Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Yeah, the renaming to "icons" instead "success" and "crit success" is stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

moths posted:

I'm not really a fan of dice pool systems like that, but I'll probably give it a try. D% systems give you a target number and more transparency about your chances. (Please don't turn this into a derail.)

I like the art but hate that they renamed dice "icons" for no clear reason.

D% system is cool, except when you turn everything into increments of 5.

At that point it's a D20 that's just harder to read because you use TWO dice instead of one.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The site brought up stuff like characters of different tiers being played together.

http://www.ulisses-us.com/wrath-glory-designer-diary-february-2018/

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I don’t particularly dislike what I’ve read about Wrath & Glory so far, but man they could’ve hardly picked a more forgettable name for the system.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MMAgCh posted:

I don’t particularly dislike what I’ve read about Wrath & Glory so far, but man they could’ve hardly picked a more forgettable name for the system.

Well the Warhammer 40k in front makes it stand out.

Also from an article both Wrath and Glory are mechanics in the game.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Infinity has a similar system for how damage dice work. 1 is 1, 2 is 2, and then a 6 is a special effect that isn't just "more damage". Seems to work pretty well.

I don't know what to think about this system though. I have already played a ton of White Wolf games already so this system doesn't really have anything exciting. I am glad that the Old World rpg is sticking with the old system.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

moths posted:

I'm not really a fan of dice pool systems like that, but I'll probably give it a try. D% systems give you a target number and more transparency about your chances. (Please don't turn this into a derail.)

Preaching to the crowd here. I like D% because it's very easy for an idiot like me who hates math to figure out my chances.

At least here with the dice, 4,5, and 6 giving success kind of makes it 50% chance per dice. And knowing the pool number and what you need to succeed.

I don't like vs dice pool games like Marvel Heroic or FFG star wars where I build my dice pool, roll well, but still lose vs the doompool.

I wonder how combat works here? How do you roll to hit? Is there armor or dodge involved and how does that work? Is it opposed rolls? Guess we'll wait and see.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I am hoping the lethality and ludicrous deaths of the last edition remain, but the skills (especially lore and knowledge based ones) are more stream-lined.

I ended up pooling certain lore skills and drastically cutting their purchase prices to give incentive for people to even pick them.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Uroboros posted:

lore skills and drastically cutting their purchase prices to give incentive for people to even pick them.

Get a load of this Heretic over here!

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Uroboros posted:

I ended up pooling certain lore skills and drastically cutting their purchase prices to give incentive for people to even pick them.

"A questioning servant is more dangerous than an ignorant heretic."

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

moths posted:

Guess they're going with a more Byzantine-themed Imperium for this game. Fail too much and you'll be executed for being an iconoclast heretic! :commissar:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Uroboros posted:

I am hoping the lethality and ludicrous deaths of the last edition remain, but the skills (especially lore and knowledge based ones) are more stream-lined.

[insert customary heresy of knowledge joke here]

But seriously, if your players don't want lore skills, something's wrong. Quite often, they're the only way to learn something that advances the plot or helps defeat an enemy.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Tias posted:

[insert customary heresy of knowledge joke here]

But seriously, if your players don't want lore skills, something's wrong. Quite often, they're the only way to learn something that advances the plot or helps defeat an enemy.

The only thing better than solving a case through use of lore skills is solving a case through use of mementos.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
The lore skills were definitely my biggest problem with the last games. The idea behind it isn't bad, but they seem to end up being something one of the players has to buy so the campaign stays on the rails. It would've worked a lot better if they were separated from the other skills and acquired more organically and/or established during character creation.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Werix posted:

Preaching to the crowd here. I like D% because it's very easy for an idiot like me who hates math to figure out my chances.

At least here with the dice, 4,5, and 6 giving success kind of makes it 50% chance per dice. And knowing the pool number and what you need to succeed.

I remember in my 1L torts class breaking out a basic sigma summation to describe the Hand formula and most of the students looking at me like I'd just sprouted a second head.

Anyway, the expected value of successes per die here is 2/3 because the six is worth two successes. The simple way to think about this is to imagine a "typical" set of six rolls (i.e. the size of the die) consisting of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. These produce, respectively, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, and 2 successes, for a total of four. Four successes out of six rolls is 4/6 = 2/3. The problem with dice pool systems is that, while it's fairly easy to calculate the EV of a given pool size, it's more difficult to conceptualize the probability distribution. For example, if I roll two dice, I can expect 4/3 ~ 1.33 successes on average, but what is the probability I get at least as many as I need?
pre:
  | 1 2 3 4 5 6
1 | 0 0 0 1 1 2
2 | 0 0 0 1 1 2
3 | 0 0 0 1 1 2
4 | 1 1 1 2 2 3
5 | 1 1 1 2 2 3
6 | 2 2 2 3 3 4
Out of 36 possibilities, 9 (1/4) have zero successes, 12 (1/3) have one, 10 (5/18) have two, 4 (1/9) have three, and 1 (1/36) has four successes. Or, alternatively
pre:
The probability of getting at least 0       1      2       3       4     successes
is                                  100%    75%    ~41.7%  ~13.9%  ~2.8%
Each additional die makes this more intensive. With two dice, there are just 36 possible outcomes. With three, 216. With four, 1296. And so forth. It's unreasonable to expect anyone to do it on the fly, but at least it's amenable to tables.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
If you have access to anydice where you're doing the calculations:

http://anydice.com/program/ee50

You'll want to look at the "At least" option for data, and replace the 5 in "5d{0,0,0,1,1,2}" with whatever number you're rolling.

Or I guess you could use matrices with a number of dimensions equal to the number of dice you're rolling, if you're a NERD.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think most people would be concerned with pass/fail over how many total passes are present in the pool.

That is, each die is still 3 and 3 for practical purposes.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

I remember in my 1L torts class breaking out a basic sigma summation to describe the Hand formula and most of the students looking at me like I'd just sprouted a second head.
That is why I went to law school, to avoid math. I would have looked at you the same way, you number loving monster.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

moths posted:

I think most people would be concerned with pass/fail over how many total passes are present in the pool.

That's why I said to use the "At least" part. It will tell you the odds of getting "At least" the number on the left, or passing that test.

The thing is that 6s count as two for passing, that said, assuming every die is a coin flip is probably a decent conservative estimate, as you'll pass more than half of the tests that have a TN of half your dice pool.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

What I disagree with is the idea that each die has four successes - it only has six potential results, of which three are not-successes.

That probably doesn't matter in rolls including more than one die, though.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

moths posted:

That's not how the system works, though. Rolling a six is different from rolling a four or five—it's twice as good.

moths posted:

What I disagree with is the idea that each die has four successes - it only has six potential results, of which three are not-successes.

That probably doesn't matter in rolls including more than one die, though.

You can't really say anything about how likely you are to succeed without knowing the DN (difficulty number/required successes). If you're rolling only one die and the DN is 1, then sure, it's a coin flip. If the DN is 2, though, you still have a 1-in-6 chance of making it.

Expected value tells you what the average result will be. It's more useful as an aggregator than describing any single die, but that's kind of the point in a dice pool. Note that the two examples in the comic use, what, eight and ten dice? That's an average result of ~5.3 and ~6.7 successes respectively. As Felime says, though, 50% is decent conservative estimate.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I definitely tunnel visioned on the individual die rolls instead of the big TN picture. Oops.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

moths posted:

I definitely tunnel visioned on the individual die rolls instead of the big TN picture. Oops.

That's a great illustration of why d% is easier to grasp. Funnily enough, my last post in this thread before this series is on the same topic. :v:

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

So I've just started an Only War game that is sort of PbP. It's just discord based with a dice bot, and Fantasy Grounds for map and sheet management.
I was wondering about Fate Points, normally they replenish per session, but since this doesn't have a specific "session" per se, would giving everyone a flat 5 for a mission and replenishing only at mission end, with bonuses for extra cool stuff, be ok?
I don't want to have too few and make players super against using them, but also don't want to have too many.
This is my first 40k RPG game and I am not sure how much they should be used (are they comparable to Savage Bennies etc)

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
The biggest uses for Fate Points in 40k, more-or-less in order of importance, are rerolls, healing, and rolling a 10 for initiative. 5 per person might be a little excessive, but it all depends on how hard and lengthy your missions are. I think a good rule of thumb is that people will probably spend 2-3 FP in a combat encounter that's a legitimate challenge for the party. So if one mission has two or three easy fights, a few scenes where people need to make important "really don't want to fail this" tests like tech-use, medicae, lore, or stealth, and then a big fight to wrap it up, you could easily have people who burn through all 5 points.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Yea I was thinking each mission wouldn't be more than 2 or 3 encounters overall. Certainly only one big shootout gunfight where they'll truly be jeapordised.
Sounds like 5 should be Ok though, based on what your saying. I can always tone it down if they start steamrolling everything on the back of fate.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Hive Fleet Dagon was known for being super toxic, right?

I guess they could be counts-as Gorgon (in terms of the new 8E 'dex).

The fact that all the RPGs were written during the long period of Genestealer Cult semi-cannonicity is really clear and makes me really sad.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Meanwhile, the RPGs were written during the time the Necrons went from silent Terminators to the excentric Newcrons, but at the same time FFG didn't seem to entirely embrace it. Oldcrons were clearly still in mind during the Deathwatch books. We started to get Newcrons in Black Crusade where they added a bunch of the units in Tome of Fate, but still kept them as silent sleeping robots isolated on one world, with a kinda Sassy Cryptek thrown in.

Would have been nice if they had built a Newcron empire into the Screaming Vortex. If I remember right, they never put Necrons in Only War or DH2, probably for power level reasons.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Genestealers are statted in DH2 aren't they?

"Make Askellon Great Again" has a certain ring to it...

E: They're mentioned but not statted in the DH2 core book and they're the Vauxian Stalkers in Enemies Without. They also appear in Creatures Anathema (DH1) and of course in Deathwatch.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 27, 2018

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Another (apparently final) example comic for Wrath & Glory: http://www.ulisses-us.com/comic/wg-example-p5/

So some actual game stats here. A mutant mob has a defense of '3', which was raised to '4' because of low light and fog. Also, a Lasgun has an attack value of 7+1d, which is to say 7 plus the successes on a die roll. You can add extra dice to damage by shifting extra 6's from the initial check as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The guardsman appears to have an 8 for his skill with his gun.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Damage bonuses from the dice seem a bit trifling. 7 + maybe a couple if you rolled well (0.66 per dice average?) is still basically 7.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

goatface posted:

Damage bonuses from the dice seem a bit trifling. 7 + maybe a couple if you rolled well (0.66 per dice average?) is still basically 7.

I assume it depends on the weapon. The Lasgun kind of crap compared to most other 40k weapons.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well, some points in whatever the base attribute for shooting things is in this edition (I doubt they'll retain the Ballistic Skill/Weapon Skill characteristics from the FFG system, but who knows), and some points in the actual shooting skill. Unless attacks work completely differently from skill checks.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Probably 4 base attribute + 4 skill ranks, or something like that (maybe a die for short range? A die for aiming?).

goatface posted:

Hm, I'm suspecting we may be dealing with a thresholds situation. Like, instead of straight Hit Points, characters take wounds at certain levels. Maybe 0-4 damage is stunning, 5-9 is light wound, 10-14 serious would/instakill minions, that type of thing. The character did seem to want to get that extra damage die pretty bad.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

susan posted:

Another (apparently final) example comic for Wrath & Glory: http://www.ulisses-us.com/comic/wg-example-p5/

So some actual game stats here. A mutant mob has a defense of '3', which was raised to '4' because of low light and fog. Also, a Lasgun has an attack value of 7+1d, which is to say 7 plus the successes on a die roll. You can add extra dice to damage by shifting extra 6's from the initial check as well.

I'm hoping this being the final one means Eagle Ordinary will start up again. It's real good.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Were there ever stats for pariah/nullness in any of the games?

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Schadenboner posted:

Pretty sure DH2 has them but it's been a long time since I looked at it and I'm not sure if they survived the beta.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Schadenboner posted:

Null is an elite advance in Dark Heresy 2nd ed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Null is an elite advance in Dark Heresy 2nd ed.

It's also in one of the rogue trader add-on rulebooks, I forget which one. Don't recall seeing them in only war or deathwatch