Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Tekopo posted:

So I’ve read PSS, The Scar, Iron Council, Embassytown and TC&TC. What next?
That's basically it for really great Mieville. There are some good short stories though.

This Census Taker is probably my favorite outside of those. Railsea is also pretty good. You could read Kraken, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I like Last Days of New Paris a lot. Not on the level of Scar or Embassytown but it's definitely one of his better works and all the winks at surrealist art and poetry are extremely enjoyable.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'd go for Looking for Jake. It's a great set of stories.

Lowen
Mar 16, 2007

Adorable.

Tekopo posted:

So I’ve read PSS, The Scar, Iron Council, Embassytown and TC&TC. What next?

Seconding Three Moments of an Explosion. I just finished reading it and there are a lot of really amazing short stories in it.

chimi changa
Sep 23, 2017

SaviourX posted:

I think he was trying to make some point about Deus Ex Machinae, but it got lost. PSS is a solid book that falters in places.

That was the only thing that really bothered me in the story, what other parts are generally regarded as faltering?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
This Census Taker didn't do anything for me, I may just have missed something about the story but it didn't really feel like there was anything to it.
On the other hand i really liked Last Days of New Paris, it was a little slow at first, but it picked up once you got through the opening.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tree Bucket posted:

I've got no idea what mid 90's big pants rave culture is, but your phrasing conjured up a pretty magical mental image of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkxGs4ETeg4

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

King Rat: Literally this but with magic

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

It's better slowed down to 115bpm.

https://techno-dads.com/2011/11/07/radio-soulwax-this-is-belgium-part-two-cherry-moon-on-valium/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7HDRNpWWQ

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Help, I can't stop watching these

On another note, the Brucolac's rather drawn-out execution in Scar is exactly what it feels like when you get sunburned in Australia and try to go outside the following day.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Tree Bucket posted:

Help, I can't stop watching these

On another note, the Brucolac's rather drawn-out execution in Scar is exactly what it feels like when you get sunburned in Australia and try to go outside the following day.

Did he actually die? I can't remember.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Benson Cunningham posted:

Did he actually die? I can't remember.

he is ultimately spared, but is in very, very bad shape after

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
China uses the phrase "stained with his emissions" to describe the state of the deck after the Brucolac's spent all day melting all over it, which has always stuck in my head as a uniquely hideous bit of phrasing even by Mievillian standards.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

One thing I really like about the Scar is that everyone is terrified of the Brucolac except for Uther Doul because to him vampires are junkies and beggars since he grew up in a place where they are the lowest part of the social order.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Everything about the Scar is great except Uther Doul

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

andrew smash posted:

Everything about the Scar is great except Uther Doul

Agreed. The whole master plan works out perfectly thing is just awful.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Yeah, also you could just cut him out of the book and basically nothing would need to change. He’s really bad.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

a foolish pianist posted:

Agreed. The whole master plan works out perfectly thing is just awful.

The book would be better if they went with Bellis initial revelation that he's just a borderline autistic weirdo who's emptied his mind of everything that doesn't have to do with martial arts (and breathing). Bellis, Silas, Armada, even the reader think he's got some kind of a plan because he's in a position of power and supremely competent in certain very specific fields. Going with it doesn't just undermine the ending, it's also predictable and cliche.

FreudianSlippers posted:

One thing I really like about the Scar is that everyone is terrified of the Brucolac except for Uther Doul because to him vampires are junkies and beggars since he grew up in a place where they are the lowest part of the social order.

I'd say the lack of fear is more that he's effectively a level 20 player character with all the artifact equipment, bullshit abilities, and disregard for the safety of himself and others that that implies. The speech is one third trash talk, one third salient point about how their individual capability for violence is only valuable if approved by society, and one third trying to share something about himself to someone he shares a weird sociopathic friendship with. Doul would actually be a decent character if he just had half as much screentime and was ultimately ineffectual.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
After much hemming and hawing and staring blankly at my bookshelf, I've decided to start Perdido Street Station.

I'm trying to plow through a bunch of my Goodreads "to-read" books - a list that's currently at 1,500 - and PSS is #10 on the list.

In terms of reading Mieville's stuff, I'm still a little bit of a newbie. I've read the shorter works (Census, Last Days) and Railsea is one of my fave books ever.

It's very cool and exciting so far - I'm at the part where Isaac and his new Geruda friend have made their deal - and I love New Crobuzon.

Just wanted to let the forum know. PSS was probably the starting point for everyone here so I'm just bringin' in some nostalgia for all y'all.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Captain Hotbutt posted:

After much hemming and hawing and staring blankly at my bookshelf, I've decided to start Perdido Street Station.

I'm trying to plow through a bunch of my Goodreads "to-read" books - a list that's currently at 1,500 - and PSS is #10 on the list.

In terms of reading Mieville's stuff, I'm still a little bit of a newbie. I've read the shorter works (Census, Last Days) and Railsea is one of my fave books ever.

It's very cool and exciting so far - I'm at the part where Isaac and his new Geruda friend have made their deal - and I love New Crobuzon.

Just wanted to let the forum know. PSS was probably the starting point for everyone here so I'm just bringin' in some nostalgia for all y'all.

That's cool! Read The Scar next :3:

I should do a full Bas-Lag re-read (also Railsea again)

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

That's cool! Read The Scar next :3:

I should do a full Bas-Lag re-read (also Railsea again)

I know Railsea isn't everyone's cup of tea in this forum - because it slants towards YA? - but for me it just felt so adventurous and exhilarating. There was a propulsion all throughout, where his other books don't have that super-forward momentum. Obviously building out New Crobuzon or post-surreal bomb Paris is important but I love that Railsea just shoots you off on a grand mission and mystery.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I really like Railsea because it has the same kind of weird and strange feeling to its world that makes the Bas-Lag books so interesting, so the YA aspect really doesn't bother me.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

China's sendoff of Ursula Le Guin is real good.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

chimi changa posted:

That was the only thing that really bothered me in the story, what other parts are generally regarded as faltering?

That's mostly it. The bits that seem like they're supposed to be RPG homage don't really hit often, either (except for the dipshit adventurers, but ymmv depending on the groups you played with). And some ideas don't really breathe, another page or two about the handlingers or construct would be okay, or just cut some of the scenery. Imo.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Just finished re reading Railsea. It's just so much fun, and those last few chapters come together beautifully. Although now i can't stop giggling at the idea of "Railsea, but with trampolines instead of rails."

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

The Entire Perdido Street Station Audiobook but Every Time They Say Lascivious it Gets Faster

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Microcline posted:

The Entire Perdido Street Station Audiobook but Every Time They Say Lascivious it Gets Faster

I was gonna suggest using "puissant"

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Add "cosseted" and the whole thing, unabridged, would run maybe 15 minutes.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So is City and the City 100% realistic, or is there some sci/fi fantasy stuff at work there? I could never quite tell

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I mean, it's certainly fantastical in the sense that Beszel/Ul Qoma 100% don't exist in real life. Other than that, though, you could definitely say it's very much based in reality.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Social science fiction.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

shovelbum posted:

So is City and the City 100% realistic, or is there some sci/fi fantasy stuff at work there? I could never quite tell

The overwatch or whatever the hell they were called had sci-fi guns and there were vague hints that the whole thing was caused by some breakdown in reality centuries ago, but that’s about it.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Bituminous

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

The overwatch or whatever the hell they were called had sci-fi guns and there were vague hints that the whole thing was caused by some breakdown in reality centuries ago, but that’s about it.

Breach.

Also iirc wasn't the reality breakdown/Orciny portion of the mythos proved to be literally that--myth--by the end of the book? It's been a while since I read it so I could be wrong.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

shovelbum posted:

Doesn't it really really Matrixy at the end with trenchcoat guys flying all over the place and shooting magical weapons and stuff

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I definitely can't remember any sci-fi/magic elements in TC&C and I read it for the first time just last year. From what I recall, Breach was shadowy and mysterious, but still ultimately mundane.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I also don't remember any actual scifi.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yeah, I felt that the most fun part of TC&C was gradually uncovering the idea that Breach are not actually magical at all, and that the spooky stuff is just in the onlookers' heads.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I’ve always imagined Breach as the CDA and thought Mieville was ripping off Monsters, Inc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

it felt fantastic early on, it slowly eroded throughout the book. by the end you could tell it was just regular people. i wanna read this again now. i remember it being such a fascinating read.