Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

djfooboo posted:

This thread is slow because we are too busy with these loving flu patients right?

I wouldn't know, I'm too busy strolling around and criticizing nurses for their poor charting. :smug:

On a serious note, if anyone has questions about nursing informatics then feel free to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icehotels
Aug 10, 2014
So I'm going into my final semester. I keep hearing about Uworld and things like that for NCLEX prep. I have lectures from Mark Klimek, access to Elsevier Evolve, and then a couple of NCLEX/HESI review books. As well as YouTube for videos. My question is, should I pay for something like UWorld? I've also heard of the Maryland Hurst Review. I'm a decent test taker. I have a scholarship for the final semester which gives my husband and I a little bit of breathing room and he asked if I needed something like Uworld.
I turn to you, Healthcare Goons, do I need something like this? How helpful was it for you?

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
I used the NCLEX Mastery app. Passed in 75 questions/30 minutes, but I’m not dumb. If you're dumb, you might need more.

icehotels
Aug 10, 2014
I have the NCLEX Mastery app. I don't think I'm dumb. I definitely don't want to spend more when I already have what I need.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

On a serious note, if anyone has questions about nursing informatics then feel free to ask.

I have thought about it. Convince me why I should? Are you masters prepared? What's school like if you did that?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Jamais Vu Again posted:

I used the NCLEX Mastery app. Passed in 75 questions/30 minutes, but I’m not dumb. If you're dumb, you might need more.

Counterpoint: I’m fairly dumb and passed in 75.

icehotels
Aug 10, 2014

B-Mac posted:

Counterpoint: I’m fairly dumb and passed in 75.

This gives me a good range. I'm somewhere between fairly dumb and not dumb. I question it all the time.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

icehotels posted:

So I'm going into my final semester. I keep hearing about Uworld and things like that for NCLEX prep. I have lectures from Mark Klimek, access to Elsevier Evolve, and then a couple of NCLEX/HESI review books. As well as YouTube for videos. My question is, should I pay for something like UWorld? I've also heard of the Maryland Hurst Review. I'm a decent test taker. I have a scholarship for the final semester which gives my husband and I a little bit of breathing room and he asked if I needed something like Uworld.
I turn to you, Healthcare Goons, do I need something like this? How helpful was it for you?

My school used ATI so I probably could have just stuck with that but I really liked the Hurst review. It fit my learning style. I did everything they told me to and was the first person out of my exam room (I think it was 82 questions in). If I had slept at all the night before I probably would have done it in 75. I did the live session and really appreciated it.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

icehotels posted:

No you don’t need to spend the money on it. You have plenty of excellent resources it sounds like. If anything, i’d just get the Kaplan nclex book and call it a day.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah that's way too much poo poo for nclex. Kaplan book and a bunch of practice questions/tests is the ticket. 85 percent of the poo poo you study won't be on the test anyway.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Dr. Capco posted:

Yeah that's way too much poo poo for nclex. Kaplan book and a bunch of practice questions/tests is the ticket. 85 percent of the poo poo you study won't be on the test anyway.

Pretty much this. Just know how to read/answer the question they are asking you.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Counterpoint: uWorld is hard as poo poo and very awesome and I'm fairly confident if you just used that you would pass. Also you'll hate yourself a lot. But you'll pass. All I used was uworld and brushed up on my weakpoints with the Saunders text and also passed in 75. If you do end up wanting to use it, wait until you're about a month out from your test and just buy the one month sub. The questions are almost all passing level or higher, and the explanations are fantastic. I learned more from uWorld than some of my classes.

Counterpoint to my counterpoint: If you don't want to buy it you definitely have enough resources, so just pick 1 or 2 and focus on those, don't try too much to over prepare. This book is small, and I'd add it to your list as it's very helpful as well: https://www.amazon.com/Prioritization-Delegation-Assignment-Exercises-Examination/dp/0323113435

Disclosure: I am not paid in any way shape or form by uworld but I wish i was.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Hmm so I failed out of nursing school(RN-Diploma) and I’m debating transferring to a CC in south jersey that will take my fundies, mental health and OB so I’d only have to do medsurg I/II and leadership(medsurg I failed 2x)

Alternatively I’m looking at LPN schools or at getting my masters in epidemiology, but I’ve just sunk so much time into pre-reqs and figuring out what I wanted to do with my life that I’m just 😶. I was like 6 months from graduation . Ideally I’d do LPN for 10 months, pass the nclex-pn and then go to the school what takes my rn credits- money isn’t an issue as I have a good job in the city that affords me a lot of study time, I feel like I was a strong student that got tripped up by stupid questions on tests and struggled to translate my effort into grades. I had like two tutors at the end of the semester and my grades swung way up on the last two tests but it wasn’t enough.

Any help/ is LPN just a waste of time?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

LPN isn't worthless, but if you could eek out an ASN, that would be better, not sure how much more schooling that would take.

icehotels
Aug 10, 2014

Dr. Capco posted:

Etrips posted:

Pretty much this. Just know how to read/answer the question they are asking you.

That’s what I was thinking. The first Klimek lecture talks about being a good test taker. Basically critical thinking skills along. I have that.

To the person asking about LPN. It depends on the area honestly. I’m in Memphis and my school has an LPN to RN program (it’s AAS) that is one year. A lot of the hospitals still hire LPNs especially on the behavioral floors. I would go for RN though. Even as an ADN, you can work and complete the BSN if it would be beneficial (and it will be most of the time).
That’s what I’m doing. The associates program is cheaper (and apparently tougher) and even the hospitals trying to get magnet status will hire you as long as you plan to get your BSN. Most will help you pay for it.

I say my program is tougher just from the reactions I get when I tell nurses I’m going there. It’s certainly unorganized AF.

send_coffee
Apr 15, 2017

For the guy (or girl) asking about LPN:
Where I'm from, there really isn't a demand for L.P.N. s- unfortunately the job market has shifted to ADNs and B.S.N.s. I would recommend trying a diffent school. If you work your rear end off, you should be able to pass, especially if you were so close to finishing.

I know this questions has been asked a bunch of times, but has anyone taken the NCLEX recently? I'm studying HURST and uWorld, but I'm not sure if I'm going to pass. Did most of you guys feel that way?
I'm not smart and I'm a horrable test taker.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

send_coffee posted:

Where I'm from, there really isn't a demand for L.P.N. s- unfortunately the job market has shifted to ADNs and B.S.N.s. I would recommend trying a diffent school. If you work your rear end off, you should be able to pass, especially if you were so close to finishing.

I know this questions has been asked a bunch of times, but has anyone taken the NCLEX recently? I'm studying HURST and uWorld, but I'm not sure if I'm going to pass. Did most of you guys feel that way?

Yeah I’m looking at different schools. I’m trying to find one that will take anything and coming up short. I’m in the Northeast NJ/NYC area if anyone has any ideas. I would have no problem passing the nclex, I just need to find/finish a school.
I’m considering Rowan/RCBC because they would accept fundies/maternity and mental health, but I’m open if anyone knows of any schools anywhere near jersey or Manhattan that will take transfer credits. I’m also willing to start again, but drat. My wife is tired of the schooling.
The reason I’m considering something like Jersey College is that I can do LPN-11 months-(high in demand here) and do peds home care a little while I go through (jersey colleges 15 month) RN. Also I work a very easy job in NYC but I could transfer to another major metro area.
Any suggestions would be great.

rosenritter
Feb 22, 2014

send_coffee posted:

I'm pretty dumb and I used Hurst and Uworld and passed with 115 questions. I went over the Uworld questions twice! I really thought I was going to fail after I walked out but I guess it all worked. I know everyone here likes to talk about how they barely studied and passed in 75 questions, but I had to drive 3 hours away to take the NCLEX, so I really did not want to have to do that twice.
I would just watch some Hurst videos, take notes, and then set the Uworld questions to whatever system I just studied. And after that, I randomized the questions. Worked for me.

send_coffee
Apr 15, 2017

rosenritter posted:

I'm pretty dumb and I used Hurst and Uworld and passed with 115 questions. I went over the Uworld questions twice! I really thought I was going to fail after I walked out but I guess it all worked. I know everyone here likes to talk about how they barely studied and passed in 75 questions, but I had to drive 3 hours away to take the NCLEX, so I really did not want to have to do that twice.
I would just watch some Hurst videos, take notes, and then set the Uworld questions to whatever system I just studied. And after that, I randomized the questions. Worked for me.

Thank you!

send_coffee
Apr 15, 2017

White Chocolate posted:

Yeah I’m looking at different schools. I’m trying to find one that will take anything and coming up short. I’m in the Northeast NJ/NYC area if anyone has any ideas. I would have no problem passing the nclex, I just need to find/finish a school.
I’m considering Rowan/RCBC because they would accept fundies/maternity and mental health, but I’m open if anyone knows of any schools anywhere near jersey or Manhattan that will take transfer credits. I’m also willing to start again, but drat. My wife is tired of the schooling.
The reason I’m considering something like Jersey College is that I can do LPN-11 months-(high in demand here) and do peds home care a little while I go through (jersey colleges 15 month) RN. Also I work a very easy job in NYC but I could transfer to another major metro area.
Any suggestions would be great.

I'm not familiar with the Area, I am sorry. But if there is a high demand, then I understand wanting to do LPN. Home health, from what I hear is either terrable or fun, but that's my area of Florida. Good luck, if you do decided to do home health and be safe, it does get sketchy.

As far as transferring, again in Florida, my experiences, mostly from listening to my friends and some, but limited, first hand experience, is: schools of the same accreditation, such as ACEN should take each other's credits. I was in a bridge program, so my curriculum is unique to the school, how ever the traditional programs were almost interchangeable. In Florida, we have LPN to RN bridge programs, and they were work "friendly". It sucked, but they passed. It was also 12 months. I was in a diffent bridge program, which I worked full time through.
My other suggestion, is to call the schools in your area and talk to them. I hope this helps.

Risky
May 18, 2003

djfooboo posted:

This thread is slow because we are too busy with these loving flu patients right?

A third of my floor are iso patients with influenza and pneumonia.

send_coffee
Apr 15, 2017

djfooboo posted:

You are 100% correct.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

send_coffee posted:

You are 100% correct.

Flu patients are up like 5 billion percent in the hospital we're at.

I've sent a few adults to the ICU and two kids to the PICU from the Flu....poo poo sucks

icehotels
Aug 10, 2014
One thing (of many)I knew, but I’m seeing as an intern: Different nurses see infection control differently.
🤷🏻‍♀️

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

E.D nurses plow into those tuberculosis patients rooms half naked eating a sandwich with no gloves

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015

Nice and hot piss posted:

E.D nurses plow into those tuberculosis patients rooms half naked eating a sandwich with no gloves

And we walk out unscathed. Then you get the random surprise non-pulmonary Tb patient and you’re SOL.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I'm not a nurse (yet) but I thought you guys might have some advice. Any recommendations for shoes that won't make my feet want to die after 12 hours?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Astrofig posted:

I'm not a nurse (yet) but I thought you guys might have some advice. Any recommendations for shoes that won't make my feet want to die after 12 hours?
I go through running shoes pretty quickly and use Mizuno Waves right now. I can't stand Danskos or anything else.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Astrofig posted:

I wear Asics (Gel-Kayano or Nimbus) usually but a lot of my coworkers wear those Birkenstocks clogs... I think they'd make my feet sweaty though. Plus they're easy to mix up in the break room.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too
I wear Alegria and change out the insoles every 4-6 months.

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
I've heard that K-Swiss tubes are the go to shoe, but that may be out of date. I'm interested in the answers because I need to get new clinical shoes here soon.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Just wear comfy sneakers. And if you are getting sweaty feet, stop wearing cotton socks. Look into breathable synthetics or even compression socks.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Sugarfreesox.com

Durable and comfortable. Just get the regular unless you're a beetus-haver.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I wear Merrell loafers with insoles. I walk between 13-18k steps a day and usually can belt out a 4-6 mile run before or after work with no issues.

My feet however are forged pieces of steel due to army poo poo and constantly running for the past 12 years so.... Probably just whatever is comfy for you and a solid pair of socks

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I've preached K-Swiss Tubes since the beginning of my nursing career, but I just got a new pair that have memory foam soles and they suck. Now I'm scared to get another pair because on Amazon, there was no mention of this memory foam.

Currently trying out some Keens. Technically they are winter shoes but my feet are always cold so they're nice. They are pretty comfortable, but I like my old Tubes better. The only reason I've had to replace Tubes is because I wear holes through the mesh on top of the toes.

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/W-KACI-WINTER.html?dwvar_W-KACI-WINTER_color=1015087&cgid=womens_footwear_shoes

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I wear K Swiss walking shoes meant for geriatrics. They are amazing.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Astrofig posted:

Don't cheap out on shoes. Buy the most comfortable pair of walking shoes you can find. New Balance has some mall-walkers that are comfortable as poo poo.

Some people also have luck with compression socks.

trauma llama
Jun 16, 2015
You know know you’re a night shifter when you’re up at 0100 messing with the anesthesia machine for your machine check practical tomorrow (today?)

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I have a spare room and some of my friends have suggested that I look into renting it out to traveling health care workers. Are there any particularly reputable ways of doing this? I’ve seen a few web sites that say they specialize in this sort of thing, but I don’t know which ones are scams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

trauma llama posted:

You know know you’re a night shifter when you’re up at 0100 messing with the anesthesia machine for your machine check practical tomorrow (today?)

What’s a machine check?

Edit: Oh wait. It’s that thing where you look and see if the APL valve was accidentally left at 70 which means maybe the tech pressure checked it when he changed the circuit.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 28, 2018