Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

They're real things.

I mean, they're real things in the sense they fictionally exist in a fictional universe. They're not real things in the sense that you can go down to Walgreens and buy candles that extend your actual lifespan for a century.

Now that that's cleared up, do we ever get closure on Nait and the Prairie Dogs? After the ending of ROTG when he blew up the Chaos rent that ate Tayschrenn and saved the day he just sort of disappears. I haven't seen him pop up in any of ICE's subsequent books, unless I'm crazy.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I just realized during my reread that in book 3 of the Malazan series you find out great ravens came from the flesh of the Crippled God. I thought that was something that came up in the very end of the Malazan series.

I did remember the Kallor candles, though. It's interesting what you remember and not.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's one of these things that becomes more interesting once you know later events. Same with the drowned Edur.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Just about done with GotM (Simtal's fete) and while I remember most events, I forget a lot of the motivation for things unfolding. Finding the sheer number of characters a teeny bit overwhelming. Definitely enjoyed it and going to continue with the series, but I find myself wondering "hmm why are they doing this" a bit here and there.

I have like 2% left according to Kindle and I really have been asking myself "huh, where in Hood's Breath are this character's motives and allegiances aligned?" like every five seconds. I feel like I still know so little about Rallick and Coll who seem pretty major at this point. The Bridgeburners are basically completely against the empire now and planning on rebelling alongside Dujek right?

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I am finally reading Deadhouse Landing and I'm reading it ULTRA slow. I don't want it to end, I won't have anything else Malazan-related to read :(

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Well, as of like three days ago, Steven Erikson has started writing the Karsa Trilogy. So... Soon!

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Please let the Karsa trilogy break Erikson's cycle of talky-talky-ness that really hurt his Kharkanas series.
I would also be extremely cool with the Karsa series ending with Karsa justice killing Bauchelain & Korbal Broach in a darker twist on Tolkien's RotK ending.
B & KB stories are reliably amusing, however even I acknowledge that future B & KB stories have a limited freshness date.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 15, 2018

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Please let the Karsa trilogy break Erikson's cycle of talky-talky-ness that really hurt his Kharkanas series.
I would also be extremely cool with the Karsa series ending with Karsa justice killing Bauchelain & Korbal Broach in a darker twist on Tolkien's RotK ending.
B & KB stories are reliably amusing, however even I acknowledge that future B & KB stories have a limited freshness date.

Karsa is Karsa and Kharkanas is Kharkanas. Mind you, both are cool and good.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

turboraton posted:

Karsa is Karsa and Kharkanas is Kharkanas. Mind you, both are cool and good.

Valid points.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Everyone really should follow SE on facebook

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

cptn_dr posted:

Well, as of like three days ago, Steven Erikson has started writing the Karsa Trilogy. So... Soon!

see ya in 5 years

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Deadhouse Landing growing up strong on me. I guess I'll just reread the whole series when I'm done and see if I can pick up some stuff. I do love picking Malazan names on videogames and getting messages from time to time :)

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

turboraton posted:

Deadhouse Landing growing up strong on me. I guess I'll just reread the whole series when I'm done and see if I can pick up some stuff. I do love picking Malazan names on videogames and getting messages from time to time :)

I've been doing this literally everywhere lately. So far I've used Kallor, Faradan Sort, Masan Gilani, Brys Beddict, and Silchas Ruin just to name a few.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Yeah I've been doing it for years, and it's always cool getting messages from people who recognized the names from the series.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Everyone really should follow SE on facebook

He writes all these books in Word? Not Scrivener or anything? Holy gently caress how does he keep track of everything?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Bardeh posted:

He writes all these books in Word? Not Scrivener or anything? Holy gently caress how does he keep track of everything?
It's very Copperplate Gothic-y

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Fenrir posted:

I've been doing this literally everywhere lately. So far I've used Kallor, Faradan Sort, Masan Gilani, Brys Beddict, and Silchas Ruin just to name a few.

And not Nefarias Bredd.
I am disappointed in you, sir.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Bardeh posted:

A while back he posted a photo of the Psion 5mx he wrote Deadhouse Gates on

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Captain_Person posted:

Holy cow, he wrote it on a PDA?

His publisher must have loved that.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
At this rate I'm fully expecting the GotM manuscript to have been in cuneiform.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Captain_Person posted:

How are his hands not crippled talons after typing a whole novel on that? My wrists are hurting just looking at it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
So I just finished the series (after reading the first two thirds of the books twice) and let me just say that it was great, but the last two books were confusing as hell AND there were tons of characters from earlier in the series whose plot lines I expected to be closed, but were just never mentioned again.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ZombieLenin posted:

So I just finished the series (after reading the first two thirds of the books twice) and let me just say that it was great, but the last two books were confusing as hell AND there were tons of characters from earlier in the series whose plot lines I expected to be closed, but were just never mentioned again.
Some get picked up in Esselmont's books.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Just knowing that Erikson does the formatting & the weird-rear end fonts instead of Bantam/Tor is illuminating.
Want to make a joke comment about the true secrets of malazan series being hidden in the spacing, but...
this is the internet. someone would take me seriously.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

How are his hands not crippled talons after typing a whole novel on that? My wrists are hurting just looking at it.

"The only drawback to using the 5mx was, when I was done Deadhouse Gates, I needed new glasses."

It claimed its price.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
I just finished Midnight Tides, and as usual I am terrible at understanding things that aren't stated explicitly.

Who are the 5 toblakai gods that Iron Bars fights at the very end?

Bugg turned out to be Mael. Is that very significant? I don't remember if Mael has been in any of the other books.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Sjonkel posted:

I just finished Midnight Tides, and as usual I am terrible at understanding things that aren't stated explicitly.

Who are the 5 toblakai gods that Iron Bars fights at the very end?

Bugg turned out to be Mael. Is that very significant? I don't remember if Mael has been in any of the other books.

The first question doesn't get explained in the core malazan books...but yes the 5 toblakai gods are a "oh oh that's what happened" moment in one of the non-core malazan books.
The 5 toblakai gods fight follows the Malazan series trend of former bad-asses getting clowned on by new powers/badasses not being as powerful as they think they are.
Another perfect example of this also exists in midnight tides: Silchias Ruin experiencing malazan explosives for the 1st time.

The 2nd question. keep reading. Real answer: technically no + techincally yes

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

The 5 toblakai gods fight follows the Malazan series trend of former bad-asses getting clowned on by new powers/badasses not being as powerful as they think they are.
That has got to be my favorite thing about the Malazan series. With their archaeological backgrounds, both Erikson and Esselmont know that new tech is generally better than old tech, and they go ahead and apply that to magic too.

My personal favorite example is the whole Dejim Nebrahl storyline, where he gets ridiculously owned over and over again.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Another perfect example of this also exists in midnight tides: Silchias Ruin experiencing malazan explosives for the 1st time.
This is one of my favorite scenes and has one of my favorite lines in the whole series.

Fiddler's the best.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

This is one of my favorite scenes and has one of my favorite lines in the whole series.

Fiddler's the best.

It's actually in Reaper's Gale.

Related to that, Erikson is the best swearer in fantasy writing. He only deploys real world swears like once a book at most, but the timing is just loving perfect

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Letheras City hijinks blur together for me. I was wrong, Strom was right....the shaming of Silchias Ruin takes place in Letheras City pt 2: reapers gale.

Whats the verdict on the latest gay murder-bros story Fiends of Nightmaria?
Price is crazy high for the standalone book, going to wait until for vol2 of Emancipor Reese: elder god of disaster releases this september to read it.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I'm more earnestly focusing on my reread of Deadhouse Gates, having just finished Chapter Eight. Quick question about Heboric.

What exactly did he do to Stormy and Gesler? He passed something through to them. I can't remember if Heboric's stuff is from the K'Chain or the Crippled God. It seems like one of his hands is charged with Otataral or maybe Chaos.

But I'm not sure. So much stuff is making more sense, now, but I was always kind of iffy about what really went down with Heboric.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

apophenium posted:

I'm more earnestly focusing on my reread of Deadhouse Gates, having just finished Chapter Eight. Quick question about Heboric.

What exactly did he do to Stormy and Gesler? He passed something through to them. I can't remember if Heboric's stuff is from the K'Chain or the Crippled God. It seems like one of his hands is charged with Otataral or maybe Chaos.

But I'm not sure. So much stuff is making more sense, now, but I was always kind of iffy about what really went down with Heboric.

Heboric didn't do anything to Gesler/Stormy, it's the warren they flew through that started to mutate them.

As to his hands - his hands are absorbing magic from both otataral and the Jade Statues. Otataral explicitly forms around the statues which I originally took to mean the statues created otataral - but given we later find the true source of otataral, and the constant references to his hands warring with each other, I guess the implication is that otataral is some sort of defensive measure that our reality takes to protect itself from the Jade Statues.

He's something of a wild-card - he keeps getting bounced around from different gods, absorbing dregs of power wherever he can, and nobody pays him much attention until it's too late.

In retrospect, Oponn should have been cheering him on constantly.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Cardiac posted:

And not Nefarias Bredd.
I am disappointed in you, sir.

It was taken :(

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Heboric is like that old detective with one week left until retirement meme.
Danny Glover "I'm (getting) too old for this poo poo".

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Just read Deadhouse Landing, adding to the Concensus that it's good. In fact I enjoyed it more than pretty much any Mazalan book I've read in years.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Otataral is literally Abnegation, so it would only be natural for the world/reality to try and protect itself from the jade statues with it. Like it's immune system. Pretty interesting that it kills all non-elder magic...

CoolHandMat
Oct 5, 2017

dwarf74 posted:

That has got to be my favorite thing about the Malazan series. With their archaeological backgrounds, both Erikson and Esselmont know that new tech is generally better than old tech, and they go ahead and apply that to magic too.

My personal favorite example is the whole Dejim Nebrahl storyline, where he gets ridiculously owned over and over again.

That’s one of my favorite parts of the series, and a part that is constantly cited by people who bash the series. Any ascendant can get beat down, the power levels are not absolute. There is a counter to everyone. And its always the rear end in a top hat ascendant that thinks they are hot poo poo that gets the hardest beat down ex: Dejim Nebrahl

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Continung to read The Bonehunters after a leaving it off for a while. Man I just noticed how good Erikson is at mood shifts. That whole section when the Malazan are stuck under Y'ghatan in tunnels. It is so well written, you actually feel claustrophobic with so many people stuck in such a narrow tunnel. The bits with Sergeant Balm and Deadsmiles is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ulio posted:

Continung to read The Bonehunters after a leaving it off for a while. Man I just noticed how good Erikson is at mood shifts. That whole section when the Malazan are stuck under Y'ghatan in tunnels. It is so well written, you actually feel claustrophobic with so many people stuck in such a narrow tunnel. The bits with Sergeant Balm and Deadsmiles is hilarious.
That's one of my favorite sections. I always remember it as longer than it is because his writing is so effective at creating the mood.