Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

hyphz posted:

I do not actually see any aspect of the rules which checks the "compellingness" of a situation before it is introduced
you don't see this because this is a thing humans do automatically without being told

good god man are you an actual robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hyphz posted:

I’m playing a guy who’s supposed to be the group badass. The guy with the knife is blocking our only exit. I roll, it’s Risky/Moderate or whatever, and get a fail forward. I win but get cut with the poison blade. Now, the group needs to get me an antidote. The upgrades they were planning to spend their money on and the next session where they would investigate the lead on the enemy conspiracy which is fascinating all the players are now all postponed in favour of wandering around looking for doctors.

The players are pissed off. And yea, I might keep quiet out of politeness, but I’d want to ask, “why you have to give that guy poison? He could still have fought me with a regular knife but the consequences wouldn’t have buggered the pacing.”

The point is, you're supposed to tell the players "he has a poison knife, and if you get fuckin' stabbed, you're going to get poisoned"

If the players roll, and they still fail, and they still get stabbed, and they then have to find a cure for a poison, they're not supposed to resent having to look for an antidote because they knew this was coming.

To pull your TV show analogy, it wouldn't be "hacky" for episode 4 to be all about finding a cure just because episode 3 ended with the hero getting stabbed, because episode 2's subplot definitely showed the poison being prepared, and it was definitely covered in the episode 3 recap, and there was definitely a CGI slow-mo zoom-in of the poison dripping from the blade during the fight.

The answer to question of "how will the players know not to blame me" is "I inform them of the stakes at all times, such that there is never a time when they will roll the dice without knowing the consequences of a failed roll"

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Yawgmoth posted:

you don't see this because this is a thing humans do automatically without being told

good god man are you an actual robot

Right, but Vincent's claim above was that it was the ability to introduce unwelcome material that was nonetheless compelling to be the advantage of playing with rules as against playing freeform. That implies he thinks humans wouldn't do it automatically without rules (because if they could, it could be done just as well in freeform).

gradenko_2000 posted:

The point is, you're supposed to tell the players "he has a poison knife, and if you get fuckin' stabbed, you're going to get poisoned"

If the players roll, and they still fail, and they still get stabbed, and they then have to find a cure for a poison, they're not supposed to resent having to look for an antidote because they knew this was coming.

I don't see that alone changes things. They knew it was coming, but could they do anything about it? If they had an opportunity to not fight the guy with the knife or to insulate themselves against the poison in advance then yes that seems totally fair, but if it's just "you see a guy and you have to fight him and hey he has a poisoned knife" that doesn't seem to improve things. Also, the effect of the poison could be anything from a 10-session quest to find a cure to a Con save and a shrug, and the players may still resent which of those it turns out to be.

If the poison was heavily foreshadowed as a major plot point as you describe then that's all fine and the search for a cure would be anticipated. But if it's just some dude they're fighting while on the way to do something else and the poison hasn't been a plot focus then for it to suddenly take over is rather jarring, especially if they also know that it was only a pip on a dice that made the difference. But even if it's done that way, the players can still end up getting substantial fail-forwards on things that weren't foreshadowed in that way - like, you foreshadow the poison, and then a PC screws up and rolls a major fail-forward on a horse riding roll on the way to fight the guy and suddenly the plot changes to searching the desert for a lost horse before their supplies run out, and all the foreshadowing about the poison looks jarringly out of place.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I think I'd like to see hyphz in a lit class for like ten minutes before I pulled out all my hair and burst from the classroom like the Kool-Aid man.

Like, you don't even need to play AW. Just watch an episode of Buffy or something. You're dangerously close to being grognards.txt material.

Do you, like, read? Real books. Or at least vaguely.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hyphz posted:

I don't see that alone changes things. They knew it was coming, but could they do anything about it? If they had an opportunity to not fight the guy with the knife or to insulate themselves against the poison in advance then yes that seems totally fair, but if it's just "you see a guy and you have to fight him and hey he has a poisoned knife" that doesn't seem to improve things. Also, the effect of the poison could be anything from a 10-session quest to find a cure to a Con save and a shrug, and the players may still resent which of those it turns out to be.

I don't know, you tell me. How did you set the stage? I mean, even if you create a scenario where they absolutely have to get past Poison McDaggerface to get to the button that will halt the end of the world, it's also up to you to present them with options that'd allow them to mitigate the danger.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

hyphz posted:

As has been outlined in previous posts, in AW there is never ever going to be a situation like the one you're describing. You will never find yourself up against a poisoned knife man in such a way that there is no way out except to get stabbed with the poisoned knife and get poisoned. If you run into a poisoned knife man there are like a dozen ways to get out of that situation at all times. Even if you do get poisoned, the result of getting poisoned is never going to take more than a couple of scenes to resolve. The same is true on the GM side, where as the GM there is just no reason why you would ever create that situation in the first place and if you did you would not be following the rules, which clearly outline why this situation is impossible.

If you have in fact read AW, please explain how this crazy poisoned knife scenario could happen mechanically.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Once their was an old Cuban fisherman named Santiago. He caught a fish every time he went out. One night, he had a very productive and pleasant evening discussing American baseball, which was in no way symbolic. The next morning, he went out to sea, where he was an old man, and there was a sea. There were also fish. He caught a very large marlin the first time he dropped in his line. Santiago brought the fish back to port completely intact, and sold it for quite a pretty penny.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Holy fuckin poo poo are we seriously going to have this out again?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

grassy gnoll posted:

Once their was an old Cuban fisherman named Santiago. He caught a fish every time he went out. One night, he had a very productive and pleasant evening discussing American baseball, which was in no way symbolic. The next morning, he went out to sea, where he was an old man, and there was a sea. There were also fish. He caught a very large marlin the first time he dropped in his line. Santiago brought the fish back to port completely intact, and sold it for quite a pretty penny.

:golfclap:

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I mean gotta do something right

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Kai Tave posted:

it feels like the RPG equivalent of a 0.999... = 1 discussion

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

it feels like the RPG equivalent of a 0.999... = 1 discussion

So guys when the party meets at a tavern, how much do you tip the bartender?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I mean good on you all for gratifying the sadomasochistic fetishes of a dude denser than depleted uranium.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

What weapon do I get for my Buster Arm if I beat Poison Knife Man? Also do I get a new Rush mode?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

I fuckin hate Hemingway.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

gradenko_2000 posted:

With a white and gold dress.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

hyphz posted:

I mean, I do not actually see any aspect of the rules which checks the "compellingness" of a situation before it is introduced, and if you argue that the GM is supposed to do this as part of the Principles, then it seems to be something that could be done in freeform as well.

For the fourth time, please point to the mechanics in another RPG the do this for you. You keep arguing that AW is missing rules for this, but you've never given an example of a rule does what you want. If you can explain what kind of mechanic is missing, maybe the thread can offer an explanation for how AW handles it; otherwise everyone is just guessing what you want.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Arivia posted:

I fuckin hate Hemingway.

I thought Farewell to Arms was actually pretty good, but I'm mostly in the same boat. How about :

There once was a man named Oedipus Rex,
You probl'y haven't heard about his odd complex,
Since his name doesn't appear in Freud's index,
Because he loved his mother in a completely appropriate way and his life was uneventful and he acted completely without hubris.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
For sale: RPG, never read.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

thefakenews posted:

For the fourth time
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

grassy gnoll posted:

I thought Farewell to Arms was actually pretty good, but I'm mostly in the same boat. How about :

Because he loved his mother in a completely appropriate way and his life was uneventful and he acted completely without hubris.

Clap clap clap. Bravo!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

That's like every WotC and Paizo product ever. If you're buying AW you're reading it unless you're the Pundit or Trollman.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
each turn, derek the fighter makes a double move action to move 12 squares in one direction. he is standing on a carpet of rats, which moves 12 squares in the opposite direction each turn,

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

grassy gnoll posted:

A Modest Proposal

People should be paid a living wage.

Kai Tave posted:

:drat:

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

FMguru posted:

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."

:ssh: I'm not expecting different results...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Whatever I feel reflects the quality of the service, because the bartender is paid a liveable minimim wage.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

Dennis: battlebabe
Mac: gunlugger
Charlie: marmot

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

gradenko_2000 posted:

I put a stack of coins in front me, sorted by value, with platinum on the top and copper on the bottom. Every time I get bad service, I look him in the eye and take the top coin off the stack and put it back in my pouch.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Dennis really seems to be leaning on his "Because of the Implication..." move.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Have you ever considered that your fear of not running a game based on an prefab adventure with an encyclopedic index of what-if responses to every situation, your perception of every human interaction ultimately being about being the best at applying emotional abuse and manipulation to come out ahead, and your inability to grasp basic principles of collaboration and support in PBTA games might be linked in an uncomfortable and personally-revealing way?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Kai Tave posted:

Nice.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Kai Tave posted:

:perfect:

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is a fantasy. We don't need to include bullshit like racism, sexism, or tipping in our make-believe.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Kai Tave posted:

https://twitter.com/EricVulgaris/status/937937244580483072

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Inescapable Duck posted:

Source your quotes

Here's the biggest example: https://www.gamesradar.com/star-tre...need-right-now/.

Which I think is an awful take because when Star Trek first aired the Vietnam War was ongoing and JFK was killed only a couple of years before, and everyone was terrified of mutual nuclear annihilation, which I'd have to think is significantly more traumatic than having a bad President in office.

The other bit was just paraphrased online slapfights with the basic premise of "you Star Trek fans are just calling Discovery poo poo because you're threatened by a woman of color as a protagonist."

I do mean it when I say that Warhammer 40,000 is better though, and not just because of all the pedophiles who happen to be Trekkies!

Star Trek posted:

Alien: "I WILL SKULL gently caress YOU"
A Federation Person: "Hrm, this tendency towards skullfucking is evidence of a primitive and savage culture. However, I will not presume to judge your violent impulses, as we are separated by both different environments and biologies. I will tolerate your skullfucking ways in accordance with the Prime Directive, in the hopes that together we may move together to a future where more skulls will go unfucked.

Warhammer 40K posted:

Alien: "I WILL SKULL gently caress YOU"
Imperial Guardsman: "NOT IF I SKULL gently caress YOU FIRST, XENO SCUM"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
following this thread's glowing recommendations i'm now watching Discovery. it's good.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

This is a fantasy. We don't need to include bullshit like racism, sexism, or tipping in our make-believe.

Tipping would lead to a bigger more complicated system than Phoenix Command. Way way too much man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

following this thread's glowing recommendations i'm now watching Discovery. it's good.

my condolences

(realtalk it gets watchable somewhere around the halfway point)