Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

flatluigi posted:

Exact same thing as what, exactly?

As doing whatever it is that you need Reshade to do. Reshade hooks the code as dlls straight into the game IIRC but you don't need to do that to create an overlay, you don't need to do that to read the buffer and you don't need to do that to influence the rendering pipeline if you wrap-up your own transformations outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Elentor posted:

As doing whatever it is that you need Reshade to do. Reshade hooks the code as dlls straight into the game IIRC but you don't need to do that to create an overlay, you don't need to do that to read the buffer and you don't need to do that to influence the rendering pipeline if you wrap-up your own transformations outside.

I mean, the point of Reshade is to change the graphics of the game and you can't do that without injecting stuff. You can certainly make your own overlay to do a thing, but you're not changing the graphics then. You're making an overlay.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Just wear piss glasses instead

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

flatluigi posted:

I mean, the point of Reshade is to change the graphics of the game and you can't do that without injecting stuff. You can certainly make your own overlay to do a thing, but you're not changing the graphics then. You're making an overlay.

What I don't understand is how stopping Reshade stops other cheats. You can still read the buffer, you can still read the initial pixel, you can still modify the final pixel, if someone's bored enough they can CUDA their way into recreating Reshade in a few hours, I can't see how any other program would be different.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Probably the same reason they blocked that social messaging app that didn't even have a functioning overlay, just the injection library and an empty implementation: its an otherwise clever spot to wedge your hacks in with

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

As a try hard that plays to win with a squad every night OP.GG we basically hate playing the new map despite being able to win on it just as much as erangel. The looting still sucks even after the last patch that adjusted it. The cars are all uniformly bad except for the ones from the OG map. Driving the bronco or pickup at speed has the car sliding out all over the place its insane. The hilly terrain with all the ditches and random rear end rocks and poo poo makes the bad cars even worse. Funny video of that point here. The worst part is that despite how bad all the cars are there are not enough of them!! You need a car almost every game because the map is so huge unless you get circle RNG 5x you will have to move.

The circle almost always ends on some field or mesa area and because the map is huge and the way the circle works there are essentially 3 spots that are always chosen for the final circles. Right of El Pozo, South of Cruz del Valle, or left of Los Leones. I have very rarely seen circles near the coast south of Impala. Any other circles have been the rareist of poo poo, I think I've had 1 circle ever in the area east of El Azahar. They need to change how the circle places on Miramar because most of the map gets wasted by lovely circles.

Because all the circles end on some lovely field, you need to get lucky and hope a hill or mesa isn't in play because if so the team up there destroys everyone else due to the height advantage. There is lots of "cover" but its all incidental and when you are rotating to get to a new spot there is almost always multiple teams that can hit you at any given time due to the lack of large tree cover or big hills.

The map is way too yellow, and the sun sucks.

Almost all the buildings suck rear end to loot.

Winchesters spawn at an increased rate. Please up spawn of rifles / scopes or allow winchester to take a 4x.

Miramar is the map where you will most likely need to be bandaging while driving and it is also the hardest map to bandage while driving.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Elentor posted:

What I don't understand is how stopping Reshade stops other cheats. You can still read the buffer, you can still read the initial pixel, you can still modify the final pixel, if someone's bored enough they can CUDA their way into recreating Reshade in a few hours, I can't see how any other program would be different.

It doesn't stop every other cheat but it specifically stops the cheats that used the hooks that Reshade also used. It's one hole they're plugging out of many, and it's a pretty big hole to leave open just for the sake of some people wanting slightly sharper graphics through Reshade.

I'm not actually sure what you're arguing here.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're not sure what I'm arguing because I'm not arguing anything, I'm just actually asking what are those cheats and how they're effectively stopped because Reshade's hooks are pretty weak and I'm not sure what other category of cheat is prevented in a way that (in my head) can't be updated in a day.

I'm a developer and I'm curious about anti-cheating methods and from the way you stated it I was unsure if all they did was disable the hook or do something deeper in the pipeline. I'm not sure if the class of "cheats" being disabled are stuff like Reshade, SweetFX, or if there are other programs that are affected (like maphack/wallhack) and if plugging that hole stops them, I'd like to know why they're being affected in a way that can't be patched in a day.

Or are you talking just about the other programs like SweetFX and basic post-processing injectors.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 23, 2018

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

They hide by making themselves look just like reshade. It's kind of like how you used to be able to play games on school computers by renaming them to notepad.exe

Attempting to figure out if its legit at runtime is a fools errand

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Is it just me or is the net code even more dogshit than usual?

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

Fuzz1111 posted:

Flaggy posted:

Hahahaha, after the latest patch you have to disable death cams and replays to get the game working right....
Oh for fucks sakes, is THAT what the problem is? Thanks for posting this - a few days ago I got given a video card of....
Well I just got home from work and logged in to see if turning off replays would fix the stuttering issues (which I know not everyone experienced, but they really did make the game unplayable), but it seems another patch dropped in the meantime which seems to have solved them. By my count that's 3 patches in about 30 to 40 hours... I guess I should be thankful that they actually seem to give a poo poo, but gently caress me that seems like they really aren't testing releases properly (unless they discovered 1 or 2 really big bugs that needed fixing now now now and couldn't wait a few hours), and I have to say it made trying to compare performance of different hardware in the game a delightful task for me.

Game should not have left early access, that's for sure.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

They push updates to test server for less than day then bump them to production. They are maniacs.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Just encountered my second hacker ever in FPP, some dude with walls and no recoil just hammering everyone perfectly in the dead center of their chest. Looking at the replay he plays super passive and just tap shoots everyone slowly until it gets to just me and him left and then he full auto sprays into my chest with no recoil at all. That was lame as hell and makes me not want to play this game anymore, I feel sorry for people who play TPP and have had to deal with this for months. TPP still sucks though.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Fuzz1111 posted:

I guess I should be thankful that they actually seem to give a poo poo, but gently caress me that seems like they really aren't testing releases properly (unless they discovered 1 or 2 really big bugs that needed fixing now now now and couldn't wait a few hours), and I have to say it made trying to compare performance of different hardware in the game a delightful task for me.

I work with software testing, it's a difficult thing to get right. Most likely the stuttering issue only occurs on certain GPUs or combinations of GPU and driver version, or particular chipsets or similar. It's probably not a combination they have in their test lab, so the bug slipped. (If they are doing testing right, they now have that combination in their lab.)

It might have been noticed in the test servers, but I suspect that it would take a few days to narrow down the root cause of such a bug report, and the time between test deployment and live deployment is too short. I can't imagine they even have the capacity to sift through the user feedback on the forum before taking it live. Test client probably only serves as a canary test in case a large portion of users report game-breaking bugs (which their online analytics could even report automatically in case of as client disconnects (crashes)). If I were at Bluhole, I would argue for longer periods on the test servers, but well, I'm not.

Jerkface posted:

The hilly terrain with all the ditches and random rear end rocks and poo poo makes the bad cars even worse. Funny video of that point here.

I didn't know the game could throw you out of a car when crashing. Is that what happened? If not, you're all idiots for jumping out of a moving vehicle...

Jerkface posted:

The map is way too yellow, and the sun sucks.

Hence why Trump hates Mexico, I bet!

Elentor posted:

I could be completely wrong about what Reshade does, but my impression was that it acts inside the rendering pipeline, before the data is flattened and rendered into pixels on a buffer. As a programmer, if I was able to hook in there, I could access geometry that's supposed to be invisible to the player, making a wallhack trivial.
If all my program can access is the buffer (ie pixel data), then wallhax are right out the door. It would still be feasible (though non-trivial) to make aimhacks by using image recognition, but without accessing geometry data this is at least made a lot more difficult. That leaves tweaking brighness and visibility etc which are a much less serious offense in my opinion (that's what people wanted reshade for after all).

With this in mind, of course it's still possible to access the geometry by reading the memory of the game executable. Bit that's considerably less simple than using a documented and supported nvidia API. As others alluded to, blocking reshade is like locking the doors of a house with glass windows.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 23, 2018

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I didn't know the game could throw you out of a car when crashing. Is that what happened? If not, you're all idiots for jumping out of a moving vehicle...

They bailed mid flip because the car was about to explode. They were dead either way.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Party Plane Jones posted:

They bailed mid flip because the car was about to explode. They were dead either way.

What are you talking about, it doesn't blow up in the video.
It might have done that later, but they couldn't know if it would or not. If you've played PUBG at all you know jumping out will kill you no matter what. I would have taken my chances and stayed inside.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Last night was mad. Had three cars inside the shelter underground and that’s one of the least crazy things that happened. :psyduck:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Odobenidae posted:

I feel sorry for people who play TPP and have had to deal with this for months. TPP still sucks though.

I don't get it. Is it just that more hackers play in TPP mode, or does TPP lend some further advantage to hackers?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

If you've played PUBG at all you know jumping out will kill you no matter what. I would have taken my chances and stayed inside.

What determines how much damage you receive when doing this? The first two times I got out of a moving vehicle I died instantly; the first time was an obvious, full-bore dive, but the second was when the car was moving all of two or three miles per-hour, but now (since a patch, maybe?) I can usually get out of any car going any speed with never more than a 25% hit to my health. I can also seem to jump from higher places without dying, than I could before.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I could be completely wrong about what Reshade does, but my impression was that it acts inside the rendering pipeline, before the data is flattened and rendered into pixels on a buffer. As a programmer, if I was able to hook in there, I could access geometry that's supposed to be invisible to the player, making a wallhack trivial.
If all my program can access is the buffer (ie pixel data), then wallhax are right out the door. It would still be feasible (though non-trivial) to make aimhacks by using image recognition, but without accessing geometry data this is at least made a lot more difficult. That leaves tweaking brighness and visibility etc which are a much less serious offense in my opinion (that's what people wanted reshade for after all).

With this in mind, of course it's still possible to access the geometry by reading the memory of the game executable. Bit that's considerably less simple than using a documented and supported nvidia API. As others alluded to, blocking reshade is like locking the doors of a house with glass windows.

Yeah I think I get it now, it's not that it's impossible, it's just that before it was trivial.

credburn posted:

I don't get it. Is it just that more hackers play in TPP mode, or does TPP lend some further advantage to hackers?

I don't know, but until a while ago there was definitely way more hackers in TPP.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

credburn posted:

What determines how much damage you receive when doing this? The first two times I got out of a moving vehicle I died instantly; the first time was an obvious, full-bore dive, but the second was when the car was moving all of two or three miles per-hour, but now (since a patch, maybe?) I can usually get out of any car going any speed with never more than a 25% hit to my health. I can also seem to jump from higher places without dying, than I could before.

I've been scared off from jumping out of moving vehicles by the same experience as you. I've also noted that streamer Chocotaco lately manages to jump out before his car is stopped and rarely takes damage. I had thought he had a trick to it, since he often stops by handbrake sliding into a stationary object, stopping the car dead just as he jumps out. I've been scared to play around with it myself. You make it sound like it could be worth trying!

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 23, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Just wear piss glasses instead

that isn't what reshade did. i already got f.lux which does the piss glass thing to my monitor.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I've been scared off from jumping out of moving vehicles by the same experience as you. I've also noted that streamer Chocotaco lately manages to jump out before his car is stopped and rarely takes damage. I had thought he had a trick to it, since he often stops by handbrake sliding into a stationary object, stopping the car dead just as he jumps out. I've been scared to play around with it myself. You make it sound like it could be worth trying!

Can't recall exactly, but i think he angles the car before he hops out, i think i remember him also switching seats to the rear sometimes before hopping out too so any forward momentum from the car wouldn't touch him. He'll also often crash the car into the building, not fast enough to damage the car before hopping out also, which helps with not getting hit by a rolling car.

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 23, 2018

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

credburn posted:

The rationale I heard is that as the game defaults to TPP, it means that if you're cheating your way to the top of the leaderboard, you're more visible on the TPP leaderboards than FPP. Seems simultaneously plausible and unverified.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the chinese aren't good at fps so they play tpp and most hackers tend to be chinese.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
~the chinese~

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

is this where i complain about the game but then keep playing it anyway because reasons

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

khysanth posted:

is this where i complain about the game but then keep playing it anyway because reasons

It is! Welcome, friend. Don't worry, someone will be along soon with your "REGION LOCK CHINA" starter pack.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Am I alone in the option that both of the current maps would be vastly improved if there were far, far more random ramps for sick vehicle jumps on the side of the road, especially on the bridges?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

khysanth posted:

Not enough swearing. Throw a few "fucks" in there and you'll be ready.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Not enough swearing. Throw a few "literally's" in there and you'll be ready.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Am I alone in the option that both of the current maps would be vastly improved if there were far, far more random ramps for sick vehicle jumps on the side of the road, especially on the bridges?

Those trash bags on Miramar should be ramps.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

willroc7 posted:

~the chinese~

thems most of the hackers.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

It might have been noticed in the test servers, but I suspect that it would take a few days to narrow down the root cause of such a bug report, and the time between test deployment and live deployment is too short. I can't imagine they even have the capacity to sift through the user feedback on the forum before taking it live. Test client probably only serves as a canary test in case a large portion of users report game-breaking bugs (which their online analytics could even report automatically in case of as client disconnects (crashes)). If I were at Bluhole, I would argue for longer periods on the test servers, but well, I'm not.
This is definitely their biggest problem with testing, they put an update out on the test server and have already decided on a release date at that point. Very rarely have they delayed releasing, usually the update goes over to the public server with a number of known bugs people have been complaining about since day one of test availability.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

We got knocked out of the car because it did 60%+ damage to us right at that moment, it was an insane amount of damage for a car roll. The first bump did 5-10% and then BOOM we got roasted. Its funny because it looks like a realistic car crash with us in the bed getting thrown out, but it only happened because we had lower health than the guys in the cab.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Hellsau posted:

Those trash bags on Miramar should be ramps.
Uh, they are specifically designed to get up on two wheels for stuntin'

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I got a dream crossbow kill from the 3rd floor balcony of the hotels in Pecado to someone on the roof of the casino.
The round after I turned off replays. Sigh.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Jerkface posted:

We got knocked out of the car because it did 60%+ damage to us right at that moment, it was an insane amount of damage for a car roll. The first bump did 5-10% and then BOOM we got roasted. Its funny because it looks like a realistic car crash with us in the bed getting thrown out, but it only happened because we had lower health than the guys in the cab.

Oh, I knew you'd get thrown out for being knocked out (0 hp) but it seems I wasn't paying attention to your health bars. Looks like one guy took more like 90% so of course you all died. Sorry for the derail! That is indeed a really annoying death. Of course, I believe vehicles in PUBG were intentionally designed to be annoying.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

revolther posted:

Uh, they are specifically designed to get up on two wheels for stuntin'

they're specifically designed to question whether it's a bunch of trash or a blue buggy off in the distance that will be your salvation from the zone.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
Jesus Christ, just watching IEM and first circle is 70% water. How hard can it be to generate an algorithm to avoid ridiculous circles that will end in a joke game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

knees of putty posted:

Jesus Christ, just watching IEM and first circle is 70% water. How hard can it be to generate an algorithm to avoid ridiculous circles that will end in a joke game?

Honestly, i'd prefer more games that did that here and there instead of the 1 out of 1000 chance atm. It'd help speed up the mid game considerably. Not saying all the time, but it'd be a nice change of pace besides always leaning center.

VietCampo fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 24, 2018