Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Free Drinks posted:

drat, even quartering the frames (which actually is hilarious, just nauseating) doesn't get it below 350Kb, let alone 150. Messing with the colors barely reduced it at all.

Well, at least halving the frames made it a little more adorable. Gobblin' up those noodles.

Can you edit it so he's only eating with the one claw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

my cat is norris posted:

Yeah, unfortunately the source art isn't super high res, so shrinking down the crabby to fit in the gang tag size limits results in some blur. :( I've tried cleaning it up a little but it still doesn't come out all that great.

ANYWAY here's the final/best as selected by you fine folks:

ContraBoss posted:

So...how do we actually acquire gang tags? Is this like a mod request thing?

ekuNNN posted:

This whole gangtag thing got started cause our trusty mod Beetwagon suggested they could help with it i think?

Hello my friends! I am sorry I have been away for a couple pages. If everyone likes this I will get it :siren:OFFICIALLY UPLOADED:siren: and then post a link to the SA hosted version here for you all to use in your future av purchases. Or you can bug the GBS mods to try and get one for free I guess, IDK. Just don't tell them I told you that.

Beet Wagon fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 23, 2018

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Beet Wagon posted:

Hello my friends! I am sorry I have been away for a couple pages. If everyone likes this I will get it :siren:OFFICIALLY UPLOADED:siren: and then post a link to the SA hosted version here for you all to use in your future av purchases. Or you can bug the GBS mods to try and get one for free I guess, IDK. Just don't tell them I told you that.

Yay!

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.

Beet Wagon posted:

You heard it fellas, we’re in! We can chill in the staff lounge now! Dibs on the dart board.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wooo! Contraboss go bug the gbs mods :v:

crab party!

Altair Knight
Jun 1, 2006

Furia posted:

Looking forward to the 14000ppm world :getin:

We shall. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonate_compensation_depth

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
We're already seeing the effects of higher co2 in plants- they are growing bigger faster like that crab but it's coming at a cost. I'm not sure the exact mechanism, but basically fruits and vegs are becoming less nutritious as plants exposed to higher co2 end up storing a huge amount of energy (sugar), which can crowd out other nutrients or something. The same is happening to pollen- it's far less protein dense as it once was (earliest samples are from like 1855 so not long ago at all). I think the best analogy I saw was that co2 is turning plants into junk food. I could talk about the implications for pollinators for days but its probly boring- all kinda scary tho! Also the openings in leaves that plants use for respiration are changing due to co2, which could lead to their exhaling less water/oxygen into the atmosphere which might be bad

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Before I officially pester the gibbis faculty, is there any way we can maybe get like a discreet white outline on the crab in logo? I mostly view SA in dark mode on my phone, and the crab doesn't show up at all, unfortunately. If I am like, the only one with this issue, then PLEASE disregard. ALSO, if this request is actually a bigger pain in the rear end than I imagined, then I won't bother and I'll just be on my merry way to tug at Genesplicer's labcoat, like this :kiddo:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ContraBoss posted:

Before I officially pester the gibbis faculty, is there any way we can maybe get like a discreet white outline on the crab in logo? I mostly view SA in dark mode on my phone, and the crab doesn't show up at all, unfortunately. If I am like, the only one with this issue, then PLEASE disregard. ALSO, if this request is actually a bigger pain in the rear end than I imagined, then I won't bother and I'll just be on my merry way to tug at Genesplicer's labcoat, like this :kiddo:

?

naem
May 29, 2011

Free Cheese posted:

We're already seeing the effects of higher co2 in plants- they are growing bigger faster like that crab but it's coming at a cost. I'm not sure the exact mechanism, but basically fruits and vegs are becoming less nutritious as plants exposed to higher co2 end up storing a huge amount of energy (sugar), which can crowd out other nutrients or something. The same is happening to pollen- it's far less protein dense as it once was (earliest samples are from like 1855 so not long ago at all). I think the best analogy I saw was that co2 is turning plants into junk food. I could talk about the implications for pollinators for days but its probly boring- all kinda scary tho! Also the openings in leaves that plants use for respiration are changing due to co2, which could lead to their exhaling less water/oxygen into the atmosphere which might be bad

Won't co2 cause plants to grow which will eventually suck up more co2 and pee out more o2, eventually making the atmosphere o2'er'er and then cause another ice age?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

ContraBoss posted:

Gimme a few, I'll try something!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Now made with Photoshop! Because I'm at home, and not stuck in the office with GIMP.

(It looks SO MUCH CLEANER, my goodness. Tool choice absolutely matters.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ContraBoss posted:

I'll check back later for a finalized version. If I disappear again just send me a PM or something.

Don't wanna make the admins do more work than they have to :D

e:

my cat is norris posted:

Now made with Photoshop! Because I'm at home, and not stuck in the office with GIMP.

(It looks SO MUCH CLEANER, my goodness. Tool choice absolutely matters.)

wow, that looks worlds better! I should get photoshop lol

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Beet Wagon posted:

wow, that looks worlds better! I should get photoshop lol

Please let me know if it's exceeding any size limits! :neckbeard:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I shrank this one down to the 150px width limit just in case the 180px is actually too large. I tested the other one by trying the whole "buy an avatar" form thing, but, just in case...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

That's so considerate! I don't think there should be a problem with the 180px one but I'll ask because I'm often wrong about many things (except loving crabs)

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Dude....perfect...

Thank you so much

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

my cat is norris posted:

I shrank this one down to the 150px width limit just in case the 180px is actually too large. I tested the other one by trying the whole "buy an avatar" form thing, but, just in case...

this looks great

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ContraBoss posted:

Dude....perfect...

Thank you so much

That seems like a seal of approval. I’ll get the process started. It usually takes some time so everyone just post crabs and I’ll let you know when I hear back!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Dude, have you just been knocking out these casual masterpieces for the sake the thread?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

I'm absolutely in awe at the speed of this lass. Absolute unit

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Wait if you rotate (flip vertical actually) the grenade the handle would be more visible and look like less of a crab leg but dunno how it will look

Also I was not able to order 27 emerald crabs as in my previous there's

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
This is my new favorite crab that I learned about this week.

The furred sponge crab!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furred_sponge_crab
They place a piece of sea sponge on their back to camouflage and protect against predators. Over the time the sponge can grow to cover the whole crab!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQC4_pq11LQ
Stylish.

Nice Guy Patron fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 24, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
My god is it possible to keep in an aquarium?

Are there any decorator crabs who have used sponges?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Free drinks it may be possible to use gifv, or even buy a blank av with an img tag to the real av and leave it hosted somewhere else

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015
The you tube link is from a company called aquarium depot so it sounds like you can keep them in a tank.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I didn't see it when I posted. Bet it's not easy. The crab will be v sad if its coat dies.

If crabs had a society what would their civic values be?

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
Sorry about the crab avs, I thought they had to be under a megabyte. I did manage to redo the noodle crab to be under 150kb. I hope it's alright:

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I find it odd sometimes the threads that really pique my interest on SA. This thread loving rocks, I love you crabby bastards.

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I didn't see it when I posted. Bet it's not easy. The crab will be v sad if its coat dies.

If crabs had a society what would their civic values be?

Walking sideways would definitely be a law. Are crabs known for working together? Cooperation maybe.

Also, Look out

ZOMBIE CRABS

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

This is what I'm talking about!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Mozi posted:

one crab, talking to another crab

'did you see lenny yesterday? so ugly - i swear, that crab is practically re-molt-ing!'

Just wanted to let you know that I lol'ed at this :)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I find it odd sometimes the threads that really pique my interest on SA. This thread loving rocks, I love you crabby bastards.

That’s what it’s all about sometimes, friend. I knew from experience that crabs were always way more entertaining for me to watch, especially in an aquatic environment where most of the attention is on the fish and sea mammals that I never really care about. Crabs, whether under water or where the beach meets the forest, are ALWAYS quirky and doing something funny, and almost always being complete dicks to each other and other organisms around them.

Crabs own.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:perfect:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Wait if you rotate (flip vertical actually) the grenade the handle would be more visible and look like less of a crab leg but dunno how it will look

I think I'm done messing with the tag at this point, I think it looks pretty cool as is! Plus the original image isn't in layers so flipping its components would be more than a minute's work and I am so so lazy, so lazy.

Sponge crab looks so pettable...

Nice Guy Patron
Jun 29, 2015

This is cool. What game is it from?

Also, if any poster who cares for their own hermit crabs/other crabs could point me in the direction of a basic care guide that would be awesome. Depending on what they require I might get into crabbin.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Beet Wagon posted:

That seems like a seal of approval. I’ll get the process started. It usually takes some time so everyone just post crabs and I’ll let you know when I hear back!

Thanks for doing all that. Obviously, I don’t have the clearest picture of what happens behind the scenes of SA, but I know with mod support we can certainly get more crabby poo poo underway!! *snip snip!*

Also, A HUUUUUUGE THANK YOU to all of the crab crew for climbing out of the nooks and crannies like you do, and contributing to make this thread what it’s become! I originally just wanted to share my love for nature’s most clever jerks, but you all really took me by surprise with the shared interest, and honestly, caught me completely off guard with the attention this thread has received.

Peace be upon all you lovelies for bringing fourth Something Clawful!!!! Thank you!!!! :neckbeard: :woop: :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

my dog died im sad posted:

This is cool. What game is it from?

Also, if any poster who cares for their own hermit crabs/other crabs could point me in the direction of a basic care guide that would be awesome. Depending on what they require I might get into crabbin.

Wooo buddy are you prepared to open Pandora’s box? Let me put it this way; You have to be willing to basically simulate an environment where the warm and humid sandy beaches meet the forest in order to get the most enjoyment out of your crabbabies! This isn’t meant to discourage you, but more of a heads up that it’s waaay more than what the buffoons at most major pet retailers will inform you of. I’ll get you some links here in just a minute because I love sharing the joy the lil’ pinchies bring for those who are serious yet compassionate about crabs and/or hermit crabs.