Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

HexiDave posted:

I love digging into abandoned code:

code:
public void GenerateFromHeightmap(float[,] map1, float[,] map2, float[,] map3, float[,] map4, byte type1, byte type2, byte type3, byte type4, int offsetX, int offsetY, int offsetZ, int halfsize)
    {
      throw new Exception("TODO 7/15/2014 2:24:00 PM Steve");
    }
I haven't gotten around to actually tinkering with their terrain code yet to see what I could tear out to replace with a cached-model version, but it looks like they really did go 100% deep on the voxel engine for everything. I'll eventually figure out where to start converting everything, and then we'll see how much more performance could be gained.

does C# not obfuscate any code at all?! you can decomplile straight into source? wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Bhodi posted:

does C# not obfuscate any code at all?! you can decomplile straight into source? wtf

You lose the names of things like method-local variables (no reason to emit those into the IL) but yes, .NET stuff is trivially decompilable. Commercial obfuscators exist but most game devs don't bother because it doesn't really matter, also, nerds will break your poo poo eventually anyway. See: Minecraft.

Also to be pedantically correct there are IL constructs that aren't valid in C# and some decompilers have issues with some of the crazier features in newer versions of the language. But in general the above is true.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
Yeah, you can get a ton of code to show up, but there are definitely very broken sections of code where the decompiler just shrugs and says "close enough".

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

HexiDave posted:

Not to pile more on, but any word on a 'titanium ingot to regular titanium again' recipe mod?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So can you actually kill reapers, and do they respawn if they die? These fuckers are starting to piss me off. This is my ocean dammit.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Internet Kraken posted:

So can you actually kill reapers, and do they respawn if they die? These fuckers are starting to piss me off. This is my ocean dammit.

Yee-haw cowboy, take your prawn grappling arm and go for a ride! (or just use a stasis rifle if you're boring)

You can kill them. I don't know if they respawn.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

TheParadigm posted:

Not to pile more on, but any word on a 'titanium ingot to regular titanium again' recipe mod?

Actually, I did mean to check on that. Gonna be firing up mod stuff shortly - was just poking at the game's guts to see what the gently caress was going on with the voxels.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

endlessmonotony posted:

Yee-haw cowboy, take your prawn grappling arm and go for a ride! (or just use a stasis rifle if you're boring)

You can kill them. I don't know if they respawn.

I wish. Don't have the prawn grappling arm. Or the drill. Or any other prawn gear for that matter. First time i played I got every single prawn arm but couldn't build the prawn itself. This run I have the prawn but no arms to put on it.

To try and make things more interesting I built my base in the bulb forest near the Aurora, and am trying to to only use local resources. Problem is there are tons of reapers around. If I'm gonna stay dedicated to staying local for most of my harvesting it would be nice to kill some of them. I kind of wanna try making a ton of gas torpedos and outfitting a seamoth for war with them.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

HexiDave posted:

code:
public void GenerateFromHeightmap(float[,] map1, float[,] map2, float[,] map3, float[,] map4, byte type1, byte type2, byte type3, byte type4, int offsetX, int offsetY, int offsetZ, int halfsize)
    {
      throw new Exception("TODO 7/15/2014 2:24:00 PM Steve");
    }
I haven't gotten around to actually tinkering with their terrain code yet to see what I could tear out to replace with a cached-model version, but it looks like they really did go 100% deep on the voxel engine for everything. I'll eventually figure out where to start converting everything, and then we'll see how much more performance could be gained.

Doing gods work :) keep it up. This game could use some performance help.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I got a pleasant little surprise when Alterra HQ phoned in to tell me about the Neptune Rocket and I quickly realised it was Appsro and Neebs, who are the main reason I bought this game in the first place.

Gave me the inspiration to actually go over to the Aurora and get it all sorted the gently caress out.

Next on the itinerary would be finding modification station and power cell fragments.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmao my first hardcore playthrough ended 10 hours in because i decided to push my luck in a wreck that was confusingly laid out (for reference, it's a really large one about 270m down in the grand reef) and then couldn't find my way out when i got down to 30 seconds of oxygen left.

like i even said to myself after exploring the first door i cut through that i should go back and refill my oxygen with the seamoth because i knew i was gonna get lost and then i said 'gently caress it' and kept going anyway rofl

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
On the subject of things that need to be fixed, they need to make it so you can't exit the seamoth and somehow be damaged by it in the process. Its usually just a minor annoyance but I just went from near full health to dead because the seamoth rammed me multiple times :regd09:

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Internet Kraken posted:

I wish. Don't have the prawn grappling arm. Or the drill. Or any other prawn gear for that matter. First time i played I got every single prawn arm but couldn't build the prawn itself. This run I have the prawn but no arms to put on it.

To try and make things more interesting I built my base in the bulb forest near the Aurora, and am trying to to only use local resources. Problem is there are tons of reapers around. If I'm gonna stay dedicated to staying local for most of my harvesting it would be nice to kill some of them. I kind of wanna try making a ton of gas torpedos and outfitting a seamoth for war with them.

Plan B then - build a grow bed near reaper, fill it with tiger plants, bait reaper to swim over it and trap it with stasis, then swim so tiger plants shoot you and hit the reaper instead.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

TheParadigm posted:

Got this working:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgIvI7JfJfY

Updated release here: https://github.com/HexiDave/SubnauticaMods/releases/latest

This changes Metal Scrap to give 5x Titanium instead of 4x, but you can now convert Titanium Ingots into 2x Scrap metal - giving you a full circle of resource crafting. You can now effectively squirrel away a ton of Titanium by crafting it into Ingots for storage. I might be able to have alternate crafting recipes later (so we can do Ingots -> Titanium directly), but the game doesn't store crafting data that way and this was fairly easy to do without being a massive rear end-pain.

I'll release an update for lower power-usage on Cyclops sonar - it's currently 10 power per usage, so maybe half? Currently, with the CyclopsPower mod from my kit you can plug nuclear reactor rods into the Cyclops' upgrades to counter most of that already, so I'm not sure if going further would be good or overkill.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Pyromancer posted:

Plan B then - build a grow bed near reaper, fill it with tiger plants, bait reaper to swim over it and trap it with stasis, then swim so tiger plants shoot you and hit the reaper instead.

This might of been more effective than using gas torpedos.

I mean I killed it but it took over a locker of torpedos, and it didn't even die from them. I had to spend a minute knifing it to death after exhausting my supply. I dunno how much health they have, so maybe the torpedos did a ton of damage and it would of taken forever with just the knife. But I swear half the torpedos somehow missed and blew up on thin air anyways.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've never fired a single torpedo but if a leviathan so much as looks at me funny I sortie in my PRAWN and lay into it with grapple plus drill.

I realize this was already mentioned but I just need to pipe in about how satisfying it is. There's a point where they try to escape but can't because you're attached to them.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

WaffleLove posted:

Doing gods work :) keep it up. This game could use some performance help.

code:
UWE.Utils.LogReport("We don't support multiple tags per face yet....steve should get rid of this possibility.", null);
God damnit, Steve.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

HexiDave posted:

Slay the popin. Please. You know its the right thing to do.

Wonder what happened to Steve and why so much went unfixed.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Wonder what happened to Steve and why so much went unfixed.

He glitched through the ground just as he was about to fix some bugs, apparently.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Couldn't make it to the QA meeting as he was busy marching in Charlottesville

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Section Z posted:

People falling through the earth is apparently still claimed to be a high priority, but it's been an issue with the game for well over a year now. And they still launched with it that way :sigh:

I was slingshotting around with my prawn suit and flew through unloaded terrain. Only managed to save myself by a well timed grapple into the tube from the lost river leading to the lava area

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've had Warpers warp me out of the world geometry, even though they were not situated outside the world themselves. A few of the times I was able to swim back into the normal play area, but one time I swam into a tiny hollow pocket that was between me and the normal world and got trapped and had to wait to drown.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I was playing hardcore, exploring the Lost River biome and popping out of my seamoth to pick up resources and scan things. Turned to go back to my seamoth just in time to watch it get exploded by a Ghost Leviathan. 85 seconds of air, time to go back to the surface. I said "Oh, fuuuuuck" loud enough to wake up a sleeping cat.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Before I go and attempt to, is it possible to make more than one seamoth? I'm thinking of building one or two more as backups incase I lose one, and then can just hop right into another.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Falken posted:

Before I go and attempt to, is it possible to make more than one seamoth? I'm thinking of building one or two more as backups incase I lose one, and then can just hop right into another.

You can make as many as you can afford in resources.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

just lol if you haven't got a whole fleet of fully upgraded torpedo-armed seamoths stashed in various strategic locations throughout every biome

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

man, some people really go all-out with their bases

https://imgur.com/gallery/ZYkW4

https://imgur.com/gallery/EPBV4

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Well that just makes me feel inadequate. I thought I'd made a pretty pimped-out base, but I can see that I need to step up my game.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cobbsprite posted:

I was playing hardcore, exploring the Lost River biome and popping out of my seamoth to pick up resources and scan things. Turned to go back to my seamoth just in time to watch it get exploded by a Ghost Leviathan. 85 seconds of air, time to go back to the surface. I said "Oh, fuuuuuck" loud enough to wake up a sleeping cat.

I had something similar happen to me. I wrote up a version of it in this thread, and also posted it here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/7zfzur/i_cant_believe_im_still_alive_that_was_one_wild/

I assume your trip didn't go as well.

(My seamoth would have certainly blown up if I hadn't had a reinforcement mod on it, when I finally got it back it was down to like 23% health.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I was using the Cyclops and the prawn suit when I got to the lost river, mainly because I had lost two seamoths to a reaper lethiathan by that point and seriously didn't want anything that weak going that deep underwater.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

I had something similar happen to me. I wrote up a version of it in this thread, and also posted it here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/subnautica/comments/7zfzur/i_cant_believe_im_still_alive_that_was_one_wild/

I assume your trip didn't go as well.

(My seamoth would have certainly blown up if I hadn't had a reinforcement mod on it, when I finally got it back it was down to like 23% health.

I assumed I had just watched myself be condemned to losing ten hours of work. But I refuse to ever let Death take me easily, so I pulled out the Seaglide and tried to scoot for the surface. Figured I was dead, but I had to try for it.

Broke the surface as the screen started to go dark. Miraculous survival.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Internet Kraken posted:

This might of been more effective than using gas torpedos.

I mean I killed it but it took over a locker of torpedos, and it didn't even die from them. I had to spend a minute knifing it to death after exhausting my supply. I dunno how much health they have, so maybe the torpedos did a ton of damage and it would of taken forever with just the knife. But I swear half the torpedos somehow missed and blew up on thin air anyways.

Torpedoes deal basically no damage.

Your options are circlestrafing, stasis rifle or the grappling arm, realistically speaking.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
A secondary ending where you go 'gently caress the ocean' and just turn the rocket into a nuke would be great.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Rynoto posted:

A secondary ending where you go 'gently caress the ocean' and just turn the rocket into a nuke would be great.

I kind of get the impression if you dont fix the drives Aurora that happens.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HexiDave posted:

Shouldn't need to - can I see your output_log.txt from Subnautica/Subnautica_Data ?

I can email it to you? Too big for a forums pm (I have pms, no need to put your addy in here).

Highlights:

The file 'D:/apps/steam/steamapps/common/Subnautica/Subnautica_Data/level6' is corrupted! Remove it and launch unity again!
[Position out of bounds!]

(Filename: Line: 220)

Cyclops::Awake frame 358

also:

ms: 181.8885

(Filename: C:/Subnautica/plastic_workspace_unity/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

The file 'D:/apps/steam/steamapps/common/Subnautica/Subnautica_Data/resources.assets' is corrupted! Remove it and launch unity again!
[Position out of bounds!]

(Filename: Line: 220)

A script behaviour (probably BaseRoot?) has a different serialization layout when loading. (Read 776 bytes but expected 780 bytes)
Did you #ifdef UNITY_EDITOR a section of your serialized properties in any of your scripts?

(Filename: Line: 1879)

later:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at BaseRoot.IsUnderwater (Vector3 wsPos) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Player.UpdateIsUnderwater () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Player.set_currentSub (.SubRoot value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Player.SetCurrentSub (.SubRoot sub) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Player.RestoreSubIfNeeded () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Player.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

at BaseRoot.IsLeaking () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at SubRoot.UpdateLighting () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at SubRoot.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

WaffleLove posted:

I kind of get the impression if you dont fix the drives Aurora that happens.

Now I'm imagining a big red button in the drive core where that AI voice just admonishes you with: "By pressing this button you knowingly eradicate all life on this planet. Including me." And then game over because gently caress all that quest noise.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I wish there was a better source of quartz. I can never get enough of that stuff. If you want your base to look pretty you need soooooo much glass.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Internet Kraken posted:

I wish there was a better source of quartz. I can never get enough of that stuff. If you want your base to look pretty you need soooooo much glass.

Better than the Lost River?

Because its pretty damned good.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

Rynoto posted:

Now I'm imagining a big red button in the drive core where that AI voice just admonishes you with: "By pressing this button you knowingly eradicate all life on this planet. Including me." And then game over because gently caress all that quest noise.

I wish :() I'd of love to nuke the planet at least once, just for an FU to all the times I died thanks to Ghost Leviathans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

The console is a pretty consistent source of glass for windows :mrgw: