Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

deets posted:

Char designs by Yun Koga, dapper bird design by Kazue Nakajima, and robot design by Masaki Asai.
Why does the dapper bird get its own separate character designer? They usually stick to one designer for the originals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011

Beta? Beta? Where is Alpha?

:v:

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

AradoBalanga posted:

Why does the dapper bird get its own separate character designer? They usually stick to one designer for the originals.

Dapper bird rival / villain confirmed.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Doc Quantum posted:

Beta? Beta? Where is Alpha?

:v:

I don't know how this joke never crossed my mind before

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

deets posted:

Char designs by Yun Koga
Wait, the Loveless lady?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Endorph posted:

Wait, the Loveless lady?

Apparently?

I'm torn. I like Iori's backstory better but Amari's design and music better.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

AradoBalanga posted:

They did three! The rival and his mech were designed by Tatsunosuke Yatsufusa. (Google says he did the Record of ATX manga.)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

HitTheTargets posted:

They did three! The rival and his mech were designed by Tatsunosuke Yatsufusa. (Google says he did the Record of ATX manga.)

Oh yeah, the manga that gave Latooni Go Nagai-style sideburns!

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Hokuto posted:

I don't know how this joke never crossed my mind before

Alpha 1 FanTranslation never :smith:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
So I finally got around to playing Alpha Gaiden after V was my intro to the series.

I thought I was doing well, I got like 34/37 SR points so far and haven't had any really major issues. But holy poo poo is chapter 38 just a brick wall I'm slamming into. I think I may literally not have enough damage to actually take out this Turn-X rear end in a top hat.

Am I crazy or is this just a tremendous spike in difficulty :psyduck: Maybe I over-invested in Reals instead of supers? I'm only really using the Mazingers and Shin Getter with a fuckton of Gundams, Xabungle and Macross people.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Zore posted:

So I finally got around to playing Alpha Gaiden after V was my intro to the series.

I thought I was doing well, I got like 34/37 SR points so far and haven't had any really major issues. But holy poo poo is chapter 38 just a brick wall I'm slamming into. I think I may literally not have enough damage to actually take out this Turn-X rear end in a top hat.

Am I crazy or is this just a tremendous spike in difficulty :psyduck: Maybe I over-invested in Reals instead of supers? I'm only really using the Mazingers and Shin Getter with a fuckton of Gundams, Xabungle and Macross people.

Okay, so this is the part of the game where you start needing to use some trigger discipline.

Basically, even when you have a turn limit in play for a skill point, you want to take your sweet time, like 1-2 turns if necessary, just positioning all of your dudes at optimal attack ranges for the boss, while ensuring that you are gaining maximum benefit from all pilots with Support and all pilots who know Encourage (I think it was called that? The thing that raises morale by 10 for all adjacent units). Don't cast Spirit with your main attackers when you can just have a supporter use Encourage on them instead. That will give you more uses of Valor. If you really want to feed one person morale, try sandwiching them between multiple units that can cast Encourage. If you don't have any support people that can use this spirit leveled, then you can make do without.

In quick summary, dealing with the Turn X goes like this:

Step 1: Get your morale up (Encourage preferred but not required)
Step 2: Get into position with attackers+support attackers
Step 3: End your turn so that everybody can go ham at once next turn
Step 4: When the boss regenerates or casts Wall or both, just end the turn
Step 5: Repeat as necessary

Also, Reals are king in Alpha Gaiden. I promise you did not pigeonhole yourself with your upgrade choices. They're better than Supers in the majority of cases.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
My first run with Gaiden was with both Macross Plus units being my MVP because their punches were so cheap to spam.

Keep in mind that terrain bonuses are haaaarsh in gaiden. Nu Gundam is supremely poo poo because he's like B in ground which might as well reduces his stats by 40%.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hokuto posted:

Okay, so this is the part of the game where you start needing to use some trigger discipline.

Basically, even when you have a turn limit in play for a skill point, you want to take your sweet time, like 1-2 turns if necessary, just positioning all of your dudes at optimal attack ranges for the boss, while ensuring that you are gaining maximum benefit from all pilots with Support and all pilots who know Encourage (I think it was called that? The thing that raises morale by 10 for all adjacent units). Don't cast Spirit with your main attackers when you can just have a supporter use Encourage on them instead. That will give you more uses of Valor. If you really want to feed one person morale, try sandwiching them between multiple units that can cast Encourage. If you don't have any support people that can use this spirit leveled, then you can make do without.

In quick summary, dealing with the Turn X goes like this:

Step 1: Get your morale up (Encourage preferred but not required)
Step 2: Get into position with attackers+support attackers
Step 3: End your turn so that everybody can go ham at once next turn
Step 4: When the boss regenerates or casts Wall or both, just end the turn
Step 5: Repeat as necessary

Also, Reals are king in Alpha Gaiden. I promise you did not pigeonhole yourself with your upgrade choices. They're better than Supers in the majority of cases.

Thanks. Yeah, I think I got a bit too much into the habit of using my units as largely solo players outside of abusing positioning for support attacks. I've mostly ignored rouse and encourage so far because I usually just sort of don't consider focus. Mostly because its usually up where I need it to be (except for the Macross pilots and their stupid nukes) and I haven't considered its role in damage etc.

My other issue has been using a ton of SP on focus and Bullseye. Which obviously eats into the soul/valor pool. There's no way to directly increase a Mech's accuracy outside of the parts that add +×% to hit right?

Also wasting it on flicker since the Turn-X one shots all my reals.

Tae posted:

My first run with Gaiden was with both Macross Plus units being my MVP because their punches were so cheap to spam.

Keep in mind that terrain bonuses are haaaarsh in gaiden. Nu Gundam is supremely poo poo because he's like B in ground which might as well reduces his stats by 40%.

Yeah, my hi-Nu Gundam has a dust filter and solar panel permanently wedged on because it was almost useless without them.

As a side note, I still haven't totally gotten my head around the support attack/defense rules. Like i got that usually if one mech is on the ground and the one next to it is flying they won't trigger support attacks. But I can't figure out the priority it pulls for support attacks, or how it chooses which attack to use outside of "enemy is on range". Like sometimes it just totally stops using powerful attacks even when they still have ammo/En for then

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I believe Alpha Gaiden was the first game to have support attacks and the rules are accordingly archaic.

Generally, a unit can support another if the supporting unit can move into the first unit's terrain. So flying units that can land can support ground units, but ground units that can't fly can't support flying units.

The supporting unit must be able to use the support attack based on all the regular considerations. I think Alpha Gaiden picks attacks based on the most powerful attack it can use without not being able to use that attack again. So if a unit only has one shot left of its finisher, it will use something else.

Defense is similar, but it's just if the unit can move into the terrain and if it won't die from the attack.

Once support attack and defense come in deathballing is the one true SRW strategy. At least until you find the unit so broken you can just have it solo the map.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The rules for which attack the AI chooses to support with are more or less unchanged, much like the ones for counterattacks, but then couldn't you manually override it back then?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Zore posted:

Thanks. Yeah, I think I got a bit too much into the habit of using my units as largely solo players outside of abusing positioning for support attacks. I've mostly ignored rouse and encourage so far because I usually just sort of don't consider focus. Mostly because its usually up where I need it to be (except for the Macross pilots and their stupid nukes) and I haven't considered its role in damage etc.

Just remember, Alpha Gaiden is a game that's doable as a no-upgrade run, getting all skill points and staying on the hardest difficulty. You should have more than enough tools at your disposal to deal with annoying regeneration—You just gotta remember they're there.

Nice work getting that far, though! You shouldn't be too far from endgame now.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

In addition to what's been said about Rouse, you can take advantage of bringing units with a subpilot to be Rouse-bots. The Freeden, Walker Gallier with Rag as sub-pilot, Super Gundam with Sochie as sub-pilot are some examples. You can make a diamond formation with four Rouse-bots, park a bunch of units around them, and next turn go to town with it. You could easily have everyone with +120 t o +140 Will if you move units around a bit.

Also, if you've invested in it, the Deathscythe Hell Custom is like the hidden MVP of Alpha Gaiden. IIRC, it's got a non-Beam non-EN non-Ammo attack that has 1-5 Range and a +50% Crit boost, and solid terrain values. Max out its Speed, upgrade its weapons a bit, slap a Haro and either something that increases Move or Hit and you have a unit you can send ahead to soften up units for other people.

So what you can do in the back half of Stage 38 is to have your other units go to the side, while you have Deathscythe's pilot cast Accel and Focus (to avoid Gym and the snipers) and make a beeline straight to Marybell and her Mahiroo squad. Once you've parked Deathscythe on the crater, the terrain bonus means no one has a chance of hitting it and you can take out Marybell's squad solo. Once that's done, you can move Deathscythe in front of Gym and soften up the snipers with him.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
ahh I can't find the great booster support attack 4koma

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Guys.

We can beat Mazinger ZERO with Zero and Wing Zero.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'd be more hype if it was Wing Zero instead of Wing Zero Custom. :smith:

At least WZC kind of fits in with the fantasy theme here though.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Wing Zero Custom is totally going to be a dead ringer for some kind of Al Warstian mythic figure, huh.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
*banging my cutlery on the table* Fro! Zen! Tear! Drop! Fro! Zen! Tear! Drop!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The GIG posted:

Ew

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Grey Stoke with Gump Gundam.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

The GIG posted:

Why do you have so much hate in your Space Heart.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
So who's playing what MC because I can't decide so I figure I might as well do it by forming a comparing circle.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm playing male so I can rename him Keith Courage.

ShiunTouya
Feb 16, 2012

Use Orgonite Buster here!
I'm playing Iori. I'm considering getting it in japanese just because I'm excited about the originals.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Playing the girl because I'm me.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

The GIG posted:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
I hope Bird Wizard hands out the Ace commendations.

"Good job out there, Sho. But please tell Cham to stay out of my cage."

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Playin' dude cos I prefer his look and backstory, but I'll play the lady on NG+ anyway.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Magic Bird Butler is another reason I'm optimistic about this game. There is absolutely no indication that there will be any form of Plot Girl (other than Amari, obviously). Instead there is a good bird in a waistcoat.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
What is Magic Bird Butler's deal anyways? I saw people posting some snippets of personality and backstory for the human characters, did he get anything?

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I wasn't too enthused by the cast list so I wasn't going to buy SRW X, even though I really like Greco.

Cockatoo Wizard pushed me over the edge. So I guess i'm gonna get it now.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Zore posted:

What is Magic Bird Butler's deal anyways? I saw people posting some snippets of personality and backstory for the human characters, did he get anything?

I'm assuming he was engineered by the Magic Church to go along with the Zelguard, like maybe as a pilot's familiar or a control system or a guide or something like that.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 23, 2018

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I'm going with the girl because I played Souji first in V and want a change of pace.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
https://www.twitch.tv/dramata2/

Alpha 2 stream going up soon!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I'll be starting with the girl as I usually do. Also Wizard Bird is going to be great, I just know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
Every since Setsuko in Z I've started with the lady when I have the option and I plan to do the same here.

• Locked thread