And the summer one is already shaping up to be even better, and I got plans for submissions already.

Oh so you were the guy to which the runner said "GODDAMMIT I SAID SERIOUS TIME".

Is there a pastebin about that yet?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Carbon dioxide posted:

Oh so you were the guy to which the runner said "GODDAMMIT I SAID SERIOUS TIME".

Is there a pastebin about that yet?
lol

Well that was Jinny and I've known him in real life for over ten years, so the chances of a pastebin of that are pretty low, I'd say.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

KennyMan666 posted:

grats sounds like fun times. ESA has always been really good in my mind but you've really made me look forward to SESA.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
SESA and WESA are good acronyms. I like them, mainly because it would break the confusion between the loving european space agency

Anyway, I was routing/practicing a new horror speedgame called White Day: A Labyrinth Named School over the past week or two, it came out last year.

Got the ~world record~ on the first day of actual attempts by like a solid minute and a half or so: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r18u2eOj1QM

thank you, and enjoy spookyfast

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

love to PB

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Not a speedrun, but are any TASers looking into how this works?

Apparently a learning AI discovered a glitch in Q*Bert to rack up points instead of advancing the level

https://twitter.com/random_eddie/status/968336485287112706

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meE5aaRJ0Zs

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

https://twitter.com/BIGHONKINBURGER/status/968722584119496704
I hate getting murdered instantly but love murdering back

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Dr. Dos posted:

Not a speedrun, but are any TASers looking into how this works?

Apparently a learning AI discovered a glitch in Q*Bert to rack up points instead of advancing the level

https://twitter.com/random_eddie/status/968336485287112706

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meE5aaRJ0Zs

Rest in peace human element (2017-2018)

I'd love to know what exactly happened.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

grand theft grotto posted:

Todd Rodgers died for our sins.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Bunch of local speedmemers speedmemeing for a good cause this weekend
https://www.speedrun.com/MidWinter_SpeedSprinter/schedule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

grand theft grotto posted:

Other reporting sources speculate it was a bad port of the arcade version that made the bug happen. It also didn't always work. And there's a second novel strategy employed where the AI starts off an endless cycle of suicide on one level but doing so gave enough points to earn an extra life.