Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

projecthalaxy posted:

Was the nyt always this bad? Like they've been around forever, were there op eds in the 40s about how actually maybe the Jews deserved it?

The NYT was one of the main peddlers of the WMDs in Iraq myth lol

They've always been bad but now they're getting extra attention because of twitter and the fact that trump started talking poo poo about them so liberals jumped to their defense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

the NYT is an american institution and like all american institutions it loving sucks

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

this is an oft-quoted bit from their first feature on hitler in 1922

quote:

He is credibly credited with being actuated by lofty, unselfish patriotism. He probably does not know himself just what he wants to accomplish. The keynote of his propaganda in speaking and writing is violent anti-Semitism. His followers are nicknamed the "Hakenkreuzler." So violent are Hitler's fulminations against the Jews that a number of prominent Jewish citizens are reported to have sought safe asylums in the Bavarian highlands, easily reached by fast motor cars, whence they could hurry their women and children when forewarned of an anti-Semitic St. Bartholomew's night.

But several reliable, well-informed sources confirmed the idea that Hitler's anti-Semitism was not so genuine or violent as it sounded, and that he was merely using anti-Semitic propaganda as a bait to catch masses of followers and keep them aroused, enthusiastic, and in line for the time when his organization is perfected and sufficiently powerful to be employed effectively for political purposes.

A sophisticated politician credited Hitler with peculiar political cleverness for laying emphasis and over-emphasis on anti-Semitism, saying: "You can't expect the masses to understand or appreciate your finer real aims. You must feed the masses with cruder morsels and ideas like anti-Semitism. It would be politically all wrong to tell them the truth about where you really are leading them."

e: also there was the whole pushing the WMD lie. there has not been a single american war they didnt find themselves endorsing despite supposedly being liberals

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
https://twitter.com/nytmedia/status/966382930888200192

nyt exec: phew. nailed it. relaly nipped that backlash in the bud

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/21/opinion/billy-graham-nonpartisan-evangelical.html

only the best opinions from the grey lady.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

Was the nyt always this bad? Like they've been around forever, were there op eds in the 40s about how actually maybe the Jews deserved it?

I'm loving positive they wrote the same poo poo about the Bund in 1935 as they write about the Nazis next door today

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

''You could have read the front page of The New York Times in 1939 and 1940,'' she wrote, ''without knowing that millions of Jews were being sent to Poland, imprisoned in ghettos, and dying of disease and starvation by the tens of thousands. You could have read the front page in 1941 without knowing that the Nazis were machine-gunning hundreds of thousands of Jews in the Soviet Union.

''You could have read the front page in 1942 and not have known, until the last month, that the Germans were carrying out a plan to annihilate European Jewry. In 1943, you would have been told once that Jews from France, Belgium and the Netherlands were being sent to slaughterhouses in Poland and that more than half of the Jews of Europe were dead, but only in the context of a single story on a rally by Jewish groups that devoted more space to who had spoken than to who had died.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/14/news/150th-anniversary-1851-2001-turning-away-from-the-holocaust.html

this is a pretty special article, the nytimes criticizing itself as being insufficiently zionist in the 1940s. like some sort of recursive failure.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I also strongly recommend Jim Risen recounting of all the pressures he would face to sit on stories that would deal with national security or question the official narrative.

https://theintercept.com/2018/01/03/my-life-as-a-new-york-times-reporter-in-the-shadow-of-the-war-on-terror/

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ah yes, the millionaire megachurch pastor who said Nixon was endowed with "supernatural wisdom" by God, who said AIDS was a "judgement of God" against homosexuals, and who enthusiastically supported the Vietnam war and urged the administration to commit war crimes that even Kissinger thought was over the top. truly a model of nonpartisanship

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

ah yes, the millionaire megachurch pastor who said Nixon was endowed with "supernatural wisdom" by God, who said AIDS was a "judgement of God" against homosexuals, and who enthusiastically supported the Vietnam war and urged the administration to commit war crimes that even Kissinger thought was over the top. truly a model of nonpartisanship

nonpartisan of course means that carter, bill clinton, and obama were all ok with him because either they didnt care about any of that or didnt think making a fuss about it was worth the trouble

Dom is Here
Nov 11, 2016

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

In 1876, for example, the New York Times published an alleged true interview with the Chinese operator of a local opium den. The story has the reporter asking the "Chinaman" about the "handsome but squalidly dressed young white girl" he sees in the opium den. The "Chinaman" allegedly answers: "Oh, hard times in New York. Young girl hungry. Plenty come here. Chinaman always have something to eat, and he like young white girl, He! He!"

Centuries of failure

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Shear Modulus posted:

nonpartisan of course means that carter, bill clinton, and obama were all ok with him because either they didnt care about any of that or didnt think making a fuss about it was worth the trouble

Where does LBJ fit into this? :ohdear:

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

an actual dog posted:

the NYT is an american institution and like all american institutions it loving sucks

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I guess my take would be that the NYT is now, and has been for a long while, establishment neoliberalism. Left-wing in the sense that it approves of good governance and decorum, where good governance is failed economic/foreign policy theory and politics, and decorum is "Try to be less Trump-like than that."

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
The times is fine and good, yall are just whining about their editorial page which has always been full of dumb takes?

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Congrats on drawing in some more ad dollars to Bari Weiss tho

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mercrom posted:

Yeah I don't think lay people should try to question the findings of scientists. That's what peer review is for. What you are describing is mostly a mathematical problem and is something that should be able to be put into a hypothesis, tested and peer reviewed. If that's been done, he is indeed wrong.

The science to show such a link doesn't really exist, because we don't have any sort of reliable/accurate model for how things like intelligence/behavior (which are hard to define in the first place) are linked with genes. But what we do know makes it exceedingly unlikely that such a link exists across population groups (at least to an extent that wouldn't be completely negligible). Unlike some other traits, everything we know shows that a trait like intelligence is contributed to by a huge variety of genetic factors (as opposed to having a small number that have a disproportionate impact), so you can logically conclude that populations that only differ slightly on a genetic level won't show any difference in that trait (as opposed to a trait that is only determined by a single or handful of genes, in which case the genetic difference between populations might actually have an impact - see: disease susceptibility).

So I guess what I'm getting at is that it's not just a "we don't know yet" thing, but rather a "this is exceedingly unlikely" situation. It's sort of like if someone said "but can you disprove psychics exist??" in response to people denying their existence. Like, yeah, you can't, but there is nothing indicating they do, so it makes sense to assume they don't unless something randomly pops up. Though this situation is even worse in a way, because we actually do know some stuff pointing towards such a link either not existing or being negligible (plus all the nasty social issues associated with trying to draw a link between ethnicity and intelligence/behavior).

(The main reason I harp on this is that it's the sort of thing that could actually make sense to a reasonably intelligent layperson; "ethnic differences have a biological source, and intelligence is influenced by biology" would normally lead one to the conclusion that ethnic groups might differ in that area if they weren't aware of some of the specific details.)

edit: If anyone who knows more wants to comment or correct something, they're welcome to do so. I'm basically a mostly-layperson myself on the subject; I work with geneticists and have a stronger background than your average science-interested layperson as a result, but not at the level of an actual geneticist obviously.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 04:42 on Feb 22, 2018

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

William Blum's Killing Hope is filled with references to the New York Time spreading lies and smearing others throughout the cold war to promote america's terrible foreign policy

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/21/opinion/boys-violence-shootings-guns.html

quote:

To be clear, most men will never turn violent. Most men will turn out fine. ... We will probably never understand why any one young man decides to end the lives of others. But we can see at least one pattern and that pattern is glaringly obvious. It’s boys.

Case in point: A few days ago, I posted a brief thread about these thoughts on Twitter, knowing I would receive hateful replies in response. I got dozens of messages impugning my manhood; the mildest of them called me a “soy boy.”

somehow this is stupider than any of the crap that was said after columbine.

GoluboiOgon has issued a correction as of 04:35 on Feb 22, 2018

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

LinYutang posted:

The times is fine and good, yall are just whining about their editorial page which has always been full of dumb takes?

of the three recent articles people are talking about on this page only one is from the opinion section. the other ones are one where the times "truth is in the middled" about false flag crisis actor conspiracy theories about the parkdale shooting and one where a longtime reporter told his story of how the times' editors sat on the bush warrantless wiretapping story for over a year (at the request of the same bush administration that was violating the constitution) and only published it when another paper was going to scoop them

LinYutang posted:

i browse the nyt with adblock on

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

LinYutang posted:

its loving trash actually.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

LinYutang posted:

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. When someone says "mungo gently caress" to Bari Weiss two Atlantic articles get written about it. People in power listen to these assholes, their actions are justified by these assholes, I don't understand how a few randos ignoring them makes them less powerful.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 26 days!)

GoluboiOgon posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/21/opinion/boys-violence-shootings-guns.html

somehow this is stupider than any of the crap that was said after columbine.

*after a string of mass shooters who are all incel chuds*

ah well boys will be boys i guess

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

LinYutang posted:

lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

*after a string of mass shooters who are all incel chuds*

ah well boys will be boys i guess

can't wait for the article blaming women for not having sex with them

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jose posted:

can't wait for the article blaming women for not having sex with them

the nytimes will become the first print medium to use the term "roastie" unironically.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

more ink spent on the truly important issues of our time

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/966695078105370626

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Glad to see the NYT defending free speech by demanding that the proles shouldn't get to voice their opinions.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

LinYutang posted:

maybe the editorial page will publish this post then

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
not the times but bloomberg is close enough

https://twitter.com/Trillburne/status/966519225476100097

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Glad to see the NYT defending free speech by demanding that the proles shouldn't get to voice their opinions.

only pundits and columnists have earned the privilege to have opinions and render judgment

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

the only comfort that matters is the comfort of cowardly eugenics-loving NYT columnists duh

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lmao i didn’t read he column bc i didn’t wanna give him a click but it’s another time he’s just using text of a speech he gave holy poo poo he gets so much money for this bullshit

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/966695049948999681

edit: lol and nocera leaping to his defense, what a worm

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/966718853156884481
https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/966721034899677184
https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/966723681824190464

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

a string of mass shooters who are all incel chuds

Is that not the "problem with boys" he's referring to? Angry teenage boys getting drawn into incel chudhood is the exact masculine toxicity he's describing.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
its cool that the school shooting at my wife's middle school was done by a woman

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

mastershakeman posted:

its cool that the school shooting at my wife's middle school was done by a woman

did we ever hear more info on whether that girl or her parents were nazis

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

That's actually an important issue though. Of course that guy isn't exactly capable of handling that issue, because the NYT editorial board is trash..

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

it's absolutely not an issue because nobody at the NYT except the actual nazi they hired has ever faced consequences for a social media frenzy
they're just annoyed that the proles can reach up and touch them now

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
They really are the purest example of coastal elitists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Mushy Rubio

Edit: wrong thread