Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

xtal posted:

American Indian cultural appropriation: terrible
Actual Indian cultural appropriation: PR stunt

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

but woke bae socks justin can do no wrong he's our *~perfect indigo child~*

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Name me some reprehensible poo poo he's done.

Going back on electoral reform? Refusing environmental concessions without pipeline concessions?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Beat up an indigenous man with substance abuse problems.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

The Butcher posted:

One specifically chosen because his upbringing would make people think he was tough.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Oh noooo, our leader wore a cultural outfit and had an MP mistakenly invite some guy who had it rescinded right away. HE"S UNFIT UGHHHH.

Meanwhile, Trump doubles down on arming teachers and a good guy with a gun kills a bad guy with a gun.

Is this whataboutism? Maybe. It could be worse though and Trudeau is fine in the larger window.

Comparing our leaders to Trump is exactly what they loving want and they’re so glad he exists because it gives them cover, don’t stop holding them to account because the leader of the US sets a new low bar

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

TheKingofSprings posted:

Going back on electoral reform? Refusing environmental concessions without pipeline concessions?

Neither of these were bad. They were, in fact, Good.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PT6A posted:

Neither of these were bad. They were, in fact, Good.

Going back on electoral reform was 100% bad and the equivalent of taking their ball and going home because they didn’t like the overwhelming PR result.

The pipeline concessions were also very bad because Alberta needs to find another industry that isn’t inefficiently spewing toxic sludge while it slowly dies because the world is moving past it

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Going back on electoral reform was absolutely bad and stupid, and was done for selfish reasons.

Jamming through the pipeline was also bad and stupid, and Alberta can go gently caress themselves.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
I honestly don't understand how so many people in this thread who at least nominally pay attention to politics are not angrier at the status quo. Most of you guys love getting worked up into a lather over some dumb rural comment on facebook or stories of people taking out lines of credit they can't afford but there's such a casual indifference to the daily grind of poverty and misery that a lot of people face.

The mere fact that an elected federal politician isn't constantly campaigning for policies that will help people struggling around the poverty line already makes them poo poo. By any coherent moral standard there are maybe a handful of parliamentarians in this entire country who are not either lovely people or at best people allowing themselves to be willfully blind to the constant human misery that surrounds them.

To be Prime Minister and to not be constantly talking about and advocating strategies for fixing poverty and deprivation in this country automatically makes you part of the problem. All the more so when you're a popular political figure with a huge political mandate that you've barely made any use of.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Butcher posted:

This was actually excellent sorry. Trudeau beat him so hard he had to stop being a Senator and start being a strip club bouncer. Couldn’t have happened to a better guy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I have to admire Albera's dogged determination to get the shittiest oil on the planet out of their soil and into the market, come hell, high water, or environmental catastrophe, no matter how little economic sense it makes.

Way to really quintuple down on being a one-note economy.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
How dare you speak ill towards dilbit

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Helsing posted:

I honestly don't understand how so many people in this thread who at least nominally pay attention to politics are not angrier at the status quo. Most of you guys love getting worked up into a lather over some dumb rural comment on facebook or stories of people taking out lines of credit they can't afford but there's such a casual indifference to the daily grind of poverty and misery that a lot of people face.

The mere fact that an elected federal politician isn't constantly campaigning for policies that will help people struggling around the poverty line already makes them poo poo. By any coherent moral standard there are maybe a handful of parliamentarians in this entire country who are not either lovely people or at best people allowing themselves to be willfully blind to the constant human misery that surrounds them.

To be Prime Minister and to not be constantly talking about and advocating strategies for fixing poverty and deprivation in this country automatically makes you part of the problem. All the more so when you're a popular political figure with a huge political mandate that you've barely made any use of.

fwiw I'm constantly infuriated by all this but I'm not a middle class computer toucher like many of the people posting in this thread

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Helsing posted:

The status quo sucks but you can't always be mad and focused on other people's problems. People don't work that way.

(even if other people's problems are inevitably linked to your own problems)

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Whatever happened to that disability and work bill? The media coverage a couple weeks ago made it sound Too Good.
I haven't worked since I've been on disability, but that whole thing sounds suckass.

OTOH, I don't trust the Conservatives on principle and there's a bit of slippery slope towards "these people are productive members society, see. They don't need any help at all."

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

The status quo sucks but you can't always be mad and focused on other people's problems. People don't work that way.

(even if other people's problems are inevitably linked to your own problems)

I'd accept this more readily if this entire thread - and a great deal of politics generally - wasn't a gushing fountain of resentment most of the time. People do walk around constantly mad about things that don't particularly concern them. It's just that quite a few people - especially in this thread - seem more upset at the idea somebody took on a debt they can't service than the idea that lovely managers all around the country are stealing people's wages or that businesses collude with the government behind closed doors to reduce incomes and increase costs for working people.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Helsing posted:

I'd accept this more readily if this entire thread - and a great deal of politics generally - wasn't a gushing fountain of resentment most of the time. People do walk around constantly mad about things that don't particularly concern them. It's just that quite a few people - especially in this thread - seem more upset at the idea somebody took on a debt they can't service than the idea that lovely managers all around the country are stealing people's wages or that businesses collude with the government behind closed doors to reduce incomes and increase costs for working people.

This thread is filled with people with mental health problems.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I love being pandered to

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Tighclops posted:

fwiw I'm constantly infuriated by all this but I'm not a middle class computer toucher like many of the people posting in this thread

With every key press, my empathy grows weaker.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

The Butcher posted:

:eyepop:

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

Uh, I'm one of the only people who's mad about the status quo due to my life in and around poverty and you've seen how mad people get when I post about how lovely and worthless our entire political establishment is.

People want to live in a comfortable world where everything is just and works out in the end, anyone who wants real change or wants people to take action to make things better just gets yelled at for having a lack of decorum or not being nice to whatever idiot is falling for the Liberal's scams at the moment.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

Uh, I'm one of the only people who's mad about the status quo due to my life in and around poverty and you've seen how mad people get when I post about how lovely and worthless our entire political establishment is.

People want to live in a comfortable world where everything is just and works out in the end, anyone who wants real change or wants people to take action to make things better just gets yelled at for having a lack of decorum or not being nice to whatever idiot is falling for the Liberal's scams at the moment.

Shut up, chairmaster.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Funny how the specific people who fawn the most over CI also tend to get the angriest at ChairMaster

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Helsing posted:

Funny how the specific people who fawn the most over CI also tend to get the angriest at ChairMaster

Oh please. CI is actually funny and posts good links, Charimaster is a worthless pissy malcontent. And I'm not angry at all, wtf

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
See what I mean? He's offended by the very idea that someone could be dissatisfied with our lovely country.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Helsing posted:

The mere fact that an elected federal politician isn't constantly campaigning for policies that will help people struggling around the poverty line already makes them poo poo.

Agree. Which politicians in this country do you think would actually buck this trend? I don't think the current NDP leadership will, if they get power.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

JawKnee posted:

Agree. Which politicians in this country do you think would actually buck this trend? I don't think the current NDP leadership will, if they get power.

Of course not, Sikh Trudeau doesn't give a poo poo about anything other than looking good, which is why he won't win anyways and it doesn't matter.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Name me some reprehensible poo poo he's done.

Wage theft on an historic scale.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/vancouvermetro/status/966771103766142977

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Helsing made a good point. I'm constantly raging at the lack of effort to (1) reduce income inequality, (2) move away from fossil fuel dependence, and (3) have wealthy Canadians and corporations pay their fair share of taxes.

Among friends, in my workplace, and in volunteering for political causes, I've been very vocal that proportional representation (yay for MMP) would pressure politicians to move on the above files.

Now for content, I'm pretty upset at Kirsty "geography is STEM you guys" Duncan for her bullshit cop out on scientists still being muzzled
https://twitter.com/KirstyDuncanMP/status/966745830609903616

For over two years I've been telling PIPSC bigwigs, including the President, that we scientists were still very much muzzled, but they wanted to call their endorsement of PMJT a victory instead.

Now Duncan says it's basically the scientists not changing their culture fast enough?
:argh:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Everything I am reading about this extremist is basically along the lines of him being uber powerful and getting to do whatever he wants.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

namaste friends posted:

Wtf is wrong with this rear end in a top hat's suit

hahaha holy poo poo

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Well gently caress

https://twitter.com/cbarghout/status/966813022902562816

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

I feel like they should've included former Liberal cabinet minister in the headline.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Evidence from my point of view seemed kind of flimsy. Looking at the CBC article

There wasn't any real physical evidence or cause of death that really tied to Cormier to killing Fontaine, and his statements could be interpreted differently to suggest he could have disposed of the body but not actually killed her.

We should probably see all the evidence, but at first glance I think the Crown had a shaky case, relying on eye witnesses placing them together and those recorded statements weren't an outright admission of guilt, just reasons why Fontaine could have been killed but not actually stating he did kill her. Seemed to be largely circumstantial, where reasonable doubt could have crept into the jurors process.

Or It's cause he's white who knows.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Chillyrabbit posted:

Evidence from my point of view seemed kind of flimsy. Looking at the CBC article

There wasn't any real physical evidence or cause of death that really tied to Cormier to killing Fontaine, and his statements could be interpreted differently to suggest he could have disposed of the body but not actually killed her.

We should probably see all the evidence, but at first glance I think the Crown had a shaky case, relying on eye witnesses placing them together and those recorded statements weren't an outright admission of guilt, just reasons why Fontaine could have been killed but not actually stating he did kill her. Seemed to be largely circumstantial, where reasonable doubt could have crept into the jurors process.

Or It's cause he's white who knows.

So yes the criminal justice system failed to convict a killer of a young aboriginal girl yet again in Manitoba. Regardless of if it was Cormier or not why can't the police find the actual killer and why can't the Crown put together a solid enough case to get someone convicted hmmmmmmmm

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh please. CI is actually funny and posts good links, Charimaster is a worthless pissy malcontent. And I'm not angry at all, wtf

CI is a better poster than Helsing, and they both attack me relentlessly so it's not like I'm playing favourites.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

PT6A posted:

CI is a better poster than Helsing, and they both attack me relentlessly so it's not like I'm playing favourites.

One makes serious effort posts, the other comedic relief :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ChairMaster posted:

Sikh Trudeau doesn't give a poo poo about anything other than looking good.

Are you referring to Jagmeet or Justin here? Because after Justin's India trip I honestly can't tell.