Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
is that a dlc pack thing or a whole standalone game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

It's going to be a standalone there's no way they patch weather and time of day changes into the current engine

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

AC is the chillest track day game and the people that do this type if racing make up a fraction of the active players online at any given time so it'll be interesting to see how long this lasts

games like gran turismo and iracing are incredibly popular, idk how they expect to compete since at first glance the first thing this reminds me of is Dirt4

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The market sure was hurting for GT3 though...lol

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Not sure I would want to drive Spa in the wet at night.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I do really want a Blancpain game. I want literally anyone other than Kunos to be making it but I am happy they're going to Unreal 4 rather than trying to hack a bunch of new features into the AC engine. Now I'm super curious what series is going to be tagged onto GTR3.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
gonna put on the VR helmet now that my cockpit is kind of finished. Whats the private assetto server ? I can't find the thread.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Finished another Audi TT Cup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAaU36RBcto

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Largepotato posted:

Not sure I would want to drive Spa in the wet at night.

old spa in the wet at night was a thing until 1978

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
One of my first online races in P Cars 2 was at Spa and it was 10 laps or so, GT3 (huurrrr).
Going in I didn't even think about weather etc but the race started in sunshine then on lap 3 it went overcast and began to rain so everyone had to pit and change tyres.
By the end of the race it was pouring down and dark so headlights on, wipers on.
I have to say it was one of the most impressive things I have ever seen, I was in VR and the whole thing blew me away, it was so so good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Is the new assetto Corsa coming with an iracing/GTSport style online component? I’m not super interested if it doesn’t.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is the new assetto Corsa coming with an iracing/GTSport style online component? I’m not super interested if it doesn’t.

My guess is yes since they have an official series attached to the license now.

I should probably start getting good at lmp1 in AC

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Any Fanatec PWB beta testers here that don't give a poo poo about the NDA?

tuo fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Feb 22, 2018

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Do they send invites or how does that work?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

GhostDog posted:

Do they send invites or how does that work?

I guess so, though I know nothing

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Kilonum posted:

old spa in the wet at night was a thing until 1978

That's clearly when the local residents finally got sick of cars crashing through their houses.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Would an Intel i3 NUC with 4gb ram be up to the task of running as a assetto corsa server ? I can do 15mbit/sec uploads and it's wired into a gigabit network locally. It would be a private SA server.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Hello fellow goons, I've been working on my first attempt at a simulator rig and I finally got all the important parts bolted down. Feels pretty good, but I haven't played any games on it yet as my PC, which I still need to use, is on a different floor.

Since someone will ask, the "slat" mounts are because I wanted my 6 year old son to be able to play too, as well as anyone who came over who is taller. The seat is on a sliding rail, but it didn't adjust nearly enough for me to a 6 year old, let alone someone taller than 5'7". It's a pretty good solution, though the front of the seat does push up if I'm letting it push my shoulders back into the seat instead of my lower back. I'm going to attempt to drive some shims into the front mount and see if that helps. I don't want to screw anything down, the goal was to make it as quick as possible to be able to change positions.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I have the same setup! My only issue is that it sits pretty low, and probably way too low for them. I use a cushion right now to sit a bit higher, hopefully this summer I can actually raise it a bit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Where do you attach the reindeer?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Simul8r bros!

To me, it looks like those seat adjustment blocks are too far apart, but too much narrower and you will risk something coming apart from the force. Worst case, if you don't like the spacing you can always redo that bit fairly easily.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Harminoff posted:

I have the same setup! My only issue is that it sits pretty low, and probably way too low for them. I use a cushion right now to sit a bit higher, hopefully this summer I can actually raise it a bit.

Yea I'll probably just make him sit on a bunch of pillows. It was also low for me but the slats/blocking it's sitting on raises it about 3" or so from where it would have been just on top of the PVC, which feels much better.

The Science Goy posted:

Simul8r bros!

To me, it looks like those seat adjustment blocks are too far apart, but too much narrower and you will risk something coming apart from the force. Worst case, if you don't like the spacing you can always redo that bit fairly easily.

Nice setup! The seat has a normal slide adjuster on it which still works and gives ~10" of adjustibility. The blocks are for the large changes (6 year old to 6'+ tall person), the slider is for fine tuning.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Ah, didn't know the slider was functional there. Never mind then :v:

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

dreesemonkey posted:

Hello fellow goons, I've been working on my first attempt at a simulator rig and I finally got all the important parts bolted down. Feels pretty good, but I haven't played any games on it yet as my PC, which I still need to use, is on a different floor.

Since someone will ask, the "slat" mounts are because I wanted my 6 year old son to be able to play too, as well as anyone who came over who is taller. The seat is on a sliding rail, but it didn't adjust nearly enough for me to a 6 year old, let alone someone taller than 5'7". It's a pretty good solution, though the front of the seat does push up if I'm letting it push my shoulders back into the seat instead of my lower back. I'm going to attempt to drive some shims into the front mount and see if that helps. I don't want to screw anything down, the goal was to make it as quick as possible to be able to change positions.

The slats are a very interesting idea.

If you have a problem with the seat rocking back out of the slats maybe some simple latches, one part attached to the seat frame, and the corresponding part attached to the base at each position, lined up in such a way that you drop the seat frame into the slat, and flip the latch to secure it, but still make it easy to change the seating position.

Something like this with the pin part on the seat frame and a loop at each position on the base.

Or this:

Jay_Zombie fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 23, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, you gotta overengineer that poo poo. Hollow out the seat beam and get a mortise bolt installed in it, turn the knob and a metal bolt slides into a hole you bored out of the slats.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Jay_Zombie posted:

The slats are a very interesting idea.

If you have a problem with the seat rocking back out of the slats maybe some simple latches, one part attached to the seat frame, and the corresponding part attached to the base at each position, lined up in such a way that you drop the seat frame into the slat, and flip the latch to secure it, but still make it easy to change the seating position.

Or this:

This is a possibility. I'll see how my "hammer a shim in there" technique works and go from there.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I did the same thing last weekend. https://imgur.com/a/CvnMF

seat mount is temporary. I just kinda tossed it together without any plans or measuring. I ran out of long screws so I stopped. I'll use a router to round off all the corners and then I might use either box liner or plastidip to finish it. And possibly do a stitched leather wrap on the "dash".

The space in the front matches my core v21 case footprint. The walls are not dirty those are dirt under the lens of the camera phone.

Click the imgur link for the build steps

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

If you really hate money make a rig out of 8020.

I am using my g29 pedals cause I had modded the brake with a load cell. Debating if I should take them out of the housing to accommodate left foot braking more comfortable. Also planning on buying some skateboard grip tape and covering the pedal faces so my shoes doesn't slide as much.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
So, here's kind of an odd question:

Do you all wear shoes when you're sim driving?

Personally, I only sim drive in socks. Way back when I was younger, I did a little oval stock car and kart racing, and I always wore wrestling shoes (my feet were too big for actual driving shoes) and I guess I kinda got used to having really thin super flexible footwear. I feel like it really allows me to have a fine touch on the pedals.

Is that weird?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I race with socks on.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Socks only. Besides the increase in feel, I don’t want gunk from my shoes making its way into the pedal box and electronics.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I have a pair of these Skecher things that I wear around the house

Comfy as poo poo

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Socks only...can't drive with shoes that well(I don't own any racing shoes with thin profile), somehow lacks feedback/feels weird.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

get the socks with the little toe glove thingies on them so instead of heel toe you can bigtoe the brake and pinkie toe the gas

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I don't think my big toe is strong enough for that...

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I am a fan of Fanatec stuff, but installing the brake performance kit today made me swear a lot more than I liked to.

It was worth it, though.

Now I'll treat the wounds on my hands....

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I think shoes are a bit distracting, because stock/unmodified pedals don't give adequate resistance compared to a real car. The brake pedal specifically, since foam springs can't emulate the hydraulic stop of a real brake (except if your pedals have a loadcell in place).

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Socks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When you get into loadcell brakes, you can start wearing shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Even with loadcell, I prefer socks.