Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
If you aren't making standard characters to stake out pokemon character names you may already be too late. Somebody already got Brock aka the best name. :negative:

J posted:

Uh so can you hotkey the drat net? Or do you have to click this poo poo from your inventory :cripes:

Based on the videos it creates an auto-hotkey like detonating mines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

whyyyyy did they feel the need to make multiple tiers of nets

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I'm hype for new ascendancies but beast management sounds loving terrible in about every way lol

Kravdraa
Jun 10, 2002

Jinnigan posted:

I bet prophecies are gonna be very profitable this league, even more so than they were last league.

Well we know there are at least a couple of Bestiary recipes involving prophecies, hopefully that will make it a bit easier to churn through them.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Looks like Stash Tabs just went on sale, so if you got a supporter pack and wanted to grab a currency, map and quad premium tab today the next 3 days looks good.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 23, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe have one net ?

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

I'm still not convinced this league isn't some elaborate setup for an April Fool's joke.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

quote:

In practise, you throw the net then try to kill the monster. The conditions described only really matter if you want to try to capture it without doing substantial damage first.

Regarding your comments about wasting inventory space on nets - that's answered in the FAQ. It's basically two slots.

The purpose of the FAQ was to clarify points of confusion like this, so I'm sorry that it didn't make them clear enough as we did cover both topics in it.

This had better be playtested using proper nicebuilds.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm looking forward to playing from the very beginning of a new league for the first time, but... this beast stuff sounds pretty drat un-fun to me. I may just completely ignore it and play to kill everything I see like normal.

Nothing I've read so far seems to indicate that you can't just completely ignore the beast stuff, just means I won't be able to craft some stuff that I'd probably never craft anyway, and won't fill up the My Little Pony spotting book.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It sounds real loving tedious.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006
I hope that the higher level beast crafting can produce some cool stuff, because the crafts we've seen so far don't really seem to justify the effort involved. I imagine a bit of work went into this update, it would be a shame if everyone ignored the new content because it's just not worthwhile.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Champion is looking pretty good this season, guys

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

Personally, I think I'm just going to capture the legendary beasts, and maybe the rare beasts depending on how useful the crafting recipes actually are in practice. Its pretty common to ignore the league mechanic at some point if you are trying to be efficient. This was especially true in Harbinger. As you can buy all the beasts you need from other players, I'll just play whatever part of the game I find enjoyable.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Is anyone else having problems with PoB crashing their computer?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll be honest I'm super excited for this league except for the actual bestiary.

Unless it's really amazingly fun and I'm mesmerized by it I might actually ignore it and just use this league to play some build I never played before casually.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Newbie questions:

1. How’s the minion AI? Do they follow you if you teleport?

2. So only gems and item modifiers that explicitly have the keyword “minion” affect minions? Nothing else?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm excited. I don't typically insta-gib rare monsters off screen anyway, much less uniques, and if that's an experience many players have with this league I'm sure GGG will tweak them to increase life totals.

Hell, if they so desired they could have them gain a 5 second stunned animation and damage immunity when they hit low-life and prevent them from going below 1 hp until that effect runs out giving players time to throw the nets.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It does not sound like this league is very friendly towards a necromancer starved for hotkey space whose minions insta-gib several screens before you know what's on it.

"This map contains only animals" will be a valuable mod probably.

This league's gimmick sounds sorta skippable unless everyone's fears are unfounded for how tedious and unfun and unnecessarily inventory cluttering with 10 tiers of nets and having to buy nets it'll end up playing out.

I feel like you can skip this league based on the fact there is a 99% chance this is rolled into the base game based on all the art design and crafting systems they put into it and if it isn't added to the base game because it was terrible then it was probably worth the skip too.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Jay Rust posted:

Newbie questions:

2. So only gems and item modifiers that explicitly have the keyword “minion” affect minions? Nothing else?

1. For the most part, the best way to get a minion to attack a specific target is to target it with something. If you get too far separated from your minions they'll teleport to you (except for Raging Spirits and Skeletons, those only stick around the area in which you cast them). You can use Convocation to get all minions to warp to you (along with some life regen), but it's got a not-inconsequential cooldown on it.
2. Yeah. For outgoing damage it's just that, but you can affect the enemy's incoming damage in multiple ways. Curses primarily; Elemental Equilibrium is another good option (common setup is to have fire-based minions then hit enemies with Ball Lightning-Curse on Hit-Flammability to severely drop enemies' fire resistance and get your minions to go after them).

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Newbie questions:

If you get a screen away from your minions or use the convocation skill which is usually used in spectre or zombie reliant builds they will teleport on top of you.

Minions don't get any stats from you whatsoever unless it's specifically minion related or stated otherwise.

George
Nov 27, 2004

I don't understand people who insist on only ever playing one type of build in this game, but I guess making new characters and doing poo poo I haven't done is what keeps me playing PoE. If pet builds are bad for the league mechanic then I'll just avoid making one.

Or make one for extra cheap late in the league, I dunno.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Having done goofy poo poo like sell Elder Guardians, and get messaged after the elder activates them from their egg, it's quite possible for summoners to deliberately drag their minions away from a mob. Just cast ball lightning away from the mob.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Thanks for answering my questions, guys! But I have one more:

Selling items sometimes earns alchemy shards, and the wiki says it’s due to certain gear modifiers. My question is, do you have to identify the item for the chance of getting the shards, or does the game “know” what an unidentified item’s mods are and will reward you accordingly?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you have to id

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Selling items sometimes earns alchemy shards, and the wiki says it’s due to certain gear modifiers. My question is, do you have to identify the item for the chance of getting the shards, or does the game “know” what an unidentified item’s mods are and will reward you accordingly?

unidentified items will only give alteration fragments

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Unid'd items give transmutation shards.

I like to pick up 1x3 and 2x2 blues I find for transmutes at the beginning of a league, right before I go to town, because they can be useful while racing. Only first few acts though.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Transmutes are also a reliable ways to get wisdom scrolls early on, which surprisingly matters at the very start at least for me. Never have enough wisdoms in the early acts.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

My advice is to only id blue equipment until you have a full set of it (regardless of the quality of the mods on it) then never identify another blue item again (aside from jewels). Selling unid'd blues is okay until you have like 10 transmutation orbs, then you can stop picking non-jewel blues up at all. I like to identify all rare items until like, yellow maps, at which point I stop picking up most of them.

This is from someone who plays relatively slowly still, so it's useful advice for you I'd say.

George
Nov 27, 2004

The only blue items I gently caress with when leveling are phys weapons, since you can alt a useful one pretty easily.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Im gonna get rich hunting beasts while all y'all be boring :v:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

more info about net progression (lol) https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2091423

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

frajaq posted:

whyyyyy did they feel the need to make multiple tiers of nets

Same reason that they put level restrictions on early leaguestones - they don't want it to be ~optimal~ to save them all up until maps rather than use them while levelling.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Hopefully they don't drop as much as Leaguestones did because Jesus loving Christ that got annoying fast.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It should be less annoying than leaguestones, since it's a couple of types of stackable currency rather than 17 types of potentially magic item.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Can someone invite Maximum_SlamArse? Gonna play pocketman hc league.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It does not sound like this league is very friendly towards a necromancer starved for hotkey space whose minions insta-gib several screens before you know what's on it.

They hotkey gets it's own little bar, just like detonate mines does

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2091423

quote:

As you progress through the game, there are really only two tiers of nets available at any time. They're relatively easy to get, and their drop rates are set to signal an appropriate rate to capture Beasts (so that players don't feel they have to net everything that moves). Finding a new type of net is similar to how finding a more powerful flask is an upgrade to your character. You don't need to worry about the old ones afterwards. They go wherever your bad old flasks go.

quote:

You don't need to click on a net item in your inventory each time you want to capture a Beast. You use the globally-available net skill, which has its own bindable hotkey so that it doesn't take up a skill slot. You only need to click a net item when you want to change what type of net you're capturing Beasts with.

That seems entirely reasonable to me

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Sounds great, except I want a hotkey for good nets and another hotkey for bad nets.

Actually it's probably not too bad. You probably normally have your best net equipped so that you don't need to inventory scutter when a legendary beast shows up, and you save up the lower-tier nets until you do the map full of whatever animal type is used in the broken recipe they really shouldn't have put in the game.

Qwertycoatl fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 23, 2018

George
Nov 27, 2004

Look I just want to learn about crab barriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Newbie questions:

Regarding #2, lots of support gems that don't mention minions will work for them. Anything that applies to a minion's abilities should work. For example, minions with melee attacks benefit from Faster Attacks, and minions with projectiles benefit from Lesser Multiple Projectiles. If you're ever unsure if a support gem is working, you can put it in a link with an active gem and then hover over either gem. If they work together, the other gem will be highlighted.