Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The one that I feel better serves you is the one that has it so you generally win any clinches you're in. It's like a free "here, come bonk me in the head" button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Managed to beat the bandits out in the woods near the nightingales you have to try and cage for the Huntsman using my mace. Skilled it up to 2, sword at 9. I'm wondering about weapon combinations. Do I ever not want to be using a shield? I feel like I'd probably die more (somehow) without being able to block properly.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Frog Act posted:

Managed to beat the bandits out in the woods near the nightingales you have to try and cage for the Huntsman using my mace. Skilled it up to 2, sword at 9. I'm wondering about weapon combinations. Do I ever not want to be using a shield? I feel like I'd probably die more (somehow) without being able to block properly.

More than a few weapons are perfectly adequate for defense (can check their stats), and some (like longswords) do considerably more damage with two hands. From what I've seen, shields are most effective against archers, but they lost value once I got some good armor and learned the block/riposte timings.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Frog Act posted:

If you're using an axe, mace, or one-handed sword, there's basically no reason not to take a shield. It makes blocking much more effective and also augments some of your combos. The only exception is the longsword, which needs you to have both hands free to be able to actually use all its fancy (and fairly powerful) combos.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah I played the whole game through without a shield. Who needs em?

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

TjyvTompa posted:

Yeah I know, but there were no markers for me despite activating the quest, only the marker for the start showed up.

The race itself is a different quest than the deliver the horse/etc quest for some reason. I had to go to the quest log and manually select it once it started to get the markers to show up.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Frog Act posted:

So should I invest a bunch of my hard earned Groschen in mace training and stuff because it seems like they make fights actually winnable, which currently I cannot seem to do with my sword. The enemy just blocks and slo-mo stabs me past my shield or something literally every time, and they aren't even badass, just random dudes with decent armor trying to rob me.

I did beat the faint hearted knight after five or six tries. Thank god for the infinite save mod. Can someone link the unlimited weight one as well?

Watch the videos below, you can win fights with swords/axes/etc and just need to practice.

Knobb Manwich posted:

general combat video, pretty helpful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNlk6i2aK3c

Another guy on combos specifically.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fyv2Q1ozuis

Press the attack button just after the blow hits/is blocked. The dot in the middle of the attack directions also flashes white at that time.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I almost never use combos because the enemies that you would actually want to use them on always parry you. So I just stand in one place and riposte or abuse clinches.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Holy crap! That German Knight, Ulrich, is tough as nails! Barely survived the fight, a little surprised I didn't bleed to death during the conversation after the melee...
:sweatdrop:

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Holy crap! That German Knight, Ulrich, is tough as nails! Barely survived the fight, a little surprised I didn't bleed to death during the conversation after the melee...

yeah he was. initially I tried macing him down with a warhammer and died. so on attempt number two I used my trusty Piercer and he easily went down with stabs to the face. the sword is kind of unbalanced and I think I'm going to stop using it.

also, during the chase sequence right before, I decided to try to shoot some arrows at him to see if I could get a lucky shot off. I connected eventually and knocked him off his mount, but he just teleported way ahead of me and back onto his horse!

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X
Anyone else on PC notice a 15fps dive today?

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Hint: He can't block steel with his fists

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Hmm that one monastery guard gets pissed if you don't return the bowl to the cave, but there doesn't seem to be a way to actually do that? There's no prompts in the cave and you can't drop it from your inventory

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Mondian posted:

Hmm that one monastery guard gets pissed if you don't return the bowl to the cave, but there doesn't seem to be a way to actually do that? There's no prompts in the cave and you can't drop it from your inventory

Yeah, there's a "use" prompt if you really look carefully near the cross, but it doesn't actually do anything.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Coldforge posted:

Yeah, there's a "use" prompt if you really look carefully near the cross, but it doesn't actually do anything.

Doesn't do anything? I was able to put the bowl back. Or are you saying nothing happens whether you put it back?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Clanpot Shake posted:

Doesn't do anything? I was able to put the bowl back. Or are you saying nothing happens whether you put it back?

It literally did nothing when I used the prompt. Press X, prompt goes away but nothing happens (no bowl, no nothing).

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
It put the bowl back for me, but gave 0 feedback apart from the model suddenly appearing. No quest updates or anything. Then again I never spoke to any guard to get in, I used the hole in the roof.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Archery is pretty overpowered in this game because a lot of the named characters have open helms for artistic reasons, and you can just shoot them in the face. It's kind of disappointing because they don't seem capable of blocking arrows ever, even if they have a shield?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

corn in the bible posted:

Archery is pretty overpowered in this game because a lot of the named characters have open helms for artistic reasons, and you can just shoot them in the face. It's kind of disappointing because they don't seem capable of blocking arrows ever, even if they have a shield?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

corn in the bible posted:

You're not supposed to have a crosshair, which balances it quite nicely.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
So Highborn v Lowborn, any opinions on this?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

You're not supposed to have a crosshair, which balances it quite nicely.

I think it would be preferable if Henry's arm we're centered so that the knuckle was the point of aim and you sighted down the arrow as.with real worldarchery. As it is the visual aim point is way off from actual aim point and it's.messed.up.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I'm pretty sure 15 year old me was better at archery in real life that one time I did archery at a camp than I am in this game without the corsshair. The combination of vague aim point, moving aim point, your aim point going away as soon as you shoot (aka you can't leave your bow and hand there to see how the trajectory compares and learn from it) and savage arrow drop makes it so hard to hit anything accurately. I put on the crosshair cause gently caress it. You have so much more awareness of how everything is lined up when shooting or throwing something in real life. Video games need good reference points because you lack the entire awareness of your body that real life gives you.

Futuresight fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 23, 2018

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Unzip and Attack posted:

I went with lowborn because it makes more narrative sense for Henry, but I feel that it doesn't really matter once you have a high speech skill and good charisma buffs from gear.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Futuresight posted:

. Video games need good reference points because you lack the entire awareness of your body that real life gives you.

Yeah, they need to move the bow over to the left so your hand serves as the "iron sights" as with real world archery. Till then, reticle is life

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Turns out you can't turn in the quest with the nightingales if you've loaded a game since picking up the last cage and you'll just get stuck in conversation with the huntsman forever and can't get out. so uh, watch out for that

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think it would be preferable if Henry's arm we're centered so that the knuckle was the point of aim and you sighted down the arrow as.with real worldarchery. As it is the visual aim point is way off from actual aim point and it's.messed.up.

Yeah, that's the thing that took me the longest to get over and why it took so long for me to ~get~ archery. I just assumed it worked like that and thought my Henry just sucked and couldn't shoot where he was aiming. Eventually I just realized it was poorly designed and the arrows all went to the center of the screen.
:smith:

Unzip and Attack posted:

High Born: you don't need the speech buff with yokels.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Related to this, as a Henry who bathes and does laundry regularly (no charisma buff, thank you), I am constantly disgusted talking to all of these filthy peasants. FFS, dude, there is a trough right outside your house. At least rub your face off.
:grin:

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Especially when you're trying to elevate your stature.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Yeah, that's the thing that took me the longest to get over and why it took so long for me to ~get~ archery. I just assumed it worked like that and thought my Henry just sucked and couldn't shoot where he was aiming. Eventually I just realized it was poorly designed and the arrows all went to the center of the screen.
:smith:

what

what

what

also lmao the head cracker perk can proc on unarmed attacks

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Guessing alchemy recipes can be fun, and frustrating, but you can certainly get a few of them by the descriptions of the herbs. Including two which don’t seem to do anything, mind endeeblement potion and another. They don’t even have icons. Once you guess the base liquid and ratio of herbs, the game starts giving you the next step to pwrfect the recipe each time you brew it.

This system is somewhat bypassed by the bug(?) people have noticed where all steps relating to heating over time can be safely ignored, which means any recipe which only uses different heats and times will be instantly solved by just getting the right stuff in the pot first time.

I mean I’m guessing that all heating errors are lumped into the one mistake you’re allowed to make? Can’t complain when it comes to cold-brewing Savior schnapps, saves a lot of time.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I suspect that the heating times aren't critical so players can discover recipes on their own. If you had to trial and error the heating steps you'd go insane. It'd be cool though if it only told you the heating was right when you got it right.

You also don't really need to guess the base liquid, if you look in the herb part of the book each herb will have the triangle icon for the base.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Knobb Manwich posted:

also lmao the head cracker perk can proc on unarmed attacks

And arrows.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Note to self; Apparently bludgeoning people with a warhammer makes them go to sleep, not die. I was fighting a cuman camp, and took out two of the guys with my warhammer, however while fighting the last guy, two more showed up seemingly out of nowhere, and it continued like this for a little while until i realized what was going on. What I thought was reinforcements were actually the guys i smacked down earlier.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

GyverMac posted:

Note to self; Apparently bludgeoning people with a warhammer makes them go to sleep, not die. I was fighting a cuman camp, and took out two of the guys with my warhammer, however while fighting the last guy, two more showed up seemingly out of nowhere, and it continued like this for a little while until i realized what was going on. What I thought was reinforcements were actually the guys i smacked down earlier.

You probably have the knockout perk. You can execute knocked out folks with a f hold face smash.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 24, 2018

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).
How far am I through the main plot? I just met Ulrich the Knight, who was investigating the counterfeit coins.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Anyone doing a stealth and light armor try at this? What are you wearing?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Anyone doing a stealth and light armor try at this? What are you wearing?

You basically need the maintenance perks in order to make full effective use of light armor, otherwise you're going to be going through it very quickly.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Somebody repost that location of an unlocked chest with nice gear somewhere in the woods or something, where was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Palpek posted:

Somebody repost that location of an unlocked chest with nice gear somewhere in the woods or something, where was it?

It got patched. I suggest knocking out the faint hearted knight that got me some initial stuff. I'm incredibly bat at this game though