Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

I love you like a fat kid loves cake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I've been thinking the simplest possible partial solution could be increasing waiting periods by an obnoxious amount (Say ~6 months). Certainly wouldn't solve everything, but it also couldn't hurt.

Until that first person gets killed by an immigrant during that waiting period.

Here’s some good news for your day. Philly DA is ending cash bail for low leve offenses.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/The-End-of-Cash-Bail-in-Philadelphia-District-Attorney-to-Issue-Policy-Change-474728233.html

quote:

"There is absolutely no reason why someone who will show up for court, is not a flight risk, and is no threat to their neighbors and community, needs to sit in jail for days because they can't post a small amount of bail," Krasner said.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Chiwie posted:

I honestly don't get why they wont put in an Australian style background check/safe system while still allowing access to semi autos. It's a legit everyone wins scenario.

At the risk of starting an angry gun chat:

The current gun tracing system is completely done in paper, not even computerized, because the NRA wants it dumb and slow. Improvements to the background check system have been continuously killed in Congress.

The NRA is both a massive trade organization and a highly organized second amendment defense/voting organization, both of which push it to advocate for more guns in almost all cases. So every time someone gets denied a gun, the NRA not only views it as someone having their rights violated, they also view it as a missed sale. I'm not really sure which aspect they care about more.

Politicians fear the NRA because of its motivated voter base, they love the financial contributions, and they generally agree with the NRA's viewpoints. I'm not really sure which aspect they care about more.

Outside of guns, CNN has the Army looking for an escape hatch out of the White House for McMaster before he gets completely shoved out. https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/966641481569193984

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Slim Pickens posted:

The description says she just goes to every qual and made it that way, but that YouTube channel is cancer so it could just be bullshit :shrug:

If nothing else I hope she's getting laid a fuckload, why else go just to finish in last

Edit: ok I guess I found a real reason she's competing.

https://www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/meet-elizabeth-swaney-the-american-skier-who-scammed-her-way-to-the-olympics/

Yeah, she hosed around with loopholes and stuff to just barely place at a bunch of events, and somehow ended up qualifying for the Olympics that way, albeit leagues behind every other athlete

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

facialimpediment posted:

Outside of guns, CNN has the Army looking for an escape hatch out of the White House for McMaster before he gets completely shoved out. https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/966641481569193984

Reminds me of the end of Sgt Bilko. Hope he enjoys his posting in Greenland.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
After being in the Trump administration a trip to Thule Air Base would probably be a welcome change.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Every indication is that they're trying to promote McMaster to his highest level of incompetence and give him his fourth star as a way to solve two problems at once: get him out because he makes Trump mad and have him save face by getting promoted.

The funny thing is that Trump could simply refuse to give McMaster the fourth star because everything Trump touches dies.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/toddstarnes/status/966506395876159488

Ice cream I guess?

Edit: what a pissy little baby lol

https://twitter.com/toddstarnes/status/966511070629199873

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 22, 2018

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I support kids being able to bitch, moan, ask questions, and hold people accountable without censorship rather than bottling that poo poo up and shooting up a school.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Hahahaha I read the first tweet and thought he was supportive/joking but lol at that second one. What a little bitch.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Think about how irreparably damaged these kids are now. And you’re mad because they have a normal reaction to it?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Dude is filling his diaper lol

https://twitter.com/toddstarnes/status/966637111792361473

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Guys the teen was being awfully mean to that poor spineless jellyfish. Sleeping at night on a giant pile of NRA money is tough on the back.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Yep those kids speaking out about things I disagree with, they're trampling all over my first amendment rights!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

The best take from last night came at CPAC this morning

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/966672597835567109

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Watching today's SpaceX launch, it's going well.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, she hosed around with loopholes and stuff to just barely place at a bunch of events, and somehow ended up qualifying for the Olympics that way, albeit leagues behind every other athlete

i thought u military dorks were supposed to salute your superiors. god knows i am

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

what a piece of poo poo

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am very happy with those kids in florida walking out of school and participating in town hall.

I guess the saying "things have to get worse before it gets better" is a bit too true.

Now we just need things to get way worse.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

So, this is an interesting tact the NRA is making toward mass shooting :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/NRATV/status/966534627522301952

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/966686285946638336

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Abolish the NRA

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There is something to be said about the way the media presents mass shootings. The NRA doesn't have any business participating in that conversation.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Lmao count the things wrong with this picture

yes, that's the loving NRA spokeswoman

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
That's an impressive amount of airbrushing...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

can anyone honestly raise their hand when asked if theyre surprised.

Casimir Radon posted:

There is something to be said about the way the media presents mass shootings. The NRA doesn't have any business participating in that conversation.

is exactly right.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Casimir Radon posted:

Ratings and people who think both sides need to be presented. They've presented their case for years. It's all dog whistles and gun fire.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

She's a gigantic twat, and I the poo poo she puts out is ridiculous, and the way she went about saying it was dumb, but she's actually right. The media can't stay away from the story. And study after study, expert after expert comes along and says that repeatedly playing the scenes on TV, reading the manifestos, splashing the killer's face all over TV, with breathless reporting endlessly for weeks, all results in copycat mass killings.

Go to 69:50 in this episode of Pod Save America and Jon Lovett talks with a guest about why copycats are a thing, and how ratings plays a huge role in why these things get covered the way they do.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2yZ58uYR8Sn5GGwfaQAbex?si=BqO74cs1TE2J1gokee7tbw

Psychologist after psychologist has said to stop basically promoting these fucks after they commit these crimes. It plants seeds in the minds of other hosed up individuals. Those seeds grow, sometimes over the course of months or years. That's why waiting periods are laughable. Most of these people have planned way in advance. A waiting period isn't going to deter someone determined to commit a mass murder.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Smiling Jack posted:

This POS has also openly told NRA members to prepare to fight and kill their liberal neighbors. She's a piece of work....

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

This POS has also openly told NRA members to prepare to fight and kill their liberal neighbors. She's a piece of work....
She's gonna have a hard time if she can't even load her gun right

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://twitter.com/tamarakeithNPR/status/966674891368955904

also lol at trumps desire for gun control

can we mention that in this thread or do I need to go to gun chat.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Think I might need to Irish up my coffee after that because oof that hurts

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

What the gently caress?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

What the gently caress?

Just watch some NRA ads from the past few years, they're off the rails batshit crazy. The NRA is its own worst enemy in regards to maintaining shooting/gun collecting as a hobby as they've marginalized it mostly to the domain of far right extremists.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

DoktorLoken posted:

Just watch some NRA ads from the past few years, they're off the rails batshit crazy. The NRA is its own worst enemy in regards to maintaining shooting/gun collecting as a hobby as they've marginalized it mostly to the domain of far right extremists.

I get that but I'm interested in what CommieGIR said specifically. That's loving evil poo poo right there.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

DoktorLoken posted:

Thank you Ted Nugent

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

BigDave posted:

Thank you Ted Nugent

Charlton Heston said "FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS" years before Ted Nugent went extra deep and Clint Eastwood talked to a chair.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

I assume theres a TFR post with bullet points for everything wrong with the gun?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

hobbesmaster posted:

I assume theres a TFR post with bullet points for everything wrong with the gun?

look at the magazine

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The town hall was an obvious ratings grab but saying the media is bad because they can’t stay away from a story about 17 teenagers getting killed at a rate higher than one death per minute is kind of lame.

The fact that these mass shootings are the only type of gun violence they give regular coverage to is a bigger problem imo.

People die needlessly from guns every day. It needs to be covered obsessively outside of these large scale massacres, instead of shoving it all aside in a week.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I get that but I'm interested in what CommieGIR said specifically. That's loving evil poo poo right there.

It's sometimes hard to walk those takes back to their original kernel of fact, but I think it's this:

Loesch posted:

They use their media to assassinate real news. They use their schools to teach children that their president is another Hitler. They use their movie stars and singers and comedy shows and award shows to repeat their narrative over and over again. And then they use their ex-president to endorse “the resistance.”

All to make them march. Make them protest. Make them scream racism and sexism and xenophobia and homophobia. To smash windows, burn cars, shut down interstates and airports, bully and terrorize the law-abiding — until the only option left is for the police to do their jobs and stop the madness.

And when that happens, they’ll use it as an excuse for their outrage. The only way we stop this, the only way we save our country and our freedom, is to fight this violence of lies with the clenched fist of truth.

I’m the National Rifle Association of America. And I’m freedom’s safest place.
It's not like this crap needs to be additionally tarted up, anyway.

• Locked thread