Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Yeah, staying in the air a lot is a good thing. From what I can tell: Flying isn't slower than running, it's just that you can't build speed. So if you take off at max speed, you're free to stay in the air as long as you want. I also think turning is easier while flying, but your milage may vary.

That being said, if you have a little bit of air and want to get back to the ground to keep accelerating, hold the fly button and the brakes to do an air brake that preserves speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Also don't underestimate the power of just resting your arms a bit when flying and getting the lay of the land. There's a lot of shortcuts and stuff hiding above the tracks that you notice easier when you're not frantically swinging your arms and focusing on getting the highest speed. Most of my victories usually start off in disaster, so speed isn't as vital.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.techspot.com/news/73382-qualcomm-unveils-snapdragon-845-powered-reference-vr-headset.html

Foveated rendering? I wonder if it's just supported in the chip, or if it's actually implemented in the reference headset.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

PerrineClostermann posted:

https://www.techspot.com/news/73382-qualcomm-unveils-snapdragon-845-powered-reference-vr-headset.html

Foveated rendering? I wonder if it's just supported in the chip, or if it's actually implemented in the reference headset.

From the wording of the article it seems like they built the chipset to specifically support 2400x2400 resolution per eye, mostly thanks to the foveated rendering.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

Well foveated rendering can easily be handled by an engine (demoed in UE a long time ago) once you have an idea of where the eye is pointed. The real problem is figuring out where the eye is pointed in a quick enough/accurate enough manner to make it usable.

From my reading they want to support it (obviously you need eye tracking) but I don't think it's supported in the ref. headset. They are just showing they can support that high res, at 120 fps. No one said it will be more complicated then PS1 graphics however.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
I don’t get it.

4th sensor on the rift makes things crazy cleaner. I don’t understand how adding more usb poo poo made tracking better facing the existing cameras but somehow it did.

So I guess I’m suggesting adding a 4th if you can.

Man I’m oddly shocked.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I'm sorry if this is a basic question, but the OP is like a year out of date. Are newcomers best advised to wait for the Vive Pro right now if they're looking into getting a VR set? I've done some reading both in this thread and elsewhere, and it seems like people are more impressed with Oculus right now, but it doesn't seem like there's an Oculus Pro in the pipeline any time soon, just standalone devices without PC horsepower behind them. I have a near top-of-the-line rig with a 1080 ti, so I'm not at all interested in the Oculus Go. Is the Vive Pro going to be enough of an upgrade that I should wait for it instead of getting an Oculus?

I'm also really interested in whichever platform is going to have a good wireless option too, because dragging cables around the room seems like the sort of thing that'd drive me crazy. I saw there's an official Vive wireless adapter in the pipeline, is there something similar for Oculus?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Phenotype posted:

I'm sorry if this is a basic question, but the OP is like a year out of date. Are newcomers best advised to wait for the Vive Pro right now if they're looking into getting a VR set? I've done some reading both in this thread and elsewhere, and it seems like people are more impressed with Oculus right now, but it doesn't seem like there's an Oculus Pro in the pipeline any time soon, just standalone devices without PC horsepower behind them. I have a near top-of-the-line rig with a 1080 ti, so I'm not at all interested in the Oculus Go. Is the Vive Pro going to be enough of an upgrade that I should wait for it instead of getting an Oculus?

I'm also really interested in whichever platform is going to have a good wireless option too, because dragging cables around the room seems like the sort of thing that'd drive me crazy. I saw there's an official Vive wireless adapter in the pipeline, is there something similar for Oculus?

Yeah, I mean, If price isnt any option yeah wait a little bit unless you want in "right now".

I still prefer my touch controllers, but I'm ALMOST in the "if you have any interest in the pro, get the vive and upgrade or wait" camp.

With what you sound like you want. You might wanna wait or go vive. The cable thing will drive you nuts on rift even if the controllers are better™.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you're willing to throw bang-for-your-buck out the window, get a Vive Pro. If you aren't, get a Rift.

Alternatively, if you don't mind spending 100-300 extra dollars for "full body" tracking (feet and hips), get a Vive.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Phenotype posted:

It's worth noting that the first Vive Pro offering is going to be a headset only upgrade, which means it only works for those who already own the rest of the package (or someone with ridiculous amounts of money willing to buy both). Last I heard the complete package is expected much later this year.

Beyond that, yeah, both the Rift and the Vive have their own advantages but they're more or less at parity, and the Rift is cheaper, so most people suggest the Rift if you're going to buy right now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bremen posted:

It's worth noting that the first Vive Pro offering is going to be a headset only upgrade, which means it only works for those who already own the rest of the package (or someone with ridiculous amounts of money willing to buy both). Last I heard the complete package is expected much later this year.

If that's the case, I wonder if the full retail package will actually have the Knuckle controllers. Valve's been silent on those for months now.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If that's the case, I wonder if the full retail package will actually have the Knuckle controllers. Valve's been silent on those for months now.

I suspect Knuckle controllers are not going to be a part of the HTC ecosystem anytime soon. I am not sure if they aren't being made available to HTC or if they are just don't want to use them. I wouldn't be surprised if Valve starts selling them directly like the steam controller.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I suspect Knuckle controllers are not going to be a part of the HTC ecosystem anytime soon. I am not sure if they aren't being made available to HTC or if they are just don't want to use them. I wouldn't be surprised if Valve starts selling them directly like the steam controller.

I dunno, it just seems like a weirdly arbitrary choice to not release a full package in tandem unless they're waiting on something in development. We know it's not the wireless link (it's standalone) or the new lighthouses. Even the software's the same. The only thing left is the controllers.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bremen posted:

Beyond that, yeah, both the Rift and the Vive have their own advantages but they're more or less at parity, and the Rift is cheaper, so most people suggest the Rift if you're going to buy right now.

I think if money was no object, at all, I'd still go rift first. The pro isnt out yet, and I'd want VR now. The Rift gives me touch controls, lower entry cost, and since money is no object, the plunk down later for a vive pro if i got super into it would be worth it potentially. And maybe by then, oculus will be all like "hey so heres this new higher res headset for 200 more".

If I had to only buy one, ehhh wait and get a pro maybe. I really really really really love touch, a lot. I dunno if I'd be happy with wands, but that resolution.

Or not.
Idk I like my rifts a lot.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You mean the vaporware that people keep thinking will be out tomorrow?
I hate to be a jerk but lets not pretend they exist in the real world yet. They are the Half Life 3 of VR gear.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I dunno, it just seems like a weirdly arbitrary choice to not release a full package in tandem unless they're waiting on something in development. We know it's not the wireless link (it's standalone) or the new lighthouses. Even the software's the same. The only thing left is the controllers.

It has been confirmed that it will not be Knuckles. It will be a Vive-Pro-blue-tinted version of the wands which will have dual compatibility with both lighthouse versions.

The current talk around town is that the Knuckles are too expensive to produce en masse, and Valve wants them to be cheap enough that lots (most?) of people will buy them so as not to create design-for-multiple-controller-hell for developers.

There may be other issues too; the Horseshoe Grenades guy was saying they kinda feel crap for holding guns, as opposed to great for holding swords. There may be further design iterations if feedback like this from the dev kits are taken seriously.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 22, 2018

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

EbolaIvory posted:

I don’t get it.

4th sensor on the rift makes things crazy cleaner. I don’t understand how adding more usb poo poo made tracking better facing the existing cameras but somehow it did.

Man I’m oddly shocked.

This sounds like it sucks, man. Four sensors??

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Would someone please link the better visor pad for the Rift? The one you recommended pages ago for people gettin' sweaty? The standard foam pad sucks so badly for anything even remotely active.

Also, if I'm remembering correctly, for Sprint Vector there was a Rift controller skin recommended that helps cut down on the accidental menu button presses. If I could also get a link for that it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks!

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^https://vrcover.com/shop/

EbolaIvory posted:

I don’t get it.

Man I’m oddly shocked.
Sounds like something was wrong with your three-camera setup? It should be totally clean with just three. Maybe USB issues on one of the three, or positioning isn't quite right or something

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Bremen posted:

Well, I don't own anything right now haha, so the choice really seems to be waiting till Q3-Q4 for the Vive Pro or getting a Rift now. I don't mind the extra wait or the extra price for the Vive, and I'm okay with buying extra Rift sensors for better room-scale VR, but I'm not throwing the money at a package now and then getting an upgraded set within a year. I just want to be able to play fun games in the most fun way, and it seems like the Rift's controllers might be more important than the higher resolutions on the Vive(?).

The wireless thing is something I'm definitely interested in though, does anyone have any experience with the TPcast Rift wireless adapter that comes up when I search, supposed to have released last December? I see that there's an official Vive wireless adapter coming, but it's hard to search for wireless Oculus stuff because I keep getting hits for their standalone VR set.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I own a vive and am having zero issues with the controllers. :shrug:

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Truga posted:

I own a vive and am having zero issues with the controllers. :shrug:

Same. I’ve never used Rift controllers, but I’ve never had any complaints with my Vive controllers, other than not being totally happy with the touchpad when it’s used as 4 separate buttons (which isn’t very common). The only games they don’t seem to work as well for are the Oculus exclusives through Revive, and those are usually fine after a little tinkering with the Revive settings too.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Fallout 4 continues to be incredible. I find myself not playing it for longer than a couple hours at a time, but it's so amazing to just drop into a world like that whenever you want. I never got into the DLC at all in pancake and the robot building stuff is so much fun, Ada is a friggin pack mule and she doesn't talk much, the perfect companion.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

El Grillo posted:

^^https://vrcover.com/shop/

Sounds like something was wrong with your three-camera setup? It should be totally clean with just three. Maybe USB issues on one of the three, or positioning isn't quite right or something

Nothing’s changed. I plugged in my 4th sensor. That’s it.

And no. Usb isn’t the issue. Oddly enough I had no real problems. It’s not like tracking was bad before, it’s just visibly better with the 4th.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

You mean the vaporware that people keep thinking will be out tomorrow?
I hate to be a jerk but lets not pretend they exist in the real world yet. They are the Half Life 3 of VR gear.

Well said. Valve loving SUCKS and aren't pulling their weight into the VR industry like Oculus is and I'm a Vive user. Thank god for Revive.

Speaking of vaperware, I love that there's no news on those 3 Valve VR games. Valve was supposed to have a dev talk last year about it and instead remained radio silent. Valve is the classic example of how a near monopoly ruins the innovative spirit. Those lazy sacks of poo poo spoiled by flat hierarchy and profit sharing still haven't managed to add ASW into SteamVR either.

At this point I have more respect for HTC than I do for Valve. At least HTC actually is funding vr devs despite being financially troubled themselves.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 22, 2018

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
at this point i have more respect for oculus than i do valve

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Waiting for Valve to do literally anything, let alone anything exciting in the gaming world is an exercise in frustration.

Facebook will at least throw their weight around a bit for Oculus.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

EbolaIvory posted:

Nothing’s changed. I plugged in my 4th sensor. That’s it.

And no. Usb isn’t the issue. Oddly enough I had no real problems. It’s not like tracking was bad before, it’s just visibly better with the 4th.

What do you find has gotten better? I'd love to hear a comparison. I've noticed stuff I put down to shaky hands or my GPU, but maybe an extra sensor would help all else being equal.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Surprise Giraffe posted:

What do you find has gotten better? I'd love to hear a comparison. I've noticed stuff I put down to shaky hands or my GPU, but maybe an extra sensor would help all else being equal.

I feel like (and could be entirely in my head) that things feel a little more stable when holding guns and stuff free hand in games like stand out.

More so pointing to my right where the 4th camera is behind me.

Plus the small dead spots in that corner no longer exist.

Imo pickup a second touch set for backups and a camera imo.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

The Walrus posted:

All they had to do to look respectable was drum out the alt-righter and the guy who was purchasing underage prostitutes.

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/oculus-engineering-leader-pleads-not-guilty-accusations-soliciting-sex-undercover-cop-posing-15-year-old-girl/

I forgot how funny that was... guy shows up expecting 15-year-old prostitute, finds cops, and says "I was coming to rescue her Taxi Driver style!"

Does Valve have anything this scandalous? I'd be surprised if there's not at least some Me Too bullshit.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

All they had to do to look respectable was drum out the alt-righter and the guy who was purchasing underage prostitutes.

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/oculus-engineering-leader-pleads-not-guilty-accusations-soliciting-sex-undercover-cop-posing-15-year-old-girl/

I forgot how funny that was... guy shows up expecting 15-year-old prostitute, finds cops, and says "I was coming to rescue her Taxi Driver style!"

Does Valve have anything this scandalous? I'd be surprised if there's not at least some Me Too bullshit.

https://kotaku.com/counter-strike-co-creator-arrested-for-sexually-exploit-1822648715

womp womp

iceaim
May 20, 2001

The Walrus posted:

Oh I strongly agree with that too. I have played some really amazing Oculus funded games. The level of bias in /r/vive is pathetic. A massive amount of neckbeards in there are really eager to defend a near monopoly and refuse to use Revive because reasons.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 22, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Terrorists win...

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Cannot believe I hadn't tried Bullets and More before today. Real fun, feels more fluid in some ways than Pavlov or Onward.

On that note, is there a steam group or something for VR goons to play games? Feel like that would be a good idea to be able to know at a glance if you have any other VR people available.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im finally back in a place where I can use my Vive again

whats some good poo poo to try out. I'm on the second floor, so nothing...jumpy please.

I'm playing some Hotdogs Horseshoes Handgrenades, Virtual Desktop, and Rec Room.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

eonwe posted:

im finally back in a place where I can use my Vive again

whats some good poo poo to try out. I'm on the second floor, so nothing...jumpy please.

I'm playing some Hotdogs Horseshoes Handgrenades, Virtual Desktop, and Rec Room.

Sprint Vector

The best VR experience out right now. Watching the owner count dwindle on Steamspy has been depressing.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Sprint Vector

The best VR experience out right now. Watching the owner count dwindle on Steamspy has been depressing.

Actually Echo Arena is the best VR game

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Sprint Vector

Yeah, Well when you cant play with your friends that happens. I've loaded it once since launch because of it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Cannot believe I hadn't tried Bullets and More before today. Real fun, feels more fluid in some ways than Pavlov or Onward.

On that note, is there a steam group or something for VR goons to play games? Feel like that would be a good idea to be able to know at a glance if you have any other VR people available.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/vrgoons
There's a discord linked in the OP but it's not hugely active.
Hopefully some day there will be community functions on Oculus Home.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Aww yeah lookit this poo poo. One tenth of a second!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Sprint Vector currently discounted 52% on Oculus FYI. Only for the next 22 hours or something though.