Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

rio posted:

Wow, Instax makes them that much money? I’ve seen a few scattered out and about but not many. Is it really big overseas?

instax is crazy huge in japan from what ive heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Instax does well in the Philippines, too. Fuji also has a chain of shops here that provide photo services and sell Fuji products.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

rio posted:

Wow, Instax makes them that much money? I’ve seen a few scattered out and about but not many. Is it really big overseas?

Instax makes Fuji more money than all its digital cameras.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I asked an Instax question in the Instant photography thread but nobody answered me, does anybody own an Instax Wide 210 or 300 here?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

What's the deal with the Acros profile for Fuji cameras? It's supposed to 'dynamically apply grain effects depending on ISO setting' - so does the choice of strong/weak/off for grain effect in the IQ menu not apply to Acros? Or does it apply dynamic grain less or more aggressively when 'weak' or 'strong' grain options are selected in the menu?

Does it not apply the dynamic grain effect if 'none' is chosen in the IQ menu, or do menu-selected grain effects appear in addition to the dynamic grain applied by the film sim?

Maybe the choice of grain effect doesn't change the appearance of the image at all, when Acros is the selected profile?

The manual for the X-T2 doesn't seem to say anything at all about dynamic grain effects with Acros.

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat
Hey thread, I noticed some Auto ISO weirdness from my Fuji x100 yesterday and I thought I'd see what you all thought about it. Basically, there is a discrepancy between the EVF and OVF with regards to what the camera sets the ISO to when I try to take a picture. I tested it back and forth, pointed at the same subject in the same lighting: with the EVF, it seems fairly accurate, leaning underexposed generally, but with the OVF engaged, the ISO sets itself significantly higher. In my test, IIRC it changed from around ISO 320 to ISO 1200, and again from ISO 650 to ISO 1600 or even ISO 2000 — making those pictures overexposed and unnecessarily grainy. Does the x100 use different light sensors depending on if it's using EVF vs OVF? It's confusing and I'd love to keep using the OVF, but as-is I have just fallen back on the EVF for now.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

SMERSH Mouth posted:

What's the deal with the Acros profile for Fuji cameras? It's supposed to 'dynamically apply grain effects depending on ISO setting' - so does the choice of strong/weak/off for grain effect in the IQ menu not apply to Acros? Or does it apply dynamic grain less or more aggressively when 'weak' or 'strong' grain options are selected in the menu?

Does it not apply the dynamic grain effect if 'none' is chosen in the IQ menu, or do menu-selected grain effects appear in addition to the dynamic grain applied by the film sim?

Maybe the choice of grain effect doesn't change the appearance of the image at all, when Acros is the selected profile?

The manual for the X-T2 doesn't seem to say anything at all about dynamic grain effects with Acros.

The dynamic grain setting is independent of the grain option. Choosing to add more grain will do exactly that but you can't shut off Acros' inherent grain. I leave my grain setting to off and am very happy with my sooc b&w jpegs.

Keret posted:

Hey thread, I noticed some Auto ISO weirdness from my Fuji x100 yesterday and I thought I'd see what you all thought about it. Basically, there is a discrepancy between the EVF and OVF with regards to what the camera sets the ISO to when I try to take a picture. I tested it back and forth, pointed at the same subject in the same lighting: with the EVF, it seems fairly accurate, leaning underexposed generally, but with the OVF engaged, the ISO sets itself significantly higher. In my test, IIRC it changed from around ISO 320 to ISO 1200, and again from ISO 650 to ISO 1600 or even ISO 2000 — making those pictures overexposed and unnecessarily grainy. Does the x100 use different light sensors depending on if it's using EVF vs OVF? It's confusing and I'd love to keep using the OVF, but as-is I have just fallen back on the EVF for now.

Do you by chance set to spotmetering?

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 25, 2018

Keret
Aug 26, 2012

Soiled Meat

8th-snype posted:

Do you by chance set to spotmetering?

I've always kept it set to "Multi.” Honestly I kind of forgot about the photometry (metering) modes that it has. :shobon: Maybe that has something to do with it?

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

rio posted:

they're incredibly popular with uni students in the uk, i'd say that instax cameras outnumber any other type of camera 3 to 1. about a third of the students i know have a wall adorned with instax snapshots.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

whatever7 posted:

I asked an Instax question in the Instant photography thread but nobody answered me, does anybody own an Instax Wide 210 or 300 here?

I have the 300.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ReverendHammer posted:

I have the 300.

hi dude, can you make the flash fire all the time?

If not, is the light meter in obvious place you can fool it with a gel and force the flash?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is the Fuji X100F worth the $1200 versus a X100S or X100T for $5-600-ish?
Plan is to bring it as my only camera to Japan for two weeks in April.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 26, 2018

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

BlackMK4 posted:

Yes. 100%. The S & T are good cameras but the F is a mini Xpro2.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

BlackMK4 posted:

I know everyone loves their X100F, but I don’t feel like I can ever shoot mine wide open because how soft it is. I still like having it, but I don’t think the extra resolution is necessary because of that. I like it takes the same battery as the X-Ts and the focus joystick, if you can live without those. Personally I think an X100T would be the better value without having used one. Maybe I’m missing something else.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Wow, I didn’t know that Ts were getting so affordable. Very tempting. That said, going from the x-t1 to the x-t2 as my point of reference, the performance is really much better with the 2 and I assume that is the difference between the T and F as well. I use my x-T1 as a second body and it is certainly capable though, and I used my OG X-100 well past its prime so the T is tempting at that price.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SimpleCoax posted:

I know everyone loves their X100F, but I don’t feel like I can ever shoot mine wide open because how soft it is. I still like having it, but I don’t think the extra resolution is necessary because of that. I like it takes the same battery as the X-Ts and the focus joystick, if you can live without those. Personally I think an X100T would be the better value without having used one. Maybe I’m missing something else.

I shoot mine wide open all the time. It's just as sharp as my other Fuji lenses, except the 90mm f/2 and except at very close distances.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

SimpleCoax posted:

It's probably ok if you're shooting at a distance, but it does get soft when you do close-up wide-open.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Yeah I've just never noticed an appreciable difference even at portrait distances.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

8th-snype posted:

I shoot mine wide open all the time. It's just as sharp as my other Fuji lenses, except the 90mm f/2 and except at very close distances.

Wide open is pretty soft on my X100S. But I don't care about sharpness or high resolution.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

Hair Elf

alkanphel posted:

It's probably ok if you're shooting at a distance, but it does get soft when you do close-up wide-open.

Yeah I just feel like the reason I want something like the X100F is the ability to take a portrait and now I won’t go past f2.8 because every time I get a good portrait I always wish it was sharper. My X-T2 with the 27mm is drat near the same size and sharp, which has had me debating keeping the X100F, but now if I ever get a X-H1 I will want the X100F. Anyway, if an X100T is half the price I would probably get that or a used X100F.

spooky wizard
May 8, 2007

I've been primarily practicing photography using film cameras, and want to jump into mirrorless for travel. Landscape shots, architecture, maybe the occasional portrait outdoors. Low light would be helpful.

Can you guys recommend a camera + lens for under a grand to start with? I was looking at the a6000 but not sure if sony is the way to go.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

RoryGilmore posted:

I've been primarily practicing photography using film cameras, and want to jump into mirrorless for travel. Landscape shots, architecture, maybe the occasional portrait outdoors. Low light would be helpful.

Can you guys recommend a camera + lens for under a grand to start with? I was looking at the a6000 but not sure if sony is the way to go.

Olympus om-d e-m5 Mk ii, Panasonic 20mm pancake.
Or, Panasonic GX85, 20mm pancake, and saves you a few hundred to spend on a second lens once you know what you want.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

SimpleCoax posted:

Yeah I just feel like the reason I want something like the X100F is the ability to take a portrait and now I won’t go past f2.8 because every time I get a good portrait I always wish it was sharper. My X-T2 with the 27mm is drat near the same size and sharp, which has had me debating keeping the X100F, but now if I ever get a X-H1 I will want the X100F. Anyway, if an X100T is half the price I would probably get that or a used X100F.

I've owned all the x100's, they're all somewhat soft wide open, especially towards the edges of the frame and close to the subject, the manual even recommends stopping down to f/4 for closeup work, and the depth of field at those distances is a sliver. Part of the 'experience' is that the camera has sweet spots and isn't ideal for everything.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

SimpleCoax posted:

Why don't you just use the 18-55 with your XT2, if you want to take the occasional portrait? I'm not sure why you'd get the X100F if you also got the XH1.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

RoryGilmore posted:

I started with an Olympus OMD EM5 and a 12-50mm and added a couple primes when I could, i would do the same again. If you are willing to buy refurb you could get a nice deal straight from Olympus.

There are a million Fuji fans here who can recommend a similar, or in their mind better, deal from Fuji.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

RoryGilmore posted:

Get an used ricoh GR.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Sony A7 III is likely to be announced in ~15 mins. Here's what the latest rumours think the specs will be:

24 mp
7 fps
425 contrast points
167 phase detection
Joystick
Z battery
Touch Screen
4k recording 24, 25 and 30 fps
1080p 24, 25, 30 and 60 fps
$1899 USD

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Digital Jesus posted:

Sony A7 III is likely to be announced in ~15 mins. Here's what the latest rumours think the specs will be:

24 mp
7 fps
425 contrast points
167 phase detection
Joystick
Z battery
Touch Screen
$1899 USD

Sounds somewhat competitive, especially for video. I assume it won’t be built like a tank though?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Finger Prince posted:

Olympus om-d e-m5 Mk ii, Panasonic 20mm pancake.
Or, Panasonic GX85, 20mm pancake, and saves you a few hundred to spend on a second lens once you know what you want.

Add the 42.5 portrait lens and enjoy tack sharp portraits at f1.7 on both lenses.

(I'm still using nothing but the 15 1.7 and the 42.5 1.7, I think I'll cart this 25 along for another month before leaving it at home for my wife to use for kid shots while I'm at work)

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Digital Jesus posted:

24 mp
7 fps
425 contrast points
167 phase detection
Joystick
Z battery
Touch Screen
$1899 USD
Actually spent the morning looking at the Sony fullframe A series after someone recommended the original A7 as a good buy. Looks awfully similar to the Fuji X-H1?

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

Hair Elf

alkanphel posted:

Why don't you just use the 18-55 with your XT2, if you want to take the occasional portrait? I'm not sure why you'd get the X100F if you also got the XH1.

At a wedding I can put the X100F in my pocket if I’m mostly there to have a good time. Also exactly the time I want to get a portrait for example, but maybe the future is bokeh on phones now for such a situation. I disagree that an X-H1 would apply to all situations. Anyway I just got off topic after giving my convoluted opinion of an X100 model.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

The Sony unveiling thing is happening now, live stream a few places.

I'm watching at http://sonyaddict.com/

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I straight up use the x100f as a second camera at weddings I'm being paid to photograph. My last wedding I shot a ton of candids with the WCL.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Digital Jesus posted:

24 mp
7 fps
425 contrast points
167 phase detection
Joystick
Z battery
Touch Screen
$1899 USD

It's right at the point of having no glaring specification deficiencies. And cheaper than the other current cameras in the 7 series. I'd still take an RII over it, though.

Also, regarding the softness of the X100 lens at f/2; this is something I've noticed in the XF 23/2 as well. It's only at close range, but it has the sort of 'uncorrected spherical aberration' look that I've seen before in the Nikon 50/1.4 Ai-S at maximum aperture. (Interestingly, my Ukranian SSR-made 50/2 has better wide-open detail reproduction.) The Fuji 23/2 is still sharper than the Nikon lens at 1.4, but it's got the same sort of 'designed' softness they say is useful for portraits. The neat trick is that it renders with more sharpness as you focus it farther away, which makes it usable wide open for more scenic subjects.

But if that's woke, what's broke is that while f2 is fine for close portraits in good light, the combination of soft edges and high ISO sensitivity does kind of make it suck a little bit for pictures of people close-up in low-light situations. Relatively speaking, compared to the 23/1.4.

Edit: addendum to the above. I tested this out a little more and, looking back at my recent photos with this lens wide open in low light, the zone of focus is actually sharp. Not really any less so than 2.8. It's just that the transition zone is kind of harsh, and the out of focus highlights have a lot of fringing. But all of the really softer-looking pictures I've got from using this wide open are, now that I look closer, mostly due to misfocus... i.e. sharp, just not where I expected.

But how's the 56/1.2 wide open in low light, for people pictures? Great? That's sort of becoming the next item on my list of lenses to buy. Hi

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 27, 2018

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Preorders open Wednesday. Available April.

I can see wanting the A7R2 over it for the resolution, but I think the improved AF, Z battery and joystick put me over the edge for the A73.

This camera looks pretty amazing right? I'm not just blinded by wanting a new toy? I was thinking of picking up an A7R2 already, I even almost talked myself into buying an A7R3... but this looks pretty fantastic if I don't care about having 40+ megapixels.

Digital Jesus fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 27, 2018

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Yeah the A7iii's stats looks amazing. At this point I'm wondering if I should ditch my a6500 for the A7iii's. It'd be nice to get the higher DR, better battery and full frame low light performance.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Just wait a few months for the A7IV to come out.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

whatever7 posted:

hi dude, can you make the flash fire all the time?

If not, is the light meter in obvious place you can fool it with a gel and force the flash?

Yeah, you can switch the flash to fire all the time. Just a simple button press.

BTW, there is a thread for instant film shooting: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3569929

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SMERSH Mouth posted:

But how's the 56/1.2 wide open in low light, for people pictures? Great? That's sort of becoming the next item on my list of lenses to buy.

It's very good, just don't expect to always nail focus wide open in the dark because it's not FF f/1.2 slow focusing but it's slower than any LM lens. This isn't super low light but it's f/1.2 at ISO 2500 in mediocre window light.
https://imgur.com/a/ycFi8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

bobfather posted:

Just wait a few months for the A7IV to come out.

the a7ii was released over 3 years ago... that's more than the fuji x-t1 to x-t2

I'm glad they brought over the same body as the a7riii and button layout, it's really nice.