Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

My dad worked in the asbestos mines in Libby to pay for college. If the TV ads were right, he'd be dead of mesothelioma 53.7 times by now. Instead, he's walking around with a bit of scarring in his lungs and some light emphysema.

tl;dr: cancer is fuckin' weird and complicated.

Asbestos in rock form is not super dangerous. The refining process makes it's fibers into the kill you kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Bombadilillo posted:

Asbestos in rock form is not super dangerous. The refining process makes it's fibers into the kill you kind.

You assume all the asbestos pulled out of the ground stayed in rock form, or that the people working with it weren't surrounded by dust piles, or that they weren't putting the dust into fill dirt that they sold the school or...tell you what, have some light Superfund reading. https://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/cursites/csitinfo.cfm?id=0801744

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

You assume all the asbestos pulled out of the ground stayed in rock form, or that the people working with it weren't surrounded by dust piles, or that they weren't putting the dust into fill dirt that they sold the school or...tell you what, have some light Superfund reading. https://cumulis.epa.gov/supercpad/cursites/csitinfo.cfm?id=0801744

Or had shoveling contests.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Lurking Haro posted:

Or had shoveling contests.

My dad also talked about how they'd throw scraps of zonolite onto open flames to watch it pop and crackle.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

Forgive this naive question:

Did the overall camera image go dark due to the sudden release of a large amount of material that emits a shitload of light because it is hot and the sensor in the camera, probably CCD, responded accordingly?

Or did the overall camera image go dark because fire sprinklers did what they are designed to do and rely on water's high specific heat to suck that thermal poo poo up, release it as steam, and save lives?

My guess is the hot metal put out a ton of infrared light.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Say Nothing posted:

I used to do Radioimmunoassay techniques in my laboratory work a couple of decades ago. I guess I'll die of cancer eventually.

So the best gif poster on something awful is a scientist. gif scientist.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

"The walking ghost phase."

#ourChildhood :hfive:

This is the same area where a group of high school students were out joyriding one night and hit an elk. The elk peeled the roof off the car like a sardine can. They hurried back to town, only to realize one of the kids in the back seat was already dead from massive head injuries.

I'd try and be more specific, but that sort of accident happens once every 5-10 years. It's why there are all the white crosses stuck on the sides of highways in MT.

I'm sure that plenty of those white crosses are from moose collisions, but Montana has a really serious problem with drunk driving. From the Billings Gazette: Montana drivers are the worst in the nation, study shows

I'm not trying to poo poo on Montana, but you can't pin all of those crosses on moose.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I'm sure that plenty of those white crosses are from moose collisions, but Montana has a really serious problem with drunk driving. From the Billings Gazette: Montana drivers are the worst in the nation, study shows

I'm not trying to poo poo on Montana, but you can't pin all of those crosses on moose.

Oh, I wasn't. I was more pointing out that crosses == fatalities on the highway.

http://mtlegion.org/department/highway-fatality-markers.html

I made an effortpost about this somewhere but :effort:

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS

Say Nothing posted:

I used to do Radioimmunoassay techniques in my laboratory work a couple of decades ago. I guess I'll die of cancer eventually.

Does anyone else feel a bit betrayed when Say Nothing says something instead of just posting hosed up gifs?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

My dad worked in the asbestos mines in Libby to pay for college. If the TV ads were right, he'd be dead of mesothelioma 53.7 times by now. Instead, he's walking around with a bit of scarring in his lungs and some light emphysema.

tl;dr: cancer is fuckin' weird and complicated.

I've done research in a mothballed mine that has accessory tremolite and actinolite with the nickel mineralisation and the level of safety we adhered to was insane. We had hazmat suits that had their own airconditioning systems, and had a decontamination spray corridor on the way out.

My dad also talked about how they'd throw scraps of zonolite onto open flames to watch it pop and crackle.

I'm like "wtf zonolite isn't any mineral I've ever heard of!". Was an old brand name I guess.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bird in a Blender posted:

It could very well be related, just took a long time to happen. Not nuclear testing related, but Roger Ebert's cancer was caused by a radiation treatment in his ear when he was a child, and he didn't get cancer until he was 60.

Cancer epidemiology doesn't really work like that. Ebert had first thyroid and then salivary gland cancer. Yes, the fact that he had radiation treatment for plain old uncomplicated ear cancer when he was a kid put him in a high risk group for those cancers, but you still can't say with certainty that his cancers were caused by that. Another major cause of salivary gland cancers is HPV, which almost everyone has.

There are some weird-rear end rare-as-poo poo cancers, like Feynman's liposarcoma, that might point to a specific etiology, and if a bunch of people get a bunch of different weird-rear end rare-as-poo poo cancers, and shared something in common (like being exposed to radiation while working at Los Alamos), then you start being on firmer ground in saying what caused their cancers. Some cancers are caused by specific mutations, and again if you start getting a cluster of those among radiation-exposed workers, you can have a better idea, or if dudes each start getting multiple cancers at the same time. But just one case, in isolation, where a guy was exposed to radiation and then got cancer doesn't say much.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

his dick got parasites.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
gently caress this piscephiliac earth.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Fish are friends, not fucktoys

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Memento posted:

I'm like "wtf zonolite isn't any mineral I've ever heard of!". Was an old brand name I guess.

Ah derp, was trying to remember tremolite, got hung up on, "it's not vermiculite, what the hell word am I reaching for here," and overshot to the brand name.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Oh, I wasn't. I was more pointing out that crosses == fatalities on the highway.

http://mtlegion.org/department/highway-fatality-markers.html

I made an effortpost about this somewhere but :effort:

MT drivers really are the worst. I've had several people comment that I look like a crazy person for repeatedly checking both ways before turning onto a 1 way street.

They have never had to dodge a pickup going the wrong way down a 3 lane one way street on the way to work in the morning. Repeatedly.

Other fun Montana driving "facts": The larger vehicle has the right of way. If you have the clearance, curbs and shrubbery are suggestions. You can run a red light if you honk loud enough before going through, kinda like a siren.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Say Nothing posted:

3H or 32P?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

his dick got parasites.

Is this better or worse than just loving a hole in the fish

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I am pretty sure that until surprisingly recently (like, the last 15 years) Montana had no speed limits and it was legal to drive drunk.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

Worse. Waaaaaaaay worse.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

He's probably going to lose his dick, based on the three minutes of horrified googling I just did.

Wobbulated
Apr 24, 2007

by sebmojo

Sagebrush posted:

I am pretty sure that until surprisingly recently (like, the last 15 years) Montana had no speed limits and it was legal to drive drunk.

The no speed limit thing was true for a while but the last part is BS. Condoned, sometimes, legal, no.

I'm from there, and the drivers do suck but Anchorage Alaska holds the US record for lovely drivers IMO.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

All men have some level prostate cancer anyway.

https://easyhealthoptions.com/all-men-get-prostate-cancer-what-are-you-going-do-about-it/

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Wobbulated posted:

The no speed limit thing was true for a while but the last part is BS. Condoned, sometimes, legal, no.

I'm from there, and the drivers do suck but Anchorage Alaska holds the US record for lovely drivers IMO.

You couldn't drive drunk, but there was no open container law because your copilot needed to be drunk at all times.

They tried to change it around 2000, but as the eleceted representative said at the time, Montana wasn't culturally ready for an open container law.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Nocheez posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

We learned a ton about how tough humans are, but at the cost of our humanity.

We didn't learn poo poo from Axis human experimentation, it was all just Ed Gein psychos torturing people for fun.

C.M. Kruger posted:

No it isn't, pretty much all the "research" they did was useless because it was all stupid poo poo like "dude lets stab this person and see if their twin feels it", "lets give somebody hypothermia and then boil them alive," and vivisecting pregnant women alive, using a test pool of emaciated and diseased subjects. Even as far back as 1949 they knew it was bunk.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJM199005173222006

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Relentless posted:

You couldn't drive drunk, but there was no open container law because your copilot needed to be drunk at all times.

They tried to change it around 2000, but as the eleceted representative said at the time, Montana wasn't culturally ready for an open container law.

The Something Awful Forums > Main > GBS: Home of xenForo 2.0 > OSHA - Montana wasn't culturally ready for an open container law.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Relentless posted:

Open container laws do seem to be a few steps removed, what's the point exactly? If passengers are drinking that doesn't directly impair the person operating the vehicle, and if the driver is the one who had the open container just go ahead and determine they're impaired and charge that.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Open container laws do seem to be a few steps removed, what's the point exactly? If passengers are drinking that doesn't directly impair the person operating the vehicle, and if the driver is the one who had the open container just go ahead and determine they're impaired and charge that.

My uncle and his habit of getting a stiff seven-and-seven in a plastic cup for the road makes me strongly question the NEED for anyone to have alcohol open in their car. Like, seriously, how long are you in the car as a passenger? If you can't hold your DTs for the fifteen minutes it takes to get to the next bar down the road, you're going to die of cirrhosis anyway, so remove yourself from life now and stop wasting resources.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

There’s no container laws anywhere in the EU and it’s never been an issue for getting people off the road.

If you can’t resist boozing while in a car you still need help.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Oh yes, in a perfect world there's no need to be worried about rowdy drunkards distracting the driver. Just like there's no need for seatbelts, right? Open container laws give direct intervention into lovely party cars of young idiots going out to get smashed, in more ways than one.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

There’s no container laws anywhere in the EU and it’s never been an issue for getting people off the road.

If you can’t resist boozing while in a car you still need help.

We don't believe in help here, everyone succeeds or fails based on their individual merits :911:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Serephina posted:

Oh yes, in a perfect world there's no need to be worried about rowdy drunkards distracting the driver. Just like there's no need for seatbelts, right? Open container laws give direct intervention into lovely party cars of young idiots going out to get smashed, in more ways than one.

I have never experienced open container laws and don't understand how it works at all. Wouldn't it be super easy to just get rid of the evidence while driving? To me it sounds more like a source of revenue (because paying for police services through taxation is literally communism) and to give cops another way to harass minorities. "A-ha! This empty bottle in the trunk sure looks like it could have contained alcohol once!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nenonen posted:

To me it sounds more like a source of revenue (because paying for police services through taxation is literally communism) and to give cops another way to harass minorities.

Also teenagers and hoons/street racers and other undesirables.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nenonen posted:

I have never experienced open container laws and don't understand how it works at all. Wouldn't it be super easy to just get rid of the evidence while driving? To me it sounds more like a source of revenue (because paying for police services through taxation is literally communism) and to give cops another way to harass minorities. "A-ha! This empty bottle in the trunk sure looks like it could have contained alcohol once!"

if the container is in your trunk, you couldn't be drinking from it

open container laws exist mainly because for the longest time in many places in the world, it's illegal to be drunk in public. we want a way to keep rowdy drunk people off the streets until they sober up. but before the advent of breath tests how drunk is too drunk? it's easier to criminalize the act of drinking in public since that's less of a judgement call, tho areas do selectively enforce it - nyc cracks down, in southern louisiana there are drive through liquor stores that give you a drink which, so long as it's covered and doesn't have a straw, isn't open container by state law

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 23, 2018

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

boner confessor posted:

if the container is in your trunk, you couldn't be drinking from it

I could easily toss an object to the trunk from the front seat in my station wagon. Or I could just throw it out of the window.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nenonen posted:

I could easily toss an object to the trunk from the front seat in my station wagon. Or I could just throw it out of the window.

thats not what most people would call a trunk but ok

throwing alcoholic beverage containers from your car is a pretty good way to get people to call the police on you as well. i wish you well on your pedantic quest to be arrested by the police

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Just put it in a container with a screw cap lid. Then it's not an open container!

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There's a lot of chat about hypothetical edge cases, and assumptions of a malicious genie police officer. We get it, you're from the states. Things are different elsewhere.

Don't drink and drive. Don't drive while people are still drinking. And don't have your drunk friends try to outsmart the officers after they pull you over for being hooligans. It's not that hard, people.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Serephina posted:

There's a lot of chat about hypothetical edge cases, and assumptions of a malicious genie police officer. We get it, you're from the states. Things are different elsewhere.

I'm from Australia. :v:

Also years ago I used to have a job doing data entry where I was inputting info from police on the spot fines. There was a rule that they could only hand out three one the spot fines during any traffic stop and it was really clear that the cops would sometimes pour over the entire car trying to pick out the three most expensive fines they could levy. The great majority of fines were pretty cut and dry but it was really obvious that if a cop pulled you over and you did something to piss them off they had a whole slew of options when it came to loving up your day. :cop:

My favourite on the spot fine was when a guy got ticketed for speeding or something at a certain location and then a few minutes later he got another ticket for "limb protruding from vehicle" just around the corner, which was the only time I ever saw anyone get that type of fine. It turns out he'd given the cop the finger when he pulled away from the first traffic stop so the cop just popped on the siren, chased him down and ticketed him again. :v:

Also the number of people who are driving around without a valid licence and registration was way way higher than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

...The great majority of fines were pretty cut and dry but it was really obvious that if a cop pulled you over and you did something to piss them off they had a whole slew of options when it came to loving up your day. :cop:

...It turns out he'd given the cop the finger when he pulled away from the first traffic stop so the cop just popped on the siren, chased him down and ticketed him again. :v:

These are known in local Australian cop parlance as "failing the attitude test". Don't give them a reason to make your life shittier by acting like a dickhead.