Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Broken Loose posted:

so the pony people took the z engine but they didn't use literally the one selling point of it

I'm not even sure they removed it, it's just that ultimately IPS is merely a safeguard against exploits so it's something you don't actually notice unless you specifically try to enact an infinite while undizzy directly affects gameplay and thus is on the forefront and talked about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Broken Loose posted:

it's me, i'm the person who plays ivy because it's the closest i get to witch/wizard representation in a mainstream fighter without playing rose or mortal kombat

There's a young lady with a crystal ball for a weapon in the very same series. She's a fortune teller and her CE is "ARCANUM AZARAEL"

Also whoever said Hilde is great is 100% correct, I just hate the TAP mechanic of having to hold down a button the entire game.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 23, 2018

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Tessa from Red Earth, you heathens

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

so the pony people took the z engine but they didn't use literally the one selling point of it

I'm p sure the selling point of z engine for the people who actually develop on it is the ability to quickly prototype and deploy assets in action games

Like isn't indivisible being done on z engine

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'll wait one week before deciding to buy the pony game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'll wait one week before deciding to buy the pony game.

If your erection lasts that long call a doctor

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

How is Ivy like a witch or wizard at all? She doesn't cast any spells or fly around on a broom. If anything she's like the werewolf hunters in that french movie I can never remember the name of because she has the whippy sword.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Trivia
General
Ivy, at 179 cm (5' 10½"), is the tallest female character in the series.
At size DDDD, Ivy may have the largest breasts in the franchise.

Although Ivy is British, she pronounces "imbecile" and "futile" the American way.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Saint Freak posted:

Trivia
General
Ivy, at 179 cm (5' 10½"), is the tallest female character in the series.
At size DDDD, Ivy may have the largest breasts in the franchise.

:yeah:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It's me, I played Ivy in SC2.

It's because young me figured out how to set up Summon Suffering and taking half a life bar with a throw was absolutely hilarious. That and her air combos into Ivy Lick were sick.

Perhaps unsurprisingly I also played a tonne of Yoshimitsu where my only goal was to set up suicide combos.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

fadam posted:

How is Ivy like a witch or wizard at all? She doesn't cast any spells or fly around on a broom. If anything she's like the werewolf hunters in that french movie I can never remember the name of because she has the whippy sword.

Brotherhood of the Wolf?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

dragon enthusiast posted:

I'm p sure the selling point of z engine for the people who actually develop on it is the ability to quickly prototype and deploy assets in action games

Like isn't indivisible being done on z engine
the quick asset thing is just a question of workflow, it's not inherent to the engine. As explained in several interviews, it's merely that they understood move timing and balancing would be less costly if done when frames were still just sketched rather than fully animated, because any retake would necessitate a lot less work and thus money. That'd seem logical but in the context of modern game dev, where sprites, animations and models are outsourced, all those assets are usually finished first and then you balance the moves in-house and discover you need expensive retakes.

The real selling point of the z-engine has to do with visuals. It's a bit less relevant in this latest generations where we have oodles or ram, but in the previous ones HD sprite graphics were a real problem because hi res textures take up space fast and video ram amounts were kinda pathetic in the previous gen, and what's more, texture compression formats for GPUs are designed for photo-based pictures and ill-suited to pixel art or clean lineart (ie they're like some kind of crappy jpeg compression). During streams where he talked about that Mike Z liked to bring up the example of Tager in whatever Blazblue revision, where giving him new moves meant they had to remove frames from others because they'd reached the limit. However, to some extent those limitations weren't just due to the hardware, they were because Arcsys and co were still designing their engines like in lower-res days, without searching for approaches better suited to modern hardware. The Z-engine was designed around those limitations, and that's why Blazblue could basically support around 500 8-bit frames per fighter in a two-character match, while Skullgirls can have around 1500 full color frames per fighter in six-character matches, at a higher sprite resolution. (The trick is sprites are stored in the main ram and decompressed and streamed per-frame to texture memory, so they can use some real fancy non-GPU compression).

It's also got some real fancy sprite lighting stuff that's apparently patent-worthy but I couldn't being to explain that one.

And yes, the same engine's being used for Indivisible.

Chev fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 23, 2018

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

fadam posted:

no spells? wtf do you think criminal symphony is?

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Also who is the witch in Mortal Kombat? I think we may need to clarify our terms here.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

HMS Beagle posted:

Also who is the witch in Mortal Kombat? I think we may need to clarify our terms here.

Quan Chi.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

HMS Beagle posted:

Sindel

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

If you need one, the cool correct excuse for playing Ivy is to pretend you're finally playing a good Castlevania fighting game. Her outfit even fits in with Judgement's artstyle

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Man,

I really wish there was a good Castlevania fighting game with Kojima designs instead of Judgement

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Man,

I really wish there was a good Castlevania fighting game with Kojima designs instead of Judgement

that redesign of Grant was horrifying, and almost as bad as putting Simon in ridiculous bondage gear.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
grant danasty boy

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

is this goku black

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I liked the religious kusoge better than the brony kusoge

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
not even kusoge, the only thing wrong with it atm besides unfinished animations is the low damage.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

not even kusoge, the only thing wrong with it atm besides unfinished animations is the low damage.

Actually I think you'll find the weird pony stuff is a significant thing wrong with it.

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 23, 2018

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

IronicDongz posted:

is this goku black

I'm the dog with hind legs for front legs.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

fadam posted:

Actually I think you'll find the weird pony stuff is a significant thing wrong with it.

if u don't like cartoon animals beating the poo poo out of each other your sense of fun is underdeveloped

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

fadam posted:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Maybe if one of the ponies had DDDD breasts and a whipsword.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
What percentage of people who own the game do you think also jerk off to cartoon horses?

It's an honest product, but I don't trust anything that starts as a MLP fangame.

Now excuse me while I go play some Melty.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

CRISPYBABY posted:

What percentage of people who own the game do you think also jerk off to cartoon horses?

It's an honest product, but I don't trust anything that starts as a MLP fangame.

Now excuse me while I go play some Melty.

If it was a regular MLP fan game, like 65%. Because it's a MLP fighting game? Honestly, probably close to 100% lmao.

IronicDongz posted:

if u don't like cartoon animals beating the poo poo out of each other your sense of fun is underdeveloped

This line of argument sounds awfully familiar.

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 23, 2018

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I like the Judgment designs.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

fadam posted:

If it was a regular MLP fan game, like 65%. Because it's a MLP fighting game? Honestly, probably close to 100% lmao.

you are projecting way way too hard

pull up dude, of the many things currently wrong with this slow low damage game, this is the most asinine thing to post about

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
if you wanna play a b-tier fighting game based on a fanbase that is past its prime that came out recently get the umineko fighter

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

mango sentinel posted:

I like the Judgment designs.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
aren't the judgement designs by the death note artist? that's probably why the belmonts have such "gay bdsm" looks

the only design I actually dislike in that game is Death. should have a simpler design, all you need is a cloak, a scythe, and a spooky face imo

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

darealkooky posted:

if you wanna play a b-tier fighting game based on a fanbase that is past its prime that came out recently get the umineko fighter

the umineko game is possibly one of the worst fgs ive ever played

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah but rosa is badass and i want her to be my mom except for the part where she abuses me

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Endorph posted:

yeah but rosa is badass and i want her to be my mom except for the part where she abuses me

suffering builds character

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ROFL Octopus posted:

suffering builds character

if that were true id be way more interesting of a person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

come back here
Voldo or bust.

And by that I mean if Voldo isn’t in Soul Calibur 6 i’m gonna play Ivy.