Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

'Relatively on track'.

They're skipping a structure deck to get this one out early. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh no, what will I do without the second Yusaku-themed Cyberse deck in a row. :geno:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

AlphaKretin posted:

Oh no, what will I do without the second Yusaku-themed Cyberse deck in a row. :geno:

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

AlphaKretin posted:

Excuse us for wanting those vanilla link monsters for other decks.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

On one hand it's annoying that we got another Cyberse themed deck. I won't argue that.

But on the other hand that's more product that they'll have to find a way to shoehorn into the TCG later.

Some of the cards in the deck are actually pretty good for once, at that.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Getting pretty sick of cyberse stuff tbh

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!
I mean if it includes more staples like Cosmic Cyclone and Dimensional Barrier then I'm all for it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

Too bad. We're stuck with two more years of it minimum. :sigh:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Super Waffle posted:

Join us in Duel Links.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

Join us in Duel Links.

I play Duel Links off and on as a time waster. I run an Ishizu fairy deck.

For real cards I've been having a lot of fun with my Musketeer deck. Hand traps for days :getin:

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

I'm just over here waiting patiently for FLOD, just so I can get my playset of Solar Batterymen and straight dunk on nerds. :science:

Ceasefire is at three

The OTK cannot be stopped except with effect negation, but I'm working on that

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Just about all the upcoming new Vampire Stuff just got revealed and leaked (about loving time) keep an eye on the Ygorganization for translations of that.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Anyone know when we can expect a TCG version of the Fluffal Angel from Shonen jump?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Unfortunately, no idea. They're V-Jump subscriber promos, so the answer is basically 'whenever Konami decides to throw us a bone.'

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Not to mention we're still waiting on frightfur patchwork over a year later :sigh:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

WE'RE STILL WAITING ON THE CRYSTAL BEAST STUFF FROM EARLY ARC-V! :argh:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Still waiting on Red Rising Dragon and Superheavy Samurai Musashi

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

How long did it take us to get Full Armored Crystal Zero Pepsi? Expect to wait that long, and be pleasantly surprised if it happens sooner.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Hjalmar posted:

How long did it take us to get Full Armored Crystal Zero Pepsi? Expect to wait that long, and be pleasantly surprised if it happens sooner.

Way longer than it should have.

One of the cards in that pack was meta in the OCG as an out to Nekroz, and TCG didn't have it as an option because it took so long to bring us those cards.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I only ask because my friend runs a Fluffal deck. I hate that deck so much so this is only good news for me :v:

Julias posted:

Not to mention we're still waiting on frightfur patchwork over a year later :sigh:

Hooooooly crap what a broken card, also good for me

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This is all stuff we could be getting like Lunalight Kaleido Chick in main set imports but they decided the LVP needs to take up all that space instead of being its own pack instead. :argh:

And something something Scramble Egg but that wouldn't be nearly as much of a deal if it wasn't competing with the LVP for pack space so whatever.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

So I just got my third copy of That Grass Looks Greener in Duel Links but I'm not sure what if any decks this even supports. Any ideas?

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Hjalmar posted:

So I just got my third copy of That Grass Looks Greener in Duel Links but I'm not sure what if any decks this even supports. Any ideas?

Dead off-hand, not really no. It's a great card but Duel Links doesn't have many decks that go through themselves easily so that you can use it to benefit you. Aliens could be the only one, but then there's the risk of throwing out cards in your deck you would desperately need to win.

EDIT: Having two days to think on it, Cyber Dragons can likely be the first candidate. Throw a bunch of machines in there and tech in Chimeratech.

Tactless Ogre fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 27, 2018

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

So I'm hoping you guys can help with this:

My friends got me in to this stupid baby game a few months ago. I picked it up quickly and can usually hold my own in casual play amongst my friends.

That being said, I've got this friend who, when I started, I thought was an incredible player, and now realize he's kind of terrible (he showed me his deck the other day, and it was sixty cards, blue eyes deck, missing most of the cards that make it work, but it DID include one relinquished, one Chaos Max, one Obelisk, and all five pieces of Exodia just for fun). My group plays for fun, so that's no big deal.

However, my friend with the terrible decks always loses to another friend of mine who uses sort of annoying decks (raidraptors, trap monsters, etc) and this always leaves him demoralized. It doesn't help that annoying-deck-guy is a poo poo talker and can be pretty dickish.

With all that out of the way, I want to make my friend a solid, usable deck so he can play with my group without getting depressed. He seems obsessed with decks based around big rear end beat sticks that do massive damage. At the same time he's told me both Dinosaurs and Monarchs suck (!?).

So my question is, what's a good "strong guy" deck that's straight forward, usable, and preferably cheap to make (say around or under forty bucks)?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

He'll probably see improvements just by removing Exodia and Obelisk :v:

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Super Waffle posted:

He'll probably see improvements just by removing Exodia and Obelisk :v:

I told him that, but his response was, "I like to be ready for everything." That being said, he didn't understand why he'd ever want to run three of any card in a deck including the boss monster.

He's really not a bad player at all when you give him a good deck, he just psyches himself out trying to stop every conceivable scenario. For example, I told him about that Gouki link monster that decreases every monster's atk by their def and that I might make a Gouki deck at some point, and he put one monster in his deck with 0 def and an effect that doesn't help him in any way. When I asked him why it was in his deck, his response was "Good luck trying your Gouki stuff with THAT baby in my deck."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
In other words, you're saying he basically plays the game the way Yugi in the first anime series did - a deck full of random generalist crap and praying that he'll get lucky and draw exactly what he needs when he needs it. As opposed to actually just picking a win condition and building the deck around making that win condition happen.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

W.T. Fits posted:

In other words, you're saying he basically plays the game the way Yugi in the first anime series did - a deck full of random generalist crap and praying that he'll get lucky and draw exactly what he needs when he needs it. As opposed to actually just picking a win condition and building the deck around making that win condition happen.

He apparently learned how to play by watching the first season of the show when he was like ten, so yes.

I basically need to help him get over his weird hang ups. He refuses to use XYZs, synchros, or anything to "new" because he doesn't remember them from the show.

Biff Rockgroin fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 6, 2018

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Maybe a BLS Ritual deck? It's fairly beatdowny and has a lot of classic nostalgia stuff going for it with kuribohs and gaias. It's far from the best deck around but it should be able to keep pace with Raidraptors at least.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
Give him a replica Millennium Puzzle and institute a house-rule that anyone who duels with that around their neck can search their deck for a card instead of drawing during their draw phase.

But the real answer is of course:

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I basically need to help him get over his weird hang ups.
unless you plan on making all his decks for him. My first thought was Monarchs since you can build them without an extra deck, if you can convince him they don't suck.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
There was that Blue-Eyes structure deck from a while ago, maybe buy 2-3 of those and build a semi decent deck for him out of that

Another option could be to get him a copy of the Legendary Dragons box, he'd probably like the Atlantis Dragons deck

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

This was me when I started playing again last year after a ~12 year hiatus. My original deck was a mishmash of Toons, ritual monsters (Crab Turtles), and a smattering of magic (not spell!) and trap cards. I had no extra deck, and Xyz/Synchros were completely unknown to me. After removing my Monster Reborn, Pot of Greed, and Change of Heart, I had a 59 card deck :v:

From there it was a process of removing what didn't work, adding more of what did, and keeping as close to 40 cards as I could. It was a slow evolution that saw me remove and replace all but 3 of my original cards (Dark Magician, Magic Drain, Magic Cylinder), and it eventually settled on a half-decent Dark Magician deck.

What kept me from losing, if you'll pardon the expression, the heart of my deck was this slow, Ship of Theseus style progression and accepting that no, I won't be prepared for anything and yes, I will face cards and decks that I can't win against no matter what combos I pull.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I dunno if my approach would be too harsh, but my first thought would be to explain how that's not being ready for any situation, quite the opposite. Exodia will reduce the chance of being ready for a given situation by bricking your hand with useless cards. If you need Obelisk to beat over something, you probably don't have the resources to summon him - something like Number S39 is a lot easier (though maybe not in Blue-Eyes, I'm fairly sure some Photon Xyz have 4K though), and don't have to be drawn into - or Alternative Dragon might be able to just destroy it by effect. If you only run one copy of each card, the chances you draw into it at the same time as the unlikely situation you're running it to cover is near-0 and it'll largely just be a brick.

...and after typing all that I realise I missed the actual question at the end of the post. :downs: it's not the purest "strong guy" deck, but I'll never pass up a chance to plug Gren Maju Da Eiza banish troll - using cards like Pot of Desires, Eater of Millions and Necroface to banish a bunch of cards then summoning cards that gain absurd amounts of ATK from it. (Hopefully TCG gets Gandora Giga Rays at some point, though imports are dire as hell right now.)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Biff Rockgroin posted:

With all that out of the way, I want to make my friend a solid, usable deck so he can play with my group without getting depressed. He seems obsessed with decks based around big rear end beat sticks that do massive damage. At the same time he's told me both Dinosaurs and Monarchs suck (!?).

So my question is, what's a good "strong guy" deck that's straight forward, usable, and preferably cheap to make (say around or under forty bucks)?

:psyduck:

Dinosaurs don't suck. They've been in and out of the meta for the past year and are overall really strong.They're fairly cheap too, you can pick up three copies of their structure deck for 12 dollars a piece and put together something workable out of that.

As far as a good "strong guy" deck goes (and I can't believe I'm going to say this given how much I've rallied against the deck in the past), give him a Skull Servant deck. It's simple and straightforward as heck, and most of it's cards should be pretty cheap. The whole strategy for the deck is 'send a bunch of dudes to the grave and then summon an 8k+ beatstick', so that kind of thing should be right up his alley.

EDIT: Seriously though, dinosaurs have one of the biggest, baddest, easiest to summon beatsick boss monsters in the game.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Ultimate_Conductor_Tyranno

This guy is exactly what your friend wants. Why does he think Dinosaurs suck?

Vandar fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 6, 2018

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Something that worked for me was to pick a theme or concept you really like and build a deck around it. I like Dark Magicians, I built a deck around it. I loved the artwork and design concepts of Magical Muskets, so I put a deck together. Theres so many drat themes and concepts and archetypes in this game its impossible not to find something you like.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

Dexie posted:

:psyduck:

Dinosaurs don't suck... Why does he think Dinosaurs suck?

Trust me, I know. The first deck I ever made myself was a Dino deck. According to him, they aren't powerful enough. Although I think what it is is that he didn't understand how Soul-eating Oviraptor/Petiteranodon and all that work.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice. I've got some really good ideas now.

I will say, as an adult who started playing several months ago and has never seen an episode of the show, it's interesting how many people I've had tell me they learned from the show... And that the show is terrible at teaching the game.

Biff Rockgroin fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 7, 2018

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I will say, as an adult who started playing several months ago and has never seen an episode of the show, it's interesting how many people I've had tell me they learned from the show... And that the show is terrible at teaching the game.

It's gotten better about that. I'd say that watching the first chunk of episodes of Arc-V is a really good entry to the different summoning types.

And please, go tell your friend that Dinosaurs have been on-and-off meta for a year now and he's crazy.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Arc-V definitely got me very excited about the game in a way that VRAINS really isn't. It's a real shame.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Trust me, I know. The first deck I ever made myself was a Dino deck. According to him, they aren't powerful enough. Although I think what it is is that he didn't understand how Soul-eating Oviraptor/Petiteranodon and that that work.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice. I've got some really good ideas now.

dinosaurs have like 2 creatures that break the rule of 3000, what the heck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

mandatory lesbian posted:

dinosaurs have like 2 creatures that break the rule of 3000, what the heck

He's obsessed with the idea of getting some abnormally powerful monster out and demolishing his opponent that turn (EDIT: I should mention he doesn't like skull servants for some reason). The problem is, he seems to only hear the parts of cards he likes. He refused to believe me when I told him Winged Dragon of Ra COULD be destroyed or removed from the field by plenty of different methods because, "How are you gonna stop it when it has 7900 attack?"

Whatever I make though, I'm going to beat him with it several times before I let him know I made it for him. That way he's more likely to accept it and understand that it's "strong". Then I'll just have to hope he doesn't load it up with Exodia and Egyptian gods.

Biff Rockgroin fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Mar 7, 2018