Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

gret posted:

John Shuster is... good? I can't believe it.

He Shustered himself into goodness. The ultimate Shuster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Powershift posted:

Canada's going to have their best olympics ever by medal count and the media is still gonna say the whole squad sucked because they didn't get any curling or hockey golds.

To be honest, every gold medal Canada won this year seems to be entirely due to the favorites to win either crashing or falling down in the final race.

Out of everything I've watched, only Virtue and Moir were the ones that actually dominated their event.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Vakal posted:

To be honest, every gold medal Canada won this year seems to be entirely due to the favorites to win either crashing or falling down in the final race.

Out of everything I've watched, only Virtue and Moir were the ones that actually dominated their event.

Kingsbury, Cassie Sharpe and the team figure skaters were definitely favourites, Bloemen and the 2-man bobsleigh were expected to at least podium

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Vakal posted:

Congrats on the super dumb post.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

gret posted:

John Shuster is... good? I can't believe it.

8 years of training to not be known as a fat gently caress up while everyone's putting him down. dude's got spirit, if nothing else. I can practically root for him in the finals! :unsmith:

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

quote:

"It's a pretty good story. This is just another step," Shuster said. "I just decided that, 50 years from now, maybe I'm long gone, when my kids are showing my grandkids video from the Olympics, I don't want all my videos to be me failing."

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

lol watching the replay of the USA v canada game, holy poo poo. you can't spell choke without koe

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008

Minrad posted:

lol watching the replay of the USA v canada game, holy poo poo. you can't spell choke without koe

Where are you watching it? I can't even find highlights.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

misdirectomy posted:

Where are you watching it? I can't even find highlights.
If you have a Roku and a login for the NBC Sports app, you can watch complete replays of every single match.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://www.wsj.com/articles/olympic-curling-doesnt-only-stump-viewersit-confuses-scientists-too-1519316731?mod=e2tw&page=1&pos=1

quote:

“I don’t know,” Mr. Shuster says. “I just throw the rocks, man.”

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Canada looks like garbage here so far

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
I'm at work and just refreshing the CBC app here and there and how are they so bad? It's like they forgot how to play.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Pretty good shot from Koe right there to tie the game. Wow.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Dr Zaius posted:

I'm at work and just refreshing the CBC app here and there and how are they so bad? It's like they forgot how to play.

pressure and tilt from everyone's expectations

much like the curling stones, once you start throwing you can't stop sliding

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Holy poo poo this announcer got me so scared that Canada might get 5 when the Swiss only played a guard with their last stone of the end.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 23, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Can we talk about how bad Canada's third's hair is?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

lol Canada just spent like 10 minutes discussing their shot and Koe completed whiffed

lol Koe whiffed again on their double takeout and Swiss make easy draw for 2.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 23, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why is Koe so bad?

Why hasn't Hebert broken a stick over his head yet?

At one of the events last year they had a rule where you could only use one broom the whole time. Hebert got so pissed off he put his broom down, walked over the bag to get another one and started smashing it.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Koe overthrew two stones that would have been better too heavy

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe it's time for Koe to fake an injury so he doesn't have to throw any more rocks, and maybe Canada can maybe claw back into this one.

e: really shameful yelling and poo poo from the crowd when the other team is throwing their rocks :(

Powershift fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 23, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Powershift posted:

e: really shameful yelling and poo poo from the crowd when the other team is throwing their rocks :(
curling... hooligans?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Curling doubles is pretty cool though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE
Four years of waiting for this shitshow. Woe is me too

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Korean women open with 3 in the first end.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

First half-miss I've seen from the Korean skip, she underthrew her last stone in a Koe fashion and allowed Japan to store 2 instead of 1.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Team Great Britain are down and the commentators begin to call them Scotland.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

eve hosed up the next to last rock of the third end

i have a feeling that's gonna be the defining moment of this match

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mrenda posted:

Team Great Britain are down and the commentators begin to call them Scotland.
Are these British commentators or ones on the official OBS stream?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Korean second with the raise triple raise takeout :stare:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

i had the right feeling to turn off sweden-gb before it got ugly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5lYXaVkA0U

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Canada and GB each double medaled in 2014 lol just lol

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
OH SNAP!

Japan steals.

:siren: bonus curling :siren:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Korean skip had a simple draw, could even hit, to go to the gold medal match. Instead, it was a touch too heavy and Japan stole a point pushing the match into EE.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Josh Lyman posted:

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Korean skip had a simple draw, could even hit, to go to the gold medal match. Instead, it was a touch too heavy and Japan stole a point pushing the match into EE.

I was thinking Japan should have tried the freeze to force takeout weight and maybe a miss, but Korea missed anyway.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I will be gutted if Korea fails to advance here.

More gutted than Canada was when the women's hockey team lost.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
yeongmi! yeongmi!

https://twitter.com/BlueSky190614/status/967040301532561414

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 23, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

omggggggggggggg

i thought that final stone was going to come up short

koe broke my brain

for sure that should've been the final... he said having not watched a single match by the swedish women

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I only caught the last few ends but that game was one of the best I’ve seen in the tournament. Both of those teams are on fire.

• Locked thread