Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Croatoan posted:

I know I'm gonna be an aspect ratio snob but is it really worth it for me to watch the Wire as well? Does it convert into widescreen at any point?

I watched it on DVD on an HDTV and it was awesome, quality be damned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Simon said he thinks 4:3 is better for The Wire because it approximates the local news from that era

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 22, 2018

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Also because it's how the show was blocked and shot, but if you prioritize filling every inch of your screen over actual cinematography it's good that you have that option I guess.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

But isn't The Wire in 16:9 largely free of like boom mics and crew members and poo poo like that in the shots that a lot of things assumed to be viewed in 4:3 are plagued with?

If I'm not mistaken then I have to wonder if the Vision(tm) was fully 4:3. That being said I can appreciate it as an artistic choice, but it's one I'd probably ignore were I ever to rewatch the show.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

IRQ posted:

But isn't The Wire in 16:9 largely free of like boom mics and crew members and poo poo like that in the shots that a lot of things assumed to be viewed in 4:3 are plagued with?

If I'm not mistaken then I have to wonder if the Vision(tm) was fully 4:3. That being said I can appreciate it as an artistic choice, but it's one I'd probably ignore were I ever to rewatch the show.

It's not out of the question in the anticipation for a widescreen laserdisc set, Babylon 5 was shot in 16:9, but blocked and composed for 4:3 which was the standard at the time. DTV standards were around since the early 90's.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

There are differing stories as to the Wire in 16:9. Supposedly the DPs shot in 16:9 frames that would be croppable to 4:3 and it wasn’t until season 3 when they started consciously framing and shooting 4:3. Simon preferred 4:3, but was ok with the 16:9 remasters

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I watched it 16:9 and I sure didn't notice any cinematography issues, distracting negative space or anything like that. It's pretty obvious in some scenes that people are standing ridiculously close to each other so they can both be in the frame in 4:3, but that's about it. Any argument that it's "meant" to be watched in 4:3 is pretty spurious.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

IRQ posted:

I mean, yeah that could be the case, but the show was shot and arranged for 4:3. Blowing that out means that you're going to be increasing the amount of negative space in the image. i.e. everything that's important is going to be happening in the centre of the screen, and the margins are going to be full of empty space. The most obvious effect is that cramped shots are going to look less cramped, but it can also make shots look oddly blocked, or can dilute visual impact.

e.g. this shot from The Sopranos, which like The Wire was shot for 4:3 but protected for 16:9 -- so no boom mikes, but the shot loses something in translation. The broadcast image would have had Tony boxed in by the frame rather than floating in the centre of the image. Melfi's legs would have been even more prominent; hell, it'd be basically all we'd see of her. The wider shot also means that the sharp planar quality to the scene, the line drawn from Melfi through the tissues and to Tony, is blunted by the bookcase on the left. Ultimately you still get a similar effect, but the force of the original image is diluted.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 22, 2018

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Sopranos and The Wire in 4:3 look like rear end because they are in SD.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A lot of people here who definitely haven’t actually bothered to watch The Wire in 16:9 claiming it’s worse

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh god CineD has infected TVIV, get out while you still can folks!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

We've got to amputate this thread it's the only way to save the rest of the body.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Regy Rusty posted:

We've got to amputate this thread it's the only way to save the rest of the body.

Have you seen the BoJack thread recently? It's too late

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mu Zeta posted:

The Sopranos and The Wire in 4:3 look like rear end because they are in SD.

I recall he wasn’t a big fan of HD either. He probably should’ve shot the show on video and released it on VHS based around the aesthetics he was looking for.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Regy Rusty posted:

Be careful, if one of them quotes you the virus spreads :ohdear:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rarity posted:

It's too late

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rarity posted:

THE BYE BYE MAN

don't think it don't say it don't think it don't say it

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DivisionPost posted:

Holy poo poo what the gently caress is going on in there

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Escobarbarian posted:

Holy poo poo what the gently caress is going on in there

Look it's not enough to trust that the writers will figure out the best way to incorporate or not incorporate the #MeToo movement, we have to endlessly speculate about it.

Also asexuals don't exist, they have psychological issues. (Thanks for banning that dude FAU.)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DivisionPost posted:

Look it's not enough to trust that the writers will figure out the best way to incorporate or not incorporate the #MeToo movement, we have to endlessly speculate about it.

Also asexuals don't exist, they have psychological issues. (Thanks for banning that dude FAU.)

Wait... do they exist or don't they? Which team do i need to defend, I missed the meeting.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rocksicles posted:

Wait... do they exist or don't they? Which team do i need to defend, I missed the meeting.

They exist but they're all axolotls..

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

They exist but they're all axolotls..

Those poor things have lots of issues.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

I was caught up on it yesterday and then today saw it had almost 100 new posts so I don't even wanna touch it

E: I looked and saw some of the actual worst posts I've ever seen on these forums (thankfully all from one, now banned person)

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 22, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I knew an asexual guy in college, he was pretty cool.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What the gently caress is this bullshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8B5dqjsZUs

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Regy Rusty posted:

I was caught up on it yesterday and then today saw it had almost 100 new posts so I don't even wanna touch it

E: I looked and saw some of the actual worst posts I've ever seen on these forums (thankfully all from one, now banned person)

Well, on the bright side, it's not truly a good show until goons are terrible about it.

Speaking of which, goons should be a lot more terrible about Everything Sucks! and A.P. Bio. I've already waxed poetic on the former, but I just caught the first two episodes of the latter and it's pretty goddamn good.

If you don't know, beyond just starring Glenn Howerton and Patton Oswalt, the show was created by SNL vet Mike O'Brien. Mike O’Brien is somehow simultaneously a beautiful man and a loving lunatic. The SNL skits he's probably best remembered for are Sad Mouse and Puppet Class. A.P. Bio doesn't quite get up there but it's definitely revving up.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

zoux posted:

What if Powers Rangers but too much internet

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah people are clamoring to bring back a beloved series that was cut short, they loved the characters and the setting and the light atmosphere but get this: What if we didn't do any of that and instead made a dumbass Power Rangers show that sucked?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A.P. Bio is weird in that NBC marketing has it starting March 1st even though the first two episodes aired and the first three have been on Hulu.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
AP Bio is fantastic.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Chevy Chase gotta Chevy Chase

quote:

Chevy Chase was living out a scenario right out of a National Lampoon flick.

The actor claims he was attacked in a road rage incident while traveling over the Tappan Zee Bridge in New York earlier this month when a passenger kicked him so hard he fell to the ground, TMZ reported.

Chase, 74, told police that a black pick-up truck cut him off on Feb. 9 and he thought the truck might have hit his car, so he flashed his lights until the driver pulled over.

He realized there was no damage, but still went up to the driver to “speak to him about his reckless driving,” according to the gossip site — and that’s when trouble started.

One of the passengers flipped off the actor and he fired back, reportedly saying, “If I were a lot younger I'd bust your nose.”

His threat led one of the passengers to get out of the car and kick him in the shoulder, causing him to hit the ground, according to police docs.

The driver claimed Chase threw a punch first and that the kicker was trying to block his fist with a foot, TMZ reports.

The person who kicked the actor was cited with second degree harassment, according to documents obtained by TMZ.

A witness also was involved in the report, noting he pulled over because he didn’t want to witness the older man, Chase, “get his a-- stomped.”

Chase was a key cast member in the first reason of “Saturday Night Live” and went on to star in films like the “National Lampoon” franchise, “Caddyshack,” “Fletch” and countless others.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

zoux posted:

I feel they missed an obvious Reboot-style joke by not having Homeroom be in room 10.0.0.1

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

quote:

The driver claimed Chase threw a punch first and that the kicker was trying to block his fist with a foot, TMZ reports.

I've been sitting her for like 3 minutes trying to figure that out.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

STAC Goat posted:

I've been sitting her for like 3 minutes trying to figure that out.

The driver is full of poo poo and the passenger kicked Chevy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

lelandjs posted:

The driver is full of poo poo and the passenger kicked Chevy.

Yeah, obviously. I'm just trying to picture the thing he was trying to paint.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Really late on this, but finally decided to bite the bullet and start watching MST3K: The Return.

and....it's good. It's good because it mostly doesn't reinvent the wheel. It's different, but primarily in the way the Mike era was different from the Joel era. Well, and having a bit bigger of a budget, clearly, but they've clearly taken pains to give everything the same lo-fi aesthetic.
The first episode was weak, but more because Reptilicus is terminally boring, and Jonah and the bots just couldn't figure out a way to make it fun. Whereas the other two episodes I saw, Cry WILDERNESS! and The Time Travelers, gave them ample opportunity for some truly beautiful riffing. Some of the modern references are jarring at first, but then they'll hit on something perfect, and it feels fine again (like an exquisitely timed Bitcoin joke).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I found out that Amazon had rifftrax and that was it for MST3K 2 for me. Bill/Mike/Kevin is my favorite lineup anyway and no lame sketches? Way better. I like Jonah alright and the dude that does Crow is fine, but the Tom guy is just not good.

Incidentally 3k or Rifftrax are ideal for before sleep viewing. You can quit watching any time and you don't really have to pay close attention when you’re tired and stoned

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There are probably triple digit numbers of mst3k/rifftrax episodes I've literally never seen the last 30 minutes of for that very reason

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Yeah, if I’m not falling asleep to MST3K (4 times out of 5), I’m falling asleep to Retsuprae, Rifftrax, or TieTuesday videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Spatula City posted:

Really late on this, but finally decided to bite the bullet and start watching MST3K: The Return.

and....it's good. It's good because it mostly doesn't reinvent the wheel. It's different, but primarily in the way the Mike era was different from the Joel era. Well, and having a bit bigger of a budget, clearly, but they've clearly taken pains to give everything the same lo-fi aesthetic.
The first episode was weak, but more because Reptilicus is terminally boring, and Jonah and the bots just couldn't figure out a way to make it fun. Whereas the other two episodes I saw, Cry WILDERNESS! and The Time Travelers, gave them ample opportunity for some truly beautiful riffing. Some of the modern references are jarring at first, but then they'll hit on something perfect, and it feels fine again (like an exquisitely timed Bitcoin joke).

Obligatory musical link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6-4ssFHryM