Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think it would be cool to introduce Storm as almost a villain. Separate her from the X-men, at least initially. Have her just be this Goddess who single-highhandedly challenges Wakanda is the number one superpower in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Chill Penguin posted:

What about the gal from Atlanta?

Isn't she in Deadpool?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Koalas March posted:

Marvel studios are a bunch of starfuckers so I don't see them going with anyone totally unknown.

I mean, yeah if you ignore like a huge chunk of their casting.

Unless you were the world's biggest Tom Holland fan two years ago.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Storm movie is already in production

https://twitter.com/lesbihayley/status/966744870042955776

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

mikeraskol posted:

Isn't she in Deadpool?

So is Thanos so you know, it's not like it is an impediment

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think it would be cool to introduce Storm as almost a villain. Separate her from the X-men, at least initially. Have her just be this Goddess who single-highhandedly challenges Wakanda is the number one superpower in the world.

They just did the first part of that in Apocalypse.

Unmature posted:

Sony cast Tom Holland.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Unmature posted:

Yeah, the overwhelming majority of their leads weren’t really popular prior to their casting. RDJ’s career was in shambles, Chris Evans was in... I know the badly received F4 movies, but I have no idea what else..., they ditched Norton as Hulk after one movie and replaced him with a B-lister. I guess Pratt was famous before GotG, but as a sitcom actor. Their movies are full of big stars, but a lot of them became household names from being in Marvel movies.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Sony cast Tom Holland.

Alright then Thor or Loki or Shuri or Bucky or Sharon Carter or Mantis or Drax or Falcon or T'Challa or Zemo or Valkyrie or most of the other Spider-Man actors etc

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Unmature posted:

Alright then Thor or Loki or Shuri or Bucky or Sharon Carter or Mantis or Drax or Falcon or T'Challa or Zemo or Valkyrie or most of the other Spider-Man actors etc

Aside from Shuri, Drax and Mantis, these were already B+ to B- list actors. (To steal Lainey's rating style)

Tessa Thompson and Chadwick is definitely not a "nobody" (especially if you follow black actors), same with Sharon if you watch primetime TV and if by other Spiderman actors you mean Zendaya she was like one of the most teen popular stars ever way before she was cast.

Basically every lead they've cast (since the first phase) has already been on the verge of a break out, Marvel just elevated them to what everyone in the industry already predicted.

I think yall are confusing "The public has never/rarely heard about these people" with "the industry has never/rarely known about these people"

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 22, 2018

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Yes but SA is my only source of information about the outside world, so they were completely unknown to me.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Maybe, but I still think all of those castings would take them out of the "starfuckers" classification. I wouldn't call any of them a star pre-Marvel even if they did some projects. Most working actors have to have some kind of experience before being cast in a 100 million dollar picture.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Koalas March posted:

Aside from Shuri, Drax and Mantis, these were already B+ to B- list actors. (To steal Lainey's rating style)

Tessa Thompson and Chadwick is definitely not a "nobody" (especially if you follow black actors), same with Sharon if you watch primetime TV and if by other Spiderman actors you mean Zendaya she was like one of the most teen popular stars ever way before she was cast.

Basically every lead they've cast (since the first phase) has already been on the verge of a break out, Marvel just elevated them to what everyone in the industry already predicted.

I think yall are confusing "The public has never/rarely heard about these people" with "the industry has never/rarely known about these people"

Well then if this is what you meant by them being starfuckers this is a stupid loving standard and conversation because nobody for their 200 million dollar movie is going "hmmmm let me pull some dude that does a play in a warehouse in LA twice a week." Casting B+ to B- list actors is very different from being starfuckers and chasing big names to the detriment of casting, which I would say Marvel doesn't do.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mikeraskol posted:

Well then if this is what you meant by them being starfuckers this is a stupid loving standard and conversation because nobody for their 200 million dollar movie is going "hmmmm let me pull some dude that does a play in a warehouse in LA twice a week." Casting B+ to B- list actors is very different from being starfuckers and chasing big names to the detriment of casting, which I would say Marvel doesn't do.

Yeah. Marvel has pretty much nailed the casting for all their major characters. Calling the studio “starfuckers” because you’ve heard of the people they’re casting before is kind of baseless.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah. Marvel has pretty much nailed the casting for all their major characters. Calling the studio “starfuckers” because you’ve heard of the people they’re casting before is kind of baseless.

And it's also kind of asking for something impossible. It's kind of silly and myopic to expect the majority of the cast of literally the biggest movies of the world to have a fresh, untouched IMDB page.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I would say that probably the biggest "let's cast a really well known actor for the role" movie Marvel has done lately is Benedict Cumberbatch for Dr. Strange, which is maybe the closest to Wizard Magazine level fantasy casting they've gone for. I'm not really sure who else I would have tapped for the role off the top of my head tbh.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I would say that probably the biggest "let's cast a really well known actor for the role" movie Marvel has done lately is Benedict Cumberbatch for Dr. Strange, which is maybe the closest to Wizard Magazine level fantasy casting they've gone for. I'm not really sure who else I would have tapped for the role off the top of my head tbh.

Hah awesome that's exactly the phrase I've been using. That's some Wizard Magazine-rear end tone def casting and I think the only huge misstep they've made.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

It's not really a pejorative, y'all can calm down. You don't need to go to bat for a billion dollar studio because someone used a poor turn of phrase on the internet lmao

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

And he sucks.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Haha Whedon's been dropped off the Batgirl movie.

He says he couldn't figure out a story, it definitely wasn't WB dropping him for being abusive to his wife and a huge toxic mark on a female led tentpole.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Shoulda been Clive Owen or Daniel Radcliffe, smdh

Edit: or Chiwetel Ejiofor

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 22, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Koalas March posted:

Speaking of MCU as it is, I think Storm/Thor would be a worthy addition, since Jane is out and people seem to really like Nakia.

But would the pairing be called Thorm or Ororor?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He was a terrible Doctor Who so I'm not sure why they thought he'd be a good Doctor Strange.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Dr Strange would've been better if Ejiofor had played Strange and Cumberbatch had played Mordo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Next you're gonna tell me Steel didn't inspire a generation

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The obvious answer would have been:

Obviously.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I'm angry that doesn't exist

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Reginald Hudlin was the worst thing to happen to Black Panther in general, and he undid a lot of what was great about the character under Priest's run. They need to avoid referencing his run as much as possible.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cptn_dr posted:

I'm angry that doesn't exist

I like all of his "What if the Avengers movies were made in the 80s?" posters.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Turns out this is a writer for The Federalist.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Turns out this is a writer for The Federalist.

No! Impossible!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Mel Gibson is like Tom Cruise sized, he'd have been a terrible Thor.

Just popping in again to fan-cast Matt Smith as the eventual new Mister Fantastic.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

No! Impossible!

I just always like checking someone's Twitter after somebody posts an image like that to see what other hot takes they've made and yep, these ones are the hottest.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Cumberbatch is better in his one scene in Thor: Ragnarok than in the entirety of his own film.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Barry Convex posted:

Cumberbatch is better in his one scene in Thor: Ragnarok than in the entirety of his own film.

Yeah, I don't really feel like Cumberbatch is a bad choice, just not a very "huh I wasn't very familiar with this guy before/didn't think much of him at the time but he's pretty much perfect" choice. I actually didn't think Dr. Strange was as mediocre as a lot of people seem to, I'll admit that his performance there didn't absolutely wow me, but I agree that his cameo in Thor 3 makes me think that he'll do okay in Infinity War.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The obvious answer would have been:

Obviously.

Hello new phone background

I am also angry this never happened

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I haven't read enough Dr. Strange comics to know whether or not Cumberbatch was good for the role. I know I don't like Sherlock, but that's about all I knew him from. The only casting choice mistake I can think of was Weaving as Red Skull and that's just because he hated it so much that he killed Red Skull forever.

Bruceski posted:

But would the pairing be called Thorm or Ororor?

Search your heart. You know which one is right. It's Ororor

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The Mighty Thtorm, duh

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Barry Convex posted:

I also thought this and it gave me a liiiiittle bit of optimism for the future of the character. It also helped that Waititi is an incredible comedy director. I don't know if it was Cumberbatch's terrible accent, him not mixing with the script, or the direction but I couldn't stand the comedy in Doctor Strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
The only thing I know of Sherlock and Cumberbatch was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FSKTndbwVo&t=57s

This poo poo was praised in its time?!

• Locked thread