Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Me: I wonder what the dude from Isis got up to *listens to Sumac for the first time*

Me again: :aaaaa:

Sorry if this doesn’t fit the thread the main metal thread people never seem to give a poo poo so I figured it was the wrong place.
I, too, have wondered what the dude from Isis was up to for years now. I knew some of the members went on to form Palms with Chino from Deftones, and while I loved that, that was short-lived and Aaron Turner wasn't a part of that. I'd never heard Sumac, so I'm listening to The Deal now and :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
he had a short hardcore punk side project with a bunch of finnish dudes from circle & other bands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx2qKqJUAWQ

pretty underwhelming i guess

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Well well well, this looks to be one disturbingly erotic post

Dyna Soar posted:

yeah? i like keiji haino, haven't checked out sumac cos isis sucked rear end. might have to when the collab comes out

Can't say I agree, but honestly Sumac sounds nothing like Isis. Definitely worth checking out IMO. New record comes out tomorrow, but they put out a trailer if you want just a taste.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Isis have pretty close to a perfect discography IMO.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Isis are simultaneously very good and extremely overrated

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I wish I still had my Isis shirt that I bought at their show with Pelican in 2009 so I could wear it in public and get horrified looks from people because they'd think I was wearing a shirt supporting a terrorist organization

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I'm slightly biased because Oceanic was the album that got me past my (then) dislike of harsh vocals, but I do genuinely love their work. They're not the most fun band though, so I can understand why other people might not like them so much.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

il_cornuto posted:

I'm slightly biased because Oceanic was the album that got me past my (then) dislike of harsh vocals, but I do genuinely love their work. They're not the most fun band though, so I can understand why other people might not like them so much.

they're just a boring neurosis worship, basically. then again i dislike all of that post metal stuff that's basically just boring neurosis worship.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

they're just a boring neurosis worship, basically. then again i dislike all of that post metal stuff that's basically just boring neurosis worship.

They're not that similar to Neurosis honestly. A lot more post-rocky and less into having huge heavy moments.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Remember the time Mark wore a Neurosis shirt on Home Improvement?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

Isis are simultaneously very good and extremely overrated

Not a big fan of their Syrian work

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Remember the time Mark wore a Neurosis shirt on Home Improvement?

I would read an entire book about how tv writers and set designers put together teens' implied music taste

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

They're not that similar to Neurosis honestly. A lot more post-rocky and less into having huge heavy moments.

come on dude, they are 100% similar to some neurosis albums, like times of grace and a sun that never sets. neurosis wrote the book that those guys obsessively studied before starting isis.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

The only Neurosis albums I've listened to much are Through Silver in Blood and Neurosis & Jarboe, the rest aren't bad but never really clicked for me. Isis are definitely influenced by them, just as Neurosis were influenced by Swans, but each add their own twist - I'd never confuse one band's songs for any of the others. There's a reason Cult of Luna used to be called Isis clones and not Neurosis clones.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
listen so Souls at Zero you loving nerds

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
iirc they and a lot of the post metal bands in the early 2000's were called neurisis clones, hah

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
here's my ratings:

Pain of Mind 3/5
The Word as Law 3,5/5
Souls at Zero 4/5
Enemy of the Sun 5/5
Through Silver in Blood 5/5
Times of Grace 4,5/5
A Sun That Never Sets 4/5
Neurosis & Jarboe 3,5/5
The Eye of Every Storm 4/5
Given to the Rising 3/5

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

I wish I still had my Isis shirt that I bought at their show with Pelican in 2009 so I could wear it in public and get horrified looks from people because they'd think I was wearing a shirt supporting a terrorist organization

Once, when I worked helpdesk, I had a guy calling to have his password reset, and I noticed the answer to his security question "Who is your favorite musician or band" was Isis, so I just had to ask that one. He seemed kind of embarassed - until I told him that I had most of their albums.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy gently caress, the drums on Sumac's Blackout (I) :staredog:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

come on dude, they are 100% similar to some neurosis albums, like times of grace and a sun that never sets. neurosis wrote the book that those guys obsessively studied before starting isis.

They're obviously influenced but they're distinctively different sounding.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Not strictly a doom thing, but Migration Fest tickets are on sale now and I'm real excited to peep this beast. Stoked to see Mizmor.
http://migrationfest.com/index.php/bands/

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Second album from Leechfeast album finally coming out at the end of next month (their first was back in 2012). Slovenian sludge with a doom infusion, nasty, slow, and rough-edged. Good poo poo.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Is there anyone in or near Eugene, Oregon here? I have two tickets to tomorrow's Yob show at Wow Hall and I can't make it. If someone wants them, speak up and we can arrange something.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
It's horribly morbid, but when I see this thread has 20 new replies, I immediately think that someone from the genre died :(

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Holy gently caress, the drums on Sumac's Blackout (I) :staredog:

Nick is a madman behind the kit. Baptists don't really fit this thread, but check this poo poo out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovHYSWYpQCs

"I think he made a mistake once when he was 7."

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I just came here to post about him. With all this Isis/Sumac talk it's easy to overlook the drummer from Baptists, a band that's been burning white hot.

edit: literally everyone in this thread loves Baptists, I'll bet the farm on it.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

edit: literally everyone in this thread loves Baptists, I'll bet the farm on it.

I'd never listened to them before but hell yeah this is great

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
here's a couple of great local sludge bands:

https://tasersludge.bandcamp.com/
https://slavehands.bandcamp.com/album/world-rid-of-all-living-2

sounds like: grief, toadliquor, corrupted, eyehategod, old cavity etc. true filth.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I just came here to post about him. With all this Isis/Sumac talk it's easy to overlook the drummer from Baptists, a band that's been burning white hot.

They’re alright

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
Stolen from the metal thread:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Craptists.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

OpaqueEcho posted:

Came here to post this. loving epic. I’ve never been to Vegas maybe time to change that.

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Trabant posted:

It's horribly morbid, but when I see this thread has 20 new replies, I immediately think that someone from the genre died :(

OR someone mentioned earplugs :lol:

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

OpaqueEcho posted:

Oh yes

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OpaqueEcho posted:

Those headliners seem really out of place but that's a hell of a lineup otherwise.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

I only just saw it so I haven't listened to it yet, but the Sumac/Keiji Haino collab is out.
https://sumac.bandcamp.com/album/american-dollar-bill-keep-facing-sideways-youre-too-hideous-to-look-at-face-on

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Detective Thompson posted:

I only just saw it so I haven't listened to it yet, but the Sumac/Keiji Haino collab is out.
https://sumac.bandcamp.com/album/american-dollar-bill-keep-facing-sideways-youre-too-hideous-to-look-at-face-on

Holy sweet gently caress this is intense

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

this is a lot to take in

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman
Not sure if these guys been mentioned https://elephanttreeband.bandcamp.com/album/elephant-tree
think they showed up in my spotify discovery a while back

Also been really into King Buffalo lately. Good stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VELOUR SPACESUIT
Feb 4, 2008

Waiting to listen to my vinyl copy (drat you, usps!), but oh man I'm so hyped for this.