Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

Unless there's some 11th dimensional chess scheme I am not seeing, my BWM experience for the day is ...

... CC fraudster gets a hold of my CC information, orders a laptop, uses my home address for the delivery, uses my email address for the confirmation email. At least they signed me up for every spam email in the galaxy to try to hide the confirmation email, but I knew that strange things were afoot when I decided to delete 500 emails without wanting to look at their subject lines.

Change all your passwords and all your credit/debit card numbers. Also stay home the day that laptop is supposed to come and pick it up. There's a chance it'll still ship even when you file the fraud claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

Change all your passwords and all your credit/debit card numbers. Also stay home the day that laptop is supposed to come and pick it up. There's a chance it'll still ship even when you file the fraud claim.

Passwords have been changed. I called HSN after cancelling my CC, and they happily cancelled the order.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Using your dead mother's Facebook page to hawk MLM crap is Bad With Money and Bad With Morals

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Reddit posted:

People say don't out all your eggs in one basket but I believed in the project so much that I did. I put everything I had in crypto investment (50% of my life savings) into nano near ATH. As the price started dropping, I put in the remaining 50% of my life savings to dollar cost average because I genuinely believed that with the rebranding, binance announcement, I would see a profit but the price kept dropping.

I was an idiot to buy using bitgrail instead of kucoin and now I have officially lost everything due to the alleged hack. I wish I could have withdrawn to my wallet but withdrawals were disabled.

I was also an idiot to put in more than I could lose. Money I had saved up by working so hard. I lost $120,000.

I believe in the project and idk how I am going to live with myself watching the price of nano soar over the months without me not having anything to invest in it.

Please don't do what I did. Please be cautious with your investments, diversify, and don't invest more than you are willing to lose. I know we all think that won't happen but you can...like I did...your money, your happiness and most importantly, your mental health.

This is so depressing. I feel so defeated in life. This was money that was going to go to my further education, my wedding, honeymoon, any travel plans, my downpayment. This puts me back at least 7-8 years in my life.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/7z8pks/financially_ruined_learn_from_my_mistakes/

So I'm not quite sure what he's saying (bitcoinspeak), but he lost his entire life savings. And his big regret? He has nothing left to invest in crypto.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Did that Dumb Money-Grubbin' Bitch Golddiggin' Whore say if the wedding was totally nonrefundable? I just can't believe the husband went along with a $190k wedding if he wasn't totally on board with it.
a) Holy gently caress, I missed that it was 190k, oh my god.
b) NO MORE WEDDING DERAIL! BACK TO HORSES! :zaurg:

Girlfriend bought a $600 horse ride. Vendor refusing to cancel and wants to charge another $120 on top of it. What are my options? posted:

]https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5ybmxz/girlfriend_bought_a_600_horse_ride_vendor]

We've been planning a vacation and my girlfriend slotted this in as one of the activities.

As soon as I found out how much it was, I wanted it reversed. When I found out that the vendor had a mandatory 20% tipping policy that they hadn't disclosed or charged yet, I DEFINITELY wanted it reversed.

It's on a Blue Cash Everyday Amex card. I was looking to charge it back as a cancellation, but wanted to check and see which option has the highest likelihood of success.
I feel like they should do the agreeing upon and planning of things BEFORE putting money down?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
"Mandatory 20% tipping policy" is an interesting way to phrase "you're actually going to pay 20% more than the list price, and we're not going to tell you about it until you've already given money to us. PS we are definitely not scammers."

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Devian666 posted:

Oh I agree. A good social occasion, and it's not like her husband was left out. For some it's an event for their local church too.

With respect to cost I usually stay away from the usual derail of wedding for $50 at the registrar bullshit. Thing is reading through the thread he cashed in $150k and I believe that paid 80% of the cost. It must have been one hell of a wedding for around $190k. I'd expect a parade and dancing elephants for that.

Do you have a source for the $190k figure? I can't actually find it in the OP's comments, was it edited into the OP before it got deleted or something?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Colin Mockery posted:

Do you have a source for the $190k figure? I can't actually find it in the OP's comments, was it edited into the OP before it got deleted or something?

I spent more time reading the thread than what I should have. In one of the replies there was discussion of him having $150k in investments that he sold off. Then she said that the amount covered 80% of the cost. I don't want to go through it again it was painful enough the first time.

I think there's a lot more to this that wasn't said, but we'll never know.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

quote:

Boss ghosting me after my auto-pay stops going through.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7z8426/boss_ghosting_me_after_my_autopay_stops_going/

I have been employed doing IT at a company for over 2 years now with the same salary stating 40 hours a week on call.

Most the work is done from home and my checks stopped going through about 4 weeks ago. I contacted our office and the office manager told me it was an issue with payroll.

I have tried to contact my boss about it many times from going to the office in person, calling, and texting him. The only reply is that he will call me back.

There has been no notice that I am not employed by them anymore and continue to be the primary contact for everything involved with the transfer of the website and all internet marketing, so I get constant phone calls and emails.

I am still putting in work and hoping it is all a misunderstanding, but are there any actions I can take to ensure that I will receive payment for the work I am still doing?
OOPS!

quote:

I just spent all day looking at my simple IRA statements and called the investment company to get help understanding my statement. The company I work for hasn't put in my contributions or its in over 4 years. Help...
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7zb0ah/i_just_spent_all_day_looking_at_my_simple_ira/

I just spent all day looking at my simple IRA statements trying to understand why my retirement hasn't been growing like it should and thinking that maybe I should reallocate funds or whatever it takes to get it back on track.

There isn't a set "contribution" column just "additions" and it's split up between all the different funds and is just really difficult to look at and to make heads or tails of. There's been additions to the plan over the years but they were changes from the different funds changing and rectifying its self so I had a hard time trying to find my personal contributions in the mess when it's broken up between so many funds in different percentiles. Even looking at my pay stubs and W2 forms which said I was contributing I still couldn't find how they were applying my funds.

I called customer support. We figure out that there hasn't been any contributions in years and that I need to contact my employer or the companies financial adviser that started and manages the plan and can't help me any further. They gave me the number to the adviser and when I called they said he wouldn't be in until next week and to leave a message. I left a message for him to contact me when he got back.

I know my next step is to contact my employer. I work for a small company and know the owner well and I'm positive he will want to fix this but how does someone even begin to know how to fix this? Am I out the interest I would have made on the missing principle or is there a way to figure that out? Should I seek legal advice? Should I say anything to the rest of the employees?

Should I be worried about protecting my interests or will there be someone set in place (once I figure out who that is) who will guide me through this? It seems I have a lot of questions and feel vulnerable and mad and hope I'm not being taken advantage.
That's going to end well.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 22, 2018

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Bob: I looked into it more deeply and I found that apparently what happened is that he was laid off five years ago and no one ever told him about it; but through some kind of glitch in the payroll department, he still gets a paycheck.

Bob: So we just went ahead and fixed the glitch.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Devian666 posted:

I spent more time reading the thread than what I should have. In one of the replies there was discussion of him having $150k in investments that he sold off. Then she said that the amount covered 80% of the cost. I don't want to go through it again it was painful enough the first time.

I think there's a lot more to this that wasn't said, but we'll never know.

Isn't it weird when stories like this just grab you way more than they should?

Back in the blue story era, I got sucked into that to a probably unhealthy degree

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Yeah I don't know what it is. That one seems like everything else is fine in their relationship except one day has created more of an issue than what it should have.

Blue Story seemed like there could be room for progress but once we found out the complete picture it was obviously not recoverable without them getting serious and direct help. Maybe the hoarding was the bit that interested me in that case.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Youth Decay posted:

Using your dead mother's Facebook page to hawk MLM crap is Bad With Money and Bad With Morals

oh my gawwwwwd

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

mom died so what

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Weatherman posted:

Isn't that what the local council is for?

The neighbourhood I grew up in had parks and bike trails and a couple of athletics areas. That was maintained by the city council and paid for through council rates (city-level taxes assessed mainly on house+land value).

HOAs are usually more restrictive (in terms of what a house must look like or what upkeep must be done) than the rest of the city they are in.

Also, suburban neighborhoods in the US are often built outside the city limits, in what is technically an “unincorporated” part of a county (not a city). Depending on the state, a county government will usually handle stuff like law enforcement with a sheriff, but not handle any utilities or parks or anything city-like. If you want to take a farm and turn it into a neighborhood, there may be no local government below the county level to do things like mow the grass at a park or maintain a swimming pool. HOAs do that until the neighborhood is annexed by a nearby city, at that point the city may take over, or the HOA may continue to exist, depending on local laws and the structure of the HOA.

These things can vary greatly from state to state, and HOA is a very general term that can mean different things in different states. For example, Texas also has MUDs, Municipal Utility Districts, which are like HOAs in that they can own a park and like a city in that they can own a power line but it is not a proper city, it is like a mini-city that performs basic functions for a small neighborhood. MUDs are designed to be annexed by cities. There are all sorts of weird local entities, public and private, that are really just ways of handling common resources. HOAs are just one kind of entity on the private end of that spectrum.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Do you know what Facebook would charge for those targeted impressions??!?!?!?!

Probably like $10 or something.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

It is possible to criticize a woman without being a misogynist. Or maybe it isn't, what do I know.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Did they mention what their income is like? Dude accumulated $100k in 5 years which isn't very impressive in a raging bull market.

Even in the current market you'd have to save 5 figures a year to end up with that much. Far from chump change.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Virtue posted:

It is possible to criticize a woman without being a misogynist. Or maybe it isn't, what do I know.

Even in the current market you'd have to save 5 figures a year to end up with that much. Far from chump change.

Oops, I phrased that poorly. I was trying to say they're clearly not big enough ballers to have a 190k wedding if they're only able to save 100k in a 5 year span.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Oops, I phrased that poorly. I was trying to say they're clearly not big enough ballers to have a 190k wedding if they're only able to save 100k in a 5 year span.

I thought standard rule of thumb was engagement ring should be two month's salary and wedding should be 10 year's savings? Seems reasonable.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

jjack229 posted:

I thought standard rule of thumb was engagement ring should be two month's salary and wedding should be 10 year's savings? Seems reasonable.

Well I am unemployed and have saved $3 in the last ten years so makes sense.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

Well I am unemployed and have saved $3 in the last ten years so makes sense.

Get married at a $50 justice of the peace so we can berate you for spending 1500% of your savings on a wedding please.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Turn left thread noooooooo

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
One way to get around wedding humble brag rules is to say what your wedding cost in equivalent terms. Like you could say your wedding cost a house, but you don't specify what century that house was built in or whether or not it had wheels.

Moneyball posted:

Turn left thread noooooooo

The average wedding costs 1,600 SomethingAwful registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Krispy Wafer posted:

One way to get around wedding humble brag rules is to say what your wedding cost in equivalent terms. Like you could say your wedding cost a house, but you don't specify what century that house was built in or whether or not it had wheels.

The average wedding costs 1,600 SomethingAwful registrations.

What is that in shitposts?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

therobit posted:

What is that in shitposts?

My post count *1600.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

I TAKE PHOTOS OF OTHER PEOPLE'S CHILDREN IN PLANET FITNESS
My Insurance has reached an insane premium of $400/month From Ontario Canada. What can I do?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7zez0u/my_insurance_has_reached_an_insane_premium_of/

quote:

My insurance for my vehicle has reached an incredibly high unaffordable rate at $400.month. Due to some accidents with my vehicle in a series of unfortunate events...

Is there anything I can do to lower this?

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

Living in my car - which I crashed. Have to get a new one by Friday so I can stop paying for this rental at $30 a day

quote:

Long story short I worked my way up from being homeless to being able to purchase a car - which I crashed. I’m currently sleeping in the rental car but it’s $30 a day to use and while I can afford it — I certainly don’t want to pay for it.

I’m lookig to get a new car this Friday from a dealership. The reason I’ve been so late to do so is because I know nothing about car loans. I have to work 12 hour days often to survive, 7 days a week and I’d rather not deal wth all the intricacies that come with purchasing a car off of Craigslist. Second: I don’t have a home. If the car I private purchase fucks up, I’m not just out of a car — I’m out of a home.

My only fear is that I’m going to lock myself into a loan that fucks me over in the future because I’m desperate right now. For a first time car buyer with bad credit they’re charging me a 12.5% APR which seems steep.

My current plan is that I can purchase the car and continue sleeping in it as I work myself ahead a few months to have a good safety cushion. I’ll obtain a secured credit card, make all my payments on time and within a year I can refinance at a better rate.

My current income is about $24,000 gross yearly. My workplace offers overtime but I’m not sure how long that will last. I’m regularly doing overtime so if I had to calculate from where I’m at right now, I’d say I would be making $36,000 a year gross.

Does this sound like a good plan? Is there anything I’m missing? Thanks for reading if you’ve gotten this far!

Tax advice on a failed small business

quote:

Last year I started an event based business and it never really got off the ground. I did make some income though so I realize I need to include it on my taxes. However, I was pretty foolish and didn't keep track of a lot of my expenses. After three events that I did I broke even and called it quits.

How should I go about filing? Is it worth it to hire a local CPA to help with this? Considering I didn't even make any profit, I don't want to get penalized or audited.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Weatherman posted:

Isn't that what the local council is for?

The neighbourhood I grew up in had parks and bike trails and a couple of athletics areas. That was maintained by the city council and paid for through council rates (city-level taxes assessed mainly on house+land value).

In general, the city/county taxpayers have little interest in paying for the private ponds and green spaces and median maintenance for privately developed subdivisions that we typically think of with HOAs characterized by zero mixed-use zoning and typically little thoroughfare function between major roads. They are an inescapable evil anywhere that isn't centrally planned by the local government or single parcel low density residential with no shared common areas. The alternative is to formally incorporate small units of government like townships but people have generally the same complaints about homeowners associations and city governments.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 22, 2018

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Hmm... My HOA community has a swimming pool. If some idiot kid dies in it, could I get hit with a huge special assessment?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Youth Decay posted:

:stare: This is absolutely insane

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

They are an inescapable evil anywhere that isn't centrally planned by the local government or single parcel low density residential with no shared common areas.
And they literally are inescapable - it's almost impossible to remove a home from an HOA. As in, 'so hard that sometimes the only way to do it is dismantling the entire HOA.'

That's part of why people should think a while before buying into an HOA if they have other options available. Even if the HOA is fine now, all it takes is a critical mass of assholes or cheapskates(a lot of large assessments are caused because the HOA was skimping on insurance/maintenance/etc) joining the board to ruin everything. And you have basically zero recourse other than moving.

Like so:

HOA in Danger of Receivership

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/4wgfjf/hoa_in_danger_of_receivership/ posted:

Let me try to give a brief rundown of my situation. I currently own/live in a condo in a 122 unit complex in California. The HOA has been mismanaged for years and we are now actively seeking to replace the board. The HOA only has around $18,000 in operating cash left. We are on the brink of receivership because there have been water pipe ruptures in several of the units that had to be dealt with. The pipes are old and need to be replaced ASAP due to the rupture issues we have been having but now we don't have the money to do so immediately.

I spoke with the HOA's property management company and was actually shown that the vast majority of the units were actually delinquent on HOA dues as well. In total owing the HOA $157,000. We are actively trying to foreclose on 13 units currently because of that issue. For reference the HOA payment is currently at $380 per month. I know some people have fallen behind in their payment and get stuck in an endless cycle due to late fees.

There is also a lot of mistrust between the owners and the property management company. I looked over all the financial statements and asked where previous special assessments have gone. All of it checks out. But due to this mistrust a good chunk of owners have decided not to pay the most recent assessment and HOA due.

There is also an ongoing court case where an old HOA member is suing which I do not know all the details of.

So a few of the questions I have:

1. What financial options are available to help those owners who have fallen behind to help get their payments back on track?

2. Any financial advice in general regarding my situation or what I should do personally?

*Thanks for all the great responses. I have a lot to discuss and think about with my fellow owners. Hopefully we can reign this in and restore our HOA.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Hmm... My HOA community has a swimming pool. If some idiot kid dies in it, could I get hit with a huge special assessment?

If their insurance isn't in order, possibly.

Jake Mustache
Feb 7, 2017
This guy popped up in a few of my reddits. The only BWM part occurs in the first line but it is a lifechanger.

quote:

This happened because I thought it would be smart to sleep in my car and save money by not getting a motel.

My boss was coming back from being out of town the next day, at which point we were going to go to Wisconsin and work there for a few weeks where we had lodging set up.

My shoes were wet from walking around in the fresh snow a bit, so I took them off. I had the heat on and figured my socks would dry out pretty quickly.

Some time while I was asleep I ran out of gas. I figured I could just tough it out and figure something out in the morning.

My feet hurt really bad for a while. Then they just stopped hurting, altogether. I went back to sleep.

A few hours later, I tried to put my shoes back on, and found that my feet were frozen solid. My hands were very painful now, and were beginning to lose most of their mobility and sensation to touch.

I contacted an ambulance and went to the hospital.

Once the feet began to thaw, all of the pain came back. It has been the most painful thing I have ever experienced.

Doctors had hoped some of the flesh in my feet would be receive adequate circulation and some of the foot could be saved. This has not been the case, and both will be removed mid-shin on the morning of Friday. January 26th.

I'm looking forward to cutting these drat things off, as massive nerve damage is a lovely thing to be stuck with. I am also excited to start working with prosthetics.

Once I get comfortable with prosthetics there will be very little I won't be able to do that I could have done with real legs.

I was a pretty lazy, unhappy and unmotivated person before all of this happened. I am looking at this as a second chance. Every day I will appreciate that with a bit of work, I can go out and be active and do things that make me happy.

So, please do not feel sorry for me. Soon I will be running and jumping and possibly skipping again. Unless skipping requires a specialized type of prosthetic. I ain't payin' for some fancy prosthetic just to go skip around.

https://i.imgur.com/JdDUld6l.jpg <---Amputee pic...Not gross but whatever.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

That guy and the one above about the guy sleeping in a rental car because he has barely worked his way up from homelessness are just tragic, not hilariously BWM

quote:

I was going through a bit of a depression, mentally, and I guess that may have influenced how important I saw self preservation as being.

:smith:

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

21 year old engaged couple with overpriced car payment

quote:

Hi everyone, this is my first post here so I’m not sure what information is needed to help. But I’ll try my best.

For the record I’ll go ahead and say I’m quite young and so is my fiancé. We’re both 21 years old. We live in Kentucky on our own, we have our own place and rent is $895 a month/w utilities (+$80 Internet charge). One year ago my fiancé was in the market for a used vehicle and went with her grandmother to pick one out and to officially get her first car on her own. I did not go with her as I had to work. Well she went to a Nissan Dealership and like all car salesman do, she got convinced to just get a new vehicle. She got a 2016 Nissan Sentra and she’s been basically screwed ever since. Her car payment is $441 a month. Up until we moved into a place on our own in September, the payment wasn’t too bad. But since we moved in, it’s getting harder and harder. She only makes $10 an hour and me $11.50. She pays more than her half of the rent on that car a month. We’re also trying to start medical school soon, and with rent, this payment and now school loans. She doesn’t think she can pull her own weight without extensive help from me, and I’m pretty strapped as it is as well. Her grandmother co-signed for her, but her Grandmothers credit is basically maxed as she pays for her drug addicted moms bills, drug addicted uncles bills and their other kids needs. Her other grandmother is the same way with her father. So they both can’t help in anyway. My parents have enough money to pay for what they have and live nicely, but they can’t afford anymore either. We don’t know what to do to get this outrageous car payment out of our lives. Our best idea we came up with was to sell the car to a dealership for a little over half of what it’s worth and just get a cheaper vehicle and add what we have left onto the used car and just pay it off over a longer period but for a cheaper cost. We’re just stuck and we don’t have an financial knowledge to help us. So if anyone has any advice about what to do. I would be forever in your debt.

Edit: She’s paying over 72 months, the car is only valued at like 13k now and we have had it appraised at 10.5k-11k and she still owes $18k on it.

Good Parmesan
Nov 30, 2007

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7bgxul/usa_i_think_credit_cards_are_nothing_but_scams/

"[USA posted:

I think credit cards are nothing but scams, but our hosed up system requires "credit" for everything"]
I am someone who has always believed in never taking out loans unless absolutely necessary. While I am a man of questionable morals in some places (such as involving taxes), I have always held firm that if I ever had to borrow money from somebody, that money WILL be paid back somehow.

Credit cards are a problem for me because it typically implies borrowing money every month, money that I don't need to borrow, and then paying it off. It's stupid because even if you don't fall into one of the many traps outlined "in the fine print within the fine print," you're still unnecessarily borrowing money and paying it back when you could have just paid for poo poo outright.

The next issue is credit. Maybe I was told wrong about this, but as I am aware, you cannot buy expensive things such as a car or house without credit even if you have 100% of the money available to pay for said item.

My question is, is there a way to avoid having to fall for the bullshit known as the credit system? That is, is there a way to purchase a car and house (assuming I can pay it in full on the spot) that doesn't require me to have a credit card.

EDIT: I am relieved that I can pursue my original intentions of avoiding credit cards (scams). I am glad that people had previously told me wrong information about "the importance of credit".

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/53ehgz/girlfriend_of_5_years_asked_if_i_would_sign_on_as/
Girlfriend of 5 years asked if I would sign on as co-owner of an LLC she is creating for her candle business. How would this affect me in terms of taxes and legality issues?

quote:

She's willing to go it alone, but would feel more comfortable if I sign on with her since she's never done it before. Basically, what can I expect to happen if I do this?

Good Parmesan fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 22, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Oh god, please tell me that candle business is that candle MLM.

“Spend less on candles you’ll never sell.”

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Enfys posted:

That guy and the one above about the guy sleeping in a rental car because he has barely worked his way up from homelessness are just tragic, not hilariously BWM

:smith:

In one of his threads, the amputee guy starts arguing that keeping wet socks on your feet dries them out faster as long as you are warm and active as opposed to letting them air dry. People have to keep telling him to shut up so that he doesn't recommend giving some other person trench-foot as well. Depression sucks, but I think he's also a moron.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Good Parmesan posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/7bgxul/usa_i_think_credit_cards_are_nothing_but_scams/

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/53ehgz/girlfriend_of_5_years_asked_if_i_would_sign_on_as/
Girlfriend of 5 years asked if I would sign on as co-owner of an LLC she is creating for her candle business. How would this affect me in terms of taxes and legality issues?

Jesus why does the credit card guy talk like that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Posting on Reddit that you aren’t entirely honest with your taxes is BWM.

Rule #1 of breaking the law: Don’t say poo poo.