Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

The Americans on March 28th, Legion on April 3rd, and this. Now I just need a date on 12 Monkeys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Medium talent.

I laughed. That's my favorite insult ever.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
just started watching Waco and now I want a show where a dopeyface incompetent john leguizamo spends the whole season poorly infiltrating the Koresh compound and growing as a person. just learning how to ride a bike, how to dance, getting free pizza, loving up on questions involving ranching

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I laughed. That's my favorite insult ever.

It's great, but I think my favourite part of the story (at least the way I've heard it) is that Murray reportedly reasoned, "Well, I knew Chevy was coming back to host and episode, and I was the new guy on the cast, so I had to fight him."

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Punkin Spunkin posted:

just started watching Waco and now I want a show where a dopeyface incompetent john leguizamo spends the whole season poorly infiltrating the Koresh compound and growing as a person. just learning how to ride a bike, how to dance, getting free pizza, loving up on questions involving ranching

I would watch the hell out of that! Leguizamo was great in few episodes.

Waco is a drat good show and I've enjoyed it plenty so far. I said earlier in a post that Kitsch is an amazing and perfect David. And from my knowledge it is a fairly accurate portrayal of what happened.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah Waco is pretty solid. Tho it and the far more dubious Heathers tv show (what if fat people gays and blacks were the REAL bullies!!!) make me wonder if the new Paramount rebrand of Spike is pivoting towards some sort of terrible cross between CMT and AMC. The White Grievance Network (WGN??? drat)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Tho it and the far more dubious Heathers tv show (what if fat people gays and blacks were the REAL bullies!!!)

It's more nuanced than that.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
So the reviews like this are just alarmist/clickbaity? It's the daily beast I know. I'm honestly curious. Cuz I was getting Reddit/grandpa email vibes
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-new-heathers-is-a-trumpian-lgbt-bashing-nightmare

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Yes.

You know the first episode is free online, you could just watch it and actually form your own opinion.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I was watching Fringe and got to the last episode.

https://youtu.be/mO0cldlyNJs

loving a this part always tears me up.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Fine fine I'm watching I'm watching
like ten minutes in
So am I supposed to be enjoying this as a science fiction show

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Punkin Spunkin posted:

So the reviews like this are just alarmist/clickbaity? It's the daily beast I know. I'm honestly curious. Cuz I was getting Reddit/grandpa email vibes
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-new-heathers-is-a-trumpian-lgbt-bashing-nightmare

I think so. The show dabbles with some ideas I'm a bit nervous with -- particularly the idea of minority status being cop-opted as a power symbol, though speaking as someone who used to run a queer space it's not unheard of -- but I think it takes a lot of the ideas from the original and updates them in clever ways. There's a lot here about how cycles of violence are self perpetuating even in the absence of the original act of abuse. (The show is essentially a sequel, not a remake.) As with so many revolutions, the absence of the traditional alpha girl squad has led to a power vacuum. There's no static social hierarchy, but instead there's something a lot more fluid and unstable. The minority characters use their status to tear into each other rather than support each other, and in doing so recreate the tensionn and conflicts of the original film. Effectively, Westerbergh has learnt the exact wrong message from the end of the previous film, Martha receiving that scrunchie wasn't a release from an oppressive system, it was just a handover of power.

Additionally: The show flips the script a fair bit. Veronica's very quick to jump onto the murder bandwagon, JD's much more obviously aligned with Nazism, and the antagonist characters from the original are more sympathetic and far more resilient to being bumped off -- particularly the jocks, who are lovely, supportive and explicitly gay. There's also a moment at the end that suggests that JD's the real successor to the legacy of the original Heathers -- he's Shannon Doherty's son. Honestly, I suspect he keeps the red scrunchie in his murder kit, as it's otherwise missing from the show.

Plus the writer of the original film apparently really likes the show, so it's got that going for it too.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Appreciate your post, some of that poo poo makes me leery but as a big fan of the original it does give me some hope
Totally didn't connect that being Shannon Doherty either. Wonder if we're gonna hear some clumsy "teenage suicide" update

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Started watching Imposters. It's... actually strangely good.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Timby posted:

Started watching Imposters. It's... actually strangely good.

I've been singing that song since last year.

It's very funny. and has the hottest Israeli who's not a super hero.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
watched the first episode of No-End House and goddamn that was good

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ended up really enjoying Everything Sucks, enough to blast through it in one sitting, which I very rarely do.

The DO YOU REMEMBER THE 90'S STU?!? stuff was nowhere near as bad as some had made out. In fact, if you take away the music and the movie references (which, admittedly, is like 30% of the show), the whole thing actually feels a lot more 80's in atmosphere. Maybe we're not actually far enough removed from the 90's to really nail that yet.

That said, I've just realised that Everything Sucks is further removed from the time it's set in than Dazed and Confused was when it came out and I now feel really loving old.

Fake Edit: I also watched the whole of Red Oaks season 3 last night and am now properly period-based-coming-of-aged out. That show was extremely my poo poo and I can't believe I hadn't even heard of it until December.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
OK I'll admit I was wrong.

I rewatched the Heathers pilot while much more awake and in a better mood and, while there's still several things about it to dislike, it's pretty good on balance. It hews extremely close to the bone of the movie, with a lot of verbatim dialogue returning.

One thing that will be interesting is seeing how the twitterverse takes it. The show makes no bones about espousing an inherent hatred for "outrage culture", "virtue signaling", and "SJWs". It makes me wonder if some terrible shitlords are going to glom into the show; that article linked already goes in that direction.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

OK I'll admit I was wrong.

I rewatched the Heathers pilot while much more awake and in a better mood and, while there's still several things about it to dislike, it's pretty good on balance. It hews extremely close to the bone of the movie, with a lot of verbatim dialogue returning.

One thing that will be interesting is seeing how the twitterverse takes it. The show makes no bones about espousing an inherent hatred for "outrage culture", "virtue signaling", and "SJWs". It makes me wonder if some terrible shitlords are going to glom into the show; that article linked already goes in that direction.

Of course they will, they have a terminal lack of humour.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What about Black Twitter

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So kind of half mentioned in a Deadline article about Amazon's Culture series but apparently Amazon is also doing something Dark Tower related?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

muscles like this! posted:

So kind of half mentioned in a Deadline article about Amazon's Culture series but apparently Amazon is also doing something Dark Tower related?

Yep

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/dark-tower-stephen-king-series-coming-amazon/

Between this, Lord of the Rings, Robert E Howard's Conan, and that Iain Banks series, my guess is none of these shows are going to have the budget to last more than one season

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Davros1 posted:

Yep

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/dark-tower-stephen-king-series-coming-amazon/

Between this, Lord of the Rings, Robert E Howard's Conan, and that Iain Banks series, my guess is none of these shows are going to have the budget to last more than one season

Honestly, you could do the first two Dark Tower books well and faithfully on a shoestring budget.

E:or the fourth, which would be a great miniseries.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Ugly In The Morning posted:

E:or the fourth, which would be a great miniseries.

Honestly this is really what they should do. It's a fantastic standalone story that sets the stage for the rest of the story - it makes sense to be in the middle of the books, but for a TV series I think it would be best to start with young Roland.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mu Zeta posted:

What about Black Twitter

Way better than white twitter.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Beat Bobby Flay is one of my food-TV guilty pleasures; it's got two dish battles in the span of a half-hour, Bobby Flay is a good personality and he bounces off whoever he brings in well, and it's got a nice mix of "chefs I know" and "chefs I've never heard of", but I have to say, the idea that the "impartial judges" can't immediately figure out that the dish with fresno chilis or some other sort of shoehorned in chili is Bobby Flay's is laughable. That man has an addiction to chili peppers and needs an intervention.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I just wish the guest hosts would ditch the whole antagonist thing with Bobby. I mean I get that that's the premise of the show, but it's just so cheesy. Maybe if they did it differently I'd like it better. That said, I will almost always watch when I happen to catch it, but I have absolutely no idea when new episodes air.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Beat Bobby Flay is at least better than Throwdown, which was just silly.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Inspector 34 posted:

I just wish the guest hosts would ditch the whole antagonist thing with Bobby. I mean I get that that's the premise of the show, but it's just so cheesy. Maybe if they did it differently I'd like it better. That said, I will almost always watch when I happen to catch it, but I have absolutely no idea when new episodes air.

I have a huge backload from the fall but i dunno if new episodes are airing right now. I think it was Thursday nights though.

I get the antagonist thing because it's fun to watch your friend who is really good at something lose. The episodes with the people who actually have a personal connection to him are funnier because they can gently caress with his head a little more (see: his daughter, Helene Yorke, or any of his old chef friends). The comedian ones are the worst because even if they know a bit about food, they don't have the same depth of knowledge, and while they're generally funny enough to make up for it, it also makes the other judge try to step up their comedy game, and most food people really aren't funny.

Honestly, any episode with Alex Guernachelli is a highlight because she knows exactly how many fucks to give on the show (none) and also she knows so much about food. I think I didn't like her when she first started appearing on Chopped but I've come around.

speaking of food television, this season of Top Chef that's airing right now is the best the show has been in years. The best seasons of Top Chef have a bunch of talented chefs who all really like each other, challenges that aren't too gimmicky/bullshit, and a location that lends itself to a bunch of interesting challenges, and Denver really owns in all of those aspects. I haven't liked a season this much since All Stars. (Seattle was good but had a horrible bullshit ending and I liked Charleston because Southern food is magic but this season blows the two of those out of the water)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Medullah posted:

Honestly this is really what they should do. It's a fantastic standalone story that sets the stage for the rest of the story - it makes sense to be in the middle of the books, but for a TV series I think it would be best to start with young Roland.

It’s such a great Western and a story with a bit of something for everyone. Forbidden love, dark magic, grim fantasy, a dash of sci fi. Bookend each episode with a few minutes of ka-tet stuff and I would be blown away.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
I just got my hands on the remastered The Wire episodes (16:9, 1080p) and I figured I should watch an episode or two since because I haven't actually watched any Wire since it originally aired. I was a bit nervous because I always put The Wire as my top 1 show of all time without actually knowing if it hold up. It does. Holy poo poo it does.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Man, the new Tick episodes are... not good so far. Hoping the last few episodes will pick back up but after the first couple it really feels like they postponed this half because they wanted the stronger first half of the season to stand on its own.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I binged it all tonight and I thought it was better than the first. It was kind of weird when they did the flashback to the pilot and you saw the old suit,

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I thought the 2nd half was stronger and flowed a lot better than the first half.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm kind of wondering how much was decided beforehand when they wrote the scripts because one of the episodes is cowritten by Jackson Publick and the big head with little body definitely seems like one of his ideas.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I'm kind of wondering how much was decided beforehand when they wrote the scripts because one of the episodes is cowritten by Jackson Publick and the big head with little body definitely seems like one of his ideas.

I think it would have been written and filmed all together, yeah?

My gut says the season was split up for stupid production or marketing reasons.

(And count me in as another person who wasn't particularly enthused by the back half of the season.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I thought the 2nd half was stronger and flowed a lot better than the first half.

The first half was an upbeat jazzy drum solo, to borrow a metaphor. The second half was an old man disinterestedly tapping out the beat. It really feels they could have just as easily wrapped it up in 2 or 3 episodes instead of 6. gently caress all happens, we've already been introduced to all the characters, and most of the mysteries are easily solved with no real new twists. It's just spinning its wheels for an extra couple hours.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

"Couple of hours" is being a bit hyperbolic when the whole second half was less than 2 1/2 hours long.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

DC Murderverse posted:

Beat Bobby Flay is one of my food-TV guilty pleasures; it's got two dish battles in the span of a half-hour, Bobby Flay is a good personality and he bounces off whoever he brings in well, and it's got a nice mix of "chefs I know" and "chefs I've never heard of", but I have to say, the idea that the "impartial judges" can't immediately figure out that the dish with fresno chilis or some other sort of shoehorned in chili is Bobby Flay's is laughable. That man has an addiction to chili peppers and needs an intervention.

I swear it's even simpler than that: his dish is eaten second 99% of the time. Doesn't stop me from enjoying it for what it is or recording it for background noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ha, I thought some of it felt Venture Bros-ish.