Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I'm loving the combat is XII. being able to set up strategies for my party members and them being automatically executed in battle is extremely satisfying. is the battle system in XIII anything like it? or are there any other jrpgs that have a Gambit system?

XIII is somewhat similar with a faster pace. Basically everybody has a set of roles, like Damage, Buff, Debuff, Heal etc., and you have 3 people active in a battle. Outside of battle you can set 6 decks basically of different combinations of roles, and in battle at any time you can swap to a different deck. So like for certain enemies you need to poison them or something first, so you swap to debuffing, switch to a mage centric setup and Stagger them (which makes them take lik 10x damage) then swap to your damage deck and nuke them down. There are no resources you use outside of items, health and MP comes back after every battle, so you just go all out all the time, and late game bosses/bonus hunts push the system to its limits. It's probably my favorite FF battle system, its very cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Finished Bravely Default, what a great game. The optional boss rush was easy enough but the superboss in Dimensional Hasp or whatever kills me in two turns and I don't think I care enough to try him again. I should take a break before playing Second to avoid burning out right?

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I'm loving the combat is XII. being able to set up strategies for my party members and them being automatically executed in battle is extremely satisfying. is the battle system in XIII anything like it? or are there any other jrpgs that have a Gambit system?

Edit: IT explained it way better.

I think XIII has a fun battle system but if you are looking for the versatility of XII you will be disappointed. XIII feels more like an action game in many ways which is a fun change of pace from the rest of the series.

my morning jackass fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Feb 14, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It depends if you wanna play more Bravely Default. Its the same overworld with different dungeons and some new mechanics. Chain battles weren't in 1, right? That was the coolest update for me

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Its a blast

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

In Training posted:

It depends if you wanna play more Bravely Default. Its the same overworld with different dungeons and some new mechanics. Chain battles weren't in 1, right? That was the coolest update for me

They were in 1. the sequel didnt really change anything in the battle system except for the new jobs

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Watching a stream of the Mana remake and the updated soundtrack is real good.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I put the GBA FF6 with fixed colours and music on my 3ds and it looks and sounds awesome. Can't wait to play this bad boy again

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I put the GBA FF6 with fixed colours and music on my 3ds and it looks and sounds awesome. Can't wait to play this bad boy again

how you do them fixed colors lar

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Just look for a rom that has the patches applied, easy enough to find

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Got to start zodiac age... Guess I can finally optimize my party and do better jobs instead of keeping balthier as a machinist and fran as an archer like i did when i did a IZJS run last time

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gordon's Iconic Suit

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

They should just sell the suits to buy gas.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

lmfao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lmao

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

lol

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I’m a virgin and I walk like that.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I suck and gently caress "on the reg".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I suck and gently caress "on the reg".

Take your medicine for Chrissake Larry.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

We're discussing virgins, sex, pussy etc. It's a grown-up thing

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Was this game good? I remember renting it at Blockbuster when I was 14 and getting kind of bored with it but I get the impression I’d appreciate it more at this point.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Was this game good? I remember renting it at Blockbuster when I was 14 and getting kind of bored with it but I get the impression I’d appreciate it more at this point.

I've never played it but from what I know about it it's a multiplayer focused game where everyone needs a GBA and GCN to GBA cable to play

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

It was a fun novelty, but with no persistence (start each stage at lvl 1 with no spells) it got boring real quick.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

If they redid it with a more consistent and less ridiculous way to play multiplayer, it'd be great, but its merely ok as it is.

Music might be the best in a single FF tho.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have fond memories of playing through the whole game coop even if it was a pain to set up. The year Cycles and miasma structure was fun and I would love another sequel (I think they did a DS game?)

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Lumpy the Cook posted:

It owned but yeah was boring restartign each time

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I was slut shamed.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

shut up bitch

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

http://store.steampowered.com/app/613830/CHRONO_TRIGGER/

:stare:

Scrub-Niggurath