Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Drythe posted:

Today I learned FNIS background scans your computer for Mod Drop and refuses to work if you have it installed.

lmao, it does. Latest SSE version at least will search for something, maybe registry keys, and throw an error. According to what I saw, it searches for something Moddrop leaves behind after an uninstall, so it's not just 'do you have mod drop' it's 'have you ever had it'

Not disclosing that up front is pretty lovely, but at least it seems the author's not even pretending to hide it in the comments so :shrug: two wrongs don't make a right?

CascadeBeta posted:

Since I'm thinking about installing skyrim again ( :negative: ) what are the ENBs/Reshades/whatever of choice for special edition? I realize people will say "Use Imaginator" but I've never been able to get any sort of Imaginator setting looking good.

First, a disclaimer: SE ENBs are inherently a lot more limited than LE ones because [long, boring explanation you don't care about]. So what you should prioritize are ones which make the sky and environment look good because they literally can't do all the ENB tricks to character models; they can do some of the stuff but not all of it. I can't give you detailed reccomendations since that's entirely a personal thing on what you prefer, but imo that's what you should prioritize when looking around.

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I'm waiting for an app to install a buttcoin miner on your pc in order to use it

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
FNIS is not doing a scan!!

It is doing a check, m'kay?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

:thunk::thunk::thunk:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
lol loving incredible

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

CascadeBeta posted:

Since I'm thinking about installing skyrim again ( :negative: ) what are the ENBs/Reshades/whatever of choice for special edition? I realize people will say "Use Imaginator" but I've never been able to get any sort of Imaginator setting looking good.

I just Nvidia's Digital Vibrance, and the Vibrance GUI app to set independent values for desktop (0%) and games (anywhere from an extra 1% to 15%)

It crushes the blues at really high percentages though

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

CascadeBeta posted:

I've been using The Truth ENB myself, it's a remake of Phinix Natural ENB from Oldrim, by the same author. Doesn't murder my framerate, looks good IMO. I could never get Imaginator looking how I wanted either. After installing ENB, my load times have increased, though, but not terribly so. Worst is initial game load.

Also, not that I use FNIS, but what what is Mod Drop and why do the makers of FNIS care?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

taiyoko posted:

Also, not that I use FNIS, but what what is Mod Drop and why do the makers of FNIS care?

The FNIS guy cares about this kinda thing and has since forever. Even old FNIS versions have done an 'antipiracy check' since forever so I'm sure to them this is just an extension of the same thing. they're just really unyielding about using their tools with pirated skyrim and I guess this is in their same mental category because mod drop basically scraped and rehosted mods, I think? someone else can explain that better I hope. It pissed off a lot of people, and not just the usual suspects. :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 21, 2018

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

axeil posted:

Been playing with Zim's and it's great, highly recommend it.

The Galudar Amulet for example is the end reward after a very long quest chain that involves searching for amulets and clearing a bunch of dungeons. In the base game it gives a measly +50 to Health/Magica/Stamina which is usually useless by the time you get there.

Zim changed it to be "+10% to all skill levels and skills grow 10% faster" which is loving incredible at any point in the game and a worthy reward for such a long quest.

Silverwind has the goddamn best effect and is hilarious.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Psion posted:

The FNIS guy cares about this kinda thing and has since forever. Even old FNIS versions have done an 'antipiracy check' since forever so I'm sure to them this is just an extension of the same thing. they're just really unyielding about using their tools with pirated skyrim and I guess this is in their same mental category because mod drop basically scraped and rehosted mods, I think? someone else can explain that better I hope. It pissed off a lot of people, and not just the usual suspects. :v:

His anti-piracy check is "Is the game installed in the steam games directory?"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Drythe posted:

:laffo:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Drythe posted:

For gently caress's sake, how many modding advice guides tell people to move it out of there. Holy poo poo.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've got where I don't install any games in the default directory.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Drythe posted:

In whatever the registered steam library directory is or does he literally check in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\games\common\?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

The former

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Rolling your own homebrew starforce to zealously protect the intellectual property of a company you don't work for somehow seems even more spergy and pathetic than crashing the game because a competing titty armor mod or whatever is installed :allears:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Drythe posted:

The former

Installing into program files is something he calls out as bad, so yeah, it's checking whatever your Steam dir is.

Consider this, though. I'd say 95% of his users are looking to install sex mods with custom animations so just imagine the kind of crap he has to put up with - possibly literally - trying to do user support. Coding that in there so he can ignore a chunk of them was probably a net positive on his time. How's that for a scary thought? :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 22, 2018

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

quote:

What looks weird? If you play 3rd person with the camera in the back goes up, the player bends down, and NOTHING looks weird. A users has send me "proof" by making a tfc screenshot from the side. So what? That's not how you play Skyrim.

So is it some sort of "immersive" camera? Which one? But if so, that is still not something I could accept. If you bend over IN REAL LIFE with a weapon in your hand, and an armor on, it would look strange as well. But you would not do it. So why do you do it when you play the game? Is there a reason why you do it in-game, except you do it only because it bugs you that you know it exists?

Bethesda has in fact introduced a restriction for the player character (not for NPCs). But by doing this they have also introduced a BUG which prevents the player from casting spells way up or way down. That has been a big thing 1 or 2 years ago, and users have URGED to fix that in FNIS by introducing the Proper Spell Cast Direction fix. Something which I gladly did, because that is something that really bugged me as well. 

So what do you want me to do? Provide an option where you can choose between an apparent game bug, or an animation oddity under rare conditions (a camera mod (?) plus unnecessary user interaction)? How? As an additional FNIS patch? No way. First, I hate to spend (considerable) effort for something I consider being needed like a hole in the head. But even more important for me is the fact that it will confuse thousands of users who don't understand what's the fuzz with that patch that they don't understand at all why it is there.

And then they come here and waste my time again. No, thank you.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I don't feel bad for him

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Maybe this is a very stupid question but why is installing things in Program Files bad? This is something that's been drilled into my head for years now but I have no idea what the difference actually is.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

UAC throws a poo poo fit too often.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

cargohills posted:

Maybe this is a very stupid question but why is installing things in Program Files bad? This is something that's been drilled into my head for years now but I have no idea what the difference actually is.

Unless you have Windows User Account Control turned off it throws messages every time you try to mod something and occasionally prevents some mods from working altogether.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

And even if you do turn off UAC and run as admin, windows can still silently gently caress poo poo up.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Please don't turn off UAC

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I agree, don't turn of UAC.

What I don't understand, honestly, is the resistance some people show towards the "Don't loving install in Program Files."

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
C:\Games\Steam for life. Never had an issue.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I keep forgetting and installing stuff in program files and it's never really been an issue. Probably shouldn't be like me, though.

Langosta Whiteman posted:

tl;dr: Resto +Alt + Ench spell sword. Dumping stats into Magicka if you're a badass like me. Non-Destruction damage spell sword.

So first, the most important parts of the build are having CCO, Summermyst, and Apocalypse (and the raptor feet and BAT mods if you play an argonian, which you totally should, and you should also have all different colors on your argonians face and have Rainbow somewhere in his or her name.) Dumping all stats into magicka makes your spells take care of all offense and defense for you. Focus on getting the Tree Rings and Ocato's Recital spells, the Spirit Tutors perk, and the enchants Heal and Power Surge above all else.

Alteration is great for traveling spells and perks, and also your spell sword extras. Home Mythal + Dimension Door are awesome when you have a good permanent place for crafting and storage. You'll naturally want to get your spell sword perks, also the passive boots to magicka and resistances. Vancian Magic is interesting and still makes use of your magicka pool, even if it makes casting free.

Restoration is your damage and survivability. False Light is what I use, and with that branch and the Spirit Tutor branch you'll have exceptionally powerful offensive spells. Heal Other will be the majority of your damage. Tree Rings is your major survivability so make sure to keep it up in long fights. The duration will increase in your magic effects menu, but it will always last 30 seconds.

Enchanting is where you'll get buffs and Spellscribe. Make weapons with either Heal + nothing else, or Power Surge + anything but Heal. Reason being, False Light will let you deal out tons of damage from Heal (like 500k mid game), but will also reverse any other effect you combine with Heal. Heal + damage will turn into damage + healing on enemies, Heal + %effect will become damage + -%effect on enemies. Power Surge works best with Power of Knowledge and is typically what I use.

Everything else is to taste. Power Surge plus Apotheosis is hilariously powerful when combined with the Crusader stuff on the branch to the right. Add Spellscribe with Repel Undead and you trivialize fights with undead by way of burning them to ash while they run from you. The DoTs and buffs/debuffs scale with resto, again making stat dumping into your blue bar a worthwhile choice. Alchemy is pretty op, and will make you a god, so avoid it.

Stay safe, marsh friend.

this is great, going with something similar to this

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol if you didn't name your Argonian "Alligator Slim"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Drythe posted:

Please don't turn off UAC

I found the Cyberdemon's parachute account.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Randaconda posted:

lol if you didn't name your Argonian "Alligator Slim"

I have a guy who dual wields onehanded swords called Leonardo.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Vasudus posted:

C:\Games\Steam for life. Never had an issue.

Look at this guy without multiple drives for things

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Drythe posted:

Look at this guy without multiple drives for things

Look at this weirdo still using multiple drives.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Look at these fools not storing 100 GB of argonian titty mods in RAMDisk.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Another fun thing with Ordinator and Apocalypse is again with Alteration.

1) Power of Knowledge lets you cast the spell in your offhand as a power for free once per day.

2) Power Surge can activate that power for free on hit.

3) The spell counts as a one handed spell! Which means it activates your spell blade perks from the Alteration tree!

4) Vancian Magic can boost those spells as well, if you use the damage metamagic.

All this adds a bit of spell power to two-handed (which has the Voice of Rage and Ruin perk, adding a small chance to fire off your equipped power,) dual wielding, and even bow spell "blades" (archery has Lion's Arrow, which is the bow equivalent of Spellscribe.). You'd have to be closer than normal for bows to make the best use of those Alteration perks, but it might be incentive to break away from stealth archery, were you feeling brave (maybe Heavy Armor + Archery + buff auras from Illusion. Dropping flags, damage auras, Alteration debuffs, chilling with friends on the front line, coldly executing people with a crossbow.)

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Oh poo poo I haven't thought of that. Time to respec when I get home.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Speaking of which, I was having issues with face presets lately so I reinstalled ECE thinking that would fix it (it did not) but for some reason the reinstall completely hosed the stats of a character I was working on. Talents are mis-spent and my attribute distribution evened out.

What's the best way to respec? I could create a new character and import his face and manually advance my skills again but that's tedious.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Ordinator literally has a respec scroll

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Yeah there's a lot of really fun tools in Ord that combine well with Summermyst, especially with Power Surge and the shout enchants. I was just messing around with a "puddle" build, picking up the Elemental Oil perks from alchemy, combining it with burning ground effect enchantments, a spellscribed spell like fireball or some other AoE to set off the oil, and you end up with a character that uses ground hazards to deal with many enemies at once.

Just lots of things to try.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Internet Kraken posted:

SPERG along with Apocalypse spells has made this game so much more fun. I'm actually really enjoying the combat now as I have a lot of options to work with. Pickpocket is basically the unarmed combat skill now so I can do real damage with my bare fists and see those sweet killcams.

I tried Apocalypse once and all I remember is the utterly ridiculous number of spells, without much indication of which ones were actually fun or useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Entropic posted:

I tried Apocalypse once and all I remember is the utterly ridiculous number of spells, without much indication of which ones were actually fun or useful.

Most of the spells are at least situationally useful, and many of them are really good.