Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Those costumes really are awful.

e: Arcanist writeup on the last page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yeah, that's...special.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Like I said, possibly the only Job that outdoes even Ranger at looking dorky as all hell in cutscenes.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Arcanist is in Final Fantasy XIV, as a note, but it's just a beginner version of Summoner. I don't think the Arcanist role has been consistently defined throughout FF.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Dang when you said bm supplement you weren't kidding. Half those skills only work with a black mage secondary...

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

FF Tactics A2 also has Arcanists and they're uh. Awful. But that's another thread.

Really in Final Fantasy at large Arcanist is either bad or irrelevant, as far as I can tell.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

FoolyCharged posted:

Dang when you said bm supplement you weren't kidding. Half those skills only work with a black mage secondary...
The status effect skills also combine with Salve-Maker, who can use Compounding/Turn Toxic to inflict status effects.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, Arcanist's big gimmick is that they're by far the most efficient group-attack job in the game, which... Doesn't really count for much when Osmose is fine for replenishing yourself outside of undead-infested dungeons. And if undead are immune to status ailments or healed by dark damage (it's been forever since I played, I can't remember), then even that overly niche advantage is nulled.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Bosses turn out to be surprisingly vulnerable to poison so I took a good liking to the Arcanist and Exterminate.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

MonsterEnvy posted:

Bosses turn out to be surprisingly vulnerable to poison so I took a good liking to the Arcanist and Exterminate.

I'll be showing a demonstration of this. Arcanist may not be the most overpowered job, but it does have moments where it shines.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I can forgive a job this late in the game for wanting a specific secondary.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 72: The Bloodied Legacy of Braev Lee

Trapped in her childhood prison, Edea reflects.

"Why doesn't he get my murderous rampage is more justified than his?"

Right, all ready. It's quite a way to the dungeon, but I'll manage.

She runs offscreen.

Hrngh...!

There's a sound of a door creaking open and closing. Then, silence.

Some time later...

Alternis runs into the conference room panicked and out of breath.

Forgive me, Lord Marshal! Is Edea here with you?

No, she is not. She was supposed to be confined to her chambers.

Yes, Lord Marshal, she was...but she suddenly disappeared.

What's this? Were not the sentries vigilant?

They claim never to have stepped from their post. Her chamber door was never opened.

Then how could she have...

Ah, her father's daughter, indeed. She acts from the same sentiments; those sentiments you once held for the Crystal Orthodoxy.

How could you know that? Have you not been away from this land these fifteen years?

Was it not you who drove me to exile? Well, be that as it may.

Just an interesting sidenote, Edea was 15 in the Japanese version. Several other events in Eternia happened 15 years ago as well. In either case, Edea's young enough to not remember Eternia's past.

DeRosso continues rubbing the whole immortality thing in Braev's face.

So it is I can understand what both father and daughter are thinking, simply by watching.

......*sigh*

DeRosso joins the list of Eternians asking for plot exposition.

Crystalism, Anticrystalism... The quarrel between you and your daughter is but a proxy for that clash of ideas.

Open your heart before it is too late. The very future of this world hangs in the balance.

You truly have not changed, have you?

Is that so? Well, you must forgive me. But lest you forget, it was you who appointed me archduke.

A short time earlier...

Edea jumps out of a dusty secret passage and into the prison basement, 50 floors below her bedroom. She hasn't done all that battle training for nothing.

*cough cough cough*

No one had used that secret passage in a while, which makes sense considering even Braev and Alternis didn't know about it.

...I know the dungeon key is around here somewhere.

She looks around, spotting a rusty old key on the nearby table. Someone's going to get fired from guard duty.

Found it! Now to free everyone.

Meanwhile, just before Edea's arrival...

Fit as a fiddle.

I am unharmed as well!

Augh, rude! What's the big idea, leaving me out!?

Ahh, sorry!

...Wait! Edea isn't here!

What!? Where is she, then!?

Think about it. This is her home. She has friends here. Family. Right about now, she--

You can't think this was all a trap!?

Edea is not the sort of person to commit such deception. I will not believe it!

She's right, me neither!

And me least of all! I'm saying she's in more danger than all of us! We're only enemies of the state...

What, and Edea isn't!?

With her, it's personal! She betrayed them, Tiz! People here must bear a grudge against her!

So you suspect she is bieng subject to an especially cruel punishment!?

Ringabel, your journal! What does it say? Anything about getting out of here!?

I'll have a look...

Rrgh, no luck! I suppose even miraculous tomes have their limits.

Then let us send Airy as a scout.

What? Airy as a what, now?

You can pass between these bars. Please, go and have a look around the area.

Nice thinking, Agnès! She may be able to track down the cell keys!

But...but what if someone sees me!?

Do you think I can just muscle through like you all? Do you see any muscle on me? At all!?

If we all remain here, we'll get no closer to the Earth Crystal.

Or to Edea! At least see if she's being held here in the dungeons or not!

Oh, fine... You want me to go, I'll go. Wouldn't want Edea harmed...

Not that anyone cares what happens to ME. *sniff*

[img]https://lpix.org/2703269/agnes_happy.png[img][/img] Thank you, Airy. I shall be praying to my pendant for your safe return.

I expect I'll need it. Anyway, here goes nothing...

Shh! Wait! I hear something!

Eeek! What do I do!? Someone's coming! I've got to hide! Gotta hide!

What's with all the noise? I could hear you guys from outside.

That voice--Edea!

Sorry to keep you waiting! I found the keys to this place.

I'm just glad to see you're safe!

The four heroes, reunited! Now to rescue them before Alternis and Braev think to check on the prisoners.

As you might have noticed from the above conversation, the three others are being held in different cells. They can be rescued in whichever order you choose. The entrance to these cells are indicated by the open-ended paths on the map at the moment.

Edea's bestie Agnès is first.

[img]https://lpix.org/2703269/agnes_happy.png[img][/img] I am now that you're here, Edea. I'm glad to see that you are safe and sound, too.

Me?

Well, the Eternian Forces do view you as a traitor to your homeland.

I feared they'd have some unspeakable punishment awaiting you.

You needn't worry about that, ha ha.

My father is not so draconian as that.

And yet...on second thought...

At least no harm has come to you.

I'd like to thank you, too, Edea. You saved me from having to search this entire dungeon.

Airy, do you think you could've carried this key around? You're so little, after all.

It does look really heavy. I'd rather not think about lugging that about.

There's nothing to worry about now that I'm here.

Well, I better lead the way. With your poor sense of direction, Agnès, who knows where we'd end up?

Now hold on! My sense of direction has improved, at least somewhat.

Isn't that simply a matter of having Airy and Tiz lead the way?

Well, that may be, but...

Ha ha ha. Don't take it so hard. Now, come on, follow me!

If you say so.

Once Edea rescues Agnès, Airy rejoins as well.

Edea's other bestie, Tiz, is next.

Tiz, for the sake of your dignity, you'll get a new outfit almost as soon as possible.

You're quite welcome! But it was really nothing.

After all, I was raised within Central Command's walls. I know every nook and cranny.

Were you able to speak with your father?

Huh? Wh-what does it matter to you?

You have family you can talk to. You ought to, you know.

You would forgive my father? Grand Marshal of Eternian Forces, head councilor of the Council of Six?

You've seen how much Agnès has suffered because of my father's orders.

True enough, but...

You need not worry about me. We need to focus on awakening the Earth Crystal.

Alright.

As they walk on, Edea and Tiz briefly leave Agnès to go scout ahead.

Hey, Tiz...

Tiz, how do you feel about Agnès? Be honest!

Wha-- Whoa! Wh-where is this coming from!?

Never mind. It's written on your face.

My face? And hey, keep it down, would you!?

Don't worry, she can't hear us from here.

And you can't keep hiding your feelings, anyway. Go tell her.

Tell her you like her.

What!? No, I don't... Well, I mean, I... The crystals come first! This is no time to be--

Heh, I didn't mean right this second. Some time, when it's just you two.

You tell her, take her hand, and walk your path together, side by side. I mean it, Tiz. You're not going to find anyone else like her if you pass this up.

Not ever! Never ever ever!

Look, would you please keep it down!?

They've had their rough moments, but these three have become fire-forged friends.

You can attempt to leave the prison at any time, but Edea refuses to leave without her friends, and also Ringabel.

Why wouldn't I be? I mean, I knew you'd come. All I had to do is sit back and wait. And, well, here you are! I'm the luckiest man alive.

You're my savior, my goddess! Let me thank you with a big kiss!

Ringabel moves towards Edea...

...And promptly backs away when she gives him a death glare.

Ringabel, are you coming or not? I can leave you here.

O-of course, let's go...

Before the two return to Tiz and Agnès, Ringabel strikes up another conversation.

And a gentleman always pays his debts. Debts to ladies, I repay tenfold!

Ugh, here he goes. It's always this!

If you would have me do something else, milady needs but ask.

Alright then, Ringabel, how about you go out with me!?

...!?

Er, that's very, um... M-might I ask what provoked that?

If you were my boyfriend, where would you take me? Where is tonight's date?

T-tonight!? Er, let me see. I need time to prepare a--

All this time, and you never once stopped to think what to do with me if I ever said yes!?

W-well, you see...

Pffft, ha ha ha! I'm only teasing you!

You can dish it out, but you can't take it at all! Oh, but this is useful information.

Wha--!?

You've been treating Tiz like a little brother this whole time. And every time you get the chance, you tease poor Agnès.

So... Who do I tell this to first?

...Is neither an option? I vote neither.

Then you owe me twice the hush money!

Ah ha ha...

Chapter 4's big reveal: Ringabel is a smooth operator who is neither smooth nor operates much.

One of the cells can't be unlocked using the key we have. Taking hidden passages around to the inside lets us get whatever piece of junk the last prisoner left behind.

"Whoso pulleth out this sword of this stone and anvil, is rightwise King born of all England." King Arthur is a hero of the British Isles, most famous nowadays for wielding the legendary sword Excalibur.

Depending on the adaptation, Excalibur is either the forementioned sword in the stone or Arthur's second sword, given to him during his reign by the fairy/sorceress Lady of the Lake. The sword and its sheath are both magical; the sword essentially being a holy weapon and the sheath healing wounds taken by the swordbearer.

Now that the party's regrouped, we can get out of here.

There's one more prison floor to get through. Apparently Eternia heard the legend of the minotaur's labyrinth and said "hey, we've got a bit of room for that in the basement."

There's a cast-off Crystalist relic lying in one of the dead ends. Whoever left this behind probably never escaped.

At the far end of the maze, the party finds a locked door. Beyond is the stairway leading up out of the prison.

Edea tries using the key in the lock. Eventually she turns back to the others.

......It won't... It won't open.

Are you sure? Do we need a different key?

I don't understand. I'd thought--

A figure walks down the stairs behind her:

Who's there!?

Sage, is that you? What are you doing here!?

What am I doing here? I could ask you the same. As for me, I'm right where I belong.

Right where you...?

And that would make me your enemy.

I don't...understand.

I've been sequestered in Yulyana Woods ever since that templar Braev Lee seized power. But the fact remains I still count among the members of the Council of Six.

You were acquainted with my father? Then you must've known who I am! Why didn't you say so, you miserable old lech!?

Ho ho ho! I saw little need, being that I was in seclusion and no longer attending the council.

This cannot be. You were a...a trusted friend to us. A teacher-like figure who rendered aid...

And to now hear you say you serve Eternia? The people who killed the earth vestal, the fire vestal, Olivia... I don't understand. Who are you really?

Who indeed? I am but an outsider looking in.

What do you want with us?

An old friend has risen from a long slumber, so I came to see him. While I was here, I thought I would deliver a warning.

A warning?

Then you yet serve the duchy's forces and mean to stand agaist us?

You are not entirely wrong there. This world is not so clean and pleasant as you may think. I suspect your journey this far has taught you as much.

Malice is not the only enemy. The road to ruin is oft paved with good intentions. With action comes consequence. The joy of some may be the misery of others.

To decide one way is to abandon the other. Knowing this, will you continue upon your chosen road?

Nothing could stop me.

You mean "us."

Right, us. We've come so far together.

Is that so? Well, then... Have the courage to think and act on your own.

That! Those words! "Have the courage to disobey."

Well, now, you do remember.

Sage...

Step back.

Edea steps away from the locked door.

The sage casts a magic spell...

And there goes the door!

And the sage?

A moment later, his voice echoes from out of sight:

Know that ever shall I be watching over you.

Agnès bows.

Up the stairway, the party finds themselves back in the Command Center's main hall.

The last random encounter enemy type in this region is a buff demon man.

I had bad luck and ended up doing a fair amount of grinding around Eternia trying to get him to show up.

Now's our chance to get through before the Eternians notice the party's escape.

This time, the way is open to the northern end of the Command Center. Just need to get through this door!

Oh, okay.

Wait, what?

That's right. The party's now going to overthrow the Eternian government on their way to fix the last crystal. You know, just as a little detour.

We've got a few things to check out before we do that. First, after breaking out of jail, we unlocked a helpful side passage.

It leads to an airship landing field for easy access to Central Command. As a bonus, the Eternians have panicked enough to stop manning their anti-air artillery over here, so we can park our ship whenever we want.

There are also a couple of conversations we can find.

The first is back in Gravemark Village. Edea can now ask the chatty old man some new questions.

About the templar...

Thirty years since the templar joined the Crystal Orthodoxy and his true talents emerged.

The templar!? You mean my father joined the Crystal Orthodoxy!?

What!?

Hrmm... So this is news to you? Why would he not have told his own daughter?

He rose through the ranks quickly, but suddenly abandoned the faith--the year after the Great Plague struck.

Then did he join a group preaching Anticrystalism.

He went from Crystalism to Anticrystalism? Why would he do such a thing?

Hrmm, some say he abhorred the Orthodoxy for forsaking our village, abandoning it to the ravages of the plague.

But until you ask him yourself, you will never know for certain.

What we do know is it was winter fifteen years ago that a great host led by the templar invaded this land.

He had secretly gathered like-minded allies to his side and seized power from the founder of the Anticrystalist group.

So it was he usurped the very group that had taken him in, and used it to invade the land of his birth.

He attacked the Temple of Earth and seized the Earth Crystal. Then he destroyed the Orthodoxy's head temple and occupied his conquered homeland.

The templar restored the Duchy of Eternia, the nation that once ruled these lands, and named himself grand marshal.

All were astonished at the speed of his onslaught and at the duchy's restoration, but none spoke out in condemnation.

For the people of this land and for those who ventured here with ailments uncurable, his rule was the very definition of virtue and justice.

Dark rumors abound, but they may be no more than the shadows cast by the blazing light that is the templar.

The templar has a dedicated fanbase. But at least we can rest assured that any leader who wins via a show of army might and appoints himself unquestioned leader until further notice is working in the world's best interest and beyond fault.

About fifteen years ago...

You might even say it was the root of the tumult across our land and, indeed, all of Luxendarc.

What tumult?

It was twenty years ago that villages throughout this land met their ruin, you know.

For that was when the Orthodoxy ordered all roads be blocked to spare the city of Eternia from the approaching plague.

And Everlast Tower and Eternian Central Command that yet stand there in the city? They were once the property of the Crystal Orthodoxy, you know.

Everlast Tower was the Temple of Earth, and Eternian Central Command was the Orthodoxy's head temple. Hmmm, yes, that was what they were once called.

They were the reason the Orthodoxy sought to stem the plague's spread before it reached the city.

And yet that meant the Orthodoxy sacrificed countless lives in outlying villages to save what they held sacred.

Hrmm, perhaps the templar, ever concerned for the people, could not forgive that.

The day he invaded, he attacked the Temple of Earth straightaway, the very place his former masters sought to save. But the people saw his actions as heroic.

For it was he who ordered the energy welling forth from the Earth Crystal be fused with white magic and used to advance medicine.

So it was that death by sickness has been nearly vanquished from our land. We can now live without fear of an untimely demise.

But is he a hero who freed us from the terrors of sickness? Or a usurper who brings terrors unto the world?

It all depends upon one's perspective, I suppose.

Those last lines seem out of place for a native Eternian who's presumably never traveled far from his village. Is he caught between parroting pro-Duchy propoganda and having honest mixed feelings about the situation?

Braev was cunning enough to overthrow his former leaders and gather his own army behind the scenes. It makes sense he understands the importance of maintaining strong public favor. However even with the best of intentions, his army probably caused mayhem when they took over Eternia.

Eternia's public likely only knows a whitewashed version of Eternia's actions overseas, but for older folks such as this fellow, they might still harbor some deep skepticisms about their leader given the lengths he went to during his local takeover. Skepticisms which are well-founded, as the party's witnessed firsthand across the world.

But that's enough politics for the moment. Let's go examine Braev from a more personal aspect.

Mahzer has finished her checkup since we stormed Eternia's three passages and broke out of prison. Given some time to think, she's now more open to talking.

I don't understand what Father is thinking.

Alas, he is a man of few words.

Please, tell me, Mother; in your eyes, what sort of man is he?

Well, even in his youth, before he rose to his current standing, he held lofty ideals.

He is kind to others, yet hard on himself. Sincere yet stern, both fair and impartial--a truly hard worker.

And ever is he willing to risk his life for the right person or cause. That one such as your father would take me as his bride, I could not express the joy.

But one day I found that he had changed. He has ever after been a man driven by results.

Just like that?

It was the day I suddenly fell ill. His concern for me hastened his pace down the road to the ideal world he dreamed of building.

But his grand and perfect plan for his ideal society left no room for even the tiniest divergence.

If but one gear were out of place, the entire contrivance would slowly descend into disorder. That is Eternia at this moment.

Your father, no doubt, knows this in his heart. To place the world back onto the narrow path towards his untainted ideals seems beyond even his abilities.

Ever I wonder... Were I not his wife... Were I not racked with illness...

Perhaps Luxendarc would've become the ideal world, glorious and resplendent, he had sought to forge.

I believe the gulf between his ideals and the realities he must face bring him great anguish.

Mahzer begins to break down despite her efforts not to cry in front of her daughter.

So, Mahzer is fully aware of all that's going on and how screwed up things have gotten in Eternia. Unfortunately, it seems Braev is a man ultimately willing to listen to no one but himself.

Mother, you mustn't say such things.

Though it's but a glimpse, I feel as if my eyes are finally starting to open to Father's true feelings.

Surely the ideals he taught to me as a child were not wrong. I fear it is his bonds of obligation that have him chained.

If we could but sweep away all that holds him in place, then perhaps...

Edea...

I know what I have to do.

Next: We've studied our opponent. Now it's time to put knowledge into action and put an end to this mess.

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
Edea Escapes
Like Father, Like Daughter
To the Rescue!
Out of Danger
Family You Can Talk To
Are You Coming or Not?
Yulyana to the Rescue

Sub-Scenario:
Father Has the Key
Gravemark Village (Continued)
A Mother's Sorrow

Party Chat:
Four Birds in a Cage
Glad You're Alright, Tiz
Glad You're Alright, Ringabel

D's Journal: Edea Lee posted:

After defeating Victor and Victoria, we set out for the top floor of Central Command, but were put to sleep by a strange bat-like creature. Edea was taken to another room, while the rest of us were locked in the dungeon. After speaking to her father, Edea came to our rescue, using a secret passage in the room she had used as a child.

D's Journal: Sage Yulyana posted:

Stuck behind the bars at Eternian Central Command, and at our wit's end, we were paid a visit by the sage. He revealed he was a founder of the organization that preceded the duchy, making him our enemy. We were all shocked.

The sage told a wavering Agnès that her actions could bring misfortune to many, and asked us if we would still press on knowing this. We answered that we would. After contemplating this, the sage broke us out of the prison, then disappeared.

D's Journal: Braev the Templar posted:

A 45-year-old man from Eternia. His name is Braev Lee, and he carries the templar asterisk. He is valiant, judicious, and stern. A staunch supporter of Anticrystalism, the future of the duchy and the world around it are never far from his mind.
--------------------------------
Dislikes: The Archduke

The stories of the old man of Gravemark Village near the eastern passage gave clues to the templar's character. He revitalized the duchy after turning on the Orthodoxy fifteen years ago. He rose up after seeing the Orthodoxy ignore the needs of the people to protect their head temple and the Temple of Earth in the Great Plague. The people saw him as a hero.

D's Journal: Mahzer Lee posted:

After escaping the dungeon thanks to the sage's help, we returned to the city and spoke with Edea's mother. She feared that her weak body had compromised the ideals that the templar held. Fifteen years ago, when Edea was three, was also when the templar attacked the Orthodoxy. A shadow hung over her mother's face...

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 27, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

And here we have Reason #1 (#2 if you count his pretty cool entrance) as to why DeRosso is one of the best characters in the game.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

#3 if you count his baritone, too. His voice is the sort that commands the attention of everyone in the room whenever he speaks.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

#3 if you count his baritone, too. His voice is the sort that commands the attention of everyone in the room whenever he speaks.
It seems more unfortunate by the day that Tony Jay has been dead for more than a decade.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I wish De Rosso's name was De Folt to go along with the Braev pun.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wonder if Braev's father had the same name. That way he could be Braev Lee the Second.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

So Sage Yulyana, wanna explain your words? Maybe clear up any misunderstandings?

No? See you later I guess. :nallears:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Bravely Default in a nutshell!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

kw0134 posted:

So Sage Yulyana, wanna explain your words? Maybe clear up any misunderstandings?

No? See you later I guess. :nallears:
At least he has kind of an excuse in that he just broke you out of jail by blowing up the door, so you (and he) probably need to get out of there quickly.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Commander Keene posted:

At least he has kind of an excuse in that he just broke you out of jail by blowing up the door, so you (and he) probably need to get out of there quickly.

Given the firepower he's packing I'm pretty sure he'd be capable of sending off anybody short of immortal archduke dude

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Maybe, considering he's on the Council of Six, he doesn't want to go Dynasty Warriors on the Eternian Army for reasons other than lacking the power to do so?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Or he recognizes that the time has come for Edea to confront her father, and doesn’t want to interfere for either side (beyond his little stunt here).

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Lord DiRosso owns.

It doesn't hurt that he seems to be having the "why don't you assholes explain anything" reaction that the player has had at this point.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I know he's kinda going "Have I mentioned that I'm immortal today?" a couple of times, but is pretty great how he basically says Braev is no different from a rebellious 15-year-old. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 28, 2018

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Let's Learn Jobs: Spiritmaster

Similar to Arcanist and Black Mage, Spiritmaster has some abilities complementary to White Mage, but otherwise does its own, wonderfully broken thing. It specializes in abilities which take a proactive approach to damage mitigation (nullifying damage before it happens) rather than reactive (using cure). This takes more thought to use, but makes Spiritmaster one of the most powerful and useful jobs in the game.

Spiritmaster has loose ties to FF3's Devout, but is probably most similar to a Final Fantasy 14 job, Scholar. Both have a fairy motif and focus on preventing damage before it happens (as opposed to the more traditional White Mage). Speaking of fairies, the ones in 14 might look familiar:

As both games have artist Akihiko Yoshida on the team.

Job icon is the iconic white coat with red tie worn by Spiritmasters. Job command is a fairy, which is implied to be the inspiration for the Spiritmaster's abilities.

Spiritmasters excel with all magic, and like Arcanists have lots of MP to throw around. Bad at punching.

Blue are support abilities, red are skill abilities.

Level 1 - Spirit Ward: Nullifies elemental damage done to target for 4 turns. (16 MP)
Level 2 - Auto-Shell: Shell automatically cast on self at battle start. Lasts 10 turns. (Cost: 1)
Level 3 - Magic Defense 20% Up (Cost: 2)
Level 4 - Fairy's Aid: Boost target's elemental damage by 150% for 5 turns. (1 BP)
Level 5 - Convert BP: Raise own BP by 2. (25% of max MP)
Level 6 - Save WM MP: Allows other jobs to equip the spiritmaster specialty. (Cost: 2)
Level 7 - Adaptation: Target absorbs elemental damage for 4 turns. (32 MP)
Level 8 - Stillness: Nullify all damage to allies and enemies for 2 turns. (2 BP)
Level 9 - Holy One: Lower physical attack 25% and boost potency of recovery magic by 250%. (Cost: 2)
Level 10 - Greater Spirit Ward: Allies take half elemental damage for 4 turns. (2 BP)
Level 11 - Fairy Ward: Allies are immune to most status ailments for 5 turns. (2 BP)
Level 12 - Moderation: Allies/Enemies with positive BP have BP decreased by one; those with negative BP have BP increased by one. (2 BP)
Level 13 - Enigma: Nullifies elemental damage done to allies for 4 turns. (3 BP)
Level 14 - Maximize HP: Max HP doubles during battle. (Cost: 3)

Spiritmaster is one of the best support jobs in the game, plus provides a great boost for white magic. Stillness is the crown jewel among several gems of abilities, especially when used alongside BP manipulation.

A straightforward boost, but Holy One is likely a better alternative for the dedicated healer.

Spiritmasters master a fashionable yet practical doctor look. Starched white clothing -- coats and trousers for the men, modest dresses for the women -- are embroidered with elegant designs. The white is balanced with red, grey, and black accessories, the most notable being crimson red ties. Another outfit highlight are the glasses, lending an air of intelligence and calm. The women also wear ribbons for a carefully applied dose of cute.

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 1, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Stillness + Hasten World (Time Mage) = Broken Game

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Alrighty everyone, let's do some math.

Convert BP is 25% of your max MP for +2 BP. Using this is, of course, 1 BP, so it's a net of +1. Naturally, one could use it successively for more effect. Let's do so. Three times in a row nets us +3, or from nothing to max.

Oh no, but we're out of MP!

Well, now we take Salve Maker and mix up a Quarter Elixir (Ether + High Potion). 250 MP (and 2500 HP) for basically no money (1150 pg), great!

Well, that's great if our max MP is 250 or less, but what if it's more? Don't worry, that's where the Salve Maker's Healing Lore comes in. For two support slots or switching to Salve Maker with Spiritmaster as a secondary then you can double that Quarter Elixir to 500 MP (as well as 5000 HP). What if your MP is past 500? Well, then you're probably a really high level, so you can afford to splurge 6500 pg on Turbo Ether + X-Potion to create Half Elixirs, which heal 500 MP and 5000 HP at base.

Which gets doubled to 10000 HP and 1000 MP. For the record, at level 99 with a C-rank MP stat you're going to have roughly 700. So that's a full heal. Oh, and would you look at that, Salve Maker has a C in MP, which in our bizzaro world is actually more desirable.

So, we can Convert BP three times and then mini-Elixir it all back for a net of +2 BP for the next round. Adding in the normal one per turn means you can skip one turn to get four actions the next turn, and then repeating each cycle: an action economy four times better than just Defaulting. Alternatively, look at all of those BP-expensive Spiritmaster abilities. You can Convert BP twice instead of thrice and use any ability that costs 2 or fewer BP and not have to skip the next turn, and you're still ending with full MP to repeat the cycle. In addition to all of those sweet sweet defensive abilities, you've also got the Salve Maker's Widen Area in case you need to heal people: just Widen X-Potions, Elixirs, and Phoenix Downs. Bonus: goes through Shell.

Convert BP is level 5 Spiritmaster and Compounding is level 1 Salve Maker. There's a lot of ways to circumvent the BP economy, and a lot of "broken" builds, but this one is notable in just how drat cheap it is, with only six job levels required. The downside is you're locked into a mostly defensive skillset, but that only lasts until you look at the damage dealing mixes. If you missed the FFV Chemist's complete battlefield dominance, this is where you get it back: almost every shenanigan that got taken away from Salve Maker got given to Spiritmaster, and now you don't even have that pesky "one action per turn" thing holding you back.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I appreciate that the archduke is so concerned with family. It's a very refreshing perspective.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 73: Taking Command at Eternia Central

The party's got a fortress to storm. Let's stock up before we get started.

The heroes of Wa often traveled around the world, far from their home island. Presumably some of their descendants settled down and survived whatever happened to Wa itself. That would explain Konoe the Ninja and Kamiizumi being the lone Japanese residents in a world otherwise dominated by fantasy Europeans and Middle Easterners.

This weapon would be potentially deadly if used in a surprise attack against the party. Luckily the Eternians haven't thought of that and only use their assassins in complex whodunit plots.

The bow has a bat motif, perhaps modeled after the local legendary vampire.

Likely a standard piece of Eternian military gear.

It's unspecified whether the relief is made of adamantium or some other material, or whether the rash is caused by the magic used to increase HP.

After a quick trip back at Eternia Central Command, Edea leads the party to the elevator to the higher floors.

Strange way for her to phrase it since we're already in the building.

So that's where we'll find your father, Edea?

Yes, along with the dark knight Alternis Dim and that strange man who put us to sleep.

Well, we need the key Edea's father has. That's the only way we'll make it to the Earth Crystal.

If we can just get the key, maybe we can avoid fighting a lot of people!

I'm afraid that's one big "if."

Meanwhile, a few dozen stories above the party...

But why would Yulyana assist in the wind vestal's escape?

The capricious old fool... I cannot fathom his thoughts, but that the two appear now after fifteen years... It's as though they have come to gloat over my demise.

Lord Marshal, I'm afraid I don't understand. It is unlike you to utter such bleak words.

Victor and Victoria are defeated, and we no longer receive word from our squads deployed abroad.

Heh heh heh... Those two grandsires said their piece ere going into hiding again. All that remains now of the Council of Six are you and I, Alternis.

I shall not concede defeat! Were we but to slay the wind vestal...!

And what of my daughter? Could you slay her, too?

Edea has two guys with a crush on her, but both are completely inept about it in nearly opposite ways. At least it'll be helpful if it stops Alternis from killing the party. Again.

Hear me, Dark Knight Alternis Dim. I would have you escape while you still may.

Your Lordship, I must protest! Am I such a burden, to be sent away so!?

*shakes head* It is my faith in you that makes me bid you leave, for I've a task I would entrust to no one else.

You need merely speak the word.

The time has come for me to share my true aim in restoring the Duchy of Eternia, and reveal the secret borne by its predecessor. Until now, only I and those two grandsires were privy to such knowledge.

A plot-shattering reveal? You know what this means?

If you guessed ending the scene and cutting back to the party, you guessed correctly. It's the Bravely Default way. Nevermind that if Braev has information, he should share it with his daughter. That is, unless Eternia's deep dark secret is their love of overthrowing foreign powers with no regard for human life.

If that's the case, it's not much of a secret anymore.

Braev's time to explain himself is over. And really, what could he say that would excuse Eternia's actions?

The express elevator takes the party up to 47, but the last few floors will have to be taken on foot. Another sign of villainy: Eternia shares elevator manufacturers with Shinra.

Unbeknowst to Braev Lee, the party's already uncovered a lot of Eternia's past. Even Agnès will now admit that the Crystalists did terrible things. The ideals of religion and the messy reality of politics often end up bound together. But the overthrow of one corrupted power does not exempt its replacement from corruption.

Hey, now the party can literally punch/stab the evil out of things!

On the northeast side of the 48th floor, Edea takes notice of one room in particular.

So this was your room...

Hey, Ringabel, let a girl keep some privacy!

Where's the fun in that? This place must be full of memories. I can almost taste them.

I don't have any memories, least any I can recall. So forgive me if I wax a little sentimental here.

Thank you.

Hey, isn't that a picture of you, Edea? You look so young.

Oh, how embarrassing. Let's pretend you didn't see that.

Here's one with your entire family.

Oh, I'd forgotten about that.

Seeing this picture leaves no doubt of the depth of your father's love for his daughter.

This game's attempts to mix saving the world with family drama have gotten really awkward. At this point, Edea's done what she can to reconcile the two, but she's still getting guilt-tripped by the person her father wants dead.

It was a little irritating that Braev sent all his minions out to kill us, ha ha.

Are you truly prepared to battle your own father?

......That would seem to be my destiny. You could say I truly am my father's daughter. We are both of a mind that shan't ever waver once we've decided upon something.

To go against one willing to die for his beliefs calls for steely resolve. That is why I... I...

It doesn't have to be this way.

How so?

It serves no purpose to abandon dialogue from the start. Not while you are both here to talk...

I will consider it.

Instead, the game treats the battle with Braev as a choice, as though it would be an acceptable option to sacrifice the entire world just so Edea can try one last time to make up with her father.

Checking Edea's bed lets the party rest in her room.

Later, as the four are making their way up to the 49th floor...

Braev has finished talking about his plot-shattering revelation, so we're free to check back in.

It's not for us to question the truth. I will see that the vestal and her followers are stopped here. And you... I would have you prepared for the worst.

The pillar of light will appear somewhere in this world. You must find it, Alternis, and you must be victorious!

Alternis bows.

And walks off. We missed the bulk of what happened, but one thing's clear: Alternis will be waiting for the party, eventually.

Back to the party.

Another confiscated Crystalist relic. The light effect is, in fact, more than cosmetic.

We're almost to the top.

The complete 48th floor map, with Edea's room in the upper right corner.

The elevator to the Council of Six's chamber is in the center of floor 49.

Time to face Braev once and for all.

On exiting the elevator, the party immediately finds the back of Braev's cape. He won't even acknowledge the party.

Father.

Braev finally turns around.

He shakes his head.

How could I have not known about that secret passage to your room? What am I to do with you now, Edea?

Well, I've been using it almost as long as I could walk. It's come in handy more than once.

I see.

I wanted to help you fulfill your ideals, I truly did. I think I was lonely. I mean, no matter how I tried to get through to you, you never paid me any mind.

It's as though you always had your back turned towards me until I left Eternia.

It's not that I never accepted you. Rather, you were ever my pride and joy.

My assigning you to the Sky Knights was an acknowledgement that you had become the woman I knew you could be.

The underling of a deranged, misogynistic arsonist?

Edea did bring them to order, in a fashion. They aren't causing a ruckus anymore.

If Braev's intent was to have Edea lead, he did a terrible job setting her up. Keep in mind that when Edea reprimanded Ominas for almost setting a town on fire, he insulted her because she was a woman and then responded with this:

He later proceeded to immolate his soldiers because yay, fire.

Thank you, Father. I never knew you felt that way.

Do not thank me, for I, too, shall do whatever it takes. I cannot allow you to lay hands upon the crystal. Mine is a cause that I shall not willingly abandon!

Yes, Mother told me. It was when she first fell ill that you began to rush the pursuit of your ideals, was it not?

I will not stand by and watch you ruin all I've made. You and your band shall not pass.

Why, Father!? Why must you always refuse to listen to me? Are we really that different!?

Edea probably would've been better served being allowed to listen in on the Council of Six. Nepotism? Yes, but if Braev were prepping his daughter to be his successor, clueing her in on stuff would've been a good first step.

Just shut up and tell us what's going on, you self-important dingus.

Protect the world? But it's you, Father, who endangers it! Is this battle between us all but inevitable!?

I came here knowing mere words would never bend your will, and yet...!

You've come this far only to spout such sickly sweet sentiments? You disappoint me.

:nallears:

If Braev trusted Edea like he trusts Alternis, perhaps things would have worked out differently. But instead, Braev shows his true opinion: he treats his daughter like a spoiled princess rather than his successor, even after she's trounced his armies and backed him into a corner.

Perhaps Braev, like many fathers of daughters, let himself become so overprotective he never gave his child an opportunity to stop being 'his little girl' and prove herself on her own merits. The moment he did realize his mistake and sent her out, he did so in such a haphazard way that she was doomed to fail. He's probably regretted giving her that chance at freedom ever since.

Rather than own up to his mistakes, Braev will fight his daughter to the death.

Anything but admit he was wrong.

Anything but admit he failed not only his country, not only the world, but Edea as well.

...Grand Marshal of Eternia! Prepare for battle!

So Braev Lee's battle gimmick is...

Wait for it...

He Defaults. A lot. Templars have the ability to cap out at 4 BP rather than 3.

When he finally gets up to 4 BP, he unleashes a string of attacks all in a row.

Because stealing generates aggro, Agnès ends up tanking for most of the battle. Using Utsusemi made her more than suitable for the job.

Braev can be a pain to take down through physical attacks. As an alternative, I poisoned him then used Ringabel to Spiritmaster buff Tiz's elemental damage. Braev is weak to dark damage.

A few rounds of Exterminate, and...

I love this shot. Braev's defeat animation has his giant two-hander sword get flung comically into the air.

Also note that he took down Edea just before. What a Dad!

Unfortunately...

He's not done yet.

No matter. After Tiz reapplies poison, the party's right back in business.

:allears:

Again, he refuses to concede. Pride is terrible beast to defeat.

His final attempt to take out the wind vestal is in vain.

Our heroes, using the power of darkness...

...Finally take down the holier-than-thou templar. Via passive poison damage (350 per turn).

You have grown strong, my daughter.

You're a little late to notice that, buddy. :colbert:

Next: An unexpected intervention? Also, some alternate cutscenes!

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
Into Central Command
The Duchy's Secret
Black and White
Braev the Templar

Sub-Scenario:
Edea's Room

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 6, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
What ho, a pillar of light?

I sense shenanigans on the moon.

CURSE YOU BEARD-PUDDLE LUNARIANS! WAS THE AFTER YEARS NOT ENOUGH FOR YOU!? :argh:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So after so long, I can finally come out and say:

Braev Lee is a gigantic, self-righteous imbecile.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

That Braev Lee guy sure loves to Default a lot, huh?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The Crystals are actually evil or something. Quelle surprise :geno:. This is my shocked face :geno:

Couldn't you share this nice little piece of information with your daughter you decerebrated imbecile?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Omobono posted:

The Crystals are actually evil or something. Quelle surprise :geno:. This is my shocked face :geno:

Couldn't you share this nice little piece of information with your daughter you decerebrated imbecile?
Look, if anyone from Eternia (aside from our Meaningfully Named party member) wasn't a complete imbecile, manipulative bastard, or both, I'm pretty sure this game just plain wouldn't have a plot.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm giving a pass to deDracula and the sage because they're clearly doing a drinking contest with this poo poo. At least that's not a stupid motivation, even if it's kinda evil.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
drat, it's super frustrating to read all of this "There is something super important that I won't tell you" over and over again.

In a way this story could almost work out without the increased ages of the party the western release got - there are plenty of people out there that don't consider children (or teenagers) to be human. And all those psychopaths in the Eternian command structure seem to be all about denying humanity to as many people as possible.
But even then the chances to tell the party everything would need to be at the beginning of the story when they actually are little more than a group of kids. By now not telling anything to the four devils that stomped entire armies is just spiteful. And stupid; very, very stupid.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

There can never be a satisfying answer to the question: Why was Eternia so pointlessly evil? The most we can do is find funny answers.

My personal favorite is one I like to call the "Council of d6"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

...And now I’m imagining a D&D session of the Council of Six and Friends. We already know Victoria would be the Chaotic Evil Wizard that constantly tries to derail the plot by murdering anyone who looks even vaguely important, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

That Braev Lee guy sure loves to Default a lot, huh?

That is my favorite pun in the game. I only wish there was a plot twist that he was Braev Lee Jr. so he'd also be Braev Lee (the) Second. :allears:

Omobono posted:

I'm giving a pass to deDracula and the sage because they're clearly doing a drinking contest with this poo poo.

More or less!

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Mar 6, 2018