Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Is the combine fleet button gone or am I stupid? I'm drag and dropping fleets together rn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Is the combine fleet button gone or am I stupid? I'm drag and dropping fleets together rn

It's still there, top left of the fleet window

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a lot of little balance issues, interface improvements, and re-flavouring that probably needs to be done but 2.0 is really good.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I played around with the map generation settings by generating a bunch of map with different density and galaxy types and came to conclusion that spiral arm galaxies with the default 1.0 density have the most interesting looking maps to play with.

If you do a basic ring type galaxy, you tend to end up with either bunch of corridors with low connection density or a boring grid with higher ones.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

So good and bad stuff about the new stellaris.

Bad:
I've been forced to do this to lock in the inner 1/4 of the galaxy for my later development.

Good:
You can do this.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

The fleet manager is utterly incomprehensible. I have a fleet with 37 corvettes and two destroyers. My fleet management states that the layout should be 5 destroyers to 20 corvettes. I click reinforce - it queues up two extra corvettes.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Fleet manager sounds messed up enough (deleting fleets?) that I'm not touching it until people start saying good things about it. I'll just do things the old way. :lol:

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
I can't find any way to set rally points anymore. Were those removed?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Oh here's a fun one, the nomads came through, found an uninhabited planet, and asked me if they could crash there. I said yes. They established a colony, which immediately switched to my control since i had the starbase.

50 influence and a free colony with no downside!

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

axeil posted:

Well I really like this patch but something weird as hell happened.

I'm a spiritualist, pacifist egalitarian empire and I just got the event chain that terraforms a new world I colonized and it made it into a Gaia world.

Seems great! Everyone is migrating in and things are good. I'm making +20 in energy, +15 in minerals and +3 in food. Then suddenly I'm in the negative in all of them and my stockpiles start dropping.

I'm now at 0 everything and all my planets are in revolt. Is this a bug or did I just gently caress up horribly?

The game is just reminding you that free will is a myth and that the one true path is a collective of inorganic intelligence that shuns the weakness of organic life and thought.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

The fleet manager is utterly incomprehensible. I have a fleet with 37 corvettes and two destroyers. My fleet management states that the layout should be 5 destroyers to 20 corvettes. I click reinforce - it queues up two extra corvettes.

I would guess that you created that fleet by adding ships to it and the ships are not of the designs fitting the template.

The manager will simply build the ships you assign to its template, if you add extra ships into the fleet manually, then it will obviously not delete the old ones to make room for the new ones.

If it ordered more corvettes that's probably because you have fewer of that design in the fleet than the template is set to, so it builds them to fill it, that's how it's supposed to work.

Basically if you want to build a fleet, go into the manager and fill it up with designs in there, then just hit reinforce and it'll buy ships from shipyards until it reaches that loadout. Very simple honestly.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also there's a lot of jank around upgrades, if your designs upgrade but the fleet hasn't been upgraded it can't "see" those ships anymore because it reports 0 of the current design so thinks there's no ships in the fleet. You absolutely have to keep your ships upgraded or the whole fleet manager goes janky.

What would be really nice is if you lowered the number of ships of a class in a fleet it would give you the option of disbanding just those ships. So say you have 20 destroyers in a fleet and want only 15. You can decrease the number but then it just reports as 20/15 ships but its cleared that space out of the template cap so now you added a couple new cruisers and the fleet sees this is all within cap, so when you hit reinforce it builds those 2 cruisers but can't place them in the fleet because of the 5 extra destroyers. You can disband the entire group of destroyers with one click, but if you just want to get rid of 5 you have to track the fleet down and manually remove 5 destroyers. An extra button on the line-item of the ship class to "cull to size" or "delete extras" would be great, much like auto-reinforcing a fleet also allow a one-click way of auto-disbanding.

What would be even gooder would be a reserve pool. You build ships, they go into a reserve pool and are then deployed to fleets as needed and when you lower the number of ships in a fleet they'd go off into this pool to be used elsewhere, but that would be a big change.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Also there's a lot of jank around upgrades, if your designs upgrade but the fleet hasn't been upgraded it can't "see" those ships anymore because it reports 0 of the current design so thinks there's no ships in the fleet. You absolutely have to keep your ships upgraded or the whole fleet manager goes janky.

What would be really nice is if you lowered the number of ships of a class in a fleet it would give you the option of disbanding just those ships. So say you have 20 destroyers in a fleet and want only 15. You can decrease the number but then it just reports as 20/15 ships but its cleared that space out of the template cap so now you added a couple new cruisers and the fleet sees this is all within cap, so when you hit reinforce it builds those 2 cruisers but can't place them in the fleet because of the 5 extra destroyers. You can disband the entire group of destroyers with one click, but if you just want to get rid of 5 you have to track the fleet down and manually remove 5 destroyers. An extra button on the line-item of the ship class to "cull to size" or "delete extras" would be great, much like auto-reinforcing a fleet also allow a one-click way of auto-disbanding.

What would be even gooder would be a reserve pool. You build ships, they go into a reserve pool and are then deployed to fleets as needed and when you lower the number of ships in a fleet they'd go off into this pool to be used elsewhere, but that would be a big change.

I would suggest that "split fleet to match template" would be better than "delete ships to match template" The game already doesn't display the tiny reinforcement fleets so you could make it so that sheared off ships just fly to a starbase and create a fleet over there.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

So good and bad stuff about the new stellaris.

Bad:
I've been forced to do this to lock in the inner 1/4 of the galaxy for my later development.

Good:
You can do this.

Forced. :airquote:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

OwlFancier posted:

I would guess that you created that fleet by adding ships to it and the ships are not of the designs fitting the template.

The manager will simply build the ships you assign to its template, if you add extra ships into the fleet manually, then it will obviously not delete the old ones to make room for the new ones.

If it ordered more corvettes that's probably because you have fewer of that design in the fleet than the template is set to, so it builds them to fill it, that's how it's supposed to work.

Basically if you want to build a fleet, go into the manager and fill it up with designs in there, then just hit reinforce and it'll buy ships from shipyards until it reaches that loadout. Very simple honestly.

I have never designed a single ship in the game. I only use the auto-generated designs, and throughout this game I have not once manually constructed any ships. All ships in that fleet came from the single auto-design made by the game, and all were built by hitting that reassign button.

On another note, War Exhaustion has made sieging planets honestly pointless affairs. That along with the buffs to defensive armies have made conquering planets extremely difficult if they have a single fortress, and this is with indiscriminate bombing. The new mechanics at play are all great, but the numbers do seem like they need a considerable amount of tweaking.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The fun thing so far is being able to wall off certain hyperlanes and leave ones open that only go through systems containing ancient horrors and such and watching my enemies default into those systems where their invasion fleets just get deleted.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Tomn posted:

I had one star tribe say they were going to raid me.

Shortly after I got a message saying that their raiding fleet had been destroyed and the raid was off.

When I zoomed to the site of the event, it bought me to the territory of ANOTHER star tribe. Apparently the first star tribe tried to route their raid through the territory of the second, and they disagreed with each other.

Yeah, they can steal resources and enslave pops. It's a bit of a bitch.

Ah okay thanks for this. That explains the economic collapse I had in my game. I was running slightly negative on everything but planning on building enough mines/power plants/farms to offset and then I got raided, taking everything to 0 and causing mass starvation, making everyone's productivity fall even further and then spawning a bunch of mass riots which were impossible to put down.

I'm going to restart this evening.

It's also very annoying to play on a large galaxy now with how long it takes to move around. It took me nearly a year to move from one end of my empire to the other and I was still only at 4 colonies.

I also recommend people not turn down the number of hyperlanes. I tried 0.75x and got blocked in by an enigmatic fortress and a fallen empire.

edit: I also think I overexpanded because I didn't realize how much adding starbases everywhere was cutting into my research. Lesson learned - only expand if you have a reason to, going for pretty borders is a bad choice now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I have never designed a single ship in the game. I only use the auto-generated designs, and throughout this game I have not once manually constructed any ships. All ships in that fleet came from the single auto-design made by the game, and all were built by hitting that reassign button.

On another note, War Exhaustion has made sieging planets honestly pointless affairs. That along with the buffs to defensive armies have made conquering planets extremely difficult if they have a single fortress, and this is with indiscriminate bombing. The new mechanics at play are all great, but the numbers do seem like they need a considerable amount of tweaking.

Yup, I had to triple team up fleets on a single planet to murder everyone and just as I was about to genocide the next one I hit peak war exhaustion and was forced into white peace with the contaminating organic life forms that live nearby.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013
What makes mining outposts more expensive? Does the cost go up the more mining outposts you can build in the system?

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
The Fleet Manager just appears to completely break down when you get a couple modified designs. For example, you should be able to take a line, select retrofit, pick your current ship design, and then the line should display how many corvettes of that design you have and how many you should have based on the amount you put in. It will only do that when it feels like doing it. On top of that the fleet manager should only reflect what you can build. If you upgrade your design, it should never add a second line with a new listing for a new ship, it should just update the existing line with the new entry that you have 0 ships of that type. Then when you click the upgrade button and your ships get upgrade, it fills in the proper number. Then you'd be able to hit reinforce to fill up to your max and never end up with incomprehensible numbers and produced ships everywhere.

And to be clear, I don't know if that is how it was intended to work by the developers, but that's the only way it makes sense from a UI standpoint.

Also starbases are loving annoying as all hell. I like the idea and think the implementation is great... until your borders expand. Suddenly you've got a bunch of starbases that you have to downgrade and rebuild (at least eventually, once at your cap) and it gets really tedious. More tedious than anything else has ever been in Stellaris. You could at least partially solve it by being able to queue up buildings/modules and upgrades beyond the slots curently avaialble, but that's only a minor improvement. I really wish there was a template system, give me something like:

Shipyard - Equivalent to 2 shipyard modules + weapon module and defense building.
Infrastructure Hub - Equivalent to a weapon module + anchorages and fleet logistics building.
Border Patrol - Equivalent to 3 or 4 weapon modules + offense building.
Fleet Builder - 3 shipyard modules, weapon module, titan builder.
etc...

Regularly downgrading and then upgrading a new starbase through 2-3 upgrade levels with defense platforms and buildings is just soul crushing on a large map.

In the same vein, the starbase system as a whole is great early on. However back-filling space after the initial expansion, when you can afford to research/unity hit, is terrible. I think it'd actually be okay if it wasn't for the influence cost, but unless you're an influence machine there isn't going to be a point where you can just put that on autopilot and not ruin other aspects of the game. Sitting on year 2300 with empty space that is worthless except to satisfy an OCD requirement is stupid, but filling it in isn't really an option if you need the influence.

And loving pirates. Not marauders, just pirates. Having to split my fleet up due to capacity limits and movement limitations is great, I like it. Having to cover empty space in my territory under that system, in addition to borders with empires that might jump me, is just frustrating. Maybe the calculation of influence cost + border patrol or starbases versus the cost of losing stations is meant to be fulfilling and interesting, but it really isn't. It's just annoying.

Finally, just because I'm on a roll, I like the Jump Drive implementation for military ships, but please don't make me babysit my constructors and science ships. I get trying to make it work with the current implementation is probably a no go, just give us a special civilian jump drive that makes them work like pre 2.0 drives. The only loss is it will be even harder to catch an enemy constructor or science ship, but does anyone actually bother to chase them down in the first place?

Edit:
Oh yeah, and War Exhaustion. Please tell me beforehand that the value needed to accomplish my goals is so high that if I don't somehow utterly crush my opponent and take over all his territory in 10 years, of which they've spent the entire time at 100% war exhaustion, than the completely impossible to avoid eventually attrition will put me at 100% war exhaustion and thus losing the war.

nessin fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 23, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Then the issue there is that the auto designer will be constantly updating the design and older versions of the design don't count as being the templated design, you also need to upgrade your ships before reinforcing or it will build more ships of the latest version to fill the fleet, because it sees you don't have any of the latest, templated version.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

James The 1st posted:

What makes mining outposts more expensive? Does the cost go up the more mining outposts you can build in the system?

They're always 90/each, but there seems to be some bug related to clicking the ship's menu and selecting to build from there. It seems to want to charge you to build for ALL of the positions rather than just one.

Instead, select the ship, right-click the planet/asteroid/whatever, and build from that menu.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Is anyone noticing that the popup after marauders are done raiding calls out the wrong empire? I've been sending them out to pillage one faction but when they are done the popup telling me so calls out a different empire on the other side of the galaxy. The empire it calls out does border the marauders so maybe it's looking at the last empire it touched but it's still weird. Hard to know if they are ever actually getting to the empire I paid them to raid.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I'm enjoying this, but I really think it needs a patch.

War Weariness is loving insane right now, and getting forced into a white peace after dominating someone just makes me want to uninstall.
The Fleet Manager is just plain broken.
Outposts raising Unity/Research costs is pretty dumb, or at least too high. Needs to be toned down.

On the plus side Star Trek Horizons is loving incredible this patch.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
threads' moving too fast, i'm down from equivalent to pathetic. Gotta skip ahead.

Tomn posted:

If that "windows zapping into existence" thing isn't part of the patch I will be sorely disappointed.

wiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzz :argh:

I dunno if anyone else noticed this, but there may be a way to bypass admiral fleet capacity and create a fleet 2x (or more) bigger than it should be, if you have a huge amount of money. I haven't been able to actually make it work yet because I keep running out of minerals.
    Basically what I did was
  • start a new game
  • Got to fleet manager, set it to max ships (It will now say 3/20)
  • Build ships by hand as a second fleet
  • Merge fleets. (Fleet manager now says ex 5/22). Do not click the minus next to ship type it will not let you + your way past the limit.
  • I ran out of minerals but the next step is to try to get up to 20, then either merge more guys in or hit reinforce fleet.

I ran into this because on day one I set up a fleet that was 2/3s lasers and guns, and 1/3 missiles and guns, and it wanted to focus completely on guns and then the other ship, Instead of building a couple guns then a missile and repeating like what I wanted.

Also I started a game as humans but with a different government. Popped map the stars (imo if you do this you should also get more science ships soon to maximize your gain, it's expensive. prob go discovery, too.)
Settled a couple planets. Then finally ran into my first neighbor: an empire easily 2x my size, Gaia preference slavers. They had only one planet but a huge amount of territory. They immediately asked for a nonaggression pact.

e: wait I should read thred

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've gone from sort of understanding the basics of the game to not having an idea what I'm doing in any way.

EDIT: Not that it will stop me from spending most of the weekend playing the game!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

I've gone from sort of understanding the basics of the game to not having an idea what I'm doing in any way.

It's great.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

That Works posted:

The game is just reminding you that free will is a myth and that the one true path is a collective of inorganic intelligence that shuns the weakness of organic life and thought.

Turns out from reading comments here I had aliens move off developed worlds for the undeveloped Gaia world, putting my previous surpluses at deficits.

Then nearby pirates raided my systems and stole all my stuff and running a deficit at 0 stockpile of all goods is basically a game over as everyone will start revolting and your fleets are useless. I'm going to start a new game and write this one off as "the tree-people delved too deep and too greedily" and collapsed their society.

It's sort of neat that the game quasi-models an empire collapsing due to an economic depression now! New hidden feature!

I would like if you could move faster from system to system though, but overall I'm a big fan of this update.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
You know, looking back, I think my main issue with Exterminators is simply that building all of those pops is too drat expensive.

Like why does it cost as much to build a pop as it does to build a starbase? I just think that's a little too restrictive.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd say my biggest complaint with 2.0 is the newly introduced "starbase micro". There's too many modules and slots and options but so many of them seem pretty bad or of unclear or questionable use. Upgrading defense platforms is the new ground troop attachments in terms of clickfest. Select station from outliner on far right of screen, defense tab, upgrade all button on left side of screen, next starbase from the outliner on the far right, next upgrade all button the far left. Then do this 20 times every time there's a significant new tech.

What would be killer is being able to click on the little upgrade arrow icon from the outliner and have it upgrade everything (same with planets too please). That way you could at least just run down the outliner list clicking upgrade. That or treat them like science ships: we can't design them, so they just are assumed to be upgraded automatically. But I seem to be spending a LOT of time clicking between starbases and doing fiddly starbase management stuff a disproportionate amount of time.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 23, 2018

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

You know, looking back, I think my main issue with Exterminators is simply that building all of those pops is too drat expensive.

Like why does it cost as much to build a pop as it does to build a starbase? I just think that's a little too restrictive.

To be fair, each pop point could represent millions or billions of individuals. I'd say a few million super robots is equivalent to a really big starbase.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shadowlyger posted:

You're building something like five hundred million robots. It costs a bit.

PRAISE THE SUN
Feb 1, 2018
I'd like it if my ship contstruction interface didn't constantly get clogged up by auto generated ships. gently caress off, I'll make my own designs :|

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I thought I was in a food death spiral after getting raided brutally by marauders, but I pulled out of it by instituting martial law on my core worlds, piling on empire edicts, and converting as much as I could afford to farms. It was neat and I liked it

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PRAISE THE SUN posted:

I'd like it if my ship contstruction interface didn't constantly get clogged up by auto generated ships. gently caress off, I'll make my own designs :|

Look at the bottom left of the ship designer.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

nessin posted:

To be fair, each pop point could represent millions or billions of individuals. I'd say a few million super robots is equivalent to a really big starbase.

Yeah. I've always thought of a pop representing a really big number.

I remember seeing some math on reddit that estimated 1 pop = 1 billion. No idea if that's accurate (probably not), but I still ballpark lots of zeroes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

PRAISE THE SUN posted:

Turn off auto-design?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

nessin posted:

Granted, but it still feels hugely restrictive.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fiddling with starbases does seem to be a lot of the game now. I agree that being able to click the upgrade arrow and have it auto upgrade everything on the planet/base would be great. I don't know why some form of mass upgrade is still not in the game after all this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Yea my only real complaint with cherryh is that UI improvements haven't gone far enough. And let my constructors auto improve