Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Keldroc posted:

Who's the gigantic Armada Jetfire looking guy in the third row?

The best part of this quote is how it says, "Not Jetfire," on the pic in it's toy article.

Picked up movie Barricade from my local Wal-mart, cause it was on sale. really wish the instructions told you you had to ratchet the shoulder back, spent like ten minutes loving with them to get him to transform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Lepecard posted:

Oh man, I can't get over that minotaur/dinosaur guy with club in the bottom left second to last row.

That’s Trypticon.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/tfwiki/status/966683016264404992

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Even more than the waist, third parties need to make an add-on part to give Predaking a bigger lion head chest/mane.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maybe they think Predaking should be slim now since he is an athletic beastial bot, instead of a swole construction guy like Devastator. Like, maybe if they make the other Combiners titan-sized, Abominus would be a hunchbacked freak like Bayformers Devastator while Computron is a stick thin nerd with huge glasses.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The MSJ posted:

Maybe they think Predaking should be slim now since he is an athletic beastial bot, instead of a swole construction guy like Devastator. Like, maybe if they make the other Combiners titan-sized, Abominus would be a hunchbacked freak like Bayformers Devastator while Computron is a stick thin nerd with huge glasses.

I could gently caress with that. Movie Devastator rules.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

I could gently caress with that. Movie Devastator rules.

Now I know you're trolling us.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

He never got toys good enough to suit his design but the concept of combination being this horrifying, animalistic process that produces a shambling, mindless horror is a solid one. And the Diaclone-style color distribution rules.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay I see what you mean, I thought you meant that horrible toy we got was good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Okay I see what you mean, I thought you meant that horrible toy we got was good.

Absolutely no one would ever think that

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Legends Devastator is good for what it is.

EDIT - and I wish they'd actually used this design

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Burkion posted:

Absolutely no one would ever think that

Have you met DoctorWhat?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Supreme Movie Devastator is a big dumb idiot brick for morons. The legends version is cute and fun though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Nodosaur posted:

The Legends Devastator is good for what it is.

EDIT - and I wish they'd actually used this design

They just had to make sure there was a bipedal crotch to do the testicles joke.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Have you met DoctorWhat?

Look he's not that bad.

Legends Dev is a neat little thing that is categorically superior to the giant gently caress off one

I just will never associate anything good with Movie Dev on base reaction just because of the scrotum jokes.

We should absolutely get more combiners LIKE him though, that become these huge monstrous things.

It's kind of ridiculous that all of these combiners come together and just make a big boring dude.

Like, you'd think Abominus, made up of MONSTERS and poo poo, would be this freaky giant monster bot- nope, he's just a generic handsome-ish bland bloke that's tall.

It's one thing I adore about a Non Transformers Combining Robot series, GranSazer

There the individual robits are a whale, a falcon, a lion and a rhinobeetle that all transform into humanoid forms, and there's a fifth robot that's just a big gently caress off armored dude who doesn't even have an animal form

They all combine into a giant dinosaur kaiju with a lion and whale arm and double cannons on its back and it's great. Absolutely no humanoid combination at all, just a big gently caress off super kaiju combiner that punches people with whales.

Why can't we have that in Transformers

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Now you're just reminding me of Linkbots, the subline of Z-Bots that combined into weird, kinda vehicular lumps. Look at these dorks:

Kinda dumb, right? Except I played with these guys a bunch and combined them a ton as a kid, whereas I also had the G2 Constructicons and Aerialbots as a kid, and I'm not sure I combined them at all. I think on the few occasions I tried to combine the transformers, there were always pieces missing.

Whereas these little robot-lumps were simple, and even a part-way combination is kinda cool. They're great.

RIP Galoob, man.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Now you're just reminding me of Linkbots, the subline of Z-Bots that combined into weird, kinda vehicular lumps. Look at these dorks:

Kinda dumb, right? Except I played with these guys a bunch and combined them a ton as a kid, whereas I also had the G2 Constructicons and Aerialbots as a kid, and I'm not sure I combined them at all. I think on the few occasions I tried to combine the transformers, there were always pieces missing.

Whereas these little robot-lumps were simple, and even a part-way combination is kinda cool. They're great.

RIP Galoob, man.
I had Kon Struk Ton and it was super fun.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I miss my z-bots. you know what was neat about them is that each one was insanely original. There were some homages here and there or things with obvious inspirations but each had a lot of their own special sauce.

Kind of wish Transformers had a line left with originality. RID tried, I guess, but didn't work for me for whatever reason.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I miss my z-bots. you know what was neat about them is that each one was insanely original. There were some homages here and there or things with obvious inspirations but each had a lot of their own special sauce.

Kind of wish Transformers had a line left with originality. RID tried, I guess, but didn't work for me for whatever reason.
I have exactly four Z-bots floating around. One is a repaint of another :negative:

Galoob really was great though. The new Micro Machines just don't compare, even if the casting quality is way better.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That's corporate agglomeration at work there, companies buy up each other until there's only a few big ones left in the industry, and they're less inclined to offer as much variety. I don't know what official metrics to check to confirm it, but it sure seems like the bulk of the toy aisles are just 3 companies.

I don't know if that's just the oppression of aggressive corporate expansionism, the economies of scale keeping out little companies, or just the power of branding.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SlothfulCobra posted:

That's corporate agglomeration at work there, companies buy up each other until there's only a few big ones left in the industry, and they're less inclined to offer as much variety. I don't know what official metrics to check to confirm it, but it sure seems like the bulk of the toy aisles are just 3 companies.

I don't know if that's just the oppression of aggressive corporate expansionism, the economies of scale keeping out little companies, or just the power of branding.

In five more years it's just going be entirely POPs.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I feel like the Japanese toy markets a little different. Like bandai of Japan makes completely new designs for Kamen rider and super sentai every year, and the poo poo they come up with can be pretty left field. Do Google image searches for Kamen rider Ichigo (the 1970's design) then Google for Kamen rider ex-aid or Kamen rider build. They expect those designs to represent the franchise for a year at a time.

Except Lego, I don't think there's something over here that reinvents itself every year like that.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

SlothfulCobra posted:

They just had to make sure there was a bipedal crotch to do the testicles joke.

Even though I'm pretty sure none of the Constructicons shown actually had a wrecking ball until that scene, let alone two.

RotF is such utter garbage, even by the standards of the Bay movies.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

All of the Dinobots are now listed on the Toys R Us UK website, and all are listed as "Not Available for Delivery, Not available for Click & Collect, Not Sold in stores" except Grimlock who is apparently only available in stores. gently caress sake

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Kinda funny that Z-Bots are pretty much the only Hasbro or Takara-Tomy owned robot franchise that hasn't gotten acknowledgement in TF fiction at some point, which is kinda amazing as even stuff like Robotics has gotten that kind of reference in the fiction at this point

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

All of the Dinobots are now listed on the Toys R Us UK website, and all are listed as "Not Available for Delivery, Not available for Click & Collect, Not Sold in stores" except Grimlock who is apparently only available in stores. gently caress sake

They put them up on the US Hasbro site weeks before they are usually available.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Well I know they're coming now, so I won't have to deal with the frankly ridiculous mark-up some of them have on Amazon

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Try Smyths to see if you get lucky. They had them all here but got a pretty sharp destocking as nerds panicked. Or, worst case scenario, you're in the greater London area/commuter belt, right? I'll be heading over again for the weekend after this and I might be able to pick them up for you.

ETA:

SlothfulCobra posted:

Actually there's way more variety of subject choices and individual sculpts of those subjects, it's just that while the casting quality is better and you get a crisper model, the actual sculpted detail itself is lacking so it's a bit weird by comparison. Also the plastic used is a much harder and less "friendly" sort than the old Galoob sculpts. Adding to that, while the blind bags are Cool and Good they do repeat ships from the regular packs, which themselves have considerable overlap in figure selection. Which, TBH, I think killed the line. There's no point putting out a late-wave assortment that's just 1/3rd new sculpts, 1/3rd old sculpts with a new paintjob (although I bought the gently caress out of the Matchbox Scarrif X-wing...), and 1/3d old sculpts just painted flat metallic gold.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 22, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Well I know they're coming now, so I won't have to deal with the frankly ridiculous mark-up some of them have on Amazon

The marketplace is a terrible thing.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Keldroc posted:

Even though I'm pretty sure none of the Constructicons shown actually had a wrecking ball until that scene, let alone two.

RotF is such utter garbage, even by the standards of the Bay movies.

Hightower had one at the concept art stage.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

drrockso20 posted:

Kinda funny that Z-Bots are pretty much the only Hasbro or Takara-Tomy owned robot franchise that hasn't gotten acknowledgement in TF fiction at some point, which is kinda amazing as even stuff like Robotics has gotten that kind of reference in the fiction at this point

the reason why is because they are a 90's toy and not an 80's toy.

we still hear about Go-Bots in 2018 because it's all about 1984 with the fans.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Try Smyths to see if you get lucky. They had them all here but got a pretty sharp destocking as nerds panicked. Or, worst case scenario, you're in the greater London area/commuter belt, right? I'll be heading over again for the weekend after this and I might be able to pick them up for you.

alas no, Portsmouth is probably a bit too far. Still, there are plenty of Toys R Us and Smyths near some of the busier towns I do work in, so I can keep checking, then use Amazon to fill out the gaps.

In comic news: new Optimus Prime, the Optimus Prime annual and the next Lost Light are all out next week and yeah, the Scavengers aren't dead. I'm also not spoilering that because it's revealed in the second page of the preview that's floating around

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

alas no, Portsmouth is probably a bit too far. Still, there are plenty of Toys R Us and Smyths near some of the busier towns I do work in, so I can keep checking, then use Amazon to fill out the gaps.
Portsmouth is apparently exactly as far from London as where I will be in Guildford, and I do kind of want to see the naval museum at some point so just lemme know before Wednesday if you change your mind.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Hemingway To Go! posted:

the reason why is because they are a 90's toy and not an 80's toy.

we still hear about Go-Bots in 2018 because it's all about 1984 with the fans.

Truth. The franchise is being devoured by a collective midlife crisis and it's tiring. Beast Wars barely gets anything while even the most obscure uncharacterized G1 offshoots get fan service. We all love Optimus Prime and Megatron, but Peter Cullen and Frank Welker are going to die eventually. Let the franchise move on, for god's sake.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
We're rapidly approaching late 90s Nostalgia, so don't you worry.

Beast Wars time is coming, if we want it to or not

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

A lovely Reporter posted:

Beast Wars barely gets anything while even the most obscure uncharacterized G1 offshoots get fan service.

Beast Wars honestly has it the best out of any of the non-G1 material that isn't the movie. Waspinator, Rattrap, Rhinox, et all are all pretty recent, there have been/will be three Beast Wars MPs (four if you count Shadow Panther), and Primal is on the way. Compared to most everything else that isn't G1, BW has it extremely good.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Except Lego, I don't think there's something over here that reinvents itself every year like that.

Lego seems like it's slowing down it's roll a bit and Mega Contrux/Bloks is picking up, as far as creativity goes, some of the current MC/B sets are crazy detailed, and I've noticed that lego seems to be making pieces based on ones MC/B has had out for awhile.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A lovely Reporter posted:

Truth. The franchise is being devoured by a collective midlife crisis and it's tiring. Beast Wars barely gets anything while even the most obscure uncharacterized G1 offshoots get fan service. We all love Optimus Prime and Megatron, but Peter Cullen and Frank Welker are going to die eventually. Let the franchise move on, for god's sake.

Gary Chalk is the one true Prime.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I picked up all the wave 2 deluxes except for Moonracer today and now that I have Volcanicus together I quite like it. Putting the spare fists on either side of his lower chest really bulks him out, so the only really thin part is his thighs, which I guess is for posing reasons.

He really does need a sword, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I picked up all the wave 2 deluxes except for Moonracer today and now that I have Volcanicus together I quite like it. Putting the spare fists on either side of his lower chest really bulks him out, so the only really thin part is his thighs, which I guess is for posing reasons.

He really does need a sword, though.

Wonder how well the FOC Grimlock weapons would fit on Volcanicus?