Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Regarding my last post: I did none of the above fixes yet a day later, doing nothing other than closing/suspending my CB and re-opening it, embedded YT videos now work normally on SA. :shrug:

Regarding this last post: on embedded video working normally, it seems like every other page load is fine, but everything else remains the same (installed extensions, session, etc.) so I have no idea what's going on at this point.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Is there a way to close Chrome that will guarantee I get a prompt to restore my last session? Like by ending the Chrome task through the Task Manager or something? I tried freeing up some other memory but it doesn’t seem to be working. Also I don’t have any extensions that save previous sessions.

I've got a long list of extensions in the OP here including SessionBuddy, which is what I personally have installed.

If Chrome crashes, it should always offer to restore your open tabs, but you have to pay attention because the prompt disappears after a few seconds. Then you have to go to the history/recent tabs to re-open them manually.

Are you just concerned about resuming from where you left off in general, as in your setup is configured to only open the startup/home page whenever you launch Chrome? Then it sounds like you don't have this option enabled: "Settings > On Startup > Continue where you left off"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hi - as a newcomer to Chrome, is there an extension that will let me find my mouse cursor easily?

Say for example you do a "Find" and there are tons of hits and they are hard to visually see due to various reasons. There used to be one in FF that I quite liked where you hit the alt key several times and it made a ripple/circle to where the cursor was. Something like that for Chrome? I am reading some electronic textbooks and hard to find some specific strings of text that I'm looking for at times.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If you're on Windows then the OS itself will do it for you - under Additional Mouse Settings/Pointer Options there's a tickbox for turning on a ripple effect when you press CTRL.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Ah yes, thanks. I guess that doesn't do everything I want - is there something for chrome that will show something like that but for ctrl-f found text?

e: Maybe I'll try this:
http://peterdotjs.com/quick-find-text-search/#content

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Thermopyle posted:

I'm of the opinion you should be developing in a clean (Incognito) version of Chrome anyway...
This is true, I'm just lazy and don't want to switch between an additional window. I'm sure I'd get used to it eventually. Might as well create a specific "Development" user profile, I suppose.

In other news, if you have the mildly popular Page Ruler extension installed, you may want to remove it completely unless the developer gives a full account of a recent update that injects a questionable third-party analytics script. The only reason anyone noticed is because the initial update contained a bug that logged an error about the script to the console. It appears the dev has been buying 5-star reviews in the Chrome Web Store since the updates triggered a backlash in an effort to whitewash the complaints and warnings.

Anyone who knows what they're talking about able to say more one way or another?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I hate all this stuff about extensions getting abused because I use a lot of very useful extensions and who knows WTF they're doing.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
Is it just me or is the non-muted autoplay blocking feature worthless? It routinely blocks YouTube, a site on which I constantly listen to things, but is allowing autoplay on random news sites, on which I never want to hear anything.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Anyone know how to turn off this thing where underlined characters overlap the underline instead of cross through it? As seen here, on the G and P:

It's only just now showing up in Chrome, and it's an incredibly minor thing to be bothered by, but it bugs the crap out of me.

Also: I'm getting a ton of hosed up graphical glitches with this new release, the most common of which is having gifs show up several times in a page, blinking in and out rapidly. Say, scrolling through a thread on SA and having somebody's avatar overlapping another person's AV.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Cabbit posted:

Anyone know how to turn off this thing where underlined characters overlap the underline instead of cross through it? As seen here, on the G and P:

It's only just now showing up in Chrome, and it's an incredibly minor thing to be bothered by, but it bugs the crap out of me.

Also: I'm getting a ton of hosed up graphical glitches with this new release, the most common of which is having gifs show up several times in a page, blinking in and out rapidly. Say, scrolling through a thread on SA and having somebody's avatar overlapping another person's AV.
I'm on Chrome 64 on Win10 and am not seeing anything out of the ordinary. Try pulling the site up in incognito mode and see if the glitches are still present. If that fixes it, time to play extension whack-a-mole.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Cabbit posted:

This was an intentional change in Chrome 64:

quote:

Blink>Fonts
Developers can now use the text-decoration-skip-ink CSS property to control how overlines and underlines are drawn when they cross over a glyph.
I believe it's part of a draft CSS update that only Opera and Chrome have implemented so far. I guess it would be possible to use Stylish or something similar to set text-decoration-skip-ink: none on everything, but I'm not sure. I got used to it pretty quick.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I recently updated to chrome 64 and now I have a strange issue where every time I close my browser all my cookies get deleted.

I realize that there is an option under cookies that does exactly this except it isn't checked. In fact the option itself is disabled because I have all cookies blocked, which when set, disables the option.

I used a different computer with chrome and was able to reproduce this problem. Also, I don't have any extensions installed and I haven't touched any of the chrome://flags.

Is there some setting somewhere that I don't know about that could be causing this? Or am I misreading how "Keep local data only until you quit your browser" works? (Despite being disabled)

Or is it just a bug that I should report?

theratking
Jan 18, 2012

Brutakas posted:

I recently updated to chrome 64 and now I have a strange issue where every time I close my browser all my cookies get deleted.

I think you're probably hitting crbug.com/800414, which should be fixed in Chrome 64.0.3282.140 as far as I can tell. If you are already on that version you should probably file a new bug.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

theratking posted:

I think you're probably hitting crbug.com/800414, which should be fixed in Chrome 64.0.3282.140 as far as I can tell. If you are already on that version you should probably file a new bug.

Yeah that's the version I'm on: 64.0.3282.140. I ended up making a bug report.

The interesting part is only those cookies that contain https in the rule itself are the ones being deleted after the browser gets closed.

Works fine:
code:
[*.]google.com
Works fine until the browser is closed:
code:
[url]https://[/url][*.]google.com:443
If you use Chrome to create the rule, it creates the rule with the https stuff

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
The new version of chrome released today will turn on a built in ad blocker by default for sites which google has decided have “unacceptable ads”. There’s no public list of the sites that are affected, and I haven’t found a single one yet while playing with the beta.

If anyone spots a site where Chrome is blocking ads (with no extensions), I’d love to know as I need to test some things for work.

See here for an explanation of the new feature:
http://d.gu.com/QGRbT6

P.s. I know all of this is irrelevant for us as we have uBlock origin installed already.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
As of this morning the Chrome homepage is only displaying 4 thumbnails of my favorite websites instead of the usual 8, what's up with that? How do I restore the last 4?

edit: turns out I have to put it to 80% zoom to get the last 4 to display. This is retarded as poo poo considering I'm on a 4K monitor using the default Windows DPI settings which is necessary for such a high resolution. Why not just.... let me scroll down instead of flat out removing them just because they wouldn't fit a single screen? It was perfectly fine before the update. There was no need to gently caress with it like that.

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 23, 2018

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I hope it's just an a/b test, are they really trying to say people only have four favourite sites? It still surprises me that Trivago says the average person visits 17 sites before booking a holiday :shrug:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

turns out I have to put it to 80% zoom to get the last 4 to display. This is retarded as poo poo considering I'm on a 4K monitor using the default Windows DPI settings which is necessary for such a high resolution. Why not just.... let me scroll down instead of flat out removing them just because they wouldn't fit a single screen? It was perfectly fine before the update. There was no need to gently caress with it like that.
:google: gonna :google:, I guess.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I updated to the latest CHROMIUM build (64.0.3282.168) and now all the "most visited sites" are gone from the New Tab. Is this supposed to happen or is it a bug? Is it possible to restore them somehow?
It is very irritating, I can barely remember any sites I used to visit now since I've been relying on this feature for so long.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

TjyvTompa posted:

I updated to the latest CHROMIUM build (64.0.3282.168) and now all the "most visited sites" are gone from the New Tab. Is this supposed to happen or is it a bug? Is it possible to restore them somehow?
It is very irritating, I can barely remember any sites I used to visit now since I've been relying on this feature for so long.

Try refreshing. They don't show up for me half the time unless I refresh, though I'm on Chrome.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The latest update didn't fix the hardware-acceleration-on glitch I've had since the previous update where certain gifs bug out big time and some videos (including Youtube) don't show any video while audio is fine. Having hardware acceleration off is kind of a crappy thing for a few things. :(

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
Yupp I'm also getting the 4 tiles on the new tab page. I think it's https://crbug.com/812065. Looks like it's assigned but no activity from the owner.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Something strange going on since I flattened everything and started fresh again. My twitter wont stay logged in, everything else does. Which is extra nice when you use 2-step and have to wait for a text every time you want to look at it.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Nearly everything is bolded, but only on SA, and only on Chrome. What could have caused this?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm having issues with my Chrome profile (on Fedora 27). Restarted my computer, and Chrome didn't start (have it as autostart). If I move the user-data-dir, it works fine, but hangs when I try to sign in. I tried both (starting with existing user dir and an empty one) from the command line with --v=1 and there don't appear to be any relevant messages. Also observed the same behavior with Chromium. I can see several chrome processes but no CPU, memory, or disk activity once they hang. Eventually I get the Wait or Kill dialog. Any ideas? I really don't want to start over with everything that syncs.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Stink Terios posted:

Nearly everything is bolded, but only on SA, and only on Chrome. What could have caused this?

Do you have Roboto fonts in your system's font bank? Try unloading them and reloading the site.

I don't know if it's an all-fonts problem or just Roboto, but Chrome doesn't deal well with (maybe just older versions of) Roboto Bold being on the system for some reason.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

dont be mean to me posted:

Do you have Roboto fonts in your system's font bank? Try unloading them and reloading the site.

I don't know if it's an all-fonts problem or just Roboto, but Chrome doesn't deal well with (maybe just older versions of) Roboto Bold being on the system for some reason.

That did it, thanks.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
If I have a youtube video playing in a background tab, the audio will have popping noises in it fairly regularly. The audio is just fine when I'm on the tab of the video. Turning off hardware acceleration helps somewhat but the crackling noises are still there. Has anyone else had an issue like this?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

qsvui posted:

If I have a youtube video playing in a background tab, the audio will have popping noises in it fairly regularly. The audio is just fine when I'm on the tab of the video. Turning off hardware acceleration helps somewhat but the crackling noises are still there. Has anyone else had an issue like this?

Try starting Chrome with the --disable-background-timer-throttling option.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Thanks for the suggestion but no luck. I think I've tried practically every audio tweak I could find for Chrome but none of them seem to work. A clumsy workaround is to just open a separate window for youtube music.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
chrome 65 changed the color of tabs from #D9D9D9 to #CFCFCF
I recognize that this is a tiny change but I really dislike the new color; is there any way to change it myself?

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Malloc Voidstar posted:

chrome 65 changed the color of tabs from #D9D9D9 to #CFCFCF
I recognize that this is a tiny change but I really dislike the new color; is there any way to change it myself?
I just updated and checked on both Win7 and Win10.
Non-selected tab: Slight gradient like they were before
Selected tab: #F2F2F2

I only have a minimal amount of extensions installed, and none are changing layout or behavior of things outside of the web render window.
Are you sure it's not an extension/theme you have added at some point?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
has anyone ever had a phantom bookmark? I have one I'd like to get rid of, its not in any of my actual bookmarks, its not a bookmark on any of my synced devices. I've unsynced my browser and it still pops up, I've bookmarked and removed bookmark the thing and it still loving pops up. This shouldn't bother me, but it does.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
About a week ago, I enabled hardware acceleration. Since that time, I am most of the time unable to close Chrome unless I go through all the Chrome windows and find the few that haven't finished loading yet. I've never had this problem until a week ago. Any suggestions as to what's going on? I have about 10 windows open, maybe a few tabs among each that are mostly articles / videos I'm going to read eventually.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Something weird happened with hardware acceleration for sure a few updates ago, I've had it disabled because it caused Youtube videos to drop frames (which they still do since the update even with hardware acceleration off but not as badly) and some gifs and whatnot were really screwed up.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I keep getting error code #3 when checking about google chrome, which is the error to do with not being able to update at a system level. I've run malware bytes and windows defender, uninstalled and reinstalled chrome, ran cleanup tool, and still having issues.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

This could be convoluted to explain but here goes...

I was using Firefox at work until I started having some issues and our IT department installed Chrome.

I'm an email designer and I work with HTML tables (don't be jealous!). When I create the HTML version of an email in our mass email platform, I have to create a plain text version of the email. There is a built-in function within our email platform to copy the text from the HTML version, but it adds spaces where indentions exist in the HTML.

With Firefox, it was a quick matter to clean up the plain text email by placing my cursor at the end of a line and pressing Ctrl+Shift+Right Arrow to quickly highlight and delete the indented space characters. This left-aligned all the text and it worked great.

With Chrome, when I hit the same key combination, it also selects the first word of the next line of text, causing me to have to back out using Ctrl+Shift+Left Arrow.

Because this is confusing to explain and likely confusing to understand, here's a screenshot:

On that first line, I placed my cursor at the end and pressed the key combo. It highlights the word "Here".

Is there a way to fix this so it doesn't highlight the next word?

I realize I could un-indent the whole markup but it could create a headache if I need to make changes or find a broken table tag (someone kill me). I could also manually copy the rendered HTML and paste it into the plain text box but it also causes spacing issues (namely, a lack of spaces between paragraphs so I need to add them).

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Does anyone know why Chrome would append an underscore to file extensions downloaded from certain websites? Meaning instead of .zip I get .zip_, which then has to be manually renamed before 7zip will be the default handler.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Had malware bytes pick up a poo poo load of quarantines from an extension folder in chrome. How do I prevent this from happening again

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Do you know what extension it was? Extensions have some kind of hexadecimal id iirc. Try googling it. That would point you in the direction of what it was. Likely sources of infection are installers for other applications installing extensions for Chrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there an extension like Hoverzoom+ or Imagus that works on images in embedded tweets?