Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Bolton is a crazy insane rear end in a top hat whose longstanding goal is take us to war, mainly with Iran but I'm sure he could find time for Korea as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Mozi posted:

Bolton is a crazy insane rear end in a top hat whose longstanding goal is take us to war, mainly with Iran but I'm sure he could find time for Korea as well.

You don't think Mattis would be able to stop him?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Willo567 posted:

You don't think Mattis would be able to stop him?

Why do you think Mattis wants to stop him?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Paradoxish posted:

Why do you think Mattis wants to stop him?

Because Bolton is a crazy rear end mother fucker who's willing to let millions die?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Yes, Bolton is way the gently caress crazier than Mattis. I'm challenging your assumption that Mattis isn't also a hawk on North Korea. The view that there are adults in the room with this administration is not a good one. There are no adults.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Yes, Bolton is way the gently caress crazier than Mattis. I'm challenging your assumption that Mattis isn't also a hawk on North Korea. The view that there are adults in the room with this administration is not a good one. There are no adults.

One hawk isn't necessarily the same as another one. There are a large number of positions to hold that are horrifying but less agressive then advocating pre-empetive war.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Willo567 posted:

So, how much worse will the situation with NK get if Bolton replaces McMaster?

I know that McMaster was pushing for a bloody nose strike, so I'm not sure how different it would be under Bolton

I operate on the mentality that if I'm not getting bombarded by my Korean coworlers fears about North Korea then its not all that bad at the moment. I know thats head in the sand style thinking but it is also how you can live here without constantly being in a state of panic like most news media wants to make you feel.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Mattis has led Marines in combat which makes a big difference from the Boltons of America.

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Mozi posted:

Bolton

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

the Boltons of America.

I think I'm missing something here, you're talking about Michael Bolton?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Nucken Futz posted:

I think I'm missing something here, you're talking about Michael Bolton?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BaMx_n2_hM

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
If only.

We speak of the great mustachioed one - the dire walrus, whose complete inability to be proven correct on anything is no impediment to his continued relevance.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's not a moustache, it's a portable soup and salad bar.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/ap/status/967041471911288833

Our government is really dumb

e:
https://twitter.com/cnni/status/967064635374493696

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 23, 2018

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/967023015035797504

We still have no ambassador to South Korea, but I guess Ivanka will do?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/martyn_williams/status/967079676211478528
https://twitter.com/TimothyS/status/967110569634516992

https://twitter.com/suzannedimaggio/status/967057611177844736

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 23, 2018

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/967023015035797504

We still have no ambassador to South Korea, but I guess Ivanka will do?

It makes total sense, since Trump wants people who are loyal to him personally to go rather than people who have a clue but feel more loyalty to themselves or, god forbid, the country.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/967120834862178304

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I don't even know how to process this poo poo anymore

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Chomskyan posted:

Phase 2 is Trump runs for president of North Korea.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Chomskyan posted:

The easy way is with lots of booze but I can say from experience that's it's not the best way.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Part of me wonders what the loving point is when it seems like we're all going to die because of loving Trump

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Willo567 posted:

Part of me wonders what the loving point is when it seems like we're all going to die because of loving Trump
I've always wanted to see a mushroom cloud.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
nah

millions of koreans will die

for americans it’s the token grunts on the border plus some tourists and sexpats maybe?

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
North Korea can nuke the US mainland, right?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Telephones posted:

I don't think that ability has been demonstrated yet.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
It has nukes, and it has missiles, but nothing yet about nukes on missiles.

Apparently they also have issues with re-entry. But hey, it's not like anything's stopping them from advancing their weapons programme.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Telephones posted:

Nobody really knows

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Is Phase 2 where we demand 10 billion in gold bullion or we fire the Doomsday Device or was that Phase 3?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How would the new sanctions even work? Barring shipping companies that trade with North Korea from trading with the United States? Because I don't think Not-North-Korea-Shipping makes calls to American ports.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
Can't wait for the global economy to crash as sgt. spraytan melts the entire peninsula plus japan, filmed on smartphones.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Chomskyan posted:

Donald Trump is the belligerent type of senile.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Telephones posted:

If we launched an overwhelming attack out of nowhere? Probably unlikely, but technically possible. They could certainly hurt Korea, Japan, Guam, etc - they have some dozens of nuclear weapons by now, I believe.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The new sanctions seem to boil down to this. The violators of the existing sanctions will be penalized, here's the list of violators. Which is not really new sanctions.

So of course many Trump supporters will just hear "toughest sanctions" and think it's bold leadership.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Mozi posted:

If we launched an overwhelming attack out of nowhere? Probably unlikely, but technically possible. They could certainly hurt Korea, Japan, Guam, etc - they have some dozens of nuclear weapons by now, I believe.

Wouldn't North Korea mostly focus on waying waste on South Korea rather than worrying about Japan as well?

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Willo567 posted:

Wouldn't North Korea mostly focus on waying waste on South Korea rather than worrying about Japan as well?

There are US bases in Japan so it would likely be a primary target

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

RandomPauI posted:

How would the new sanctions even work? Barring shipping companies that trade with North Korea from trading with the United States? Because I don't think Not-North-Korea-Shipping makes calls to American ports.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKCN1G72UY

quote:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration and key Asian allies are preparing to expand interceptions of ships suspected of violating sanctions on North Korea, a plan that could include deploying U.S. Coast Guard forces to stop and search vessels in Asia-Pacific waters, senior U.S. officials said.

Washington has been talking to regional partners, including Japan, South Korea, Australia and Singapore, about coordinating a stepped-up crackdown that would go further than ever before in an attempt to squeeze Pyongyang’s use of seagoing trade to feed its nuclear missile program, several officials told Reuters.

While suspect ships have been intercepted before, the emerging strategy would expand the scope of such operations but stop short of imposing a naval blockade on North Korea. Pyongyang has warned it would consider a blockade an act of war.

The strategy calls for closer tracking and possible seizure of ships suspected of carrying banned weapons components and other prohibited cargo to or from North Korea, according to the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity. Depending on the scale of the campaign, the United States could consider beefing up the naval and air power of its Pacific Command, they said.

This is the plan and I think it's very risky. The stopping and possible boarding and seizure of ships, even those violating sanctions, by the US or it's allies sounds like an international incident waiting to happen.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

OhFunny posted:

This is the plan and I think it's very risky. The stopping and possible boarding and seizure of ships, even those violating sanctions, by the US or it's allies sounds like an international incident waiting to happen.

A US ship involved in this is going to be attacked at some point. North Korea (probably) sunk an ROKN ship just for shits and giggles in the middle of a joint exercise with the US.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Gulf of Tonkin 2: Korean Boogaloo.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

OhFunny posted:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKCN1G72UY

If they're doing this in international waters, isn't that piracy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Gorilla Salad posted:

If they're doing this in international waters, isn't that piracy?

I mean, they'd be enforcing sanctions approved by the UN Security Council, so not not exactly piracy, no. It still sounds like the sort of thing that could go south quickly, especially if it's the Coast Guard. If I were smuggling oil to NK I'd probably think twice if the US Navy were after me, but the Coast Guard? Pff, I'll take my chances.