Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Inescapable Duck posted:

American racial politics are nearly inescapable and yet still manage to be confusing. Is Armond White an Uncle Ruckus then?

Armond White doesn't put that much thought into it. He's just a dull contrarian who gets more attention than he deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DicktheCat posted:

I just wish I was half the animator Bluth is.

Some of his stuff was bad, though, like A Troll in Central Park.

E: that doesn't take away from the good he's done. The Feivel movies are still some of my favorites.

An American Tail legit makes me cry.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

cis autodrag posted:

An American Tail legit makes me cry.

They're pretty heavy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the secret of nimh terrified the hell out of me as a kid and i still cannot watch it

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

the secret of nimh terrified the hell out of me as a kid and i still cannot watch it

You should give it another shot. It's dope.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Sagebrush posted:

The 'DNA transformation' sequence terrified me as a kid because I had no idea it was supposed to be DNA stands getting altered. There was already a scene with a scary owl and Satan cat and at that point anything is possible so I figured it was some Spiral Tunnel of Bones fever dream Nicodemus was having.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Panfilo posted:

The 'DNA transformation' sequence terrified me as a kid because I had no idea it was supposed to be DNA stands getting altered. There was already a scene with a scary owl and Satan cat and at that point anything is possible so I figured it was some Spiral Tunnel of Bones fever dream Nicodemus was having.

yeah that was the one that did it for me too. something viscerally horrifying about the rats being injected with giant syringes of who-knows-what and then doubling over in pain while psychedelic imagery and wailing synthesized chants play in the background

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kd8-L42BCU

yeeesh. still makes me shudder

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Sagebrush posted:

yeah that was the one that did it for me too. something viscerally horrifying about the rats being injected with giant syringes of who-knows-what and then doubling over in pain while psychedelic imagery and wailing synthesized chants play in the background

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kd8-L42BCU

yeeesh. still makes me shudder

When I think of this movie the two main things that come to mind are this scene, the scene where- it's not a lawnmower but I can't think of what it actually is called- huge piece of farming equipment has started up and they hear it approaching and like, good god, how well it puts what we see as just a regular farm chore in perspective of a little critter living in the field :stare:
And the music. God, the music in Bluth's movies was amazingly moving.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I remember there was an animated movie that freaked me out quite a bit as a kid, but I have never been able to ID it. IIRC it was Halloween, there was a group of kids and one of them was dying of some illness, and I think in the end all his friends make a deal with like an evil sorcerer or something to give up a few years of their own lives each to save the sick kid?

I honestly only really remember bits and pieces, but other cartoons will sometimes trigger a memory of that movie and it still inspires a sense of dread.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Shifty Nipples posted:

Good post right here.

I haven't heard Bloodhound Gang in forever.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

I remember there was an animated movie that freaked me out quite a bit as a kid, but I have never been able to ID it. IIRC it was Halloween, there was a group of kids and one of them was dying of some illness, and I think in the end all his friends make a deal with like an evil sorcerer or something to give up a few years of their own lives each to save the sick kid?

I honestly only really remember bits and pieces, but other cartoons will sometimes trigger a memory of that movie and it still inspires a sense of dread.

Sounds like the Halloween tree?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Len posted:

Sounds like the Halloween tree?

That's the one! Narrated by Ray Bradbury and the scary evil guy was Leonard Nimoy, no wonder it gave me the willies.

Thanks for helping solve a decades-old minor mystery for me!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Solice Kirsk posted:

:same: probably not since i used to burn mpg videos to CDRs

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

This made me go look up an old movie I loved as a kid, Once Upon a Forest. Doesn't involve bluth but I definitely remember it being in that same vein of kind of dark kids movie. Which is a shame that when I looked it up it bombed horribly and has some really poor ratings

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

was Fern Gully a Bluth movie? That one was awesome.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Panfilo posted:

Man, I was probably always a weird kid because I always thought the scary owl was awesome

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Krankenstyle posted:

:same: probably not since i used to burn mpg videos to CDRs

I never really stopped at least occasionally listening to them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

was Fern Gully a Bluth movie? That one was awesome.
Nope. The company only made two films, Ferngully and a direct-to-video sequel.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

sweeperbravo posted:

When I think of this movie the two main things that come to mind are this scene, the scene where- it's not a lawnmower but I can't think of what it actually is called- huge piece of farming equipment has started up and they hear it approaching and like, good god, how well it puts what we see as just a regular farm chore in perspective of a little critter living in the field :stare:
And the music. God, the music in Bluth's movies was amazingly moving.

It was a plow. Every spring the animals in that field have to flee to avoid getting mulched. But from the perspective of something mouse sized it is this terrifying skyscraper sized monstrosity.

Once upon a forest was also notable for having a characters parents get gassed to death :stonk: and kind of whiplashed between terrifying scenes and more generic hokey bits.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Yeah it's been a while, but in Once Upon a Forest they need to go on a journey for some rare flower to save a kid in a coma.....who will wake up to find out that he (or was it she?) has been an orphan for weeks. Hooray.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
RIP badger mom and dad :rip:. You went out the same way as those bunnies in Watership Down; trapped underground desperately gasping for breath as the darkness closes all around you :stonk:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Shifty Nipples posted:

I never really stopped at least occasionally listening to them.

Tbh I think the bad touch weaned me off them. I'll try putting them back on the playlist for a bit, maybe they'll stick around.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

Tbh I think the bad touch weaned me off them. I'll try putting them back on the playlist for a bit, maybe they'll stick around.

Yeah I agree the bad touch had me thinking "what the hell are you guys doing".

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Look at all you wimpy babbys scared of cartoons. Next time upon the wheel make sure your childhood is filled with claymation nightmares instead (like mine was).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhgLEkgO0yo

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Watership Down, The Secret of NIMH, and The Black Cauldron are the best not quite scary kid's cartoons.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Panfilo posted:

RIP badger mom and dad :rip:. You went out the same way as those bunnies in Watership Down; trapped underground desperately gasping for breath as the darkness closes all around you :stonk:
The book is so much darker than the film. It's also massively better.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Need help with this one

Pretty sure it was a goon , he posted about having a custom suit made in Japan or China maybe

And in the pictures he looked like Marilyn Manson wearing a really garish table cloth looking suit cut in the style of jacket Jackie Chan would wear

Any help ?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Blue On Blue posted:

Need help with this one

Pretty sure it was a goon , he posted about having a custom suit made in Japan or China maybe

And in the pictures he looked like Marilyn Manson wearing a really garish table cloth looking suit cut in the style of jacket Jackie Chan would wear

Any help ?

It wasn't a goon, and he had a nose like an ice pick. I remember what you're talking about, but I don't have the picture, sorry.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pinocchio is the scariest animated film

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blue On Blue posted:

Need help with this one

Any help ?

poo poo, I know exactly who you're talking about. He had blue hair, even. His reasoning was that it was "true fashion". Not a goon, but people figured out who he was.

I think he was a guy who made fantasy costumes and armor and had equally embarrassing photos of himself in his work.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
It miiight have been Dr What

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

We are so close , I can picture it in my mind. It was a mandarin collar or whatever sticks up square with the front closure like a tux shirt front

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i mean, he's not really wrong. there's a reason why Don Bluth's stuff was so massively influential; compare the stuff Disney was making around the 60s and 70s to what he was doing and what they're doing now, and you'll find a lot more resemblance between modern Disney and Bluth's stuff than between modern Disney and that era of Disney. he made really loving good movies for the most part, and the fact that he wasn't afraid to make a movie that didn't really talk down to its audience was half of why.

e: Bluth was especially influential on Pixar; Toy Story 3 is basically a love letter to his style of filmmaking, and The Good Dinosaur might as well be their attempt at making a good Land Before Time sequel.

you're ribbing right

Bluth worked for Disney in the '60s and '70s

Allegedly Allergic
Nov 3, 2002

Crazy Bus Person #3

Dillbag posted:

Look at all you wimpy babbys scared of cartoons. Next time upon the wheel make sure your childhood is filled with claymation nightmares instead (like mine was).

Holy poo poo, it does exist. I've never been sure if that movie was a fever dream or not.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Why do we all know exactly what picture that stupid suit came from? It's so bad.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DicktheCat posted:

Why do we all know exactly what picture that stupid suit came from? It's so bad.

But we cant find the picture. It's annoying

I can pretty much draw it in my mind

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Blue On Blue posted:

But we cant find the picture. It's annoying

I can pretty much draw it in my mind

I can't remember the guy's name either, but I'm almost 100% sure this came from one of the old AUG threads, maybe the first one.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Korremar posted:

neither is Feivel Goes West
neither is Fern Gully
neither is Anastasia
neither is Secret of Nimh
neither is All Dogs Go To Heaven

neither is Fritz the Cat

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Holy loving poo poo I didn't realize that was what you guys were talking about. I didn't know there was more :allears: