Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gorilla Salad posted:

That skateboarder guy at 7:30 was a massive rear end.

South Yarra/Prahran area, just around the corner from Chapel St? Yeah that goes without saying. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/4PDaj76.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/6LGH8cy.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/n1GLxTv.mp4

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Coach Bombay would be proud.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

Coach Bombay would be proud.

Before I knew how to play hockey I thought "triple deke" meant skating around the puck three times at the beginning.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I guess schadenfreude is on all Canadian curling fans. Canada miss the medals for the first time in women's curling, and have to play for bronze in the men's.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Taking away any civil right is an awful thing.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah the civil right to own assault weapons would be awful to infringe upon.

Oh, wait, no.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
A crowd of people cheering for "ban every semi-automatic rifle" is marketing gold for the NRA. That's gonna be in every single mailer and newsletter.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'd be ok with banning any new semi-auto sales, but no other restrictions on revolvers, pump, bolt action, etc. Hunters get to hunt, people get to still own guns, and all the semi's out there become insanely valuable for trades. It could work!

Oh wait, lobbyists. Forgot about them. Never mind.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Lately I've been thinking a lot about how the defeatist rhetoric around gun reform from pro-gun-reform people is as useful to the NRA as their actual anti-gun-reform rhetoric is. I mean given the evidence of history it's really hard not to be defeatist about it (and holy poo poo am I, lol) but it's a tremendously useful thing in any sort of fight for your enemy to think you are so invincible that they shouldn't even try. I don't have anything insightful to say about it, but I've just been thinking about it a lot.

e: just to be clear that wasn't me responding to any of the above, it's just a thing that's been on my mind a lot

Trig Discipline has a new favorite as of 16:08 on Feb 22, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There's too much money to be lost on any real gun control. That's why it will never happen.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

There's too much money to be lost on any real gun control. That's why it will never happen.

Yeah but my point is that if that's NOT true, but everyone THINKS it's true, then it's every bit as good as it actually being true. That doesn't mean that it's not actually true, it just means that it being true isn't as important as everyone thinking it's true, from their perspective.

why yes, I have had a lot of wine tonight why do you ask

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Phanatic posted:

A crowd of people cheering for "ban every semi-automatic rifle" is marketing gold for the NRA. That's gonna be in every single mailer and newsletter.

Because being actively hostile to people who will reach voting age in the next 6 months to 3 years will work out very well for them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Taking away any civil right is an awful thing.

Civil rights are whatever civil society says they are.

HTH.

I like the fact that, where I live, I have the civil right to not worry about mass shootings.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Phanatic posted:

This is exactly why Deutch is speaking as carefully as he is. Him being very careful in not flatly saying "ban semi-automatic rifles" means he knows what the term means, and hasn't made a sound bite for the NRA to use. It's actually pretty neat.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gorilla Salad posted:

I like the fact that, where I live, I have the civil right to not worry about mass shootings.

:same:

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

the main difference is that in the US it's a constitutional right, not just a "civil" right. those can't be changed with simple legislative votes, etc., as by definition they'd be unconstitutional. you have to ratify an amendment, and that's hard as gently caress. Most of the talk is just bullshit because nobody has a clear plan on actually passing the amendment or making gun laws that won't just get thrown out as being unconstitutional when they're challenged later.

we probably shouldn't ruin this thread with gun talk.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

crabrock posted:

Gun talk

Gun talk

Gun talk

we probably shouldn't ruin this thread with gun talk.

Wow, you think?

https://youtu.be/aoLYJC6_HGE

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

Ariong posted:

Wow, you think?

i did not have 3 paragraphs of gun talk :colbert: FAKE NEWS

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Let me tell you how extremely cool and good it feels to be a new parent and know that my country loves guns so much that not only does the regular slaughter of innocents not prompt any sort of common sense gun reform (or any change at all) but that the party in power is advocating for more guns around kids. "Guns were used to kill a bunch of teens? I guess there weren't enough guns nearby the prevent it. Here's more guns and some textbooks on how God helped form America and how abortions are really murder." Every day is literally Russian Roulette hoping that 1) someone won't be demented enough to stage an attack on your kid's school and 2) you kid doesn't wind up a target. Nothing you can really do but try not to dwell on it, which will totally work right up until the moment it doesn't.

I'll take my ragefeelings back to CSPAM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnWAPG6wkco

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://nypost.com/2018/02/21/nyu-served-racially-insensitive-black-history-month-meal/

quote:

New York University served up a “Black History Month” meal at one of its dining halls — complete with watermelon-flavored water and collard greens — and had to apologize when students called the school out for playing into racist stereotypes.

“If you want to learn how to celebrate Black history and culture during this month you can ask the black students at this school instead of patronizing us with Koolaid, watermelon and ribs,” she wrote.

In the last day, her post has racked up over 300 reactions and 117 shares, with students at other universities sharing their Black History Month meal horror stories.

NYU President Andrew Hamilton sent a statement to Washington Square News apologizing for the “inexcusably insensitive” meal and passed off the blame to the school’s food contractor, Aramark.

“We were shocked to learn of the drink and food choices that our food service provider — Aramark — offered at the Weinstein dining hall,” the statement read. “We are grateful to the students who brought this to the attention of the University.”

Aramark suspended the director of the dining hall, said it was investigating how the incident happened and will be putting sensitivity training in place for its staff.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kid flushing the phone down the toilet was pretty great.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Forrest Fenn's buried treasure claims another victim

quote:

On June 9, rescuers found Murphy's body at the bottom of a steep, rocky slope.

For months, Yellowstone officials offered little information about Murphy's death except to say that an investigation was under way.

But on Tuesday, a Montana news station confirmed what some have suspected all along: Murphy died - as have at least three others in recent years - in a quest for treasure that a millionaire said he buried in 2010.

Reporters from KULR said they obtained through a public-records request a private report from park investigators that showed Murphy had set out in search of a cache of gold and jewels that antiquities dealer Forrest Fenn says he hid somewhere in the Rocky Mountains.
https://www.theage.com.au/world/man...222-h0wgi3.html

Note that Fenn was 80 years old when he hid the treasure and he's stressed that it's not in a dangerous place and people shouldn't search for it anywhere where an 80- year old man wouldn't have been able to hide it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Aramark serves lovely food year-round. They probably just had that on the menu because they got it from the "about to be expired" shelf at the bulk food distributor. They're also a company that loves to negotiate the absolutely horrendous deal of "you have to use us for catering every single event on campus" which always ends up being hideously over-priced sandwiches that you could make yourself in 30 seconds. Except your 30 second sandwiches would taste better.

Aramark should be burned to the ground, is what I'm saying.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SpacePig posted:

This is exactly why Deutch is speaking as carefully as he is. Him being very careful in not flatly saying "ban semi-automatic rifles" means he knows what the term means, and hasn't made a sound bite for the NRA to use. It's actually pretty neat.

Lol it doesn’t matter and this weird obsession with sound bites like they mean anything is why we are in this mess.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Aramark serves lovely food year-round.

They were our work cafeteria service until recently. So trust me, I know.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Aramark serves lovely food year-round. They probably just had that on the menu because they got it from the "about to be expired" shelf at the bulk food distributor. They're also a company that loves to negotiate the absolutely horrendous deal of "you have to use us for catering every single event on campus" which always ends up being hideously over-priced sandwiches that you could make yourself in 30 seconds. Except your 30 second sandwiches would taste better.

iirc Aramark is also literally run by the mob (with FBI investigations and everything) so enjoy your stoolieburgers

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Forrest Fenn's buried treasure claims another victim

https://www.theage.com.au/world/man...222-h0wgi3.html

Note that Fenn was 80 years old when he hid the treasure and he's stressed that it's not in a dangerous place and people shouldn't search for it anywhere where an 80- year old man wouldn't have been able to hide it.

Surely I'm not the only person who thinks Fenn never actually buried anything and he's just having us on?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Surely I'm not the only person who thinks Fenn never actually buried anything and he's just having us on?

Even if he went and said "it isn't there, I was joking you dumb bastards" some even bigger morons would take that as a hint to go look even harder. And then we get new thread content all over again!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://twitter.com/PeteBlackburn/status/966578128322777088

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Whoooeeee that's a lot of real bad hot takes

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Sagebrush posted:

Whoooeeee that's a lot of real bad hot takes

But it's so disrespectful! To.... Uhhh... The IOC or something. Or... Uhhhhh....

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Our local city name sports team fired Aramark from our arena's concessions a couple years ago. The food prices went up 50% but the food quality went up 200%, so it was a win-win all around.

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Did something unfair happen that cost them a gold medal, or is she just mad that they didn't win?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Team sports at the Olympics are rough because you have to look happy about getting a silver right after losing a championship game. Even bronze medalists win their last game. Don't blame her for being cranky.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Found a rude Canadian!

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

mng posted:

Found a rude Canadian!

Figment of your mass realities. You are all collectively imagining it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

mng posted:

Found a rude Canadian!

I've been reading a few news articles about how Justin Trudeau is stepping on nearly every single Indian/Sikh politics landmine during his visit to India.
And Indian twitter is making fun of him for not dressing right
https://twitter.com/OmarAbdullah/status/966218016286441472
https://twitter.com/DilliDurAst/status/966413246277267456

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

canyoneer posted:

I've been reading a few news articles about how Justin Trudeau is stepping on nearly every single Indian/Sikh politics landmine during his visit to India.
And Indian twitter is making fun of him for not dressing right
https://twitter.com/OmarAbdullah/status/966218016286441472
https://twitter.com/DilliDurAst/status/966413246277267456

Speaking of Trudeau and India/Indians...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jaspal-atwal-invite-dinner-sophie-1.4545881

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right