Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

That's not the only major change. The individual storage and materials traders are pretty huge deals.

Now you don't have to throw poo poo away due to limited space, so you'll have an easier time accumulating materials through normal play and trading up (or down) for what you need. Also in the old system every reroll you did would use rare materials, in the new system only the last few rolls will.

It's miles better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Also being able to buy secondary/experimental effects separately from upgrade rolls and without the dumb favor system that required you to re-rank up.

Having to upgrade each module from G1 might seem lovely at face value, but in reality the system is going to be leagues easier to deal with now.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Knifegrab posted:

So is this new patch supposed to be cool and good or is it more grognard bullshit?

It’s going to be good but you’ll find something to hate about it, have a hilarious freak out and get probated (again).

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It’s going to be good but you’ll find something to hate about it, have a hilarious freak out and get probated (again).

:nallears:

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

tooterfish posted:

That's not the only major change. The individual storage and materials traders are pretty huge deals.

Now you don't have to throw poo poo away due to limited space, so you'll have an easier time accumulating materials through normal play and trading up (or down) for what you need. Also in the old system every reroll you did would use rare materials, in the new system only the last few rolls will.

It's miles better.

Agreed. New system is better, and peak G5 in 3.0 is better than a god-roll in the old system.

Only thing I don't like about it is the 6 to 1 conversion rate for the same rarity of material. It should be more like 3 to 1.

In the long run, the only thing I don't see myself upgrading to the new system is shield boosters (because I have so many of them)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Is the upcoming patch the one that updates planetary surfaces? Because I'm way more interested in that than the engineering changes, I gotta say

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So the long and short, for everyone, it's going to be a bit more grindy to get an individual module up to Level 5, but you're allowed to pin one blueprint per engineer and you can use it remotely at any station with outfitting, not to mention you can now trade materials for other ones, which saves a lot of hassel.

So in terms of the grind, a lot of it is taken out per se but replaced with others.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Bohemian Nights posted:

Is the upcoming patch the one that updates planetary surfaces? Because I'm way more interested in that than the engineering changes, I gotta say

Yes, the visual update was in the beta.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

iospace posted:

So the long and short, for everyone, it's going to be a bit more grindy to get an individual module up to Level 5
I don't think so.

You'll have to click a few more times in the engineer window, but as far as materials are concerned you'll spend less time looking for the ones you need.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I don't think I have the mats for level 4 FSD range engineering. Though that's moot at this point given that I'll start at max level 4 anyway on the DBX.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

Can't poo poo up the EFT thread anymore so ya came back to the E:D thread...how suprising.

The answer to your question could have been easily answered if you took the time and read the thread and decide for yourself, everyone has been talking about the new features here since the beta...

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

This thread still better than the Destiny 2 thread

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

NJersey posted:

Can't poo poo up the EFT thread anymore so ya came back to the E:D thread...how suprising.

The answer to your question could have been easily answered if you took the time and read the thread and decide for yourself, everyone has been talking about the new features here since the beta...

Oh god no, I asked a question! :qq: Do you scream at your computer when you see a repost on reddit? You fragile thing you.

VVV :nallears:

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 22, 2018

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Here it comes. :allears:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I think the changes sounds cool and good. Have a blessed day everyone.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
still less drama than star citizen

(and more game)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
i think elite is pretty fun, but star citizen is A LOT more fun to read/post about

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Please stop fighting you guys, I mostly play in Mobius PVE so I'm not used to conflict! :sweatdrop:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

To derail, can someone explain board flipping to a new player? Do I just go to a station and then go back and forth between open play and solo play to accept a pile of missions? Do the missions I accept in solo play still carry over to open, or do I need to only accept in open?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Missions carry over between modes and yep you've got the basic idea already. The reason for it is because the game naturally resets missions every ~10 minutes while board flipping forces it to refresh (usually).

Also suggested to join something like MobiusPvE for a third option to flip through and for a good place to go during CG events and such where you still have people about but not every single loving landing pad full constantly.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

New E:D player here. How 'MMO' is E:D in open play compared to say Eve? If I take a mission at spaceport X does that mission disappear from another player's screen or do we each have our own list? If I sell a poo poo ton of unobtanium does that affect the price that someone else gets for unobtanium?

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Each person has their own randomly generated mission list.

Trading does effect the supply / demand of commodities. Normally a single commander’s effect is a very small drop in a big bucket, but big Community Goals can drain the supplies in systems within a hundred light years.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
It is completely not MMO at all. The only effect another single player can really have on you is shooting you, and given that there is a small limit to the number of people in an "instance" (an out of warp-speed area, or a system's warp-speed area) and the galaxy is really huge ya'll. There is little chance another player will ever have a direct effect on the game. The missions are your missions alone. The market is only minorly affected (a few %) by even the largest possible trades by a single person.

The only influence players really have on the game is through whatever magic the Diamond Frogs logistics teams conjure. Through directed efforts of mission running, datadumps, NPC killing, and apathy, they can slowly change their influence and expand to new systems or retreat from crap ones. All of this math is beyond me so I just dump my crap where they say to and revel in the glory.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Thanks! Is there a good intro to E:D post somewhere? Looking for a general overview of what is in the game and an idea of how those things interact as a jumping off point to Google for X.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

CapnBry posted:

It is completely not MMO at all. The only effect another single player can really have on you is shooting you, and given that there is a small limit to the number of people in an "instance" (an out of warp-speed area, or a system's warp-speed area) and the galaxy is really huge ya'll. There is little chance another player will ever have a direct effect on the game. The missions are your missions alone. The market is only minorly affected (a few %) by even the largest possible trades by a single person.

The only influence players really have on the game is through whatever magic the Diamond Frogs logistics teams conjure. Through directed efforts of mission running, datadumps, NPC killing, and apathy, they can slowly change their influence and expand to new systems or retreat from crap ones. All of this math is beyond me so I just dump my crap where they say to and revel in the glory.

The Frogs have been running experiments and dissecting the background sim since release. I think it's safe to say we're better at it than any other player group. I could be wrong but I doubt it. Our turbonerds know exactly what to do and they've organized things really nicely with the Discord and all, the results speak for themselves.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
12 hours left and not even close to Tier 7 on Bulwark Project. Hope it wasn't important an important CG.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

The bounty one sucked this time.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Tonight I learned that being interdicted by a Cobra MK3 or 4 means I should comply in a sidewinder and that if I die, the blackbox mission doesn't say failed but it is since the mark does not respawn.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Yeah the engineering grind is lame. Humans die too fast for this poo poo to be important

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008

Knifegrab posted:

Oh god no, I asked a question! :qq: Do you scream at your computer when you see a repost on reddit? You fragile thing you.

VVV :nallears:

Oh come on, you posted this after the Beyond patch notes were released then you disappeared from the thread for a while:

Knifegrab posted:

I read the patch notes related to the new crime and punishment systems but I still really don't get what is different, how it works, or why its significant.

Coincidentally, you were posting in the EFT thread a bunch during that time then return to this thread after getting kicked out of the EFT thread for being a poo poo poster there too. You even reply with the same lame sarcastic attempts at rolling with the punches when people here call you out on your bullshit we see coming from a mile away.

These are pretty much the only two Games threads I read so seeing you bounce from one to the other and back again with your poo poo posting and people telling you to gently caress off is pretty funny and telling about you as a poster...

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Why does eve fitting tool have a thread?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

How do you get kicked out of an electronic funds transfer thread

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what the heck is mobiuspve

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Cowcaster posted:

I have the mental image of a gameplay loop that looks like an ouroboros. :smith:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

It’s a PVE “server”

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Mimesweeper posted:

The Frogs have been running experiments and dissecting the background sim since release. I think it's safe to say we're better at it than any other player group. I could be wrong but I doubt it. Our turbonerds know exactly what to do and they've organized things really nicely with the Discord and all, the results speak for themselves.
Exactly. It answers the question "What do I do?" because let's face it Ellen: Degeneres can feel pretty samey doing a mission for HIPS 2703 Republic in Carinae Hrg 47 versus doing a mission for Republic of HIPS 3715 in Corinae Gli 152. Seeing a purpose for doing missions for certain factions, or dropping off exploration data in certain stations, or shooting spacemen aligned with certain parties makes it more fun in a way that the in-game superfactions never really did for me. I think because that required you to constantly maintain your relationship to be a part of it-- requiring me to show up for spacework every week.

The Diamond Frogs still are my friends if I dumped 100M spacebux in exploration data this week, or didn't. I'm still that weird guy who keeps dropping hundreds of tons of Imperial Slaves on Trappist-1 1a trying to start a colony and never quite getting it to take off.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It’s a PVE “server”

what do the quotes around server entail

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

what do the quotes around server entail

It's a private group that you join like any other so it isn't an actual server in a traditional MMO sense.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

so it's kind of just like a clan you join and then they manipulate it so you all spawn in the same instance or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Private groups are groups you join, and can select in place of open or solo play. Matchmaking will only throw you into instances with players in that group. Kinda like a clan, but the group name is the name of the player that started it, and I think only they can invite people to it? It's kinda clunky, but it works in a pinch I guess.

• Locked thread