Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Jazerus posted:

i haven't been fiddling with my starbases much at all. if you keep up with your fleet there's no need to have ultra-forts everywhere, just near neighbors you're a bit nervous about fighting. keep upgraded starbases that you capture, reconvert them into trading hubs and anchorages as your borders expand away from them. if you're growing, then you will probably not have starbase capacity issues; and if you're not growing, you can place them more optimally and place more defenses.

i'm still spending a lot more time on space construction and planet management than starbases; they're not really any more time-consuming than spaceports were, just more expensive.

Playing Fanatical Purifiers I tend to get into multi-front wars all the time and in those you absolutely need defence bases up and running because hyperlanes are unbearably slow and combat is still all about having the biggest number so you can't split your fleet unless you've got more than double your enemy's strength. You need to slow one of the enemy fleets down so you can focus on the other one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

jealous tbh

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

QOL request would be to allow ships with +1 sensors to path into the fog, because they can absolutely do it, I just don't want to have to keep clicking.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Baronjutter posted:

I really wish there were separate unity and tech speed sliders. I like my tech to come in slower but unity traditions to come in at usual speed. MORE SLIDERS.

:agreed:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

That's like the best possible start, enjoy having a free citadel at the only entrance to your empire.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.
So I have what I think is a marauder tribe as a next door neighbor, but they haven't properly introduced themselves and I don't have a special project to learn about them as I would with a normal empire. They just show up as "Beta Aliens" and their systems have the red exclamation point since they are auto-hostile. Will they actually talk to me at some point or was their intro bugged?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

So I have what I think is a marauder tribe as a next door neighbor, but they haven't properly introduced themselves and I don't have a special project to learn about them as I would with a normal empire. They just show up as "Beta Aliens" and their systems have the red exclamation point since they are auto-hostile. Will they actually talk to me at some point or was their intro bugged?

They'll probably talk to you - I had one of those. They weren't next door, though.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Syndlig posted:

uhhh Wiz i have a bit of a problem

looks like it doesn't seem to affect anything in-game at least but my title screen's all fucky

Woah that planet got mega bombarded

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Starbases can make a ton of energy if you fill them mostly with trade depots and poo poo. I'm getting like 40+ energy from each one and my empire's energy balance is only about +20 so those trade-focused star bases are life-savers.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Why are empires now coloured in their secondary colour instead of their primary? That seems a bit, uh, odd as a design choice. I feel like the empire's primary colour should be the one inside the border and the secondary colour used to mark the border itself.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Why the gently caress do I instantly gain 100% war fatigue from any sort of fleet combat? Even if I "win" (their stack is reduced to 1k and EFTLs out or some such) it treats it as an "Utter Defeat".

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Regarding the Global Pacifier, is it possible to use it on your own worlds? This is important for my Spathi playthrough.

Emalde posted:

Why the gently caress do I instantly gain 100% war fatigue from any sort of fleet combat? Even if I "win" (their stack is reduced to 1k and EFTLs out or some such) it treats it as an "Utter Defeat".

That's something that really annoys me in particular. Space battles that are won should decrease war fatigue, making winning decisive battles key to galactic morale and encouraging players to actually go out and fight.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Emalde posted:

The whole war exhaustion system and peace progress could use a balance and probably bug pass.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

You can't seem to build Dyson Spheres

update: if you click on something that should be a valid target it will build it, they just don't show up. However:

Come on guys, measure twice cut once. They're not planning to loving slide this thing over when it's finished, are they?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

cock hero flux posted:

update: if you click on something that should be a valid target it will build it, they just don't show up. However:

Come on guys, measure twice cut once. They're not planning to loving slide this thing over when it's finished, are they?

Looks like NASA still hasn't figured out the whole imperial versus metric thing

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
Dumb question, is there still a research penalty per population?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1117968050

Victoria 3 for Stellaris has been updated, with a Meiji Japanese portrait set added to the mix now.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Spyderizer posted:

Dumb question, is there still a research penalty per population?

There is not, to my knowledge.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Starbases can make a ton of energy if you fill them mostly with trade depots and poo poo. I'm getting like 40+ energy from each one and my empire's energy balance is only about +20 so those trade-focused star bases are life-savers.

Yeah really I've converted my starting starbase into one of those ASAP and moved my shipyard closer to the front for faster repairs and reinforcement in both my games so far, it works well. They're not too expensive to retrofit.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

:same:

Ofaloaf posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1117968050

Victoria 3 for Stellaris has been updated, with a Meiji Japanese portrait set added to the mix now.

Cool, いい

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Does Armageddon orbital bombardment damage your own troops? Bit hard to tell the difference with the dinky starter robot armies, they take a lot of damage regardless.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

OwlFancier posted:

QOL request would be to allow ships with +1 sensors to path into the fog, because they can absolutely do it, I just don't want to have to keep clicking.

I keep clicking "explore" on a new system instead of "survey" and then noticing my science ship has been sitting idle for a couple years having done nothing but enter the unexplored system.

:negative:

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Looks like it's always optimal to specialize starbases, like if you build an Offworld Trading Company you want every module to be a Trading Hub, if you build a Logistics office they should all be Anchorages, and if you build a Fleet Academy they should all be Shipyards. Prolly not saying anything anybody doesn't already know but it's something I do appreciate in the expansion because I've always liked specialization and it feels natural and more meaningful than the old approach to starports.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's the point of bombardment now? It will nearly glass the planet before it does any meaningful damage to enemy troops and takes a very very very long time so you're always better off just build a couple more ground troops. Seems mostly useful for playing a very evil empire that gets access to the strongest bombardment to convert them into tomb worlds. But there seems to be almost no worth-while upside to bombardment if you plan on invading. Feels like your ships should provide some sort of capped space-superiority bonus for ground invasions since they're able to destroy anything that pops its head out of a bunker safely from orbit.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Magil Zeal posted:

Looks like it's always optimal to specialize starbases, like if you build an Offworld Trading Company you want every module to be a Trading Hub, if you build a Logistics office they should all be Anchorages, and if you build a Fleet Academy they should all be Shipyards. Prolly not saying anything anybody doesn't already know but it's something I do appreciate in the expansion because I've always liked specialization and it feels natural and more meaningful than the old approach to starports.

What I'm not getting yet is if its ever worth it to put more batteries/hangars on a station instead of whatever? Doesn't seem like a good tradeoff for what you get?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

What I'm not getting yet is if its ever worth it to put more batteries/hangars on a station instead of whatever? Doesn't seem like a good tradeoff for what you get?

If you're using the station as a fortress, probably, it's a signfiicant amount of gunnery located behind a lot of hitpoints. A key thing is that more guns is very important for dealing with more ships because they tend to spread their damage out a bit, so you need a lot of them to do anything significant to a fleet.

The base itself has a lot of hitpoints and it gets more with each gun battery you add, so you're basically making a super platform out of it and protecting any auras it gives for longer.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Galaga Galaxian posted:

drat, I've been completely boxed in by Ancient Mining Drones. How aggressive are these things? Can I slip science ships past them or am I gonna have to beef up my fleet to clear them out?

If you're careful you might be able to manually sneak past them. Run if you get too close and they get pissy about it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

What's the point of bombardment now? It will nearly glass the planet before it does any meaningful damage to enemy troops and takes a very very very long time so you're always better off just build a couple more ground troops. Seems mostly useful for playing a very evil empire that gets access to the strongest bombardment to convert them into tomb worlds. But there seems to be almost no worth-while upside to bombardment if you plan on invading. Feels like your ships should provide some sort of capped space-superiority bonus for ground invasions since they're able to destroy anything that pops its head out of a bunker safely from orbit.

It'll kill ground troops so if you don't like having to have 50 armies you can bomb the armies down and then take the planet with just a few. AI doesn't seem to build many forts and doesn't seem to build generators at all so bombardment will serve you well enough in that case. It does take a long time to soften up troops now though, even with Armageddon bombing.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

To be honest, the specialization encouragement makes it seem like the only real downside to putting more defense on a station is the upkeep. Like, you can't build multiple of the same building like you can with a module, so what other choice is there, really?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

One of the game's problem since launch is presenting players with a lot of potentially interesting options but not giving enough information or feedback for players to choose. Starbases heavily fall into this. Would my defensive station be more effective loaded with gun batteries or a mix of missiles and fighters too? Or will those trade depots pay to allow me to field more effective ships? Are these 300 mineral platforms worth getting vs 300 minerals worth of ships? Should I install the thing that increases weapon range, or decreases enemy shields, or decreases their mobility? It's all just a guess at this point and there's just not enough in-game feedback to figure it out.

It usually takes a turbo-sperg sitting down with spreadsheets and doing scientific tests to finally come to any conclusions, and that's not really fun.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Baronjutter posted:

What's the point of bombardment now? It will nearly glass the planet before it does any meaningful damage to enemy troops and takes a very very very long time so you're always better off just build a couple more ground troops.

huehuehuehue
*evil laughter for days*

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
I'm loving what happens when you get Wormholes &/or Gateways in proximity and you end up with absurd routes (albeit efficient).

Its deranged but I love it.

Also securing wormholes to basically own two different slices of the galaxy with the risk they are only connected by that one route is fantastic.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Guilliman posted:

huehuehuehue
*evil laughter for days*

Square miles?? In a european space game??

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Given the reference it's fairly appropriate.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

If you're careful you might be able to manually sneak past them. Run if you get too close and they get pissy about it.

Actually I was thinking of restarting, but I ended decided to toss my 550ish fleet power corvette (+ancient shipyard frigate) flotilla at one of the 750-ish clusters just to see how it went. Surprisingly my fleet won with 3 corvettes and the Frigate left on the field, and didn't even suffer any permanent losses thanks to the retreat mechanic. I think kept building up and sweeping groups with a technically weaker fleet.

Turns out the drones are weaker than their combat power suggests.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Actually I was thinking of restarting, but I ended decided to toss my 550ish fleet power corvette (+ancient shipyard frigate) flotilla at one of the 750-ish clusters just to see how it went. Surprisingly my fleet won with 3 corvettes and the Frigate left on the field, and didn't even suffer any permanent losses thanks to the retreat mechanic. I think kept building up and sweeping groups with a technically weaker fleet.

Turns out the drones are weaker than their combat power suggests.

Weapon loadout is supremely important in this patch, drones in particular only do 25% damage to shields and will take increased damage from both lasers and missiles, so if you build a shield heavy fleet with lasers and missiles you will absolutely annihilate them.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

I haven't really had a chance to use defensive stations yet because in my current game I only have two immediate neighbors and both are friendly and I don't feel like starbases to try and stop pirates when I don't really have a good chokepoint is worth it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

OwlFancier posted:

Weapon loadout is supremely important in this patch, drones in particular only do 25% damage to shields and will take increased damage from both lasers and missiles, so if you build a shield heavy fleet with lasers and missiles you will absolutely annihilate them.

That must've been it, my corvettes were all blue lasers (only improved weapon I had researched at the time) with 2 shields and 1 armor for defense.

Not really familiar with the ship building stuff so far.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That must've been it, my corvettes were all blue lasers (only improved weapon I had researched at the time) with 2 shields and 1 armor for defense.

Not really familiar with the ship building stuff so far.

I strongly recommend you check the modifiers on all weapons and especially the designs of the NPC stuff now, which you can look at since the patch, the NPC weapons have particularly extreme modifiers which makes them also quite valuable to acquire, I suspect.

Also on an unrelated note I think the listening post doesn't actually add 2 to sensor range, but rather sets it to flat 2.

I should have 3 systems of range including the T2 sensors. Or maybe 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

OwlFancier posted:

I strongly recommend you check the modifiers on all weapons and especially the designs of the NPC stuff now, which you can look at since the patch, the NPC weapons have particularly extreme modifiers which makes them also quite valuable to acquire, I suspect.

Thats it, there's too much cool new stuff in this update. :3