Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

This is the first version of iOS that I actually needed to look up how to do things. It’s like they rushed this out to meet their arbitrary NEW MAJOR VERSION EVERY YEAR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
They also seemed to gently caress around with the sensitivity for the four finger swipe up to bring up multitasking. In iOS 10 and earlier it was simple and a short swipe up. In iOS 11 it’s still there but now it feels like you have to swipe up across almost the entire screen to get it to work.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there any kind of app that can add handwritten annotations to a webpage that's a bit quicker than screenshot > scroll down > screenshot > etc?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is there any kind of app that can add handwritten annotations to a webpage that's a bit quicker than screenshot > scroll down > screenshot > etc?

Can you save the webpage as a PDF and open it with whatever? Does One Note on iOS let you import PDFs?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
That’s an option, but I liked the idea of being able to live scroll up and down a page and add the annotations. I’d assume the browsing would need to be done in its own app for that to work.

I think Edge on Windows does it, I hope Apple rips it off for iOS 12.x after the .0 release which is all about fixing iOS 11’s mess.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Pants Donkey posted:

I miss the old multitasking prior to 11. I liked being able to just swipe down on the secondary window to rapidly switch between apps. Now you got to bring up the dock and gently caress about with dragging.

I hated it. Worked fine if you had <10 apps but that UI did not scale to a large number of multitasking compatible apps.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
TIL that the Gmail app doesn't support multi-tasking on the iPad. Are there any other apps that do that also support push email for Gmail?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

TIL that the Gmail app doesn't support multi-tasking on the iPad. Are there any other apps that do that also support push email for Gmail?

Airmail. Use it on both iOS and macOS, love it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Mrs Mango has an iPad Air (1) and it restarts itself at least once a day. Short of a wipe and reinstall is there anything to do to figure out why? Seems to crash doing things like Animal Crossing and Facebook.

Battery life also isn’t great, so maybe that’s related? At this point I just wonder if it’s better to get a current gen non Pro and just hope it works with no issues. The other Air in the household seems to work fine with basically the same apps and use.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That 100% sounds like a bad/dying battery.

Basically, the whole thing with Apple throttling iPhones with old batteries is to prevent exactly that from happening.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

OGB posted:

Airmail. Use it on both iOS and macOS, love it.

Airmail was great, but it's gotten bloated on iOS. Like app switching from Airmail to Safari and back to Airmail again made the app restart every time. I've switched to Edison Mail and it seems to be much leaner.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Krispy Wafer posted:

Airmail was great, but it's gotten bloated on iOS. Like app switching from Airmail to Safari and back to Airmail again made the app restart every time. I've switched to Edison Mail and it seems to be much leaner.
Do either of them store new emails for offline use? I noticed that Gmail would give me the notification but never actually download emails until the app was open.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Do either of them store new emails for offline use? I noticed that Gmail would give me the notification but never actually download emails until the app was open.

Not sure. I just know when I first paid for the app I could click a link, go to another application, and then hit the back button for email and everything would show up like it's supposed to. Then a few months ago that changed and now it brings up the Airmail splash screen and goes back to the inbox rather than the email I was just in.

YMMV. I've found Edison does most everything Airmail did and it was free, so they're totally selling my personal data.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Ultimate Mango posted:

Mrs Mango has an iPad Air (1) and it restarts itself at least once a day. Short of a wipe and reinstall is there anything to do to figure out why? Seems to crash doing things like Animal Crossing and Facebook.

Battery life also isn’t great, so maybe that’s related? At this point I just wonder if it’s better to get a current gen non Pro and just hope it works with no issues. The other Air in the household seems to work fine with basically the same apps and use.
Sounds like a dying battery. Take it to Apple diagnostics as soon as you can. Bad stuff starts happening when batteries deteriorate.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Hot drat these iPad Pro smart covers are expensive. Do they ever go on sale, even if it's from somewhere other than Apple?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

ufarn posted:

Sounds like a dying battery. Take it to Apple diagnostics as soon as you can. Bad stuff starts happening when batteries deteriorate.

Apple ran the diagnostics, and apparently everything is fine. I guess it’s wipe and fresh install if I still have a problem.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

OldSenileGuy posted:

Hot drat these iPad Pro smart covers are expensive. Do they ever go on sale, even if it's from somewhere other than Apple?

Generic ones off Amazon: Kuhmo or similar are fine.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Ultimate Mango posted:

Generic ones off Amazon: Kuhmo or similar are fine.

Link? There are genetics without backs now?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Virtue posted:

Link? There are genetics without backs now?

Apparently the KHOMO ones all have backs. Sorry about that.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

OldSenileGuy posted:

eBay. Plenty of new ones with damaged packaging for a small discount. I got mine with shelf scuffs on the box for $30

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

eddiewalker posted:

eBay. Plenty of new ones with damaged packaging for a small discount. I got mine with shelf scuffs on the box for $30
How much better are the iPad smart covers/cases vs the £10 ones you can get off Amazon? I've always only ever used cheap cases for my iPad and can't really work out what would make the Apple ones better.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Anything that uses the smart connector (so iPad Pro only) is going to be superior to a Bluetooth keyboard.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

How much better are the iPad smart covers/cases vs the £10 ones you can get off Amazon? I've always only ever used cheap cases for my iPad and can't really work out what would make the Apple ones better.

My biggest problem with the cheap knock off smart cases is that they often use a cheap cardboard or thin plastic insert for the flaps and it’s hard as hell to find out that actually sits flush and doesn’t curl or bow out at the edges.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

The Smart Cover feels super luxurious. My wife tried a cheap one. It was so lovely and wouldn’t stay propped up

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
I'm right there with you on the cost being higher than I'd like to pay, but they're really nice keyboards. Definitely worth the high cost.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

Anything that uses the smart connector (so iPad Pro only) is going to be superior to a Bluetooth keyboard.

Agreed.

As far as I know there's only three keyboards that use the smart connector, and they all command premium prices.

Apple Smart Keyboard - good (around $150)
Logitech CREATE - fantastic keyboard, so, so bulky. $90-$125 (9.7 and 12.9 form factor only)
Logitech Slim Case w/Smart Keyboard (I have it on order, so I'll report back). $150-$165 (10.5 and 12.9 only)

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Logi keyboard is very good, but mine cracked on one of the plastic bits that hold the iPad in and I haven't been able to fix it. But while it worked it was really good. Illuminated keyboard and everything. Rock solid performance.

For my eventual 12.9 I'm going the Apple smart keyboard because I can't afford to buy a new keyboard case every year. Also it's bulky and it's going to make a large iPad absolutely massive.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Pretty sure OldSenileGuy asked about Smart Covers, AKA the flat thing with a magnet and 3 flaps, then a bunch of people thought he wanted a keyboard. Did I miss something?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

eddiewalker posted:

Pretty sure OldSenileGuy asked about Smart Covers, AKA the flat thing with a magnet and 3 flaps, then a bunch of people thought he wanted a keyboard. Did I miss something?
Yeah I was confused too. I can definitely see keyboards ranging a lot in quality (I got a hella cheap bluetooth keyboard a while back and can tell the Apple ones are infinitely better) but something that's just a case, outside of the luxurious feel that you mentioned in your earlier post, I can't really see why the Apple ones cost as much as they do. Maybe I've been lucky in not getting ones that don't stay propped up - although I always get full-body cases rather than just covers for the front.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

It's even worse than that because while I DID ask about Smart Covers, I actually meant Keyboard Covers. So thanks for all the info!

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I recently updated my iPad Pro and now embedded gifs on SA don’t work. Help?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I recently updated my iPad Pro and now embedded gifs on SA don’t work. Help?

Safari or Awful app?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

FCKGW posted:

Safari or Awful app?

Safari

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Can you stuff the iPad Pro with the Smart Keyboard into those pencil holder iPad sleeves Apple sells or are they too tight?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zwille posted:

Can you stuff the iPad Pro with the Smart Keyboard into those pencil holder iPad sleeves Apple sells or are they too tight?

If you’re talking about the leather one, according to feedback to that very question in the Apple Store app it looks like “yes but tight fit, but leather will likely stretch over time.” So if you regularly use it with the Smart Keyboard it will adjust over time, but them putting in a “naked” iPad may be loose after that.

E: someone also said in response to ANOTHER question asking the same thing that a “representative” said it would not. So :shrug:

Maybe if you go into an Apple Store and give it a test fit? I imagine they allow returns. The 12.9” seems real expensive @ $149. Who am I kidding, I’ll probably end up getting it.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 24, 2018

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Oh thanks! I imagined something like that. The iPad just with the Smart Keyboard seems too flimsy to just chuck in a backpack between books.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Zwille posted:

Yes, I have an iPad Pro with the Smart Keyboard and the Khomo back cocker and keep it in the leather pencil holder sleeve. No problems, tight but not too tight.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i've been using the leather sleeve and smart keyboard with the 10.5inch ipad pro since it came out, zero issues

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Is Notability still the go-to note taking/ PDF annotation app? It’s pretty old at this point and the reviews are in the 3s now.

I have OneNote but I can’t get used to the interface and PDF annotation kinda sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Notability still rocks.

There are probably better options, but it’s a consistent winner with excellent Pencil support.